Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

http://www.footballnation.com/content/tom-clements-the-best-kept-secret-the-nfl/20557/

Rodgers: "I have an incredible quarterback coach. Tom Clements is a guy I pray I get to work with my entire career because he's an incredible teacher of the game, he understands how to coach quarterbacks. He played quarterback in the CFL for 13 years. Him and I just really have a good connection. He knows how to push my buttons and get the most out of me and he never lets me be complacent."

That's not all. 

Rodgers: "Tom understands the position and knows how to coach it." He added, "I think his best quality is his game-day style. I've been around different coaches and he is very calm on game day and very simple. Because he is so simple and calm, he doesn't get you rattled."

When Tom Clements was being interviewed for the Penn State coaching job, Rodgers had something to say about that.

Rodgers: “I don’t want to see him leave, but if you look at that situation it’s going to take a man with integrity to step in there and lead. Tom has a great pedigree as a player, as a coach, as a teacher, as human. He's a first-class individual."

Does anyone know the specific financial implications if Shanahan does not return? If he is fired, he will still get paid next year? I've never understood that- if I get fired I'm sure as hell not getting paid. What if he quits, will he get paid as well?

Coaches and management contracts are guaranteed unless you can prove that he is fired for cause, which the Redskins are researching, according to some sources. I'm not sure how this would come across to the rest of the NFL coaching community, so I think it may be best to give him his check along with his walking papers. Shanahan is owed 7 million.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/tom-clements-the-best-kept-secret-the-nfl/20557/

Rodgers: "I have an incredible quarterback coach. Tom Clements is a guy I pray I get to work with my entire career because he's an incredible teacher of the game, he understands how to coach quarterbacks. He played quarterback in the CFL for 13 years. Him and I just really have a good connection. He knows how to push my buttons and get the most out of me and he never lets me be complacent."

That's not all. 

Rodgers: "Tom understands the position and knows how to coach it." He added, "I think his best quality is his game-day style. I've been around different coaches and he is very calm on game day and very simple. Because he is so simple and calm, he doesn't get you rattled."

When Tom Clements was being interviewed for the Penn State coaching job, Rodgers had something to say about that.

Rodgers: “I don’t want to see him leave, but if you look at that situation it’s going to take a man with integrity to step in there and lead. Tom has a great pedigree as a player, as a coach, as a teacher, as human. He's a first-class individual."

Ding ding ding.

Great choice. 

That's not all. 

Just out of curiosity, who would actively want to come here to coach? I think once Shanahan is sent packing, we will hear some bad things towards the organization.

To win in the NFL you need some key building blocks.

You need a QB, you need to be able to protect your QB (LT), you need weapons to throw to (Key WR and TE) and you need a running game to keep balance and set up play action where most of your big chunk plays come (RB). We have all of those pieces in place here in Washington with young players who can be together for a long time. Any offensive minded coach would be excited at the opportunity there is here to really build something special on offense.

You also need to be able to play some defense though and there you need to be able to rush the passer (Kerrigan and Orakpo) and cover (Hall and Amerson). We need a lot more work on defense - maybe 5 good starters are needed IMO but the cupboard is not totally bare.

Special teams needs a total rebuild but thats the easiest part of a team to get right - relatively.

We are one year away from being a division champion - this is an attractive opportunity for the right guy who can come in and grab it by the scruff of the neck.

I don't have the time to go thru 18 pages of this thread, but I have always liked John Gruden as a head coach. Don't know if he would be a good fit, but I personally feel with Snyder as owner this franchise will NEVER be good.

I disagree with the Snyder part. I think he will eventually get us there. Of course, I am in the minority.

Jon Gruden would be the worst hire this franchise could make right now. First he would command crap loads of money. Second, he would want full control of personnel just like the guy who is here right now. Third, he loves veteran players. This team will get real old this off season.

On top of that, I think his tough guy persona is a load of crap. I bet you could go up and knock that dude right in the nose and he would he wouldn't do a damn thing. I don't believe his schtick one bit.

Supposedly, he is staying at ESPN. If I hear we are slightly interested in him, I am going to go ballistic!!!!!

With that said, I wouldn't mind hanging out with the guy, he is probably a blast.

RG3, Trent Williams, Alfred Morris, Pierre Garcon, Jordan Reed, Darrell Young is a fantastic starting point on offense for a new coach.

If we switch back to a 4-3, Orakpo and Kerrigan as DEs is damn nice.

QB is a huge piece of the puzzle. Texans don't really have that piece, we do. This team doesn't need a full rebuild like other teams do.

