Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bruce Allen, Scot McCloughlan, Jay Gruden, and all that stuff like that there

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

But I'm a little fuzzy on the action they took.  This may come out later as the story develops, but if it's the drinking, what was sending him home gonna do if it doesn't involve rehab?   

If it's not the drinking and it's a personality conflict or some professional incompatibility, what was sending him home supposed to do?  It's like an adult version of go sit in the corner and don't come out until you wanna get with the program.

I personally think if they're not being sensitive to some personal problem, they shoulda just cut him loose after the season and before the Senior Bowl.  Clean break.  Gun while it lasted, didn't work out.  The WWE future endeavor treatment.

#1: Can't make someone go to rehab...can't let them be at work drunk either

#2: Maybe for a cooling off period? This situation is the main issue I think people fear is happening...ie Allen vs GMSM.

#3: Already been discussed...the team isn't going to let the guy with the plan leave before FA and the draft...just not gonna happen.

48 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The Post is reporting that he was not at Redskins Park today for the first day of free agent negotiations.  So either this guy really really loved his grandmother or maybe there was a lot of truth to all of these reports all along.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/07/scot-mccloughan-not-at-redskins-park-for-start-of-free-agent-negotiations/?utm_term=.e6e6575c7277

I'm not going to speculate or jump to conclusions  about what is going on with Scot I'm just going to wait and see how this whole thing plays out.

53 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

The Post is reporting that he was not at Redskins Park today for the first day of free agent negotiations.  So either this guy really really loved his grandmother or maybe there was a lot of truth to all of these reports all along.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/03/07/scot-mccloughan-not-at-redskins-park-for-start-of-free-agent-negotiations/?utm_term=.e6e6575c7277

The problem is there are multiple different conflicting reports.

First you have the notion that he's absent because of a "family" issue.

Then you have the allegations that he's absent because he began drinking again.

But then there's other statements suggesting it's because of a power battle between him and Allen.

Yet I've seen mention of other suggestions that it's actually due to disagreements between him and Gruden that is at the heart of it all.

The problem with saying "a lot of truth to all of these reports all along" is the fact that there's been a TON of different reports, with many of them not requiring others to be true if it is true. For example, the reports about a rift between Allen and Scot could be true without there being any truth to the drinking allegations, as just one example of this.

That is the problem...or rather, the reason people are skeptical...of "media" reports from people who like to present themselves like journalists, but instead act like talking heads, who simply just throw out a ton of various conjecture in hopes of something sticking. There's likely something here, but WHAT exactly it is is yet to actually flesh out. And given this teams history, I'm not apt to be pointing the blame at any individual or group until some more definite answers comes out.

So, if all the worst of the rumors are true there is an upside. Allen's drafts with Shanny were actually not all that bad. His free agent pick ups were pretty good too. Trent Williams, Cousins, Kerrigan, etc. were all Allen picks. Yes, Allen had a bad rep as a talent evaluator in Tampa, but if we look over his drafts here and how he managed the cap, we did okay.

If McCloughan really is out for whatever reason, I still hope we beef up the scouting and personnel department, but we're not utterly screwed this year.

Up to now, I'd been deciding to accept the Skins 'official' explanation (McCloughan's absence due to personal matters associated with a death in the family) over the swirling cloud of tweets, twitters, media speculations, radio-inspired rumors, and WaPo suggestions of byzantine machinations and intrigue.

And why not?  There's some logical basis (Occam's Razor) in assuming the simplest explanation is the best place to start; Moreover, this approach has often served me well - especially in dealing with today's hyperbolic media hourly news-spasms -- and for staying level until the actual truth finally comes out.  And I suspect I'll  continue this approach, it helps to center me and to avoid any obsessive over-reactions to each new 'shock-piece' the media puts out.

....But with so much conjecture and FO stonewalling now swirling around the GM's status, I will have to concede and no longer accept the simple "official explanation" from the Skins.  More to the point I've been convinced that it's probably no longer prudent to assume that there's any logic applicable to how the Skins FO conducts itself.  The way the FO has conducted itself in trying to ease McCloughan out of any authoritative role in the Skins organization brings back memories of the Zorn era and the last days of the "Shanahan-watch".

...And, wow, what awful timing of the FO to decide on this dysfunctional maneuver!  It's just sad.

12 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

#1: Can't make someone go to rehab...can't let them be at work drunk either

#2: Maybe for a cooling off period? This situation is the main issue I think people fear is happening...ie Allen vs GMSM.

#3: Already been discussed...the team isn't going to let the guy with the plan leave before FA and the draft...just not gonna happen.

Can't make someone go to rehab and can't let them come you work drunk. Both true statements.  But if both of those things are true, that usually that results in getting fired.  

GMs get fired all the time, they're not all on Black Monday or after the draft. Grigson got fired a week before the Senior Bowl, it happens.  I mean, NOW you probably wouldn't do it, but after the season and before the combine woulda been reasonable if cutting him loose was on the table.

7 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

The problem is there are multiple different conflicting reports.

First you have the notion that he's absent because of a "family" issue.

Then you have the allegations that he's absent because he began drinking again.

But then there's other statements suggesting it's because of a power battle between him and Allen.

