Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I'm not saying any coach is better then another.

I'm just trying to post some information on some candidates that I like.

Pete Carmichael Jr drawback, like you said, is that he's hasn't worked with a QB other then Brees and Brees was developed by Payton.

But, without a doubt knows how to coordinate an offense the question remains can he coordinate an offense without Brees and can he develop a QB without Payton.

I fully admit that my impression from watching the Saints last year, and from what the general storyline regarding them from analysts that know far more about football than I seemed to be pushing, may be wrong. Based on what you're saying, Carmichael may very well be a good choice for a potential HC candidate. Would still not be my top choice of OC's over someone like Bevel, but as I said...based on what you're saying, I'd not be bothered by the choice if it went that way.

We tried the old vet coach with tons of experience, Marty Schottenheimer, and he couldn't fix it.

Even the mythological Hall of Fame coach, Joe Gibbs, could not escape the dark cloud that hovers over this franchise, though he gave the most valiant of efforts. What he did is nothing short of a miracle, and yet that ended in the most unthinkable tragedy.

We don't need a new coach, we need help from a higher power.

Socratic, the above arguments ain't.  They tried the old vet coach, and he got canned because of the same ego that caused him to be a great coach.  Even then, he went 8-8 with Tony Banks.  He was fixing it.

Gibbs and the tragedy had nothing in common other than occuring during the same time span, but otherwise, you're right.  Two paloffs in three years is near miraculous.

And isn't this the same coach whose team won the division last year?  This is Snyder's first coach [that he selected himself] to pull that off.  Lots of ink spilt over a guy who proved he could be successful here.

So in the end, narratives mangled or not, I agree with your conclusion.  It's not the coach.  Heck, the Skins have been successful under three (Schot, Gibbs, and Shanny).  The question is why isn't that winning sustained?  Why is the first successful coach canned for doing his job?  Why was the second, vetted by the previous ownership, hired, when he only had a few years to give and no succession plan?  And why can't the owner know by now to leave the players alone with the third?  Shanny wants to play Cousins, let him.

I wish I knew what the higher power would be that could get Snyder to hand over management of the team, but I've got no idea.

But, without a doubt knows how to coordinate an offense the question remains can he coordinate an offense without Brees and can he develop a QB without Payton.

I would also add, can RGIII run the offense Carmichael would like to run? How long would it take him to master it? How flexible would Carmichael be in his offensive design - does he have his 'system' that RGIII must run or would he design a similarly-explosive/efficient offense around RGIII's skillset?  .... questions needed to be asked for any potential coordinator/coach.

I think we need to add one of the brightest and innovative offensive minds in football at Head Coach. We all see how this is becoming (is) a league driven by offense - I think there were 7 new head coaches hired last year that came from the offensive side of the ball. Personally, I also fear that last offseason's head coaching crop mirrored the unusually great rookie QB class of 2012. I hope we didn't miss out on a potentially elite franchise head coach or offensive mind.

Ultimately, I don't see how we add that great offensive mind unless we make him a head coach. I strongly doubt there will be a lateral move - OC elsewhere to OC here - and I don't feel great about bringing in a first-time coordinator for RGIII. I'd doubt our braintrust do either.

Forget retreads and forget media guys who haven't coached in ages.

No worries - I'm sure O'Brien would reject the 'Skins offer saying, "I'd never take a coaching position in a situation that toxic.  That's crazy!"

If I wasn't a PSU fan I would say Bill O'Brien. But I want him to stay at PSU! He would teach RGIII how to pass that's for sure.

Personally I'm leaning towards Whisenhunt.  He was great with Ben in Pittsburgh and was able to get Arizona to a SB with a cheap ass owner.  And he hired the right guys on defense as the Cards have had a good, solid defense while he was head coach.  Plus Rivers in SD is having one of  his best years as a QB.

Jay Gruden:

220px-Jay_Gruden.jpg

As coach:

http://www.bengals.com/team/coaches/Gruden-Jay/7c47da98-6b51-4405-998b-2b706069c0b6

Jay Gruden is in his third season as Bengals offensive coordinator. His first two seasons have seen the Bengals claim a pair of playoff berths, with three Cincinnati offensive players making the Pro Bowl in each season.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis credits Gruden’s system with having helped Dalton enjoy success from the outset.

“We are much simpler in our scheme for the quarterback since Jay has come on board,” Lewis says. “We are not reinventing the wheel against every new defense we face. The quarterback has a lot of leeway in the things he can call, and Jay recognized that Andy was the type of player who could use those options effectively.”

