Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 6

PleaseBlitz

Ah, I think I'm with you now.

The High Sparrow was the one that was truly breaking the cycle, but he also was doing it in an authoritarian manner. He was an awesome character in part because he was a Christ-like figure that somehow inspired some degree of loathing - though I really can't put my finger on the why. Maybe it was his manipulative manner of doing things.

Jon, I think, is in a prime position as one who understands merit is more important than breeding, but he needs the Lords to consolidate power (and might have trouble making changes as he depends on their support). Of course, he's already made some sort of difference through his treatment of the Wildlings.

Dany is centralizing authority I suppose, but again, she seems to care more for all people rather than just those with titles. She also has two former slaves and a dwarf (albeit one with a powerful name) as her advisors. That's not to say she breaks the wheel, but then again...

LittleFinger is actually almost the opposite to me. He doesn't give a crap about anyone except himself. He may not want the Lords to have much power (if he were to sit on the throne), but it sure isn't because he wants to break the cycle for the sake of the little guy.

Iron Bank - well, powerful banks are always a problem (though I don't see anyone rooting for them).

Of course, the bottom line is probably that the interesting characters get more traction. Nobody wants Cercei to win, but you sort of have to appreciate her ruthlessness and drive.

Actually, I think the Iron Bank is one of the most important tools to break the cycle.  While it does finance many wars, it also finances much trade and business which are a requirement if the cycle is to be broken.  They gave us a short reminder to hate the insurance industry but underwriting trade missions is also a requirement for establishing trade which makes war untenable.  Dany may have good intentions but she is mortal as are her advisors.  Good dictators are as bad as bad dictators, maybe even worse in the long run.  Besides, I equate Dany with Trump. 

Another thing to think about, much of her power cannot be replicated.  One thing that may have arguably ended feudalism in our world was the development of cannon and guns which forced the "noble" families to change tactics.  Given that if you can piss and cast church bells, you only need a chemical engineer and some good trade relationships or build your own or a good spy network, education is no longer monopolized by the Maesters but first is distributed among the great houses and then works its way down.

Considering there are Tyrrell and Martell ships in her fleet, it would make much more sense if they picked him up in Dorne on the way to King's Landing.

So you're saying it's pretty easily explained? That the producers and writers have some sense of travel time? Makes sense I suppose.

So you're saying it's pretty easily explained? That the producers and writers have some sense of travel time? Makes sense I suppose.

And, the Faceless guys have all their candidates train in the Jason/Halloween school of self-healing!  Explains why Araya so easily deals with a fatal wound.  Meeting up with Gendry explains how she got over to the twins so fast.

So I went back and watched Season 1.  I'm going to put this here in the Season 6 thread, but can move it somewhere else if it doesn't fit. 

Holy Cow.  The show is SO SO SO different.  And the characters are very different, in a lot of cases.  Not only do the young actors look SO much different (Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams went from ~14 to 20).  Bran went from 11 to 17.  

But the characters themselves have changed so much over the years.  I think overall, the characters were just less complicated.  Cercei was evil.  Jamie was evil, no redeaming qualities.  Sansa was a ****, and stupid.  Arya was a hothead.  Etc.

Some other thoughts:

- I really wish that Ned Stark's really large sword (I'm sure it has a name, no idea what it was), was not melted down.  Question: I remember that it made 2 swords, one is Oath Keeper, which Brienne has, what happened to the second? 

- God Bless if Sansa isn't stupid.  And tons of foreshadowing when she says that the only thing she's ever wanted is to be Joffrey's queen.  From the files of "be careful what you wish for"

- I had forgotten how important The Hound was in season 1.  The jousting scene where he takes on Sir Gregor to protect (I think?) Loras, after Gregor chops off his horse's head is pretty intense.  I think I see more now why they made a big deal of him coming back.  He was actually a heck of a good character.  He protected some innocent people, but also killed the butcher's boy.  

- I also think that time has made folks forget how ridiculously cruel Joffrey was, to everybody. (And Stupid)  In balance, I think that between him and Ramsay, you would be hard pressed to decide which was worse.  I might go with Joffrey.  While Ramsay was truly evil, and enjoyed torturing people, and feeding them to his dogs, his evilness almost always had a purpose.  He tortured Theon to gain his allegiance.  He flayed his enemies, killed his father to gain power.  Joffrey on the other hand, just liked to hurt people, even people who had done nothing to him. just because he's a bad dude in power, he liked to show off that power.  

