Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

His post and your response are exactly why leaks are so damaging. The leaks don't even have to be true. Once the report is out there the damage is done. Even after people read the reports are false its already in their head and if they're so inclined they're still gonna believe the false leak because its already what they thought. And sometimes people don't even know the leaks are false. Once someone yells fire and people start running who's gonna go run against the grain and check if there'a actually a fire?

Mike Jones from the Washington Post was on the air today, and his opinion was yeah these leaks are coming from Shanny and what Shanny is trying to do is simple:

1.  He is going to have three double digit losses in 4 seasons here

2.  It damages any hope to get in the hall of fame

3.  It damages any hope to get another head coaching job

4.  I'd add it clearly hurts Kyle too.

The solution:

1. He needs a its not my fault excuse so when he interviews for another job he's got a story to defend himself

2.  RG3 is the easy scapegoat -- you try to damage the perception of him as much as possible in the media becuase you want to make him look like the ultimate headcase to explain why the team stunk so bad

3.  The radio guys covering the interview said before (and I agree) Shanny also picks on 

Danny becuase people are inclined to believe negative things about him. 

1. He needs a its not my fault excuse so when he interviews for another job he's got a story to defend himself

2.  RG3 is the easy scapegoat -- you try to damage the perception of him as much as possible in the media becuase you want to make him look like the ultimate headcase to explain why the team stunk so bad

3.  The radio guys covering the interview said before (and I agree) Shanny also picks on 

An error occurred

I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day.

The fans and some media members are playing checkers Mike is playing chess.

But although Mike may win the crowd, I doubt another GM is gonna fall for it.

His post and your response are exactly why leaks are so damaging. The leaks don't even have to be true. Once the report is out there the damage is done. Even after people read the reports are false its already in their head and if they're so inclined they're still gonna believe the false leak because its already what they thought. And sometimes people don't even know the leaks are false. Once someone yells fire and people start running who's gonna go run against the grain and check if there'a actually a fire?

Reminds me of the James Bond movie, "Tomorrow Never Dies". In this movie, a media mogul would actually create news because what is published must be true, regardless.

Rule of thumb, believe only half of what is published, because the whole story is not known.

An error occurred

I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day.

The fans and some media members are playing checkers Mike is playing chess.

But although Mike may win the crowd, I doubt another GM is gonna fall for it.

I completely agree.  I think the barometer is really going to be what happens to Mike and Kyle once they are booted from here.  If Mike gets a HC gig next year, then I think it means that some FOs feel like this mess is on Snyder.  If Mike doesn't even get a sniff, well...I just think other front offices are going to be able to find out what they need to know one way or another.

Reminds me of the James Bond movie, "Tomorrow Never Dies". In this movie, a media mogul would actually create news because what is published must be true, regardless.

Rule of thumb, believe only half of what is published, because the whole story is not known.

I remember the movie but can't think of the dude's name...that would be my new name for Shanahan.

There was a really thought provoking movie with Gweneth Paltrow which came out in the late 90's called Sliding Doors.  Complete chick flick, (my GF in college made me watch it), but it had an interesting premise: A woman's life if she caught a subway train vs. if she did not catch the train.  I think if she caught the train, she got home early and found her fiance in bed with somebody else, and if she missed it, she didn't, and I don't remember anything else about the movie.

However, the 'Skins "sliding door" moment, and we'll never see the other half of the movie, is "what would have happened if Mike had pulled Robert in the Seattle game, and prevented an ACL injury?"

I think that Robert would have been seriously ticked, and that might have been as damaging to the relationship. It's odd, but I'm not sure Shanahan could have won in that situation. Robert was either going to blame him for pulling him out, or blame him for leaving him in. 

But if you play that movie forward a bit, I think that Robert gets over the irritation of being benched in the playoffs, and has a relatively healthy off-season. And with that off-season, and no rehab, I can't possibly see how he could have played anywhere near as badly as he did this year. 

And at the crux of this year, and all the leaks, and all the controversy, is the QB. If Robert played well this year, the defense stinking wouldn't have mattered, and the ST debacle would have been minimized. The defense stunk last year. It didn't really matter too much. 

