Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 6

PleaseBlitz

I was (reasons completely unknown to me) thinking about the Sam scene in the finale.  

Question came up, unless I'm completely mistaken, that Sam presents the Maester with a note from Jon Snow saying that he's to be the new Maester.  And when the librarian checks the record, he states that they have a different record for both the Maester and Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

So, my question, and I can't remember the sequencing of events, but does Sam even know that Jon was murdered, brought back to life, ended his watch, created an alliance, took back Winterfell, and is now King of the North?  I mean, the way that he presented it, it seemed like he thought that Jon was still the Lord Commander.

When did Sam leave castle black? Was it this season after Jon was resurrected? Or was it season 5?

Skins should just sign The Mountain. Make him a fullback. Imagine that man leading the way on a pitch. I sure as hell would get out of the way.

Pre or post being brought back from the almost dead?  :P

I believe sam left before jon died. Doubt he would have heard anything about what happened since.

The maester may or may not have received any updates since then, either from eddson, or thorne during his run or jon himself pre death. I dont recall the maester saying who they showed as the lord commander or maester, just that it wasnt what they had recorded.

http://watchersonthewall.com/natalie-dormer-final-days-game-thrones/

Natalie Dormer on her final days with Game of Thrones

The late Queen Margaery, Natalie Dormer, has a new interview over at MakingGameofThrones that is a worthwhile read, and we’ve snagged a few of the highlights for your enjoyment here. The actress discusses her final season on the show, and the finale in which we saw Margaery realize fatally too late that she’d been outplayed by Cersei.

“They gave her the privileged position of being the only person to realize what’s happening, a moment of vindication that just summed up her personality. She was always a couple of steps ahead of everyone else, even to her last moment. I’m very grateful, because Margaery Tyrell was never a victim – even in her last moment they allowed her to not be,” Dormer tells MGoT, and adds, “It’s also very poignant that she’s standing there holding Loras, because her love and her closeness with her sibling has always been in the background. For Finn [Jones, who plays Loras] and I to go out together, literally holding on to each other, was a beautiful moment.”

The interview delves Margaery’s line to Tommen, “I’ve had lots of time to think about how good I was at seeming good?” Was Margaery being genuine in any way when she spoke the line or was it just another ploy? Dormer acknowledges the truth buried in her character’s deception.

“I think she’s articulating out loud something she’s always known about herself,” she says. “If any of us were forced to sit in a dark cell on our own, we would do some soul searching. But I’ve always held firm that Margaery’s heart is true – I don’t think she has a dark spirit. She’s giving a narrative to Tommen that helps convert him at that moment. Maybe she was able to mix a bit of the truth in there – that’s the most effective kind of lying isn’t it?”

Her final moments on set were not in the fiery blast at the sept but while filming a much less violent, though still tense, scene. The actress says, “My actual last day was with Diana Rigg [Olenna], where I hand her the bit of paper with the rose drawing. It was very fitting: the actor hugging the actor goodbye, and the character hugging the character. Dan and David were both there in order to give me the proper send-off. It was an emotional day.”

She didn’t leave empty-handed though. “They gave me Margaery’s wedding crown, with the roses interwoven around the Baratheon antlers which sits on my bookshelf and will be loved from now until the rest of my days.” A very nice parting gift, indeed!

http://watchersonthewall.com/brian-cox-discusses-turning-game-thrones

Brian Cox discusses turning down Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones has landed a wide variety of respected actors during its six-year run,  but there are a few who got away and now we can add another to that list: Brian Cox.

He discusses his GoT encounter with Vodzilla. “Stupidly, I turned it down in the early days because they didn’t pay enough money,” he says, laughing. “Now they have more money. And I was silly. I was silly, it was silly, because I’m a complete addict now. But I don’t know what I could play.”

As he tells Vodzilla, several of his friends and acquaintances have turned up on the show since he said no in the early days, including Ian McShane, Max von Sydow, Clive Russell, Liam Cunningham and Charles Dance.

He raves about “Battle of the ****s” and says it was “truly astonishing.“

But having passed on GoT before, that doesn’t kill his chances in the future (we hope). The actor says he’s “still waiting for the call for Game of Thrones.”

I have to wonder how anyone will believe Bran (assuming he comes south of the wall) - "No really, I just need to touch a tree and..." and "Seriously, Jon's a Targaeryan, I saw it!".

Hoping we get some scenes with Tryion and Jaime, Cercei or Jon Snow... would be fun.

Any guesses on how the Brotherhood will fit into things? They're an interesting and entertaining group (even more so with the Hound added), but pretty small scale considering what's to come.

Just had a realization while typing that... Melisandre was just banished in their direction... and Arya's.

I have to wonder how anyone will believe Bran (assuming he comes south of the wall) - "No really, I just need to touch a tree and..." and "Seriously, Jon's a Targaeryan, I saw it!".

Howland Reed can corroborate what happened at the ToJ. We also don't know what happened to the 2 wet nurses that were there.

Is Howland Reed still alive? Not a book reader...was he ever featured on the show?

Jojen mentions seeing his father cry for the first time when learning of Ned's execution back in Season 3. That's the only mention of him in current time as far as I can remember. I'm assuming he's still alive until we hear otherwise.

Moat Cailin is howland reed's castle.!rhe iron born took it, but I don't recall if it was mentioned in the books what happened to HR.

