Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Who's fawning? All I asked was what was wrong with him as a possible candidate. I'm not the guy to talk to about fawning over him.

Why are you taking it to extremes? Dalton can hold back the offense without being Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's terrible throwing the deep ball, which is a shame in that offense with Green. And it puts a ceiling on an already effective offense. He's good enough everywhere else. But that doesn't invalidate what I said--ideally, you'd have a QB who can consistently make all the throws. I see a lot of Bengals games. Dalton is poor in that regard.

I think the better question is what qualifies him as a possible candidate.  His name gets mentioned far more often than a statistically average 3rd year OC warrants, and the only reason I can think of why his name gets mentioned so much is because of, well, his name.

Very few qb's are going to have all the tools.  Is Schaub better than Dalton?  How about Josh McCown?  Cinci has one of the most talented offensive rosters in the league and all they have are average offenses to show for it.

Speaking of McCown, I wouldn't at all mind looking at Aaron Kromer.  That's a guy as the NO o line coach who sent 5 different players to the pro bowl in 4 years.  NO rarely drafts o line highly, so it's not like he had incredible talent coming in.  He's come to chicago and lowered their sack total from once per 11 attempts to once per 21 attempts while having 2 rookies on the line.  He doesn't call the plays in Chicago but I'm pretty sure he did as interim HC in new orleans.  While they went 2-4 in those 6 games, his offense averaged 29 points per game, so it was hardly the offense's fault.

I Haven't read one good offensive coach that would fit with rg3 style.

I like lovie Smith but our defensive personnel is setup to play a 3-4 and he runs a 4-3.

Mike Shanahan is our best coach available. I hope he and Snyder work it out also we already have a gm in Allen so all you people saying hire a Gm must be under a rock.

Can we buy a new owner? Let's go public stock like the Packers and us es members can get a real ceo.

Not sure why everyone is dead set on having a football GM. I think the coach/GM situation can work. It just didn't work with Shanahan.

I get what the risk is, coach ends up carrying the players that help him keep his job instead of the ones that will work out over the long term like Shanahan has done, but there can also be a disconnect if the GM and coach are managing the team in opposite directions.

If there is a GM change, what about Bill Polian? Dude got canned because his 20 million dollar QB missed 16 games and his backup sucked. They get a new QB and make the playoffs. It clearly was a well-stocked team. Maybe I'm missing something but he seemed like a decent GM for Indy.

I keep hearing people mention GM Scott Pioli. Why? He was a failure with the Chiefs and got fired. Prior to that his best part of his resume shows up with the Patriots. Prior to that Jets... they have always sucked. Prior to that Ravens...not sure what the Pro Personel Coordinator does but that was in 96...were the Ravens even good in 96? Prior to that he was with the Browns... the Browns have always sucked. and prior to that a couple of BS college gigs. You can't come up with someone better more proven? 

Pioli actually did a really good job in developing the talent on the Chiefs roster - he just got the QB position wrong. Now admittedly thats a pretty big thing to get wrong but if you overlook that the talent he put together has 10 wins already this year and just handed us our asses.

He was pretty junior at the Browns but worked under Belicheck and was part of putting together a very good roster going in the right direction until the owner pulled the rug from under everyones feet and moved the whole franchise to Baltimore announcing the move 12 months ahead of time .....

I'd be happy with giving him another run at a GM role here. Doubt that happens though.

Allen is not going anywhere since he probably is a Snyder yes man

Probably right - but he should be moved 'upstairs' into some team President role which is about community relations/PR/non football opps. Leave room for a real GM who runs the football opps, is accountable for the won/loss and hires and fires the HC.

You bring back tested coaches who have withstood the test of time.

Marty and Gibbs speak for themselves in terms of what they have done in DC.

Seifert continued the Bill Walsh legacy in SF.

Bud Grant - Purple People Eaters.

Jerry Burns - took over for Bud Grant in Minnesota, was their coach against us in Championship game

Bill Parcells - originator of the 3-4 defense with the Giants along with Belichick.  Great defensive mind and disciplinarian.

You want to INSTILL PRIDE AND TOUGHNESS YOU HAVE TO BRING THE RIGHT COACH.

Allen is not going anywhere since he probably is a Snyder yes man

I'm worried about him becoming another Cerrato GM who allows Danny to play fantasy football.

Jerry Burns - took over for Bud Grant in Minnesota, was their coach against us in Championship game

Bill Parcells - originator of the 3-4 defense with the Giants along with Belichick. Great defensive mind and disciplinarian.

I'm worried about him becoming another Cerrato GM who allows Danny to play fantasy football.

Bud Grant alone is 86 years old. Every guy you mentioned would have no interest coming back to coach and probably lost the fire/code of the warrior years ago

Bill Parcells - originator of the 3-4 defense with the Giants along with Belichick. Great defensive mind and disciplinarian.