- I seriously wanted to slap Sansa when she lied to Robert about what happened between Joffrey and the butchers boy.  Her lie led to Lady's death.  She blamed her father.  It was her damn fault.  God she was stupid.

- I had forgotten a lot of the characters at castle black.  Including how important Benjen was. And Lord Commander Mormont.  I had also forgotten that Sir Thorne was kindof a prick to Jon from the very, very beginning.  

- Very "foreshadowing" line, as Ned rides south to King's Landing, and Jon Snow rides north to the wall, Jon asks about his mother, and Ned says, "We'll talk about your mother the next time we speak."  It was the last thing they ever said to each other.  

- I had totally forgotten that Bron was actually originally a Tyrian guy, and his champion in the trial by combat.  Because he's now tied very closely to Jamie.  Wonder if that Tyrian/Bron relationship comes back at some point...

- I had forgotten that Little Finger was essentially the turning point that led to Ned's death.  He promised Ned that he would have the Kings Guard loyal to him, and he reneged, and put a knife to Ned's throat.  I can't remember if Sansa was there for that.  But I'm certain that it still colors her judgement of him.  

- 2 Lannister's were kidnapped by the Starks.  First Tyrian, and then Jamie.  The Lannister's really do have a pension for getting kidnapped.  

- I thought Rob Stark was boring the first time I watched the show.  I still thought he was boring.  Interesting watching the original round of "king in the north" chants, since we just saw it again.

- I think Danny's first kill, on her own orders, was to have the witch tied to the funeral pyre.  And then she walks into the fire, and gives birth to dragons.   For the record, Emilia Clarke has very nice breasts, and we see a lot of them in season 1.  Lots more boobs in the entire season than in later seasons, in fact.  

From the "REALLY STUPID THINGS THAT CHARACTERS HAVE DONE" files:

- The single stupidest act in the entire show, all seasons, as far as I can tell, is Ned telling Cercei that he knows Jamie is her children's father. I mean, come on, you big dummy.  John Aryn was murdered.  By Jamie and Cercei, presumably, for knowing this fact. And then you just go and put it out there? Hmmmm? Big dummy almost deserved to have his head lopped off.  

- Joffrey's decision to execute Ned Stark, might rank in the top 5.  But it essentially started a war.  

- Catelyn Stark was pretty damn freaking stupid to take Tyrian prisoner. Maybe top 10 stupid acts list.  Not top 5.  Talk about poking the bear.  

- Sam has been doing useless, stupid things since season 1. As far as I'm concerned, his entire character is on the top 10 stupidest things list.  

two swords were oath keeper and Widows Wail.

Oath Keeper was given to Jaime as head of the Kingsguard.

Widows wail was given to Joffrey.  Then passed to Tommen when he died.  Now it presumably belongs to Cersi?

Interesting side note 

The two names also represent Ned (who kept oaths) and Catlyn (who was a widow)

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-season-7-premiere-date-will-later-usual/

Game of Thrones season 7 premiere date will be later than usual

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss appeared on the UFC Unfiltered podcast with Matt Serra and Jim Norton this week, discussing their work on Game of Thrones and offering a bit of news about season 7.

When asked about next season of GoT returning in April as usual, the showrunners said, “No,” and Weiss explained why that was the case.

We don’t have an air date yet but this year it’ll probably be a little bit later. We’re starting a bit later because you know, the end of this season, winter is here and that means that sunny weather doesn’t really serve our purposes anymore. So we kind of pushed everything down the line, so we could get some grim, gray weather even in the sunnier places that we shoot.

Benioff and Weiss confirmed again that there are two seasons remaining and that they still do not have a definite episode count set in place.

http://watchersonthewall.com/maisie-williams-gemma-whelan-john-bradley-game-thrones-season-6-beyond/

Maisie Williams, Gemma Whelan, and John Bradley on Game of Thrones Season 6 and beyond

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-predictions-season-come/

Game of Thrones Predictions: The Season to Come

Now that the dust has settled, we’ve had time to properly pick over Game of Thrones season six and its heart-attack-inducing finale. We’ve done our rewatches, wallowed in discussions, and come out on the other side with a stack of ideas about the future of the show, and where we’re headed in season seven (whenever it gets here).

Let’s dive into it: next season, and my predictions for the episodes to come.

I agree with wanting to punch dumbass Sansa in season 1. She singlehandedly ruined her House. Yeah, you can say Ned shouldn't have given any mercy to someone like Cersi. But none of it would've mattered if Sansa didn't have a **** fit and tell Cersi all about Ned forcing her to go back to Winterfell. 