Yet I've seen mention of other suggestions that it's actually due to disagreements between him and Gruden that is at the heart of it all.

The problem with saying "a lot of truth to all of these reports all along" is the fact that there's been a TON of different reports, with many of them not requiring others to be true if it is true. For example, the reports about a rift between Allen and Scot could be true without there being any truth to the drinking allegations, as just one example of this.

That is the problem...or rather, the reason people are skeptical...of "media" reports from people who like to present themselves like journalists, but instead act like talking heads, who simply just throw out a ton of various conjecture in hopes of something sticking.

Well the death of the grandmother story came from SM.  I still am laughing at the posters who actually believed that story had any truth what so ever to it, that is amazing to me.. The team said "personal reasons" which is  generic answer that is fine as far as I'm concerned, no need to elaborate.  

The other events are purely speculation and are reported as such.  As the team is being tight lipped on the reason, as they should be as this is a personal situation, we can only guess as the reason. But whatever the reason it's pretty clear that the In Scott We Trust era is over and that really sucks. 

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

1988 here, though I wasnt necessarily born into it. I chose to carry this burden

1988 here too brother. I was born into it as well. My grandfather on my mothers side used to get me skins gear as a baby and young kid. Not to mention he was a diehard and a good man. It hurts me that the team is such a dissapointment. I wish he was here to at least vent with me. 

...and somewhere the mastermind Kirk Cousins sits and strokes a fluffy white cat, and thinks of how to put lasers on Bruce Allen's head.

So, the way i see it, Kirk will sign next Thursday for 5 years 128 million with 68 guaranteed, and Scott McCloughan's head on a plate.

~Bang

7 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Why would any free agent want one come to this team.

Wait NM we overpay everyone. Well except for our own that is. Hm

My best memories were Sean Taylor and well yeah we all know how that ended. To be fair I do remember D.Green sucked when he retired as well.

6 minutes ago, Burgold said:

So, if all the worst of the rumors are true there is an upside. Allen's drafts with Shanny were actually not all that bad. His free agent pick ups were pretty good too. Trent Williams, Cousins, Kerrigan, etc. were all Allen picks. Yes, Allen had a bad rep as a talent evaluator in Tampa, but if we look over his drafts here and how he managed the cap, we did okay.

If McCloughan really is out for whatever reason, I still hope we beef up the scouting and personnel department, but we're not utterly screwed this year.

Allen absolutely cannot do anything right under any circumstance.  I thought you knew that?  You've been a member of this board long enough to know that. 

/Sarcasm

Actually, there's really only 1 thing that Allen has failed at spectacularly: He (maybe at the behest of the owner) sided with Griffin over Shanahan.  And then forced Gruden to use Griffin when it was pretty clear, at that point, Griffin was a useless collection of injury-prone bones.

Oh, and the damn freaking yellow pants.  They suck, and should be retired forever. 

Other than that, he brought in a sense of fiscal responsibility.  The one draft where he was "on his own" (2014) wasn't terrible (Murphy, Moses, Long, Breeland, Grant).  The FA pickups were "eh" at times, but he got a few good ones. 

Shrug. 

In GMSM's 2 draft classes, he's hit on some and whiffed on others.  Matt Jones appears to be a 3rd round whiff, but he got Crowder and Arie K. in the 4th.  Doctson seems destined to be like the player never to be mentioned from the draft we do not speak of, but eh, it's still early. 

Again, shrug. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Other health reasons...maybe he's the one who got the PEDs for Murphy lol...nude photos of him and Russini have surfaced...he was overheard saying "I'd tap that ass" about Snyder's wife...shoes don't fit...socks don't match...take your pick.

Dogs and Cats living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!

40 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I'll just leave this here....... ?

Gotta say this pic is step 1 in our GM turning into Randy Quaid 2.0.  :)

8 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

1988 here, though I wasnt necessarily born into it. I chose to carry this burden

7 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I know you're not talking about me, but I was born in 1985. Guess what all I remember is garbage 32 years old and this team has been nothing but garbage. 

I don't remember 1991 just so we're clear.

6 minutes ago, Rattlesnake88 said:

1988 here too brother. I was born into it as well. My grandfather on my mothers side used to get me skins gear as a baby and young kid. Not to mention he was a diehard and a good man. It hurts me that the team is such a dissapointment. I wish he was here to at least vent with me. 

I am 1976.  It's amazing what just 9-12 years makes.  I was 6 when the 'Skins won their first SB, which I kinda remember, and 15 when they won their last.  Which I absolutely remember clear as day.  I was young during the glory years, but I remember them.  When they had a losing season in 1993, and Gibbs WASN'T the coach, it was a complete shock.  I didn't know how that could possibly be.  What a silly 17 year old I was. 

I really do feel for the younger of our fans, because at least I know what it feels like to root for a perennial winner.  Honestly, if I didn't have that, I probably would have called it quits by now and started following women's college lacrosse (reference to a West Wing line)..  But I've been a 'Skins fan longer than I've been anything in my life.

4 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Dogs and Cats living together...MASS HYSTERIA!!!

Gotta say this pic is step 1 in our GM turning into Randy Quaid 2.0.  :)

Would remove pic from quote.  Don't get hit with the ban hammer!

Archived