Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

The more I study Jay Gruden, the more I'm convinced he is an average OC with a great last name.

Hey, who knows? Maybe he is a leader of men and could run a team well. It's certainly possible.

But on paper? He's a lesser version of Kyle.

As much as the Briles stuff scares me, I'd rather go all in with him and the best DC we could get than hire Jay G at this point.

The more I study Jay Gruden, the more I'm convinced he is an average OC with a great last name.

I don't think there is any tried and true way to figure this out. On paper, Mike Tomlin was less than nothing when the Steelers hired him. One year as a defensive coordinator. Mike McCarthy had the worst offense in football during his last year with San Francisco.

I kind of look at mentors and situations. Gruden's mentors are people who know about dealing with bizarre ownership situations. I think every coach comes in here thinking, "Oh...how bad can it be?" and is then blown away. When Gruden calls Marvin Lewis or his brother and says, "You won't believe this," they will say, "Oh, yes, I can."

That KC team was loaded with talent even though they did make a few mistakes. Most of their problems during Pioli's time were from HC and QB issues imo. 

And the fact that Pioli has the personality of an iguana. Pioli is way way way too much of a thin-skinned, prick to work under this owner in this media market. He needs to go someplace like San Diego or Jacksonville or Tampa where no one (including the owner) cares.

You can't have a strong personality or a need for the spotlight and survive here.

And I like Rob Ryan more than Lovie Smith if you're going the defensive HC route.  Lovie couldn't find an OC to work with him. It was just a mess up there.

Anyway, won't happen. But I think it would be very interesting.

I actually don't despise that idea. 

I just don't get the impression that Rob wants to be a head coach. Rex really really really wanted the gig. Rob seems happy to run a defense for three years and move onto the next job.

I also don't hate the idea of bringing in Rex in as a DC if he gets fired in New York. In all honesty, I wouldn't hate the idea of Rex as head coach here. His players almost always love him and this place has been devoid of joy for a while. 

The big problem with Rex or Rob as DC is that they might eat a young head coach alive. I have a hard time seeing Rex working under Jay Gruden. "I was coaching in the AFC Championship Game when you were running the Florida Tuskers, boy!"

Here's an idea for GM that hasn't been tossed around a whole lot:

Morocco Brown.

Instead of bringing someone outside the organization in, why not give Brown a shot at GM? It has been reported that he want's a shot at the title, so to speak. He is well regarded around the league (as I have read). He has been through the toughest of the tough times--I mean he worked under Vinny--it doesn't get worse than that. Keep Allen as the contracts/cap guy--but I think Brown deserves a shot to be GM. Maybe reward some loyalty for a change.

I wouldn't hate to see Tom Cable considered, though I doubt he would be.

He did some good things in Oakland when he was there. They were a bad team when he got there with JC as QB, I believe...yet he got them to .500 pretty quickly. They're showing now that they are still a bad team.

I don't care for anyone with "Ryan" in their name to be employed here.

Not counting the season where Kiffen was fired Cable was 13-19 with the talent that the Raiders had he did an ok job. Just think JaMarcus Russell was his starting QB in both 2009 and 2010

Exactly. That's the same amount of wins Shanahan has with RG3 (well, Cousins has been in and out). But regardless, that could be the exact record Shanahan has in the past two years if we lose two more. I'd say we have much better talent than the Raiders. Garcon, Morris, RG3/Cousins...even on D, we have Kerrigan and Orakpo...one of the better rushing LB tandems in the NFL. Our team needs a lot of work, but I don't think there's much doubt we have better talent than the Raiders had then.

I want the OC from Seattle.  I would love to see the Skins to run the same offense as Seattle with RG3 being a more athletic Russell Wilson.

From what I saw this year, RG3 is a more brittle and less athletic (cause athletic counts strength and elusiveness as well as just straight line speed) version of Russell Wilson.

I don't think there is any tried and true way to figure this out. On paper, Mike Tomlin was less than nothing when the Steelers hired him. One year as a defensive coordinator. Mike McCarthy had the worst offense in football during his last year with San Francisco.

McCarthy had worked with the Packers before as a QB coach so they knew about him. Tomlin had 6 years of NFL coaching experience, one of which as a defensive coordinator. His defense that year was ranked 6th in the league.

From what I saw this year, RG3 is a more brittle and less athletic (cause athletic counts strength and elusiveness as well as just straight line speed) version of Russell Wilson.

Troll much? Russell Wilson hasn't been hit much. We shall see after he takes some shots (inevitably he will get hit). I think athleticism is a push.

For a minute I considered wanting Shanny to come back if he fired the entire coaching staff....but then I came to my senses and absolutely want him out..for many reasons.

Here's my updated list of candidates in no particular order...

1) David Shaw

2) Jon Gruden

3) Bill O'brien

4) Lovie Smith

5) Mike Zimmer

6) Pep Hamilton

7) Charlie Strong (Louisville head coach)

8) Ken Whisenhunt

9) Greg Roman

10) Pete Carmichael

just heard yesterday that schwartz is getting the ax if detroit doesnt make the playoffs.  hes got a great defensive mindset, hes young and fiery, and i think he assembled a pretty kickass roster in detroit.  he'd definitely be someone to keep an eye on.

He's not the GM though is he so the roster isn't credited to him. Also, that team lacks discipline and heart under Schwartz imo something I wouldn't want from the new coach. 

He's not the GM though is he so the roster isn't credited to him. Also, that team lacks discipline and heart under Schwartz imo something I wouldn't want from the new coach. 

not sure i agree with that, they just have some character issue guys.

which frankly i wouldnt mind having here.  id like some badasses playing for this team.  nothing wrong with a little nasty in a player.  its exactly what we loved about sean taylor that we havent had since his passing.

I just watched an interview on NFL network with Marty Schottenheimer and I am pretty convinced after hearing him talk a little bit about working for Dan Snyder there isn't anyone that is going to win here. I heard Marty interviewed in the past and he seemed to let on that it was ok working for Snyder but today he slaughtered him with things like "he has to many people outside the organization in is ear", "I worked eight years for the Redskins one season" and it was very "intereststing" working for Snyder. He also through out there what a **** AJ Smith is also. I just worry that no matter who is brought in, this franchise is doomed with it's current ownership and that isn't going to change in my lifetime. 

I just watched an interview on NFL network with Marty Schottenheimer and I am pretty convinced after hearing him talk a little bit about working for Dan Snyder there isn't anyone that is going to win here. I heard Marty interviewed in the past and he seemed to let on that it was ok working for Snyder but today he slaughtered him with things like "he has to many people outside the organization in is ear", "I worked eight years for the Redskins one season" and it was very "intereststing" working for Snyder. He also through out there what a **** AJ Smith is also. I just worry that no matter who is brought in, this franchise is doomed with it's current ownership and that isn't going to change in my lifetime.

There are no winners in Martyball.

McCarthy had worked with the Packers before as a QB coach so they knew about him. Tomlin had 6 years of NFL coaching experience, one of which as a defensive coordinator. His defense that year was ranked 6th in the league.

Right. But neither of them stood out as "the hot coordinator."

I dunno. It seems like the league has spent the last 12 years hiring people from Bill Belichick's staff and NONE of them work out. People spent the prior ten years, stealing from Jimmy Johnson to little success. For the next ten years, everyone is going to be hiring from the Harbaughs. 

I just think that's somewhat lazy.

That's why I look at places like Cincy or maybe Carolina. Some places that have had some success in less than ideal circumstances.

In the college ranks, I would be more interested in grabbing someone like Pat Narduzzi as defensive coordinator than trying to get David Shaw or Art Briles as head coach.

Archived