Howland Reed's castle is Greywater Watch which floats around in the swamps of the neck. Moat Cailin is the ruins of an ancient stronghold that still has strategic value based on its position at the choke point in the neck between north and south. HR is likely just kinda chilling at Greywater.

Howland Reed can corroborate what happened at the ToJ. We also don't know what happened to the 2 wet nurses that were there.

Good point. I suppose that, Meera being Howland's daughter, and Bran being a Stark (and Warg) might be enough to convince any doubters.

Moat Cailin is howland reed's castle.!rhe iron born took it, but I don't recall if it was mentioned in the books what happened to HR.

Interesting, I'd forgotten that Moat Caitlin was the Reed's. I feel like I'm missing something - wasn't Moat Caitlin an easy target because they sent men to fight for Robb? If so, where was Howland Reed? I suppose they'll bring him in next season - they almost have to to legitimize what a Bran has to say. I'm suppose Jon could be convinced just by Bran talking about the WWs.

Why do we cheer those who act to continue the cycle and boo those who may have the way to break the cycle?

Hmm?

I meant to say Dany ... for shiving her father

On one hand, sure.

On the other, she has referenced her father as a bad man, and is rather the practical sort, so if Jaime proves himself useful... Who knows.

Also, Tyrian has affection for Jaime, and that's got to play in somehow.

Ideally maybe Tyrian and Danny force Jaime to kill Cercei and hand the throne to Danny.

Though, I really would like Arya to get that kill.

Hmm?

The cycle of Planetos continues due centralized power (even when the power is "good"). lack of trade, weak (oft non-existent) capitalism and a lack of a universal moral code (both horizontal and vertical).  Dany (centralized power, the beginning of the cycle), Jon Snow (why should his lineage be important if we want to break the cycle?) and even Cersei this season (probably the most obvious bad guy many started rooting for).  Little Finger is generally disliked but he is the best evidence that maybe the cycle can be broken (unless one of the several fan theories that he is not who he says he is is true).  Many people hated the High Sparrow (though with his death, maybe his philosophies will gain strength while avoiding the centralization of power) and Braavos/Iron Bank though we get very little story for them and hate is a stronger word than I should use.

Ah, I think I'm with you now.

The High Sparrow was the one that was truly breaking the cycle, but he also was doing it in an authoritarian manner. He was an awesome character in part because he was a Christ-like figure that somehow inspired some degree of loathing - though I really can't put my finger on the why. Maybe it was his manipulative manner of doing things.

Jon, I think, is in a prime position as one who understands merit is more important than breeding, but he needs the Lords to consolidate power (and might have trouble making changes as he depends on their support). Of course, he's already made some sort of difference through his treatment of the Wildlings.

Dany is centralizing authority I suppose, but again, she seems to care more for all people rather than just those with titles. She also has two former slaves and a dwarf (albeit one with a powerful name) as her advisors. That's not to say she breaks the wheel, but then again...

LittleFinger is actually almost the opposite to me. He doesn't give a crap about anyone except himself. He may not want the Lords to have much power (if he were to sit on the throne), but it sure isn't because he wants to break the cycle for the sake of the little guy.

Iron Bank - well, powerful banks are always a problem (though I don't see anyone rooting for them).

Of course, the bottom line is probably that the interesting characters get more traction. Nobody wants Cercei to win, but you sort of have to appreciate her ruthlessness and drive.

So, how is Arya any different from The Mountain at this point? She's a monster too, right?

I do like the fact that the show has spent two weeks just clearing the decks of extraneous characters and consolidating those that remain. Cutting between four or five locations will make the end run better, I think.

At the same time, the show has long given up on asking any questions about what any of this madness needs. Assuming everything goes perfect for Dany, she'll be conquering a ruined kingdom. She'll have no one to align with because all the great houses are gone. The small folk have been ravaged by years of war and are about to face the worst winter ever. And some ice zombies are coming to kill everyone, but she can probably handle that with dragons, because dragons.

This show was never great at balancing plot with subtext, but I do think it's largely stopped caring right now.

Exit question: Dany's brother was a loser, and all the other Targaryans were killed so it doesn't seem like they have special superpowers at birth. What ultimately does the fact that Jon is a Targaryan mean? He's still a ****, except one from an affair of nobles. Is anyone going to say, "Oh, well, he should be king then......"

It strikes me as something that's sort of cool and will lead a lot of characters to saying, "Wow...that's cool" and then Cersei will still try to kill him while Ice Zombies eat him.

it means that Jon <might> be able to ride dragons.... right?

I missed what the deal was there, something to do with speedy travel, but I can only recall Varys leaving Tyrion to travel to Westeros (Dorne apparently) for allies.

Yeah, Mereen and Dorne aren't close at all. His ability to go there, secure the alliance, and then get back to Mereen to leave with Dany's forces makes Littlefinger teleporting around Westeros look like an amateur.

A lot of time passed between some of the scenes in the last episode.

For instance Jamie traveled a good bit and the lords of the North came to Winterfell.

There were also Dornish and Highgarden ships represented in the fleet at the end.

Yeah, Mereen and Dorne aren't close at all. His ability to go there, secure the alliance, and then get back to Mereen to leave with Dany's forces makes Littlefinger teleporting around Westeros look like an amateur.

Ah, I didn't realize he'd made it back to Mereen

Archived