Plus, about 25 million in free agent Monopoly money to help shape the team a new coach wants immediately. No one else can offer that.

People are too concerned with the fact that "oh nobody will want to come here".

Sorry, but that's bs.  There are only 32 of these opportunities in the whole world.  The Redskins will pay well, and if you're a young coach without a lot of clout (as seems to be the ES preference - as opposed to established/retreads) you would have to consider the team very very carefully.

People always lose their heads and their perspective when it comes to this...what's that line "things always end badly or else they wouldn't end?"   Plenty of headcoaches take parting shots on their way out, organizations move on.

Now you just have to make the right choice as a follow up...and that has been tricky...

I like Tom Clements

In our game vs Green Bay, he adjusted to early pressure on Rodgers. Implemented quick passes.

And then didn't adjust when he did not need to (Kyle's biggest problem) and stuck to the short passing game since Haslet never adjusted.

And shredded us.

Two flaws of Kyle's, Clements displayed no such problems with such simple offensive concepts. Passed with flying colors. The most basic of adjustments.

So simple, that even I would try them. Yes, Kyle is failing "if its not broke, do you fix it?" test.

I want an OC that does not out think himself.

yeah, really ,,, K.I.S.S

Just seems that our offense does not set it self up to succeed. 

Passes on 3rd and very short (no draws),  deep passes on 2nd and long (no screens), never taking deep shots on first down, never moving the pocket around. 

When do we EVER run a stop and go?

When do we EVER do shovel passes? 

How about when we tried using Royster at FB and failed twice on short yardage? 

Do you guys ever remember seeing a TE screen? Something like what Celek did to us a few weeks back. 

The only time we go deep is when we run that damn fake reverse thing ... or when robert is in trouble. 

Do we ever pass out of three TE sets? 

Clements looks good on paper, only thing that makes me pause reading about him is that apparently he is a very quiet guy.  Granted being a motivator isn't the be all and end all, but wonder if his personality is forceful enough to be the lead guy. 

I think that is one of those thing we don't have a vantage point on. But, HC come in all shapes and sizes from Bill Parcells to Bill Walsh, from Jimmie Johnson to Tony Dungy.

And, I always assume that a successful QB has force of personality even if it's quiet. (little known fact Dungy was a college QB not DB)

IMO, Darrell Bevell has the best resume out of all the potential first time head coaches and is my #1 choice.  I've watched some of his press conferences in Seattle.  He doesn't look like a control freak who will demand full control of the franchise like old school retreads want.  He seems like he has a balanced personality that will earn the respect of players without ruling out of fear or being an a-hole.  He seems more of a new school coach.  He has worked well with Russell Wilson and I think that RG3 would benefit greatly from that.

Jay Gruden is interesting to me, especially if we don't or can't land Bevell.  I do have concerns that the name "Gruden" inflates his value.  I'm also not sure how much his arena football coaching experience translates to the NFL.  That said, if he ends up being hired, I won't be disappointed, especially if Bevell is unavailable. 

I like Tom Clements

In our game vs Green Bay, he adjusted to early pressure on Rodgers. Implemented quick passes.

And then didn't adjust when he did not need to (Kyle's biggest problem) and stuck to the short passing game since Haslet never adjusted.

And shredded us.

Two flaws of Kyle's, Clements displayed no such problems with such simple offensive concepts. Passed with flying colors. The most basic of adjustments.

So simple, that even I would try them. Yes, Kyle is failing "if its not broke, do you fix it?" test.

Are you talking Clements for OC or head coach ???

If head coach, who do you like for OC ??

I think that is one of those thing we don't have a vantage point on. But, HC come in all shapes and sizes from Bill Parcells to Bill Walsh, from Jimmie Johnson to Tony Dungy.

And, I always assume that a successful QB has force of personality even if it's quiet. (little known fact Dungy was a college QB not DB)

True and as someone else posted here, we have a case in point as for how he adjusts in game.  When we were putting on the heat on Rodgers, they adjusted the game plan, with three step drops, quick hitches, etc.  

You are the resident expert on studying Kyle. 5 critques he's gotten recently:  

1. Cooley said he doesn't really stick with what works and instead seems determined to run through every play prepared for the game.  2.  Cooley said that the timing and routes of play action has gotten ridciolously predictble

3.  Cooley said -- these 2 Wrs sets are predictible and easy to suffucate

4.  Cosell said -- the offense is super easy to game plan for

5.  Doc Walker -- Kyle doesn't have a good feel for the game while the game is in progress

Agree, disagree? 

Archived