Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

No disrespect to the United, but MLS is a second rate league, sorry.  NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA are the top leagues in the world in their respective sports so really they're the only ones that count.  For the same reason I don't think you can count Georgetown's or GMU's appearance in the Final Four a few years back.

As I was driving at 1 AM home from the game I said I can't do this anymore. I've been at nearly ever DC elimination game the last few years in this city, from the Caps ones to the Nats ones (twice) to DC United to the Redskins. The Caps were the only team to win one of them. That was Game 7 against the Islanders. Otherwise, the Caps lost to the Penguins, Redskins to the Packers, DC United to Montreal, Nats to the Dodgers and Cubs. 

The reason why we lose these games? It's because there's no mentality to knock an opponent out. There's no dagger mentality. First of all, the manager for these respective DC teams is always outcoached in the game. Trotz by Sullivan, Dusty by Maddon, Gruden by McCarthy. But another note. Every single one of these games the DC team has never really exerted themselves. In a winner take all game you can't leave any room for error. You have to have that instinct to knock an opponent down while he is down and keep him down. Instead we see monumental collapses. 5-0 against St. Louis. 4-1 against the Cubs. These should be safe leads, and would be for any other franchise. 

I've seen a lot of this **** over the last 3 years I've been rampantly attending games, and I don't think I can take no more. The next time a DC team is in a do-or-die game, I think I'll watch from the bar. Yeah, I'll have tickets of course, but I'll sell them. I just can't take being in person to see another arena deflated like that. 

the issue isnt just that DC sucks in the postseason. this issue is that DC has to be top 3 in the US for regular season success in the last 5+ years. I think all 4 teams have at least made the playoffs in but 2 or 3 times in that timespan (2 or 3 out of 20 seasons). Thats crazy.

It would be better & easier if they just sucked because then it would at least be easy to withdraw and not pay attention, or get sucked in. every year we say the same thing after they get eliminated.. "im done with this team, why do i do this to myself, etc etc). then they go and have great regular seasons to drag our emotions back in. **** this town's sports. 

13 hours ago, shakinaiken said:

"Curse" implies some wrongdoing: Did DC sports incite anything to elicit this drought? is it Jim Zorn's slip n' slide exercise during training camp? The swinging gate debacle? Can I blame it on Gilbert Arenas? On RG3? On clown questions? 

What triggered the curse 

I'll always remember the ride off the Metro after the Capitals lost Game 5 to the Flyers and Neuvirth was dominant. There was a whole discussion on the train car that broke out about how Jack Kent Cooke cursed the city after Dan Snyder purchased the team. 

Conveniently, this explanation leaves out the years of 1991-1998. 

Just now, mammajamma said:

the issue isnt just that DC sucks in the postseason. this issue is that DC has to be top 3 in the US for regular season success in the last 5+ years. I think all 4 teams have won their respective division in but 2 or 3 times in that timespan (2 or 3 out of 20 seasons). Thats crazy.

It would be better & easier if they just sucked because then it would at least be easy to withdraw and not pay attention, or get sucked in. every year we say the same thing after they get eliminated.. "im done with this team, why do i do this to myself, etc etc). then they go and have great regular seasons to drag our emotions back in. **** this town's sports. 

You'll be fine. I stopped getting mad after the 5th inning. They did it to themselves. Then when Harper struck out at the end I just gathered my things and went out the door. I'll be back. 

4 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

You'll be fine. I stopped getting mad after the 5th inning. They did it to themselves. Then when Harper struck out at the end I just gathered my things and went out the door. I'll be back. 

oh i'll be fine. honestly after they went down 6-4, i knew we were going to lose and stopped caring.. and i'll be back of course. just commenting on how good our teams are at doing the absolute worst thing possible to a fan's emotions. never seen another city that is so good at stealing people's emotions in during the reg season, then crushing them a week later. every year

2020.  Believe me, that is the year.  One DC team will make the conference championship.  See the signature as to when championships will be won.  I've researched the annals of curses at the Library of Congress as well as talked to various shamans around the world and I have determined that is the year the curse will be lifted.  I can guarantee that I am correct in this assessment.  Don't worry, hope is on the way!

the more i think about it, sports in general just make no sense. at least no sense in the ESPN analysis/team scouts sense. how is that Belichick has won 5 championships with 1 great player and a bunch of other team leftovers, while we've had multiple teams stacked with some of the best players in the history of the sport, and we cant even win a ****ing playoff series?

5 hours ago, just654 said:

I have been saying this for years. Once 1 team does it. We will be title town. 1 team had to overcome the pressure to win it

Then what's the excuse for the Bullets and Caps from 1982 to 1991?  One team did win it all three times during that period, the Redskins.  I don't believe in curses. 

Victim of bad luck (calls not going your way, injury, etc.)?  Sure.  Players/teams blowing leads and shifting momentum to the opponents and eventually losing?  Sure.  Poor management, ownership, decision making (drafts, FA, etc.)?  Sure.  Curses?  No.

I don't believe in curses, but I believe in nerves and psychological blocks informed by history. Each loss feeds into the next one, perpetuating years of failure. It really makes a lot of sense.

Putting an anxious guy like Gio out there for game 5 was playing with fire, though it was statistically the right move because you put your best performer out there when you need them most. If Roark had failed, the criticisms would have been even louder because of his inferior ERA. 

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately this isn't Pittsburgh. It's Washington, DC. A place not known for fervent, dedicated fanbses.

Plenty of customers that would get that around here.

There is only one person to blame for it, and frankly, even then, this is  as much a place where everyone arrives, as much as everyone stays (and leaves), when they start their careers. Nothing can be done on that front.

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That's sickening.  I mean it's a transient area of course and I'm sure the people at Teeter know they can sell those, but ...ugh, just ugh.  You'd never see that in Pittsburgh for the Patriots.

Yeah I was at the mall the other day and at Champs sports they have Dak Prescot jerseys right next to Kirk Cousins ones.

I saw videos of how entire communities were getting together revved up for the Vikings and Eagles conf. championship game. You think that would happen here? When I went to school more than half the kids rooted for other teams.

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We win games in dc were supposed to lose all the time, I would not be entertained if I already knew the result before it started.  They haven't broken me yet.

I'll be pumped come Opening Day, I'm just in my Winter Doldrums, and the ****ing Eagles are in the Super Bowl.

Archived