Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

We obviously need a new coach, who is out there on the sidelines? I know Gruden is in contract with MNF but we need someone with some real pedigree. I don't think Cowher fits but I knew his name was being thrown around a few years ago and a college coach is just too risky even with the recent success with PC, CK and JH. Any good, talented and young coordinators out there?

Gibbs 3 :D

Speaking of Gibbs, granted he was a great OC in San Diego, but who knew who he was when Beathard brought him to DC?  Probably the same situation today......probably is some good coordinator talent is out there (Jay Gruden is often mentioned), but it takes someone to identify it.  Can Bruce Allen make a good hire?

The other rub is whether Snyder would afford a new coordinator the same amount of time that he's given Shanny?

What difference would it make?

We tried the great college coach, Steve spurrier, he couldn't fix it. We tried the old vet coach with tons of experience, Marty Schottenheimer, and he couldn't fix it. We have a guy now in Shanahan with a great career winning percentage and Super Bowl championships, and he cannot fix it.

Even the mythological Hall of Fame coach, Joe Gibbs, could not escape the dark cloud that hovers over this franchise, though he gave the most valiant of efforts. What he did is nothing short of a miracle, and yet that ended in the most unthinkable tragedy.

It seems to be inevitable. What coach could possibly overcome the hand of destiny? It is our fate to be bad.

We don't need a new coach, we need help from a higher power.

We tried the great college coach, Steve spurrier, he couldn't fix it. We tried the old vet coach with tons of experience, Marty Schottenheimer, and he couldn't fix it. We have a guy now in Shanahan with a great career winning percentage and Super Bowl championships, and he cannot fix it.

Even the mythological Hall of Fame coach, Joe Gibbs, could not escape the dark cloud that hovers over this franchise, though he gave the most valiant of efforts. What he did is nothing short of a miracle, and yet that ended in the most unthinkable tragedy.

It seems to be inevitable. What coach could possibly overcome the hand of destiny? It is our fate to be bad.

You guys kill me with this silly ****

Hire a component GM and let him build the team. There is no cloud here. They need an Oline, number 1 WR, MLB, and defensive secondary.

You read my mind...it really feels this way sometimes.  No matter what they do it seems destined to fail.

Que the avowed atheists who start singing about the nickname "karma" curse again...lol

A better coach could get more out of this talent but it would still only be about a 5 or 6 win team right now.

You guys kill me with this silly ****

Hire a component GM and let him build the team. There is no cloud here. They need an Oline, number 1 WR, MLB, and defensive secondary.

Snyder doesn't recognize the fact that the biggest part of Gibbs success in the 80s was Bobby Beathard finding talent practically anywhere. Anyone can score on a 1st round pick but the only late round star Shanahan has found is Morris. Beathard found guys like that every season.

We need to make a smart choice. It's not about what "type" of coach.

If all the women you date are in prison, then you made bad choices. You really can't claim to be "cursed" because you tried a redhead, a blonde and a brunette and none worked out and therefore there are no other types to be tried.

Snyder doesn't recognize the fact that the biggest part of Gibbs success in the 80s was Bobby Beathard finding talent practically anywhere. Anyone can score on a 1st round pick but the only late round star Shanahan has found is Morris. Beathard found guys like that every season.

Back then there was no salary cap. It is much easier to acquire talent when there is no spending limit.

I do not think Bruce Allen is that bad. I don't think Shanny is that bad either. Heck, I think we have talent, and I still think RG is a franchise quarterback.

I cannot figure what the problem is, because it is always something different. If the defense is good, then the offense is terrible. If the offense is good, then the defense is terrible. If offense and defense do okay, then special teams mess up.

If we finally put it all together, then somebody gets hurt, or worse. If it is not comically bad, then it is tragically so.

Despair Redskins faithful, for there is no hope. Change coaches, GMs, players, whatever you want. The results will be the same. It is our destiny to suck. This is what we are, and this is what we do. How could it be any other way?

We need to make a smart choice. It's not about what "type" of coach.

If all the women you date are in prison, then you made bad choices. You really can't claim to be "cursed" because you tried a redhead, a blonde and a brunette and none worked out and therefore there are no other types to be tried.

The forces at work here are beyond rationality. Our ceaseless torment defies all logic.

