Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I'm not enamored with any of the coaching candidates, I just hope we don't go after Briles.  

Honestly, I think we could do a lot worse than hiring a guy like Kubiak.  How weird would that be if Houston basically swapped staffs with us?  It's crazy but certainly within the realm of possibility.

I honestly don't think Mikes walking into another job anytime soon. 

Hail. 

I just don't think any of these potential HC candidates inspire much confidence. I'm bracing for another year of suck.

Sad to say, but our current coaching staff may be our best bet for next year. I'm not confident in them by any means, I just don't see us as having any good options at this point

My God...I've seen just about any suggestion under the sun & most people hate the choices others think are great.

What I surmise is that no matter who we hire, about 75% of the fans won't be happy. Chances are about 2/1 it will be a failure anyways. We all want a valid GM so bad we can't refrain from mentioning it in a thread about coaching candidates, WHEN THERE'S ANOTHER THREAD ABOUT GM CANDIDATES. Everyone has a GM candidate, but it's also the most difficult Front Office position to judge & be successful at. Most of the good ones were veritably unheard of outside of inner football circles, & it's the least transparent position for fans to evaluate pre-tenure.

GM's are a crapshoot which is why I hate discussing potential GM's. I mean...nobody can honestly tell me that they picked a successful GM before he was hired somewhere unless you had some sort of inside knowledge.

As far as coaches go...I'm getting tired of discussing this too, or much anything about this team going forward as nobody can agree, everyone's opinion sucks, & in all likelihood. ..nothing will change & we'll still be made to suffer.

About the only thing we can agree on is Shanahan has to go, & Snyder is meddlesome.

You know what I want more than anything right now? SOME CAPABLE SCOUTS. ..A BOATLOAD OF THEM!!! I'm sick of watching old faithful franchises, & the odd new one pop up, continue to scoop up mid-round talent & mid-low budget F/A's who become world beaters.

Nothing's gonna change with this franchise until we start learning how to properly evaluate talent & build a capable roster with athletes & depth & play-makers at multiple positions throughout the squad.

I understand a GM goes into all of that...but seriously...our scouting department has blown so hard for so long that I have no faith that anyone can come in here & make a difference so long as we keep bombing in the draft.

& of course having Draft picks to begin with goes a long way...but there are teams that have built success without multitudes of pick or F/A money.

Never said that the Bengals don't have a good OL or a good TE or a good rookie class and none of that cchanges the fact that Jay Gruden developed Andy Dalton.

Didn't undersell Dalton. Unless you think Dalton's physical skillset rivals Griffins?

You said, and I quote, "jay's offense has been middle of the pack in points, but they don't have much outside of aj." Now maybe I'm reading into it too far, but not having much outside of one player would typically mean they don't have talent elsewhere, which would completely contradict what you just said.

And yes, that is EXACTLY what underselling is. You can make a truthful statement and still undersell something. If I said "Vince young has an elite physical skillset" that would be overselling him as a qb, wouldn't you agree? Likewise when you point out a qbs weakness and use it as a scapegoat for average offenses, it would be underselling his actual contribution. And certainly chicago and houston have had top offenses with worse qbs.

Do you really like him as an oc or do you just like his last name? Be honest.

I just don't think any of these potential HC candidates inspire much confidence. I'm bracing for another year of suck.

Sad to say, but our current coaching staff may be our best bet for next year. I'm not confident in them by any means, I just don't see us as having any good options at this point

I think this is partly true, but I also see some jim schwartz lions in us. Both shanahan and he inherited awful, old rosters and have gone through the growing pains of building a completely new roster. As much hate as shanahan the gm gets, you can't deny the amount of young talent we now have compared to pre shanny.

You said, and I quote, "jay's offense has been middle of the pack in points, but they don't have much outside of aj." Now maybe I'm reading into it too far,

And yes, that is EXACTLY what underselling is. You can make a truthful statement and still undersell something. If I said "Vince young has an elite physical skillset" that would be overselling him as a qb, wouldn't you agree? Likewise when you point out a qbs weakness and use it as a scapegoat for average offenses, it would be underselling his actual contribution. And certainly chicago and houston have had top offenses with worse qbs.

Do you really like him as an oc or do you just like his last name? Be honest.

Yes you are reading too far into it. And I said 'much' outside of AJ I didn't say 'nothing' outside of AJ.

I thought most would agree that Dalton has average physical skillset *shrugs* Didn't realize I was offending your uncle or whatever....;)

If you said Vince Young has elite physical talent I would agree with you. Because speaking specifically about physical skill you would be right.

When it comes to football I'm always honest. I don't even like Jon Gruden, so it actually took me awhile to warm to Jay Gruden.

Jay guided Andy Dalton's development and like I said before any coach that knows how to develop a young QB is gonna rate highly with me.

I think this is partly true, but I also see some jim schwartz lions in us. Both shanahan and he inherited awful, old rosters and have gone through the growing pains of building a completely new roster. As much hate as shanahan the gm gets, you can't deny the amount of young talent we now have compared to pre shanny.

Aren't we the 2nd oldest team in the league? Next year I'm sure we'll be one of the youngest.

Yes you are reading too far into it. And I said 'much' outside of AJ I didn't say 'nothing' outside of AJ.

