Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Jay Gruden:

220px-Jay_Gruden.jpg

As coach:

http://www.bengals.com/team/coaches/Gruden-Jay/7c47da98-6b51-4405-998b-2b706069c0b6

Jay Gruden is in his third season as Bengals offensive coordinator. His first two seasons have seen the Bengals claim a pair of playoff berths, with three Cincinnati offensive players making the Pro Bowl in each season.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis credits Gruden’s system with having helped Dalton enjoy success from the outset.

“We are much simpler in our scheme for the quarterback since Jay has come on board,” Lewis says. “We are not reinventing the wheel against every new defense we face. The quarterback has a lot of leeway in the things he can call, and Jay recognized that Andy was the type of player who could use those options effectively.”

Despite having only two seasons himself at the NFL coordinator level, Gruden is recognized across the NFL as one of the league’s most promising young offensive minds. Following last season, he earned interviews with four teams for vacant head coaching positions. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Gruden                                                                                                              

I think the problem with Jay Gruden is he was hired by Cinci in 2011 then after that year he signed a 3 year contract. Wouldn't that mean he's tied up through 2014?

Marty Schottenheimer, Bill Parcells, Joe Gibbs, George Seifert, Jerry Burns, Bud Grant.

Any of the above and I will be ecstatic.

You failed to mention my favorite... Jerry Glanville. 

If you hired Gruden, you'd be promoting him to HC. Any coordinator can get out if any contract if they're getting a promotion.

Your correct. I want Jon Gruden and for him to bring his brother on as OC. So when I looked him up on Wiki and saw he signed a three year deal I thought he can't leave for another OC job. 

His offense looks good to me. Being held back by Dalton and still pretty productive.

Pioli built most of this current Chiefs squad. He invested in the lines and brought in lots of talent.

I'll give you that one team. The others sucked balls. Although I don't know how much control he had of picking up or simply just picking players for those other teams. 

I would say Gruden vs Kyle is a push.

But for HC, I would rather see a coach that has coached multiple positions and has worked for some great HCs. That is why I like Bevell so much.

Bevell's been a QB Coach, WR Coach, Offensive Assistant, Offensive Coordinator. Plus he has worked for Holmgren and now Carrol. IMO, much better experience than Gruden.

Either way, they are a gamble.

I wouldn't want to touch Jon. Jay I could be talked into.

No more family. It's a disaster.

Jay doesn't strike me or look to me to be a hard arse. Jon yes, Jay... not so much. This team needs a coach who will come in and yell at the players to get the most out of them. 

I'll give you that one team. The others sucked balls. Although I don't know how much control he had of picking up or simply just picking players for those other teams.

Yeah. No way to know how much of a hand he had in the specific draft picks. But all I know is that he left behind a stacked Chiefs team, and helped build the patriots defenses that won superbowls where Tom Brady throwing for 5,000 yards has not been able to. Those defenses were great.

Jay doesn't strike me or look to me to be a hard arse. Jon yes, Jay... not so much. This team needs a coach who will come in and yell at the players to get the most out of them.

Check out the Bengals hard knocks. Jay isn't Coughlin or anything, but he's got a presence.

I would say Gruden vs Kyle is a push.But for HC, I would rather see a coach that has coached multiple positions and has worked for some great HCs. That is why I like Bevell so much.Bevell's been a QB Coach, WR Coach, Offensive Assistant, Offensive Coordinator. Plus he has worked for Holmgren and now Carrol. IMO, much better experience than Gruden.Either way, they are a gamble.

Agree with all of this. Perfect resume for a first-time HC, really.

As I said I am a fan of Jon Gruden, but ... if we are looking at what we have right now and "IF" RG3 is our franchise QB since we spent so much to get him.... one has to think about what made RG3 successful and how do we make him successful again? The only name I can think of is Art Briles. Just saying. He's not my first choice, but if the owner wants to salvage RG3 then bringing in a coach that RG3 had success with is the smartest idea. 

I probably would bring in a decent DC to help run things. Might even look at a fired HC or another OC at the end of his contracts to bring in to lend some guidance so Briles isn't just being thrown to the wolves. 

Jay Gruden.. No way..  His brother will never condone it..   Watching the game tonight, and how these teams are playing, all I can say is that the coach is the least of our problems..

I know what your trying to say but ... this coaching unit wanted smaller OL and zone blocking and cut blocking. We have crappy OL who can't do their job. One decent WR (unless Lance Lewis pans out ;) ), Coaching staff that made a bad decision on AHaynsworth and cost this team, HC that has stuck with a mediocre DC with a mediocre defensive scheme, 

Is there a way out of all this? yea, two way and one the fans won't like; either fire MS, or keep him and bring in Kubiak to help out the offense and I would do whatever it took to get Alex Gibbs her to work his magic with the OL now that we have $36 mill to spend. But for the latter..... DS and MS need to go get a cup of coffee and work it out. 

His offense looks good to me. Being held back by Dalton and still pretty productive.

Pioli built most of this current Chiefs squad. He invested in the lines and brought in lots of talent.

Held back by Dalton is just silly.  Dalton isn't the best qb specimen on the planet, but let's not act like he's ryan fitzpatrick.  Plus the Cinci line is clearly one of the tops in the league, along with having a generational talent at wr in AJ Green among several other good skill position players.  His offense looks okay this year, slightly above average, but below average his previous two years.  None of his offenses have been able to run the ball.  Again, how is this impressive enough to have his name in the hat for HC discussion, let alone all the fawning over him?

Held back by Dalton is just silly.  Dalton isn't the best qb specimen on the planet, but let's not act like he's ryan fitzpatrick.  Plus the Cinci line is clearly one of the tops in the league, along with having a generational talent at wr in AJ Green among several other good skill position players.  His offense looks okay this year, slightly above average, but below average his previous two years.  None of his offenses have been able to run the ball.  Again, how is this impressive enough to have his name in the hat for HC discussion, let alone all the fawning over him?

Who's fawning? All I asked was what was wrong with him as a possible candidate. I'm not the guy to talk to about fawning over him.

Why are you taking it to extremes? Dalton can hold back the offense without being Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's terrible throwing the deep ball, which is a shame in that offense with Green. And it puts a ceiling on an already effective offense. He's good enough everywhere else. But that doesn't invalidate what I said--ideally, you'd have a QB who can consistently make all the throws. I see a lot of Bengals games. Dalton is poor in that regard.

Bevell is an okay choice but the Seahawks have an amazing defense. Carroll himself was quoted saying that he copied our offense last year. In 2011 their offense sucked. In his days in Minnesota the offense was good at times but only because of AP and the one year with Favre.

Archived