So sorry to hear about your coma. You should really read up on events of the past twenty years before posting though.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2013/10/31/5051994/seahawks-playcalling-darrell-bevell-predictable

Examining the Seahawks' struggling offense: Darrell Bevell's predictable playcalling, refusal to adjust to blame

Russell Wilson was sacked a season-high 7 times by the St. Louis Rams on Monday Night Football. But it's not as bad as the stat line suggests. In fact, it's worse. Wilson was hurried and hit on many non-sack plays; and with just 25 dropbacks, the Rams' sack percentage is a mind-numbing 28%.

Seattle recorded just 7 first downs and 135 yards of total offense in the win, causing advanced analytic models everywhere to curl up in the fetal position and cry for mercy.

But these things happen, right? There are undoubtedly multiple issues and non-repeatable random factors. There's no need to point the finger. And we absolutely shouldn't oversimplify things. Right? Wrong. This is America. This is the NFL. We are sports fans.

There are no tricks, no hidden treasures, no developmental techniques that can give a team a leg up in acquiring quality blockers. You just gotta pay for them. Seattle has $14 million of its cap currently paying offensive linemen who were acquired in, or kept from, free agency (Giacomini, McQuistan, and Unger). Along with the contracts for Carpenter and Okung, that's $25.5M, about 22% of the current cap spending (excluding dead money). In four drafts, Carroll and Schneider have used 3 out of their highest 8 (first and second round) draft picks on the offensive line.

Front office: pass

In the three previous games, Seattle gave up a sack on 7.1% of dropbacks. Lynch and Turbin averaged 4.5 yards per carry and just over 100 yards per game. Wilson passed for 222 per game.

Clearly, the offensive line can. This is Cable's responsibility.Against St. Louis, the offensive line didn't. This falls on the offensive coordinator.

...Last year, Seattle scored go-ahead touchdowns against both the Patriots and the Vikings on a two-man route. That's two receivers going out for a pass and eight guys blocking. On the deep touchdown to Tate against the Rams, there were seven players assigned to block (and block only; no chips into routes). Seattle has been very successful using max-protect: it complements Wilson's deep ball skills and provides him more lateral room to scramble in the backfield if needed.

And here's another, slightly crazy idea: Run the damn ball. Even if it's not working very well, you're at least beating up on the opposing defense instead of letting them beat up on your quarterback. Seattle handed the ball off to a running back just 12 times on Monday night, netting 28 yards with an average of 2.33 yards/carry. For comparison, Seattle's first 12 passing plays produced a net of 20 yards, or 1.7 yards per dropback. After 19 passing plays, Seattle had netted exactly 1 yard of passing (with yards lost to sacks), for an average of 0.05 yards per dropback. Mathematically, the running game to that point was 44 times more effective.

He displays the ignorance and arrogance of a coach who refuses to engage in strategic optimization because "our defense should be able to make a stop here", then comes back the following week facing the same situation in reverse and claims that "our offense should be able to convert here". NFL football is damned competitive. It is insufficient to have superior talent and good execution if you're going to hamstring your players with bad play calls.

Darrell Bevell is like a man playing rock-paper-scissors, but with Seattle's superior talent he has a "cheat": his rock crushes an opponent's rock. Over the course of many plays, this cheat should guarantee victory. But if you keep calling rock, eventually a smart guy like Jeff Fisher is going to call nothing but paper and hand you your ass.

I compiled a spreadsheet of every offensive play Seattle has ran this year to examine Bevell's tendencies. I threw out the last three minutes against San Franciso (running out clock with a 26-point lead) and the Tarvaris Jackson garbage time against the Jaguars. I also eliminated plays inside an opponent's 10-yard-line, where the compressed field changes the dynamics.

For the season, on second down with 1 or 2 yards to go, Seattle has run the ball 6 times and passed just once. Not only is that a wasted opportunity, but Bevell's tendency to trot out the jumbo package ("we should be able to convert") has made it easy for opponents to respond. Just half of those runs converted a first down.

It gets worse....

I would go down to Texas A&M and find a way to get Kevin Sumlin out of there. If I couldn't get him I would definitely look at Josh Mcdaniels. I want a Offensive Guy as the Coach who will install a more versatile and flexible Offense that can actually run up tempo all game and does more than Zone Stretch Runs, Playaction Passes and QB Read Options. Then get a veteran 3-4 Coach like Romeo Crennel to be the Asst Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator.

I would go down to Texas A&M and find a way to get Kevin Sumlin out of there. If I couldn't get him I would definitely look at Josh Mcdaniels. I want a Offensive Guy as the Coach who will install a more versatile and flexible Offense that can actually run up tempo all game and does more than Zone Stretch Runs, Playaction Passes and QB Read Options. Then get a veteran 3-4 Coach like Romeo Crennel to be the Asst Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator.

