Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I would give Bruce Allen a promotion to president or something like that and start interviewing GM canidates. Allen is well respected around the NFL and is not the person that many on here portray him to be. Like many others have already said hopefully the GM would be somebody from a team like the Steelers, Packers, Ravens, Patriots, Giants or Saints. Consistent winners with a track record of smart free agent and draft pick moves. Let Snyder, Allen and the new GM pick a coach and not be in a big hurry about it. Make sure you get the right guy. My top two choices would be David Shaw and Bill O'Brien. Shaw has stated that he does not want to leave Stanford but I would try to hire him with everything I had. I think without a doubt he is the top choice out there. The only thing that worries me about O'Brien is that no other former Patriots coach like McDaniels, Crennell and Weis have done very well on there own in the NFL.

Pete Carmichael is in his fifth season as the Saints’ offensive coordinator after tutoring the club’s quarterbacks the previous three years. Throughout this time, he has been a key figure in the planning and preparations of an offensive attack that has been ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, while leading the league in scoring in 2008 and 2009.

'nuff said?

Be careful.  Gruden is off the record as saying he would give Cousins an equal shot.  Pete Carmichael is the latest genius to benefit from an All-Pro QB.   The Skins next HC will be given an ultimatum that RG3 has to be the starter.   No way to run a football team.

Pete Carmichael is in his fifth season as the Saints’ offensive coordinator after tutoring the club’s quarterbacks the previous three years. Throughout this time, he has been a key figure in the planning and preparations of an offensive attack that has been ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, while leading the league in scoring in 2008 and 2009.

'nuff said?

I don't remember, what hand did he have in leading the disastrous Saints offense last year without Payton? Didn't they struggle and if so, are you concerned his success is more because of Payton? 

Be careful.  Gruden is off the record as saying he would give Cousins an equal shot.  Pete Carmichael is the latest genius to benefit from an All-Pro QB.   The Skins next HC will be given an ultimatum that RG3 has to be the starter.   No way to run a football team.

With what we gave up to get him and waht he showed last season, how they plan on developing and improving Griffin should be part of the hiring process to potential coaches 

I don't remember, what hand did he have in leading the disastrous Saints offense last year without Payton? Didn't they struggle and if so, are you concerned his success is more because of Payton? 

The Saints offense from last year was ranked 3rd in points and 2nd in yardage. Disastrous?

It was the defense that fell apart (31 and 32 ranked respectively).

carmichael_bio_card.jpg

'nuff said?

After watching them last season, I don't have any desire for anyone on the Saint's roster in terms of offense as I am of a firm belief that it's Peyton that makes that thing go and deserves offensive credit. Would rather take Bevel or Roman over Carmichael in terms of OC's.

All I know is that I want Mike Singletary to be somehow involved in this organization, maybe as our Special teams coach?  Ive never seen someone whose better at cutting through the bull**** and getting players to focus on accountability and effort.  We need that here bigtime

For all those saying Whisenhunt, were you ones that would continually complain about Kyle's play calling and nit picking things? And if so, were you individual nit picking the horrible end of game play calling on the goal line by the Chargers in the San Diego game?

The Saints offense from last year was ranked 3rd in points and 2nd in yardage. Disastrous?

It was the defense that fell apart (31 and 32 ranked respectively).

Dang, I didn't realize that. I knew the defense was a wreck but all the talk I saw everywhere was how terrible everything went on O after Payton went out. Quite the narrative to form. 

After watching them last season, I don't have any desire for anyone on the Saint's roster in terms of offense as I am of a firm belief that it's Peyton that makes that thing go and deserves offensive credit...

You guys have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the Saints offense last year.

You are obviously just throwing your thoughts out there and seeing what sticks.

Do your own research so you don't seem like you have no clue what you are talking about.

You guys have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the Saints offense last year.

Do your own research so you don't seem like you have no clue what you are talking about.

I was asking a question because I didn't know, not throwing something against a wall and seeing what sticks. I had thought they struggled on offense because that is what the media portrayed last year and I don't follow the Saints but no I didn't look it up, that's why I asked. 

