Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Jones Monday night

Go_skins

23 minutes ago, Gregpeck99 said:

Kelley scores at least two TDs.

Although I don't care how we score.  Pittsburgh has a decent defense, more against the run.  They only gave up 6 rushing TDs last year.

Also keep in mind the Redskins and Cousins do like to toss it around in the Red Zone.  79 pass attempts (6 most in the league) inside the 20, which included 50 completions and 22 TD's, to go along with 0 ints.  A lot of receiving options down there.

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I expect the fumbles, from all backs. **** happens.

It's the injuries and what may even be a lack of polished running, for lack of a better phrase. He just looks.... raw - as @skins4eva said.

I thought backs are supposed to be ready to roll, less what seems to be some blocking to learn.

I don't recall Marshawn Lynch being a world beater early in his career with the Bills despite being a high draft pick. And I know The Scot compares Jones to him - perhaps it may take a little time for him to get in the "groove"?

2 hours ago, illone said:

Too injury prone and too old for this GM.  Just throw R. Kelly in the game, he is a natural runner and perfect for the power scheme that Callahan wants to run.

Charles is a shiny object, don't do it man!

If they just threw R. Kelley in the game, then I'll be pissed.

. . .  I'll see myself out.

59 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

I don't recall Marshawn Lynch being a world beater early in his career with the Bills despite being a high draft pick. And I know The Scot compares Jones to him - perhaps it may take a little time for him to get in the "groove"?

I've been trying to stress this for some time now, but it's fallen on deaf ears for the most part. It seems people go overboard with the fact that RBs are usually plug and play. It's true, but there are plenty of exceptions. 

Some of the best backs on the league right now had to grow into their roles. It took some time. Some of them would start hot, then drop off, then get it back together. It's not always, "oh, he's a RB, he can just get thrown in there and look good right now". 

The thing about Matt, as well, is that he didn't get a whole lot of carries at Florida. So if anyone needs some seasoning, it's him. 

For me, I'm just pleased the team has recognized his size and athleticism as being worthy of development and patience. I think they're looking at him as more of a long term project guy than most fans, and I believe that's the smart thing to do. 

1 hour ago, bird_1972 said:

Good point. At least he didn't break a hand over him thus far! 

Jones didn't log a ton of carries in college, not necessarily a bad thing, which also fits the needing more time than a fully polished short shelf life just graduated college back theory. 

Marshawn was a beast coming out of Cal when he was drafted.  he earned the high draft pick, and did quite well in Buffalo despite always being on a losing team.  He had 1K+ yards as a rookie.

I could see some of the comparisons with Jones being similar size, frame, etc,  but Beastmode was NFL ready when he came into the league.

We let Alfred, a serviceable back who is among the leaders over the past 4 seasons, with 2 probowls under his belt, go for this.  So what if his production was declining.  Jones is vomit-inducing. 

Pierre Thomas, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Scot has made some piss poor decisions this last offseason. 

I was just rolling with the punches after the first quarter, did anyone not named Jones carry the ball for us?

Jones ran the ball 7 times for 24 yards (3.4 average)
Thompson ran it 4 times for 23 yards and a 5.8 average.

So we ran it 11 times.... not counting Kirks' scramble in garbage time

That's like Andy Reid bad.

8 minutes ago, Veretax said:

I was just rolling with the punches after the first quarter, did anyone not named Jones carry the ball for us?

Jones ran the ball 7 times for 24 yards (3.4 average)
Thompson ran it 4 times for 23 yards and a 5.8 average.

So we ran it 11 times.... not counting Kirks' scramble in garbage time

That's like Andy Reid bad.

I've never liked how often Jay passes, but a 4:1 ratio of passes to runs is bad even for him. No wonder the Steelers sat in zone all night and got INTs. We need more balance on offense  

I would like to see Jay commit to establishing the run, but history tells us that just is not who he is. 

Archived