Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rich Tandler: Need to Know: Five offensive players with work to do during Redskins OTAs

Jumbo

Let's get some fresh topics going---OTA's are here, too.  B)

This is a couple days old: How do you guys see any or all of these targeted players, keeping the rooks in mind? Roberts is on my mind. I think he's a very good receiver, and it's just the make-up of this team holding his production back more than anything he's doing. He's not "elite" and struggles with things from time to time, but I think in a solid program he's still a strong #2. I put him behind Garcon, overall, and Jackson is like a "specialty" player, but one you still want to get the ball to as often as possible. Given all the positions (and players) we'd like to throw to in a quality offense, I think we have a long way to go before our passing game can substantially feed even three targets to solid numbers, and who knows if more than one of those targets will be a receiver, let alone two. So how well will any "high quality" (even if not a "superstar") receiver be able to do in a third position? 

http://realredskins.com/2015/05/22/need-to-know-five-offensive-players-with-work-to-do-during-redskins-otas/

OTAs get underway on Tuesday at Redskins Park. Here are five offensive players who will have a lot at stake during this phase of the offseason.

G Chris Chester—He had Spencer Long breathing down his neck all last year and now Arie Kouandjio could provide a little extra heat on him. At 32 with a salary cap number north of $4 million and the team switching to running scheme geared towards power blocking, Chester will have to adapt quickly.

—WR Andre Roberts—Last year Roberts was a free agent disappointment. It wasn’t all his fault since they brought in DeSean Jackson after signing him, decreasing his role. Still, he caught just 36 passes and dropped seven. The Redskins are very high on fourth-round pick Jamison Crowder, who does what Roberts does—plays slot receiver and returns punts and kickoffs.

—G Josh LeRibeus—When you were drafted by the guy who was around two regime changes ago (Mike Shanahan), have spent three years as a backup and your team spends third- and fourth-round picks on players at your position in consecutive drafts you should start feeling uncomfortable. If LeRibeus is going to hang on it starts with being in top shape for OTAs and making a solid impression.

—WR Ryan Grant—He’s not in any danger of being cut but his situation is similar to that of LeRibeus in that he was picked by the old guy (Bruce Allen) and new guy Scot McCloughan grabbed two wide receivers, Crowder and Evan Spencer, in this year’s draft. Grant was taken as something of a project who would improve over the years but he needs to take some big strides or the two rookies could pass him on the depth chart.

—TE Jordan Reed—Like Grant he’s not going anywhere and Reed is probably not in any danger of losing his starting job. But he desperately needs to stay on the field or the organization will start planning for a long-term future without him. Reed needs to avoid the nagging injuries that have kept him sidelined during offseasons and training camps in the past so that Gruden and McCloughan have some confidence in him.

Definitely agree on Roberts. I thought he was a good signing last offseason. He needs to play better or he may not see much time this season.

As for Reed, not sure he needs to show anything outside of just being healthy. We all know he can play and is a great offensive weapon when he's on the field. Maybe a new S&C coach can help that.

Yea- what the hell with Reed missing OTAs. Please don't use the 'voluntary' quotes. He's a guy that should be crack of dawning at training center.

Dude... Have you even finished a full 60 minute football game? Sorry, just not a fan. Fred Davis had talent to.

Lets move on please.

What's the cap situation on Roberts?  Is he in any danger of being cut? 

I think the QB situation was at least half Roberts' problem. Doesn't necessarily take great QB acumen to chuck it deep to the guy running past the defense on a post.  That's why I think he didn't struggle as much as Garcon and Roberts who work more underneath.  The drops and questionable decisions in the PR game are on him though.

Yea- what the hell with Reed missing OTAs. Please don't use the 'voluntary' quotes. He's a guy that should be crack of dawning at training center.

Dude... Have you even finished a full 60 minute football game? Sorry, just not a fan. Fred Davis had talent to.

Lets move on please.

He is there. He had some soreness in his knee. Getting it checked out. -- > http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000494130/article/jordan-reed-to-be-checked-out-for-knee-soreness

But I do agree if he can't stay on the field this year he has to go. Look for DY to line up at TE a little if Reed goes down, possibly even Matt Jones as a way to get him and AM on the field at the same time. He has great size and speed and can catch the ball. 

He is there. He had some soreness in his knee. Getting it checked out. -- > http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000494130/article/jordan-reed-to-be-checked-out-for-knee-soreness

But I do agree if he can't stay on the field this year he has to go. Look for DY to line up at TE a little if Reed goes down, possibly even Matt Jones as a way to get him and AM on the field at the same time. He has great size and speed and can catch the ball.

1st day of OTAs and injured... Is that some kinda record?

Look for DY to line up at TE a little if Reed goes down, possibly even Matt Jones as a way to get him and AM on the field at the same time. He has great size and speed and can catch the ball.

Yeah, I had that fantasy, myself, last year, when I read that our new HC really likes TEs. 

Granted, I'm really far from a football expert. My fantasy was just based on my mental image of DY as "A big guy who can block and catch".  I have absolutely no clue how easy it would be to transition. 

But I had the thought that, if he could do that, then it sure would give the offense options.  We could send the guy in, and the opposing D doesn't know if he's coming in as a TE, or as a ball carrier, or as the lead blocker for AlMo.  Heck, he could line up in one of those positions, and then motion to the other.  (Possibly generating a pre-snap read.) 