I agree with wanting to punch dumbass Sansa in season 1. She singlehandedly ruined her House. Yeah, you can say Ned shouldn't have given any mercy to someone like Cersi. But none of it would've mattered if Sansa didn't have a **** fit and tell Cersi all about Ned forcing her to go back to Winterfell. 

I actually don't remember that scene.  Do you remember the episode?

I want to hear the Metallica version.

I thought about it and came up with syncing.   You know, like  "play Pink Floyd's Dark side of the Moon and watch the Wizard of Oz with the sound turned off"  sort of thing.  

Only for this set Season 6 episode 9  at 38 minutes 27 seconds, sound muted, paused.  Trust me on this. Find a source of Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls, starting from the beginning of the song.   As closely as possible start 'em simultaneously and you will not be disappointed. 

Once you do this you'll see there are other possibilities but I did my best to deliver Metallica +  Thrones.

two swords were oath keeper and Widows Wail.

Oath Keeper was given to Jaime as head of the Kingsguard.

Widows wail was given to Joffrey. Then passed to Tommen when he died. Now it presumably belongs to Cersi?

Interesting side note

The two names also represent Ned (who kept oaths) and Catlyn (who was a widow)

I thought the other sword was called wolfsbane?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones-leads-emmys-field-23-nominations-160106771.html?ref=gs

'Game of Thrones' leads Emmys field with 23 nominations

Fantasy drama "Game of Thrones" led the field for television's coveted Primetime Emmy awards Thursday for a third straight year, with nominations in 23 categories.

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-picks-emmy-nominations/

Game of Thrones is nominated for:

Outstanding Drama Series

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series [ 2 nominations]

Jack Bender, “The Door”
Miguel Sapochnik, “Battle of the ****s”
Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series [2 nominations]

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister
Kit Harington as Jon Snow
Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series [3 nominations]

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister
Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen
Maisie Williams as Arya Stark
Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series – Max von Sydow as the Three-Eyed Raven

Outstanding Sound Editing – “The Door”

Outstanding Sound Mixing -“Battle of the ****s”

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series – “Battle of the ****s,” written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss

Outstanding Special Visual Effects – “Battle of the ****s”

Outstanding Production Design

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series

Outstanding Cinematography for a Single Camera Series –  “Home”

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie

Outstanding Hairstyling for a Single Camera Series – “The Door”

Outstanding Makeup (Non-Prosthetic) for a Single Camera Series–  “Battle of the ****s”

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup for a Series, Limited Series, Movie or Special – “The Door”

Outstanding Costumes for a Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series or Movie – “The Winds of Winter”

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series – [2 nominations]

“Oathbreaker,” Katie Weiland, Editor

“Battle of the ****s, Tim Porter, ACE, Editor

Outstanding Interactive Experience – Game of Thrones Main Titles 360 Experience

I forgot.  Yes, the actor playing Ramsey was awesome, and in seasons past, I thought Peter Dinklage and the actor who played Joffrey were quite good.  Outside of Ramsey this season though, I just didn't find any of the acting really gripping.  Though for one episode, the guy from Deadwood was captivating.

Dude playing Ramsey Bolton did a great job. Theon too. I thought so anyway.

I think in the entire series, the best actor/casting was Joffrey. They nailed that character.

Actually I think three of the 4 best actors are awful characters. Ramsay, Joffrey, Cercei. Tyrian is the other.

Of the main characters, the worst actor award goes to Bailish. A lot of people get on Kit Harrington, but I've always though he was fine. Emilia Clarke is best when she has a string counterpart in a small group. She's not so good otherwise, but they also have her crap to do for 3 seasons....

I forgot. Yes, the actor playing Ramsey was awesome, and in seasons past, I thought Peter Dinklage and the actor who played Joffrey were quite good. Outside of Ramsey this season though, I just didn't find any of the acting really gripping. Though for one episode, the guy from Deadwood was captivating.

Cercei in the finale was absolutely perfect.

I'm trying to think, I believe she only had 2 speaking scenes, when she say Tommens body, and talked to that bad nun, whoever she was. Otherwise is was all looks and glances.

How good is Deadwood? Seems like something I would like but I've never really checked it out too much

I think it's extraordinary, one of my top 3 shows ever. Takes a few episodes to adjust to the language (both profanity and period phraseology) but it's terrific.

Kind of does a similar thing to the late 19th frontier as The Wire did to post-industrial Baltimore, focusing each season on a prominent institution and/or technology around which to focus the ensemble cast.

Archived