You mean the guy who used a first round pick on Tim Tebow? If he got hired I would quit being a Redskins fan.

And that's literally the first time I've ever made that threat, seriously or hypothetically. That's how bad that hire would be.

I'm in for Bill O'Brien or Bevell. My top choice would be O'Brien. What O'Brien did at Penn State is nothing short of amazing. I see O'Brien being a Joe Gibbs type with a little more fire.

I think we definitely have some talent; however, we need a coach that would be able to maximize it and I think O'Brien is that guy.

You mean the guy who used a first round pick on Tim Tebow? If he got hired I would quit being a Redskins fan.

And that's literally the first time I've ever made that threat, seriously or hypothetically. That's how bad that hire would be.

Yeah the exact same guy. He obviously had a plan to use Tebow's mobility in his Offense. He just made a mistake in thinking he could correct Tebow's awful passing mechanics. Now take a Mobile QB who is a much better passer like RG3 and let McDaniels create an offense around his skillsets along with the up tempo and versatile player packages he has used in New England. If you've got a good GM in place to get the players (which should be the Skins #1 priority) than McDaniels would be fine.

As of this morning...the only HC hire that would have me optimistic for the future is John Gruden. He has a reputation of working well with young, developing QBs. He is and offensive-minded coach and he carries with him a swagger and fire that this team sorely needs. However unlikely a hire Gruden is, he would be my pick...then again, it's Snyder's money not mine.

Bill O'Brien is the only guy who I can see dealing with this mess. It's a far cry from the scandal that rocked Penn St but we need someone who can get these guys focused, out of the media and create an atmosphere conducive to winning.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-notes/2013/10/31/5051994/seahawks-playcalling-darrell-bevell-predictable

Examining the Seahawks' struggling offense: Darrell Bevell's predictable playcalling, refusal to adjust to blame

Skins, I am curious what the point of posting that fan article was? I read the whole article and didn't glean anything meaningful from it other than a disgruntled fan with an axe to grind against Bevell after a bad game by the offense that the team still won.

I am sure we can find negative article for any candidate after a bad game. *shrugs*

I am not as quick to quit on Shanny as most here are, (some say he quit on us, i don't buy that at all) I think he is a good coach, i really do. 

I would focus on the defensive side. We put a good defense on the field consistently (i.e. seahawks) and we see a more productive offense.

Bevell would crap the bed here, if he had to try and win with this defense.

I still think the Shannys have chops. 

A few linemen, a few free agent corners, maybe a receiver. DEFINITELY a new D.Coordinator, DEFINITELY a new S.T. coach.

I like Mike & Kyle's chances next year with a few upgrades, better than the whole blow up and rebuild, "ooh lets get this guy, ooh lets get this guy!" thing. 

Whatever, Still gonna root for them! Hope we win next week!

I don't know if Sumlin has NFL coaching experience but I'm a fan of his offense. But I would prefer a HC that has NFL coaching experience because building an coaching staff around a college HC without NFL experience is tricky the Eagles pulled it off but they got lucky with Pat Shurmur as OC.

I'm with on McDaniels though. He's developed a QB with limited talent in Cassell. He's offenses have been diverse and dynamic.

And he's been groomed as a HC by Bellichick.

I keep hearing people mention GM Scott Pioli. Why?

Do you're own homework.

Isn't Josh McDaniels just a couple years removed from being a bad HC and fired from the Bronco's? Pass.

Yes and no. Bad HC? Not really. Bad GM? Yes. One of the better offensive minds in the NFL? Yes.

I only like one out of your batch and that's the QB coach who currently holds the QB coach position at Baylor

Then now I question Phillip Montgomery if you like him, lol.

Jay Gruden doesn't hold up to inspection.

I mean, he's basically an average OC with a famous last name. I mean, he's never had the success of even Kyle.

But I'd still take him over his brother, who would be Shanny all over again. 

Zimmer or Bill O'Brien, folks. Those are my guys. 

Bud Grant alone is 86 years old. Every guy you mentioned would have no interest coming back to coach and probably lost the fire/code of the warrior years ago

How do we know this - if they aren't even on the interview list?

We need someone that will command fear, respect, and awe with these punks imo.

Jay has developed Andy Dalton.

In this QB driven league developing a young QB is always a huge feather in the cap of any OC.

Andy Dalton (imho does not have more the average physical skillset) came from a spread offense and under Jay was able to make the transition to an NFL passing offense as a rookie* and improve each season.

58.1---3,398--20 TD-13 INT--80 rating

62.3---3,669--27 TD-16-INT--87

62-----3,419--25-TD-16-INT--87

Jay's offense has been middle of the road in points per game but he doesn't have a lot of talent outside AJ.

Archived