There is a clear cut formula to hiring a Head Coach in the NFL. It's not a guarantee(nothing is), but over the history of the NFL it's proven successful.

Hire a young up and comer, preferably someone in his 40s(early 50s is okay too). Someone with a decent chunk of experience, particularly as a Coordinator, and someone from a winning organization. Someone who has been successful without necessarily lots of talent. Someone who can grow and develop as a coach, basically our next version of Joe Gibbs.

The guys I like are Darrell Bevel and Greg Roman, the OCs of Seattle and San Francisco. Bevell is 43 and has 8 years experience as an OC(5 in Minny, 3 in Seattle). Roman is 41 and has spent the last three years as OC in San Fran. If we go the DC route I like Todd Bowles and Ray Horton. Both are a tad bit older(Bowles is 50, Horton 53), but they are getting excellent results as the DC of Arizona and Cleveland without necessarily having the most talent in the world.

Historically college coaches haven't worked, but lately they have(Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, and now possibly Chip Kelly as well). Kelly is a bit of an outlier as Harbaugh and Carroll both had extensive NFL experience, I don't think we'll see another Chip Kelly again anytime soon. The one college coach I really like is David Shaw. He's only 41, and he's won a lot at Stanford even if he doesn't necessarily get the most talent, and he's got a decent amount of NFL coaching experience(mostly as a position coach).

And then finally, the retread route. This is actually not a bad route to go either, HOWEVER you DO NOT WANT someone who has already won a Super Bowl. No coach has ever won Super Bowls on two different teams, it just doesn't happen. Instead you want a retread who's still somewhat young, has had some success but hasn't yet won the big game, and is still hungry. I really like Jack Del Rio, I mean he won in Jacksonville for christ sakes. I wouldn't be opposed to Lovie Smith either, he'll be roughly the same age Tom Coughlin was when he took over the Giants. If anyone mentions Gruden or Cowher...well lets just say they are not very smart.

Ken Whisenhunt - Head Coach/ OC

Russ Grimm - Asst HC/ O-line coach

Lovie Smith - DC

Whisenhunt flamed out in AZ. He isn't setting the world afire in San Diego. Russ Grimm is a beloved old Hog. He hasn't set the world on fire either, but I'm okay with him as O-line coach.

Lovie Smith is the only one of the three I agree with. He'd at the very least be a HUGE upgrade from Hasneverbeen.

Whisenhunt is actually a very interesting choice. You say he's not lightning it up in SD, but the Chargers offense is legit good and he's turned Rivers's career around even though he doesn't necessarily have world class talent around him(an older Gates and a 3rd round rookie WR who's been good, but still a rook). His offenses in Pittsburgh were pretty solid too, and he was quite successful with a Cardinals team that hadn't won squat before he got there. I'd actually be okay with hiring Whsienhunt too.

Back then there was no salary cap. It is much easier to acquire talent when there is no spending limit.

I do not think Bruce Allen is that bad. I don't think Shanny is that bad either. Heck, I think we have talent, and I still think RG is a franchise quarterback.

I cannot figure what the problem is, because it is always something different. If the defense is good, then the offense is terrible. If the offense is good, then the defense is terrible. If offense and defense do okay, then special teams mess up.

If we finally put it all together, then somebody gets hurt, or worse. If it is not comically bad, then it is tragically so.

Despair Redskins faithful, for there is no hope. Change coaches, GMs, players, whatever you want. The results will be the same. It is our destiny to suck. This is what we are, and this is what we do. How could it be any other way?

Beathard built those teams through the draft and trading for players other teams didn't want. Drafting Art Monk, Darrell Grenn, Mark May, Russ Grimm, Dexter Manley, Charles Mann, and Mark Rypien among others had nothing to do with free agency. The only big free agent he ever signed was Wilber Marshall and even that turned out ten times better than most of Shanahan's free agent signings. 

GM Scott Pioli

HC Josh McDaniels/Tom Clements/Pete Carmichael Jr

OC Brian Dabol/Ken Dorsey

QB Coach: Phillip Montgomery Baylor

DC Romeo Crenel

If a good OC is available: Philbin/Kubiac/Rick Dennison then you can consider a defensive HC Lovie Smith

That's wierd, I was thinking just a couple of days ago how great it would be to get Dorsey and Montgomery on the staff together.

Archived