I have been on board with Carmichael because of the results of all the previous years except last year from what I could tell, were pretty great. I was willing to write off one bad season without Payton as just a bad situation all around but I am glad to see that wasn't the case anyway and only makes his resume more impressive. 

With what we gave up to get him and waht he showed last season, how they plan on developing and improving Griffin should be part of the hiring process to potential coaches 

Getting the best players on the field is what the Skins need.  If it Cousin's, then it's Cousins.  "What we gave up to get him", is no way to run a franchise.

I was asking a question because I didn't know, not throwing something against a wall and seeing what sticks. I had thought they struggled on offense because that is what the media portrayed last year and I don't follow the Saints but no I didn't look it up, that's why I asked. 

I have been on board with Carmichael because of the results of all the previous years except last year from what I could tell, were pretty great. I was willing to write off one bad season without Payton as just a bad situation all around but I am glad to see that wasn't the case anyway and only makes his resume more impressive. 

My apologies. I misread your post. Thought you were making implications with your questions. My fault.

I'm a little on edge....

Giving it a closer look, you're right. The offense wasn't as bad on paper as memory of watching it suggested it was.

That said...it'd also be really interested on what your stance on this offense with the Redskins has been all year and what your stances have been in terms of "Garbage time has been helping it look better" and "Offensive rank doesn't matter". It's such a large split on this board as to who takes what stance on this offense that it's hard for me to honestly remember where you came down on the matter, but I'd love for you to enlighten me on it.

At least if you've consistently been a stats over the "eye ball test" type of guy in all circumstances then I can understand the pointing out of Carmichael.

I will say I'm still a bit leery of a guy whose by all accounts I've ever heard is running another coaches system for the most part and who has one of the top 3 to 5 QB's in the game for most of his tenure. However, at this point, I'd be fine with rolling the dice on him as much as many others.

That said...it'd also be really interested on what your stance on this offense with the Redskins has been all year and what your stances have been in terms of "Garbage time has been helping it look better" and "Offensive rank doesn't matter". It's such a large split on this board as to who takes what stance on this offense that it's hard for me to honestly remember where you came down on the matter, but I'd love for you to enlighten me on it.....

I will say I'm still a bit leery of a guy whose by all accounts I've ever heard is running another coaches system for the most part and who has one of the top 3 to 5 QB's in the game for most of his tenure. However, at this point, I'd be fine with rolling the dice on him as much as many others.

My thoughts on the offense are more detailed then looking at stats or the 'eye ball' test. I have several threads that focus on the opening series and first quarter of games. Play concepts, plays and gameplan are discussed often with screen caps/pictures and explanations.

Firstly I think Yards is a vastly overrated and don't find it a very meaningful stat in terms of offense. I focus on points. Our offense is ranked 23rd in points. But, we don't score in the 1st quarter of games. We were the last team in the NFL (week 13) to score a TD on our opening drive. For most of the season DeAngelo Hall had more 1st quarter points (14) then the offense (9). I'll stop there but I could continue.

I have NFL Sunday ticket and I watch the Saints every chance I get and they're offense moved the ball and scored at will last year and now. The Saints WRs weren't saying 'we suck at passing' like Garcon did.

And every NFL coach is groomed under another coach through their system. The NFL is an apprenticeship business.

I fully admit that my impression from watching the Saints last year, and from what the general storyline regarding them from analysts that know far more about football than I seemed to be pushing, may be wrong. Based on what you're saying, Carmichael may very well be a good choice for a potential HC candidate. Would still not be my top choice of OC's over someone like Bevel, but as I said...based on what you're saying, I'd not be bothered by the choice if it went that way.

Unless we hear something to the contrary in the next 24 hours, it is looking to me like Shanny will finish out the season.

Redskins.com has a story about Shanny looking ahead to the next three games. Also, without Shanny and son, we will not have anybody to call plays.

Snyder is pissed, but I think we will have to wait a few weeks before the heads roll.

Archived