Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What the ref?

Burgold

Earlier in the game, the Redskins were flagged for a fifteen yard penalty for hitting a defenseless receiver (ironically, it was the one on Trenton Robinson where not only was the receiver not struck into the head, but the safety never even initiated contact, but was run into.) Are you saying that Garcon was able to defend himself or that wasn't a blow to the head?

Really, there is nothing wrong with pointing out inconsistencies or bad reffing. 

I didn't respond to someone saying the two calls were inconsistent. I responded to someone saying it was a bad call not to flag the Garcon play. It wasn't. The Robinson call was bad, a flag on the Garon play would have been worse.

I didn't respond to someone saying the two calls were inconsistent. I responded to someone saying it was a bad call not to flag the Garcon play. It wasn't. The Robinson call was bad, a flag on the Garon play would have been worse.

Worse? No way. Even if you think it was the wrong call. The hit on Garcon was far nastier than the one Robinson "committed."  

I actually didn't think flag when I saw that play, but thought "Wow! he held onto it! Great catch!" It was a very violent hit to the head or neck area while the receiver was in the act of catching the ball. Far worse than the Robinson flag which was a hit to the chest caused by the runner running into the defender.

I don't think that Garcon should have been a flag myself, but I'm a bit old school that way. I don't think bang bang plays should be called. We have been the victims of flags of that kind of wrong flag many times. Today being just one example. Nevertheless, if your going to call a tight game, call it that way for both teams.

My Browns fan buddy just texted me "penalties are killing us."

Its not just us. We notice more because its our team, but every game is just filled with penalty after penalty.

I tweeted about this during the games yesterday. Officials need to let players decide the outcomes of games - too often they are making iffy to down right bogus calls which are directly impacting results. Thats flat bad. 

Its not a conspiracy against some teams - its just very bad officiating on a consistent basis league wide.

I heard during the charges game that through the first 3 weeks there has been the most accepted penalties in league history. It's just bull****. It's everywhere league wide. The issue is when your team is mediocre at best most years penalties can and will lose games for you because your team needs everything to go right to squeek out wins.

Below are the numbers not just for this year but the previous 3 years. It shows an alarming trend towards more penalties - an increase of almost 2 penalties per team per game.

Yr    Total  Total/team/gm Accepted  Acc/team/gm Declined Offsetting

2012 3809       7.4                3319         6.5                406         84

2013 3636       7.1                3245         6.3                362         29

2014 4248       8.3                3526         6.9                554        168

2015* 913       9.5                 773          8.1                116         24

2015**4869    9.5                4123          8.1                619       128

*Thru 3 games          

**Extrapolated for the entire season        

One of the results of this is that the last 3 sets of Super Bowl teams were among the very worst in penalties - Team (ranking 32 is worst):

2014 - Seattle (32) - NE (27) 

2013 - Seattle (32) - Denver (28)

2012 - Baltimore (31) - SF (26) 

At least some of our penalty problem are due to more penalties called. I believe it's referee incompetence. I am not saying conspiracy by any means. They suck equally across the league. It's just plain bad officiating.

I tweeted about this during the games yesterday. Officials need to let players decide the outcomes of games - too often they are making iffy to down right bogus calls which are directly impacting results. Thats flat bad. 

Its not a conspiracy against some teams - its just very bad officiating on a consistent basis league wide.

The officiating is bad and the rules are bad. I've been saying for a while that the whole  defenseless receiver thing shouldn't be a penalty unless it's completely blatant. How many supposedly huge brutal helmet hits have we seen that, in slo-mo, turn out to have been shoulder hits, or plays where the WR ducked into it? And we're expecting these refs to see it in real time? That's why there are so many flags for it, where it seems about half of them are wrong. Take it out of the refs hands and let the league handle it later. Fines, even suspensions, just as long as it's done when we have the technology to determine what really happened. 

I've been saying for a while that the whole  defenseless receiver thing shouldn't be a penalty unless it's completely blatant. How many supposedly huge brutal helmet hits have we seen that, in slo-mo, turn out to have been shoulder hits, or plays where the WR ducked into it? And we're expecting these refs to see it in real time?  

I agree with you but I can also see that with the whole concussion issues and law suits the NFLs hands are tied on this. They have to be seen to be taking all possible action to protect players. 

I think they have gone about it the wrong way though. They should look at what rugby has done about the same issues. Although its a different game in many ways the rules Rugby brought in have made a big difference in this area without really impacting the game.

In rugby you are not allowed to target above the shoulders (same as the NFL) but critically you have to use your arns in a tackle. If you just hit with your shoulders its a penalty wherever you strike an apponent. If the NFL brought in that rule and made the teaching and use of correct tackling technique a point of emphasis not only would it make the game safer (for defenders as well as offensive players) and easier to officiate with consistency it would improve the quality of play as well. Bad tackling is a huge issue in the NFL and College football.