And the team would have won more games, we wouldn't have been having all the leaks, and all that kind of stuff.  I don't know if the team would have made the playoffs or not. I'm thinking we'd be around 8-8. But, Kirk wouldn't be playing right now, and we'd be going into the off-season thinking about the draft, the holes to fill, and the $36M of cap room. 

But everything has unraveled since that knee injury.  Griffin acting like a petulant child in the off-season, the damaged relationships, lack of trust, and just general bad atmosphere.  It all stems from not playing well and not winning.  "Winning is the best deoderant." None of this would be happening if the team was winning.  Last year, Griffin played spectacularly, and was able to atone for sins on the OL, and partially cover a very bad defense.  This year, he's been playing poorly most of the year, which couldn't cover up the worst ST in the history of the sport, and a defense that is just plain bad. 

It'e pretty amazing when you think about it.  1 decision.  And the whole thing has fallen apart, and the divorce is very ugly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My top coaching candidates, after some consideration:

1. Rob Ryan. Not sure he wants to be a HC. But if he does, I'd bring him in here in a heartbeat. His players love him, he'd fix the defense, and I'm pretty sure that he could get a good OC to work with him.  This will never happen.  Ever. But, I think it would be an interesting idea. 

2. Ken W. He's done wonders with a lot of QBs, and he managed to win, at least for a while, in Arizona.  

3. Carmichael. Though I think you have to do a ton of homework on him, if he's who we think he is, then having somebody who's off of the Bill Parcells coaching tree and worked with Drew Brees and Sean Payton, could do wonders for Robert. 

As an aside, if Rex gets canned in NY, I'd try very very hard to get him here as DC. Unless his brother is the HC. Which is my desire, but never going to happen. I'd try and hire a HC first (I don't like the idea of hiring a coordinator and then a HC, a la Vinny hiring Blatche and Zorn as coordinators, then looking for the HC. Not find one, and then promoting Zorn), then fly Redskins 1 up to NJ with suitcases of cash and just keep handing them over until he gets on the plane.  Again, the defense would get fixed. Period.

Mike Jones from the Washington Post was on the air today, and his opinion was yeah these leaks are coming from Shanny and what Shanny is trying to do is simple:

1.  He is going to have three double digit losses in 4 seasons here

2.  It damages any hope to get in the hall of fame

3.  It damages any hope to get another head coaching job

4.  I'd add it clearly hurts Kyle too.

The solution:

See, I disagree on Shanny having trouble getting a job after this.  When you have 2 super bowl wins you can just kind of flash the rings at most owners.  I have a hard time believing the jets, especially, would turn down Shanahan. 

I don't think he'd have a hard time getting a job and these recent shenanigans are, if anything, more damaging to his future prospects than a quiet losing season.  I think people really want some evil mastermind shanahitler, but if you step back these leaks don't really improve his image.

I am going to go on record as saying that Mike Shanahan is not the problem. I think RG3 is the problem. Not a popular answer, but I think he has become a diva this year and has carried himself in an arrogant manner. How come none of the players are coming to RG3s' defense? Why aren't the players standing up or an unnamed source saying that these rumors about him are not true? Santana went on the radio and blasted Robert for not taking the blame for his mistakes. It's awfully easy to blame Mike Shanahan because everyone put all of their faith in this kid. Mike Shanahan has won two more Superbowls than Robert Griffin III, maybe hek nows what he is talking about. Just sayin... 

24 WINS- 38 LOSSES

Soon to be 24-40

Just sayin..........

I am going to go on record as saying that Mike Shanahan is not the problem. I think RG3 is the problem. Not a popular answer, but I think he has become a diva this year and has carried himself in an arrogant manner. How come none of the players are coming to RG3s' defense? Why aren't the players standing up or an unnamed source saying that these rumors about him are not true? Santana went on the radio and blasted Robert for not taking the blame for his mistakes. It's awfully easy to blame Mike Shanahan because everyone put all of their faith in this kid. Mike Shanahan has won two more Superbowls than Robert Griffin III, maybe hek nows what he is talking about. Just sayin... 

Uhh, players have been coming to his defense, where have you been? Santana Moss, Trent Williams, coaches and players from Baylor, etc. They've said the whole team is bad but media just focuses on RG3, that his dad has only been around a couple times and doesn't interfere, that Snyder is never around and isn't coddling RG3, the people at Baylor said this media leak stuff is complete nonsense. 

