Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Rex Ryan or Mike Zimmer.

Not only can they build solid defenses, but they're motivators that get people to play their hearts out--something we desperately need. We need a coach with a fire in his belly to get that damn ring.

You want to add Rex Ryan to this circus? I mean how could that go wrong ....

Mike Zimmer is someone I would be interested in though, I like the idea of a defensive minded coach if you pair him with a really good OC with a track record of developing QBs. If we go the offensive minded route, which I think we will, my (non existent) vote would go to Pete Carmichael from the Saints.

As of this morning...the only HC hire that would have me optimistic for the future is John Gruden. He has a reputation of working well with young, developing QBs. He is and offensive-minded coach and he carries with him a swagger and fire that this team sorely needs. However unlikely a hire Gruden is, he would be my pick...then again, it's Snyder's money not mine.

I lived in Tampa when he was coach there. He never developed a solid QB and often interchanged them from week to week. He started at least 10 QBs during his stint in Tampa and it was thought Simms (whom he drafted) and Griese both had major issues with his head games. 

No ex-Redskins players please.. I am tired of the retread fantasy.

Agree. Too many want to live in the SB glory days. I keep seeing Russ Grimm mentioned? Why? Because he played here? What does he have that people think could turn this team around? People are either delusional or idiots. I agree with you, let's move forward.

You want to add Rex Ryan to this circus? I mean how could that go wrong ....

Mike Zimmer is someone I would be interested in though, I like the idea of a defensive minded coach if you pair him with a really good OC with a track record of developing QBs. If we go the offensive minded route, which I think we will, my (non existent) vote would go to Pete Carmichael from the Saints.

Pete Carmichael is in his fifth season as the Saints’ offensive coordinator after tutoring the club’s quarterbacks the previous three years. Throughout this time, he has been a key figure in the planning and preparations of an offensive attack that has been ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, while leading the league in scoring in 2008 and 2009.

I still like him, or Roman from the 49r's.

Love them.... And leave them. Thats what Joe did to us.

Used and abused them...

We went 6-2 with Jim Zorn after Gibbs left.  Team was a contender until unravelling with poor leadership by Zorn.  Here is Bud Grant's pedigree.  Much better than anything we have hired since Gibbs.  Grant is still a consultant for the Vikings.

MIN 1967 3 8 3 .273 4th in NFL Central - - - - MIN 1968 8 6 0 .571 1st in NFL Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Baltimore Colts in Divisional Round MIN 1969 12 2 0 .857 1st in NFL Central 2 1 .667 Won NFL Championship. Lost to Chiefs in Super Bowl IV MIN 1970 12 2 0 .857 1st in NFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to San Francisco 49ers in Divisional Round MIN 1971 11 3 0 .786 1st in NFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in Divisional Round MIN 1972 7 7 0 .500 3rd in NFC Central - - - - MIN 1973 12 2 0 .857 1st in NFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Miami Dolphins in Super Bowl VIII MIN 1974 10 4 0 .714 1st in NFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Pittsburgh Steelers in Super Bowl IX MIN 1975 12 2 0 .857 1st in NFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in Divisional Round MIN 1976 11 2 1 .821 1st in NFC Central 2 1 .667 Lost to Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl XI MIN 1977 9 5 0 .643 1st in NFC Central 1 1 .500 Lost to Dallas Cowboys in NFC Championship Game MIN 1978 8 7 1 .531 1st in NFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Los Angeles Rams in Divisional Round MIN 1979 7 9 0 .438 3rd in NFC Central - - - - MIN 1980 9 7 0 .563 1st in NFC Central 0 1 .000 Lost to Philadelphia Eagles in Divisional Round MIN 1981 7 9 0 .438 4th in NFC Central - - - - MIN 1982* 5 4 0 .556 4th in NFC 1 1 .500 Lost to Washington Redskins in Divisional Round MIN 1983 8 8 0 .500 4th in NFC Central - - - - MIN 1985 7 9 0 .438 3rd in NFC Central - - -

Jay has developed Andy Dalton.

In this QB driven league developing a young QB is always a huge feather in the cap of any OC.

Andy Dalton (imho does not have more the average physical skillset) came from a spread offense and under Jay was able to make the transition to an NFL passing offense as a rookie* and improve each season.

58.1---3,398--20 TD-13 INT--80 rating

62.3---3,669--27 TD-16-INT--87

62-----3,419--25-TD-16-INT--87

Jay's offense has been middle of the road in points per game but he doesn't have a lot of talent outside AJ.

You're completely forgetting his o line, one of the best in the league.  That really can not be understated when looking at an offense.  And Gresham is, at the very least, a pretty solid athletic tight end.  And that's not even counting their rookies this year.  Let's be honest, across the board our offense has less talent than theirs.

Dalton isn't a physical specimen by any means, but people here really undersell that guy in order to oversell Gruden.  He was a borderline first rounder, not some forgotten longshot 6th rounder.

We went 6-2 with Jim Zorn after Gibbs left.  Team was a contender until unravelling with poor leadership by Zorn.  Here is Bud Grant's pedigree.  Much better than anything we have hired since Gibbs.  Grant is still a consultant for the Vikings.

Regardless of who our next coach is:

Pain... Before pleasure. Hopefully that is our claim to fame, come this time next year.

Skins, I am curious what the point of posting that fan article was? I read the whole article and didn't glean anything meaningful from it other than a disgruntled fan with an axe to grind against Bevell after a bad game by the offense that the team still won.