I agree with you but I can also see that with the whole concussion issues and law suits the NFLs hands are tied on this. They have to be seen to be taking all possible action to protect players. 

I'm not saying not to take action. I'm saying hit the (rap) offenders in the wallet and make them miss games rather than make refs try to figure to out in real time.

I'm not saying not to take action. I'm saying hit the (rap) offenders in the wallet and make them miss games rather than make refs try to figure to out in real time.

Yeah but I think the NFL need to show they are taking preventative action in more ways than just fining players after the event.

They should have to review every personal foul for unnecessary roughness. They miss it too much and has too big of an impact on the game. The game moves too fast for any human to accurately make those calls on the fly.

I still can't believe you can't challenge a flag.  There are so many times where the flag is just ridiculous and clearly inaccurate.

Terrible officiating, I felt like smashing my TV, lol. But seriously, I think the game is way way over officiated. Leaguewide I wonder what the stats show compared to previous years, cuz it seems over the top this year.

Yes, the increase in penalties is substantial up about 24% since 2013. Much like the US tax code, the NFL rule book needs to be overhauled. 

"In 48 games over the first three weeks, according to STATS research, 878 penalties have been called. That's an average of 18.3 per game, up from 17.1 per game during the first three weeks of 2014. Over the same span in 2013, the number was 14.8 per game. More flags typically don't mean more fun for fans, coaches or players around the league."

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/penalties-increase-flags-pre-snap-fouls-100215

It's a league wide issue and it's making watching the games much less enjoyable.  It's a problem the league needs to address -- some of the calls in general -- the illegal touching penalty,....**** me.  Please -- if a receiver's foot barely touches the line (and they're clearly unaware) then he makes the catch in bounds that should not be illegal touching.  If the receiver/player runs out of bounds on purpose or they realize they went out of bounds and come back in,...ok then.  The refs should be able to discern that detail.  Tick tack bull**** that does the game no good. 

Aside from the flag happy NFL -- The Skins have got to get their **** together with penalties in general.  It's infuriating.

I still can't believe you can't challenge a flag.  There are so many times where the flag is just ridiculous and clearly inaccurate.

I know, it sucks, but the only thing they could do would be to allow only certain fouls to be challenge-worthy. They can't add any more challenges to teams because it will slow the game down, and they want it to be more faster, so they can squeeze in more ****ing commercials.

It would also be a momentum killer on last minute drives for offenses, giving defenses a chance to catch their breaths, so I could see their angle on this. Generally, I see a ref who makes a bad call, realizes it, then throws another flag later to make up for it, in a way.

I'd rather listen to the game callers blabber than see ****ing Flo or a lizard every 10 minutes on tv. No wonder my insurance is so high, gotta pay for these damn commercials, and I...um...I'm ranting, I need to stop. :P

The CFL let's coaches challenge pass interference calls. Hasn't slowed their game down. Like the NHL, they go to Toronto for all reviews. They don't let the on the field referees bias make the call. Their refs just sits there with his headphones on waiting for the decision. I hate that the on the field refs go to review with bias. Let someone in NY make the decision.

At the beginning of the game, when Fox was introducting the officiating staff, I literally said "Crap, we have Jerome Boger."  That is my reaction everytime.

Me too. He seems like a sincere, yet incompetent man. Maybe if we combined him with Jeff Tripplett, we could at least approach a decent referee. Maybe...

Yes, worse. Robinson was at least hitting high. The contact on Garcon was entirely because he dove into it.

You are wrong according to the NFL rule book. 

Garcon was struck in the head with a forearm shiver. Here is a relevant citation of the rules:

"Section 2 Personal Fouls STRIKING, KICKING, OR KNEEING OPPONENT

Article 1 All players are prohibited from:

...striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, neck, or face with the heel, back, or side of the hand, wrist, arm, elbow, or clasped hands..."

Garcon was diving to make the catch. He was in a defenseless posture and should be protected by the rules. Another relevant citation:

"Article 9

It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture.

Players in a defenseless posture are:

...(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass; or who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a runner. If the receiver/runner is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player...

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: 

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him..."

Because Garcon was diving attempting to make the catch, was unable to avoid the impending contact, and had not established himself as a runner he was protected under the rules. Your assertion that it was not a foul because Garcon was diving is incorrect. It is because he was diving in the act of catching the ball that a foul should have been called.  

My wife has two running comments while I'm watching a game.

"My God, another penalty"? 

"My God, another commercial"?

I just set my wife up with some episodes of "Real Housewives" in another room. She knows not to bother me with that crap when she watches absolute garbage reality tv.

Archived