Despite having only two seasons himself at the NFL coordinator level, Gruden is recognized across the NFL as one of the league’s most promising young offensive minds. Following last season, he earned interviews with four teams for vacant head coaching positions. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Gruden                                                                                                              

If I wasn't a PSU fan I would say Bill O'Brien. But I want him to stay at PSU! He would teach RGIII how to pass that's for sure.

I live in Atloona PA, 35 mins from PSU, but im not a PSU fan, im a die hard ND fan.

With that being said Bill O Brien is my dream coach for the Skins. Hackenberg is going to be the next Tom Brady when he gets out of college. Bill O Brien, in my opinion, is the next Lombardi. What he has done with PSU in that time of crisis and what he has to work with is amazing. Even more amazing is, watch the first Psu game of the year from this season, and then immediately watch their last game vs wisconsin. Hackenberg has already gotten so much better in 1 season, its just scary how good bill could make him.

Edit:

Did someone seriously say Jay Gruden???? Seriously? Ughhhhh

Basically we have to face the fact that we're the Raiders of the East. We're not going to get any of the big name coaches with even a hint of a chance to coach somewhere else because they know that Snyder will ruin their reputation (especially if they can't turn it around). Look at what he did to Zorn and now Shanny, not to mention Shotty. And remember the story about him and Nolan? I just don't think that sits well in NFL circles.

So basically I think that we're going to be left looking for another Zorn. Basically a positional coach who gets the jump to a head coaching job (skips being a coordinator).

With that being stated, here are a few lists of prominent positional coaches:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/The-NFLs-top-assistant-coaches.html

http://nflsfuture.com/2013/07/11/nfl-position-coaches-to-keep-an-eye-on/

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/41234/power-rankings-rising-assistant-coaches

You live in Altoona? I feel sorry for you. Is there anything to do in that town? But yes Hackenberg has top 5 pick written all over him.

I live in Atloona PA, 35 mins from PSU, but im not a PSU fan, im a die hard ND fan.
With that being said Bill O Brien is my dream coach for the Skins. Hackenberg is going to be the next Tom Brady when he gets out of college. Bill O Brien, in my opinion, is the next Lombardi. What he has done with PSU in that time of crisis and what he has to work with is amazing. Even more amazing is, watch the first Psu game of the year from this season, and then immediately watch their last game vs wisconsin. Hackenberg has already gotten so much better in 1 season, its just scary how good bill could make him.

Edit:
Did someone seriously say Jay Gruden???? Seriously? Ughhhhh

You live in Altoona? I feel sorry for you. Is there anything to do in that town? But yes Hackenberg has top 5 pick written all over him.

Nope, nothing to do here, but now that Im older with 2 kids, I dont do much anyways, still, it sucks here, haha. But yes, my ultimate dream is a BOB/Hack reunion in DC. Of course thats IF griffin continues to play like this. If he bounces back, well, then Im all for keeping him.

Looks like a few PA guys here, SkinsFanPA where you live up here in the keystone state? And what about you Lavar, you live in state college?

Also to keep the thread on topic, I love David Shaw, but I would prefer BOB and Carmichael over him.

How about we just stop the shenanigans and become a functioning, professionally run franchise? And then the media has nothing to report. The leaks are symptomatic of a dysfunctional institution, not an individual. 

Easier said that done apparently.  I think we're moving in the right direction sans the mole.

Shanahan need not look beyond his nose.

I don't know about this.  I would agree if this was the first time, but it happens with every coaching regime.  I think this mole works in the front office and has been around since Snyder purchased the team.  

The notion that an aspiring HC would turn down a chance to coach any NFL franchise is crazy to me.

Every NFL HC spot is a coveted position.

This one offers a free shot too. When coaches succeed here, they get credit. When coaches fail here, people just blame Snyder. At this point, you really cannot harm your reputation. 

I live in Atloona PA, 35 mins from PSU, but im not a PSU fan, im a die hard ND fan.With that being said Bill O Brien is my dream coach for the Skins. Hackenberg is going to be the next Tom Brady when he gets out of college. Bill O Brien, in my opinion, is the next Lombardi. What he has done with PSU in that time of crisis and what he has to work with is amazing. Even more amazing is, watch the first Psu game of the year from this season, and then immediately watch their last game vs wisconsin. Hackenberg has already gotten so much better in 1 season, its just scary how good bill could make him.Edit:Did someone seriously say Jay Gruden???? Seriously? Ughhhhh

What's wrong with Jay Gruden?

redskins4ever28, I'm holding down the fort in York, PA....

And I must say, I LOVE what Bill O'Brien has done at Penn State, but I want him to stay there!  They might have actually found the right guy to lead him through the sanctions and beyond, and with Hackenberg playing as he did this season, I think O'Brien will stick around...

Pick the right guy for the 'Skins job, but please...let BO'B stay in State College...

Archived