What's the cap situation on Roberts?  Is he in any danger of being cut? 

I think I remember hearing back before the draft that cutting Roberts didn't really save anything in terms of cap space so not to expect any movement there this year.

Every time I get optimistic about this team, the name "Chris Chester" puts it all back in perspective

You must have been smiling this a.m. The first things I came across on my morning visit was a great PM from TK  and this good news. Love it when things start that way.  :D

So glad that Chester was cut. He has not been an NFL-level G for the last 2 years and he has been starting for the Redskins! I would not have taken the Redskins seriously if Chester and Polumbus were still on the team at all. Both are now gone. Tremendous addition by subtraction.

I was actually very optimistic when the Skins got Andre Roberts. What a tremendous letdown he turned out to be. WRs who can't catch when needed the most hurt team morale by killing momentum or the chance of gaining momentum. He seemed to put a dagger in the Redskins heart all year.

Josh LeRibeus couldn't beat out Chris Chester, so I don't think he's NFL material. Maybe going to a power-running offense will help him. Otherwise, he needs to prepare himself for civilian life this year.

I like Ryan Grant. Hopefully he can get on the field this year and show Andre Roberts how to catch the football if Andre makes the team.

Jordan Reed is a very talented football player, but he has proven to be very brittle and is nicked up again. Are you kidding me? What did he do? Hurt himself getting out of bed? They have to keep him one more year to see if he can get and stay healthy. If the Redskins released or traded him, you know he would become all-world for his new team, not to mention never have another injury problem for the rest of his career.

You must have been smiling this a.m. The first things I came across on my morning visit was a great PM from TK  and this good news. Love it when things start that way.  :D

Chester and Porter were the two I was baffled to still see on this roster. Glad to see the team moving on from them.

Every time I get optimistic about this team, the name "Chris Chester" puts it all back in perspective

At least you have perspective.

All i have is a bucket. It's empty, rusted, holes in the bottom, and used to hold my hopes.

If it's 'status quo' this year, it'll be a toss-up for blame between the QB and the line. 

Well, time to fill my bucket.

Reed being injured......again......and missing the first week of OTAs would not bring up red flags, except for the fact he has spent more time in training room than actually on the field. I like Paul but he lacks size to block but is definitely talented. I would be disappointed if they let him go but he has to be on the field.

Good to see both Chester and Porter gone. Time to let the young guys step up.

Roberts may have just been a victim of the QB debacle last year, he seemed to have developed a little (very little) chemistry with Cousins but not with CM or RG. I believe Crowder will definitely challenge him so it will be interesting.

My hope for Grant if he has a good summer, is that he can get on the field some this year and make a push for the #2 spot next year.  I could see us moving on from Jackson (hopefully - run blocking issue) or Garcon (hopefully not - beast) next year as many others have said.

I think could we see this in 2016:

Garcon (with new deal)

Grant (if he plays to that level)

Crowder (slot and returner on teams) 

Spencer - depth / ST standout (could he push for the #2 spot?)

I think we still need a big tall tough legit #1 WR, maybe next years draft, but anything short of that Garcon is my best option.

TE situation - I want to see more of the youngsters Dixon and Hamm this summer.  Gruden mentioned them, and we didn't add any TE in the draft or FA, but we picked up a UFA in Mahina.  

I also wonder if there is something with Gresham, could we be waiting for him to pass a physical so he can be signed?  I think the Bengals maybe doing just that, I wonder what Jay's relationship with his is like.

Roberts cap hit is roughly 4 to 5 million according to Chris Russell so the guy is staying. LOL. As much as I am not a Roberts fan after the multiple drops, I would not mind seeing someone else take his spot especially a young draft pick. 

Players that need to prove themselves, IMO:

- Josh Ribs

- Chris Thompson

- Jordan Reed

- Logan Paulsen

- Andre Roberts

- Shawn Lauvao

- Spencer Long

- Morgan Moses

- RGIII

LeRib is in year 4.  Walk the walk or walk.

Thompson is an RB in year 3.  Gotta get it done this year, especially with the drafting of Matt Jones.  He might not even get many/any chances, but if he does, he needs to be great.

Jordan Reed needs to stay healthy.  Simple as that.  10 games a year isn't going to cut it.

Logan Paulsen needs to justify his 2M salary.

Andre Roberts.  While our offense probably can't maximize his potential, he was just underwhelming overall.  At his price he needs to maximize his efficiency.

Lauvao was poor on the left side.  He needs to improve or else Kouandjio or someone will come for his spot, as they should.

Long has some leeway here, he's only in year 2.  Nonetheless, we need him to step up, and into a starting RG role.

Moses similarly has some leeway, but he needs to find a role where he can be useful.  Trent is LT.  Scherff is RT.  Can Moses kick inside?  Does he become a high level backup LT?  He needs to find some role here.  He's lucky though, he's on a rookie deal through 2017 so he's got a got of opportunities.

RGIII is in year 4.  Gotta get it done.  I understand injuries have been problematic, but like with Reed, he need to be present, and performing well.  He's got two years, yes, but some measure of improvement would be nice.

We need 6"5 250 and up te's that can block as well as being a reciever.  Thought Greshom from Cincy might have been a  guy we could have looked at but it turned out that he had a messed  up vertabre in his neck. This draft wasn't deep in te's, really is was bone dry.  

Archived