I am sure we can find negative article for any candidate after a bad game. *shrugs*

There is more to that blog article if you click on it.  I googled him and was checking things out, its rare for any assistant or coach to be loved by all.  If you go through Wilson's stats he's had some bad games this year.  I noticed that the media is all about what have you done lately when it comes to the young QBs.  Luck was the hot flavor.  Now not as much. Early in the season, Wilson was struggling along with RG3.  Now Wilson is the hot flavor.  Seattle hasn't exactly been Denver as to scoring points. 

I've watched a few Seattle games including last week.  They do stick to the run.  They are good at getting Wilson to get a rhythm going and move around the pocket to avoid pressure.   I read somewhere forgot where maybe it was on this thread that Bevell doesn't have much personality to him.  All of it is noise granted, am just trying to sort through it myself.  There is a lot of pro Bevelll stuff on this thread, am just trying to get the full picture as best as I can.

The next head coach often is exciting on paper when we cling to the positives, am just in my own mind trying to vet it some pro and con.  On Bevell, I don't really have an opinion yet. 

I'd like for us to take a look at defensive minded guys, or OL minded offensive guys. I think those things make a difference in a coach. That's not to say a OC type can't be successful, we all know better than that.

I'm definitely more interested in the individual's leadership, innovation, and organization than his background. The staff needs to have certain attributes somewhere (good offensive coordinator who can gameplan, strong defensive coordinator, etc.) but the head coach can really be anything-minded as long as the coaches and players will respect and follow him.

I lived in Tampa when he was coach there. He never developed a solid QB and often interchanged them from week to week. He started at least 10 QBs during his stint in Tampa and it was thought Simms (whom he drafted) and Griese both had major issues with his head games. 

Eh, I stand corrected. I was under the impression that he was/is a "QB-friendly" coach. I suppose my real point was that I believe his personality would do wonders for the attitude and approach of the overall team.

Examining the Seahawks' struggling offense: Darrell Bevell's predictable playcalling, refusal to adjust to blame

3rd in points scored says otherwise. As far as your assertion that they haven't been scoring Denver points, well no Duh!!! :) 1) Denver have scored 515 2) Bears - 368 3)Seahawks/Cowboys - 357 Huge difference between Denver and the next.

But, I don't only want Bevell because of his offense. I really don't want him to come and be a O-Coordinator. I want him to be a leader. He has worked with some of the best. As I said earlier Holmgren and Carroll. He has had Favre, Wilson, Peterson, Ahman Green etc.

I know those are some big names, but he knows how to handle those guys. You think Favre is easy to handle? I want him to hold people accountable for their job. We haven't seen that lately.

With the positions he has coached, the players he has worked with and the coaches he has worked for, this guy is set up for success. He has been a winner and continues to be one at this very minute.

He is on my short short short list. Bevell takes up spot 1-5 on my list. Everyone else is merely 6th best or worse. Also, for the love of all that is holy, please no Lovie Smith!!!!

Now if the Jets get fired, I wouldn't mind bringing Rex Ryan or Dennis Thurman to run our defense. You may not like Rex, but our defense would be nasty and not push overs like they are now.

We need to hire one of the remaining bright offensive minds left available as head coach -

Josh McCown with Marc Trestman

Nick Foles with Chip Kelly

Phillip Rivers with Mike McCoy

Jason Campbell with Rob Chudzinksi

Carson Palmer with Bruce Arians, to a lesser extent.

The success these guys are having with their new coaches -- the effect of hiring these coaches was actually underestimated, which is wild. Maybe first-year luck, but I doubt it with these offensive minds specifically.

This is the bar.

For everyone nostalgic about veteran head coaches of old - did you watch night's new (Trestman) vs. the old (Monte Kiffin)? It's an evolving offense-driven game and we need to find the guy who will be our offensive mastermind and architect. An offense that looks like Chip Kelly's is the future, not a gimmick (Nick Foles, 9.0 yards per pass attempt; Mike Vick 8.6).

Unfortunately, we might be a year late to the party in finding that franchise head coach

Bruce Allen-VP of Buisiness Operations

Scott Piolli-GM/Player Personel

Pete Carmicheal or Greg Roman-HC

Lovie Smith or Jack Del Rio- DC

Brian Callahan or Kyle Shanahan- OC

London Fletcher-ST coach

.... where to even begin? Jack Del Rio is going to leave the best offense in football and a stable organization to come... here?

Kyle Shanahan is going to look the other way on his father going down in flames here and surely having a bitter falling out with the organization?

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2013/10/31/5051994/seahawks-playcalling-darrell-bevell-predictable

Examining the Seahawks' struggling offense: Darrell Bevell's predictable playcalling, refusal to adjust to blame

This article is meaningless.  Bevell has one of the strongest resumes for a first time HC.  I remember a lot of Packer fans were skeptical and disappointed when Mike McCarthy was first hired.  They were wondering why the Packers would get a OC from a bad team (2005 49ers) who were ranked 30 out of 32 in scored points.   I also recall times in the past when some Cowboy fans ****ed about Sean Payton's playcalling.   Now most Cowboy fans wish he'd been their HC.

Why am I the only person who thinks Tony Dungy would be a good fit (although I doubt he leaves his current gig especially to come here).

Because most of us don't want to repeat the same crap over and over.  SB retread coaches just don't have that much success with another team.  It's time for us to get an OC with great HC potential.  Going for a splashy retread just screams the same old crap and lessons not learned.

Archived