Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Fla. police shoot black man with his hands up as he tries to help autistic patient

Sticksboi05

Police in South Florida shot an unarmed black caretaker Monday as he tried to help his autistic patient.

Charles Kinsey was trying to retrieve a young autistic man who had wandered away from an assisted living facility and was blocking traffic when Kinsey was shot by a North Miami police officer.

In cellphone footage of the incident that emerged Wednesday, Kinsey can be seen lying on the ground with his hands in the air, trying to calm the autistic man and defuse the situation seconds before he is shot.

“All he has is a toy truck in his hand,” Kinsey can be heard saying in the video as police officers with assault rifles hide behind telephone poles approximately 30 feet away.

“That’s all it is,” the caretaker says. “There is no need for guns.”

Seconds later, off camera, one of the officers fired his weapon three times.

Full story: Fla. police shoot black man with his hands up as he tries to help autistic patient

Just saw this somewhere else too. So ****ing angry! This is getting ridiculous. I always knew the unfortunate truth that black people were being murdered by police, but I didn't realize it was THIS bad. Helping an autistic person with your hands in the air?!?!?! The death penalty is too good for these pieces of ****. I don't care that nobody died. That POS officer is an "accident" waiting to happen. Death.

This has to be the one. It HAS to be. How are they going to poke holes in this story?

What do you mean by "the one"? 

As for this case, it's just unexplainable - that guy appeared to be totally compliant, and was not a threat whatsoever. 

Noting that there are, apparently, two videos, neither of which actually shows the shooting.  (One ends before the shooting, and the other one starts after the shooting is over.) 

Still, it certainly sounds really, really, bad. 

(And some of the bystanders comments on the video are really terrible.  "Why'd they shoot the black boy instead of the fat boy?"  "Cause of the thing with the blacks, y'know?") 

Yeah but does he have any history of traffic tickets?

They were both obstructing traffic. 

What do you mean by "the one"?

As for this case, it's just unexplainable - that guy appeared to be totally compliant, and was not a threat whatsoever.

Maybe they meant "one to finally set off the national level change of when deadly force should be used by law enforcement". That's what I want, gun should be last resort, not first. That coulda hit an artery, Sean Taylor style.

Just saw this somewhere else too. So ****ing angry! This is getting ridiculous. I always knew the unfortunate truth that black people were being murdered by police, but I didn't realize it was THIS bad. Helping an autistic person with your hands in the air?!?!?! The death penalty is too good for these pieces of ****. I don't care that nobody died. That POS officer is an "accident" waiting to happen. Death.

In all actuality, it's probably better than it was, at least for blacks in the South.  Read up on cases like the Groveland Four sometime.  This sort of things was, sadly, all too common.  These days, we're finally able to get these incidents on video and not have to rely on only one side's account of the interaction. 

The view just before the shot was fired.  The counselor who was shot is the black guy flat on his back with his arms in the air, telling the autistic man to stay still, and yelling to the police that his companion is autistic and that the object in the autistic man's hands is a toy truck.

uzvfwj8vgdrborv3y8y0.png

Maybe they meant "one to finally set off the national level change of when deadly force should be used by law enforcement". That's what I want, gun should be last resort, not first. That coulda hit an artery, Sean Taylor style.

Isn't that already the policy of every major police force?  I'm not saying that's the policy they actually follow, but what they say they follow. 

"why they shoot the black boy and not the fat boy"    Classic

Doesn't appear to be any good reason.   Does video exist of the actual shooting?   Certainly they captured it too.  I know as a cop they are accustomed to hearing all kinds of crap from suspects, and have to take everything with a grain of salt,  but they still need to exercise some common sense.    The scene fit exactly what the guy was telling them.  

"Why did you shoot me?"

"I don't know."

Was that in the video in the linked article?   What was the time stamp they say that?

Re-watching the video you hear one of the people involved in the recording say she doesn't know who is guilty.  Why did they cut the shooting out.  Did the autistic guy try to get up and the black dude move to pull him down?  There was a report of a gun and until the officer has them in custody he has to assume the presence of a weapon.   Not sure any of that justifies shooting, but the cut out video does raise questions.  Unfortunate

EDIT***  Just watched the interview of the guy.  Pretty damning.  Seems like a fear driven shooting using no common sense. 

3 shots is infuriating. Inexcusable. Scared, jittery officer. Officers face a lot of scary adrenaline situations but they have to held to a higher standard. This didnt even seem to be a tense situation. 

Where is the training? 

If an officer is nervous drawing his or her gun, they should not be an officer. 

22 mins - the time they left him cuffed, laying on the hot pavement bleeding out. Inexcusable.

This is such BS.  

why the hell did they shoot him? i would have thought that, nationally, the police would be more restrained given what has gone on the last few years. this looks like a move in the opposite direction.

at least this guy lived.

in one of the other threads someone posted about studies with police accidentally firing in high stress situations but he fired 3 times...

Archived