I thought most would agree that Dalton has average physical skillset *shrugs* Didn't realize I was offending your uncle or whatever....;)

If you said Vince Young has elite physical talent I would agree with you. Because speaking specifically about physical skill you would be right.

When it comes to football I'm always honest. I don't even like Jon Gruden, so it actually took me awhile to warm to Jay Gruden.

Jay guided Andy Dalton's development and like I said before any coach that knows how to develop a young QB is gonna rate highly with me.

So not having much translates to one of the top o lines, 2 decent tight ends and a stud change of pace back. Gotcha.

And I'm agreeing he has an average nfl qb physical skillset, but clearly he's above average on the mental aspects (the more important part). You're still using it to undersell him.

Want to see me undersell gruden? This is the first time in gruden's 16 year coaching career where he directed an nfl offense to better than a bottom 12 finish. Wow, now that I put it that way I'm really wondering how he still has a job!

I don't care about the head coach teaching a qb. You have oc's and qb coaches for that. Remember how the last qb guru turned hc looked around here? It wasn't pretty. Plus 3 years with one qb hardly makes this guy a qb whisperer, let alone a good hc candidate.

How about Bill Obrien from Penn St.? He has been around the game for a long time and worked under Belichick as o coordinator and assistant coach and under George O'Leary. Hes done great things in a bad circumstance at Penn St. and seems to really get along with the players.

I've seen several people throw this name out there.  Belichick's assistant coaches have been terrible as head coaches, not "some" or "most" but ALL of them.  

Romeo Crennel - Browns and Chiefs (28-55) - 1 winning season in 6

Al Groh - Jets (9-7) - 1 winning season and resigned to take a coach at UVA

Josh McDaniels - Broncos (11-17) - was 8-8 and then 3-9

Eric Mangini - Jets and Browns (33-47) - 2 winning seasons in 5

Nick Saban - Dolphins (15-17) - 1 winning season followed by a 6-10 season and will probably never leave NCAA coaching again

Jim Schwartz - Lions (29-47) - 1 winning season in 5 years (2 games from 9 wins this season)

In the least, that's a terrible record and a team decimated of talent (Josh McDaniels), at best it's disappointing (Jim Schwartz so far).  If you're going for medium ground, then we get a coach for a season or two, then he jumps ship to take a HC job in college, which is NEVER a good thing (unless you're Alabama).

I will say, if we hire O'Brien, I have no reason to be disappointed, since I will also have no expectations.  It's a better hire than the dumb *** Josh McDaniels.  At least he has some experience being the #1 guy, even if it's only in college.

Sorry, don't really care about your opinion on a HC. I was just responding to your post which is obvious to me was just to pick an argument not have an actual discussion.

-Cheers

Lol it's picking an argument to wonder why a coach is getting mentioned more than one would expect given his career, and getting a "he's had average offenses while having average to above average talent" as an answer.

If you want a guy who's coached up qbs then why not a greg roman or tom clements, two guys with MUCH more impressive resumes than gruden.

The next coach will be incredibly important for rg3's development, I just don't get the fascination with a coordinator with an average to below average offense and very little experience. In all honesty it sounds like zorn 2.0.

Not more then one would expect more then YOU expect. Jay Gruden had 3 HC interviews last year.

Use your eyes to read, I like him as HC because he has developed a young QB. And in a QB driven league QB development is paramount. And very few coaches in the NFL know how to coach the QB position.

You're like a child that wanders into a room in the middle of a conversation and starts making assumptions. Tom Clements is my number 1 choice and I already listed Greg Roman on my list. So what are you talking about? You have spent more time talking about Jay Gruden then I have the fascination is yours.

Either read more of the thread or ask questions before making assumptions so you don't come across as.....well......you

You want to add Rex Ryan to this circus? I mean how could that go wrong ....

He's already been the part of an arguably bigger circus since he took over in New York. Sure, he's brash and outspoken, but he's also a competitor who's had to eat **** sandwiches at quarterback basically since he started. Some how he's managed to keep a rag-tag squad competitive despite some of the worst GM decisions since Vinny. Rex Ryan has NOT had control of the personnel, so he's only played with the hand he's been dealt, and he's still managed to some how keep the team relevant for the most part.

Some of my choices probably won't be popular but...

HC: Either Lovie Smith, Ken Whisenhunt, Jim Caldwell, or Ray Horton in no particular order.

OC: Frank Reich, if it's either one of the last 3 listed for HC.

DC: Whoever they decide to bring in

Caldwell coached the Colts after Dungy (after working under him), had 2 good seasons then they collapsed the season Peyton was out. Moved on to Baltimore and won a Superbowl as their Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach.

Frank Reich, who also worked briefly under Dungy, has worked under Whisenhunt, under/alongside Caldwell, and alongside Horton. He started out as an offensive assistant and QB coach for the Colts, working with Peyton Manning. From there he moved to their WR coach and worked with our own Pierre Garcon. In 2012 he was the Cardinals WR coach, working with Larry Fitzgerald. In 2013 he followed Whisenhunt to San Diego and is their QB Coach, working with Philip Rivers.

Rex Ryan makes me want to vomit sometimes but there's no doubt he's a good defensive coach. I don't see why anybody wouldn't want him here. The question is would he be willing to come here? Also there's a chance he could be hired by somebody else as a head coach. You can say Sanchez was his fault but all things considered, he got his teams to play pretty well considering how awful their QBs were.

Archived