RG3 isn't responsible for the always terrible defense and special teams.

It's awfully easy to blame Shanahan because he has had full control of the team and produced a turd sandwich. His teams before RG3 were awful, and the team with Cousins just lost to a terrible Atlanta team and now has the worst record. Shanahan is the one to blame.

RG3 isn't the diva. Actually, Mike Shanahan is the diva. Has to have full control and have all eyes on him. Hires yes men assistant coaches that won't challenge or criticize his son, leaks false information about Snyder, Rg3, and Rg2 to the media to deflect blame, benches RG3 to try and goad Snyder into firing him to further deflect blame and try and collect $7 million he hasn't earned. 

RG3 even as inactive was cheering on the team and offering advice to Cousins during ATL game. He gives his all for the team. He has a very humble upbringing. He's no diva, that's just a BS perception the media is trying to sell just like they did with Cam Newton last season. 

I didn't see this posted anywhere but for those interested:

From Pro Football Talk:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/18/nfl-panel-recommends-coaching-candidates/

I find it interesting that one of the names they endorse is Sean McVay, our TEs coach.

A Bruce Allen hire that Shanny drug his feet on promoting. 

Altogether about a dozen coaches have been discussed on here for the next Redskins HC job, but how many of those coaches if asked would prefer Cousins than RG3 at QB. And if we interview a coach for the job and we are all excited about the possibility of getting him then he tells GM or Snyder that he wants Cousins to be his starting QB and Snyder doesn't give him the job because he wants RG3 what will everybody on here think about that?

From Pro Football Talk:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/18/nfl-panel-recommends-coaching-candidates/

I find it interesting that one of the names they endorse is Sean McVay, our TEs coach.

I think it's for his name more than anything else.  A guy who has 3 years as a TE coach and only 2 other years as an offensive assistant is a good HC candidate?  Ok.  Sure, his dad was GM for the San Fran dynasty from 80-96, but are you going to hire his 82 year old dad (who I'm not sure is even still alive) to run the FO here?  It just seems very odd, though certainly our tight ends have played well.

Altogether about a dozen coaches have been discussed on here for the next Redskins HC job, but how many of those coaches if asked would prefer Cousins than RG3 at QB. And if we interview a coach for the job and we are all excited about the possibility of getting him then he tells GM or Snyder that he wants Cousins to be his starting QB and Snyder doesn't give him the job because he wants RG3 what will everybody on here think about that?

RG3 is our franchise qb and we live and die by him.  It is what it is.  If he doesn't pan out then we draft another qb in 3 or 4 years.  We gave up far too much to consider benching RG3 in the next few years.  It's not like it's impossible to win with how he played this year, the biggest thing is to not regress below this point.

See, I disagree on Shanny having trouble getting a job after this.  When you have 2 super bowl wins you can just kind of flash the rings at most owners.  I have a hard time believing the jets, especially, would turn down Shanahan. 

I don't think he'd have a hard time getting a job and these recent shenanigans are, if anything, more damaging to his future prospects than a quiet losing season.  I think people really want some evil mastermind shanahitler, but if you step back these leaks don't really improve his image.

I hear you, you might be right, but here is why I think not: 

1 playoff win in the last 14 years, 5 of his last 6 seasons have been losing ones, his defenses have stunk for years.   What's Shanny's spin, the 7th year is the charm?  Other coaches can turn around franchises in 1-3 years, but hire me, I can promise you in advance your team will have years of struggle but stay patient becuase in 5 years you might have a winner. 

Who does he scapegoat for his perennial horrible defenses?    He can't blame everything on Danny, RG3, and RG2 although he is sure trying to do so.  I'd figure at some point GM's would say look 1998 is a long long time ago.   And all these dramas with the Redskins, the common denominator with every one of them is Shanny himself, maybe he actually has something to do with them?

Actually in all seriousness, Mike Shanahan am sure can get a job in 2 seconds as an offensive coodinator.  Though I wonder if he'd get a head coaching job.  His horrific record on defense I'd assume would scare the heck out of some, heck it ultimately even scared away his best friend who had to fire him. In my opinion, the criticism Shanny took from Denver which he is a one trick pony -- he gets offense but is bad with much of everything else, has shown to be true here.  

Having said that, I think a good comparison to Shanny is Norv.  Norv did get other jobs but his luck ultimately did run out. 

NFL.com - Schottenheimer: No NFL coach better than Shanahan - Bubba9497's Redskins Breaking News - Extremeskins

"I've said it for years and been on record for years," Schottenheimer began. "There's not a better coach in the National Football League than Mike Shanahan."

Even now, with Shanahan 14 years clear of his last Super Bowl victory? "I still believe that. Absolutely," Schottenheimer said. "I'm not going to change that, for all the years I've competed against him. That doesn't change on the basis of his current situation and this (RGIII) incident alone. I'm a big Mike Shanahan fan."

Schottenheimer believes Shanahan will land on his feet if his run with theRedskins soon ends, as many have predicted. "If it doesn't work, he'll get another job," he said. "And he'll do well, too.

From Pro Football Talk:

Ummmmm..... No.

Sean McVay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (age.... 27)

Coaching career

McVay began his coaching career as an offensive assistant with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2008. The following year, he was the wide receivers/quality control coach for the Florida Tuskers of the United Football League.

It's at the point where there don't even have to be leaks for there to be stories.  People have slurped up every story as either an actual leak or as an intentionally planted false leak depending on whether or not the story fits their purpose.  That is the truly amusing part of this all.  Anyone anywhere can claim to have access to someone and put a story out and nobody questions it...at all

I hear you, you might be right, but here is why I think not: 

1 playoff win in the last 14 years, 5 of his last 6 seasons have been losing ones, his defenses have stunk for years.   What's Shanny's spin, the 7th year is the charm?  Other coaches can turn around franchises in 1-3 years, but hire me, I can promise you in advance your team will have years of struggle but stay patient becuase in 5 years you might have a winner. 

Who does he scapegoat for his perennial horrible defenses?    He can't blame everything on Danny, RG3, and RG2 although he is sure trying to do so.  I'd figure at some point GM's would say look 1998 is a long long time ago.   And all these dramas with the Redskins, the common denominator with every one of them is Shanny himself, maybe he actually has something to do with them?

Actually in all seriousness, Mike Shanahan am sure can get a job in 2 seconds as an offensive coodinator.  Though I wonder if he'd get a head coaching job.  His horrific record on defense I'd assume would scare the heck out of some, heck it ultimately even scared away his best friend who had to fire him. In my opinion, the criticism Shanny took from Denver which he is a one trick pony -- he gets offense but is bad with much of everything else, has shown to be true here.  

Having said that, I think a good comparison to Shanny is Norv.  Norv did get other jobs but his luck ultimately did run out. 

Turning around a franchise that quickly is usually the result of the previous GM being competent.  There's a reason Oakland is a cesspool and will remain as such for quite some time, and that is because they are so talent poor that any new regime would take years to build a good team, even with excellent drafting year after year.  We were in the same situation, as were the Detroit Lions, as were the Rams.  Likewise, the Rams, the Lions and we are slowly making our way out of that cesspool.  I don't think 5 years is an overestimate for the amount of time it takes to turn around a bottom 3 nfl roster to a consistent competitor.

Give Shanny the Atlanta or Houston jobs and you'd likely see a one year turnaround miracle!  I really hate that bit of overhyping, but that is the common misconception that the media doles out.  Could you imagine Atlanta with a decent run game btw?  Scary.

Shanny wouldn't have to make that 5 year concession at other jobs (excluding the raiders and perhaps jaguars, of course); he had to make it here because it was a realistic expectation for the amount of roster he needed to replace.

Our Head Coach is already on the team:

The NFL has assembled a panel of former coaches and general managers who will recommend head-coaching candidates to teams with a vacancy. ...Bill Polian, Tony Dungy, Ron Wolf, and John Madden are among the members of the panel.

Non-minority NFL assistant coaches identified by the panel as good head-coaching candidates include Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, New Orleans offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael, Cincinnati offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, Miami defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle, Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, Kansas City defensive coordinator Bob Sutton and Washington tight ends coach Sean McVay.

Archived