Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I do like your top 2 choices though. I have a long list of candidates and I guess my top guys are Tom Clements and Pete Carmichael Jr. but I like all the coaches on my list.

I really don't keep up with college football anymore, so please forgive my ignorance. What do Tom Clements and Pete Carmichael potently bring to the Redskins if hired?

Are we talking spread offense with these guys?

Not loaded questions, I'm just looking for any information that will speed up my learning curve with these guys.

Hail

I really don't keep up with college football anymore, so please forgive my ignorance. What do Tom Clements and Pete Carmichael potently bring to the Redskins if hired?

There not college guys, there current NFL offensive coordinators. And what they would/could bring to the Redskins I can't fit in one post. But there is thread on a similar topic: http://es.redskins.com/topic/374998-one-fans-look-to-the-futurerobert-griffin/?p=9664169

Are we talking spread offense with these guys?

Somewhat. Tom Clements would prolly be considered more spread then Carmichael although he spreads it out too.

I'm just looking for any information that will speed up my learning curve with these guys.

an earlier post on Tom Clements:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/?p=9661255

Hubbs post:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/?p=9665229

Pete Carmichael:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/?p=9661355

I wouldn't mind a coach that values up tempo play/practice. I really like the idea of essentially doubling the practice reps. It gives young guys (and FAs) a chance to acclimate to the system faster and most importantly, it allows them to run plays over and over and therefor seems to focus on improving execution. The number one problem with the team IMO (at least on the field) this year is/was execution.

Of course there's the added benefit that Griffin and the offense seemed to be at its best when running the up tempo offense.

There not college guys, there current NFL offensive coordinators. And what they would/could bring to the Redskins I can't fit in one post. But there is thread on a similar topic: http://es.redskins.com/topic/374998-one-fans-look-to-the-futurerobert-griffin/?p=9664169

Somewhat. Tom Clements would prolly be considered more spread then Carmichael although he spreads it out too.

an earlier post on Tom Clements:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/?p=9661255

Hubbs post:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/?p=9665229

Pete Carmichael:

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/?p=9661355

Thank you DG. People like you keep me coming around ES :) , If you start getting hate mail you will know why. lol

Hail

This isn't true Greenie..Word from Briles camp is that he would be interested in the NFL if it came calling. The author of Art Briles book (Nick Eatman) was on DC radio Friday morning and reiterated that Art is always interested in advancing his career, and he could see him going to the NFL. I've spoke with a few people with strong ties to Baylor that feel the NFL is a possibility at some pointThat being said I'm not sure he comes to Washington, but the feeling is he will be talked about for a few openings around the league.  

David Smoak was on this week and basically said that opposite that Briles loves Baylor and loves the state of Texas and he couldn't see Briles leaving for the NFL. Made Briles sound like a true old school Texas, thru and thru (which makes me wonder why he wouldn't be interested in the Longhorns job). Called him a "Good ole Texas guy...(Smoak) doesn't think will ever leave the state of Texas". Said that he talked to Briles and gets the feeling that "that (NFL) isn't something on his(Briles) radar"

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=425&f=2228253

I'm sure Briles will be talked about, I question whether the interest will be mutual is all I'm saying. I think Briles can coach his tail off and available or not to coach in the NFL; I think he would be a bad fit here.

Ok, after checking out the info: Clement's seems like a very good choice hard to argue against what he has been apart of.

Carmichael: I would probably like that pick a lot more if he had never been with Seahags. Seems too vanilla for my liking though.

I still have at #1 Art Briles as my favorite pick for HC, it's too bad the media spin/leaks has already suggested that the move would only be because of RG2 and RG3. Which has had strong evidence of being proven false. LavarLeap has added some good info on that pick.

#2 Clements

#3 O'Brien

#4 Anyone other than Shanny

Hail

I think Briles can coach his tail off and available or not to coach in the NFL; I think he would be a bad fit here.

A bad fit because of the media leaks, and the associated BS that it would probably start? Or is there something else that has you leaning that way?

Hail

You lost me...Seahags? Vanilla? Don't understand.

I confused myself, sorry was meaning Bevell instead of Carmichael. Feel like the Seahawks offense is missing something I can't put my finger on it yet.

A bad fit because of the media leaks, and the associated BS that it would probably start? Or is there something else that has you leaning that way?

Hail

I confused myself, sorry was meaning Bevell instead of Carmichael. Feel like the Seahawks offense is missing something I can't put my finger on it yet.

If Briles was hired it would create/further the perception that Griffin is a diva/coach killer with Mike Shanahan's blood on his hands, that Dan Snyder is a meddlesome owner. It could create an instant obstacle/stigma that Briles would have to overcome from day 1. There would be no wiggle room for growth. If Briles comes here he loses the benefit of the doubt that every other coach would have. The media and lemming fans would be on him as fraud or Griffin/Dan's stooge the second there is adversity.

What do you think of Carmichael?

RE:Bevell

Bevell is one of the OC that I like as a HC candidate. He's a long time OC from a WCO offense so there is some scheme continuity.. He has a QB with a similar skillset to Griffin and is using the zone-read and spread concepts and he loves to run the ball (which I like alot). And the Seahawks offense doesn't have a lot of talent outside of the QB and the RB yet their offense is ranked: 5th in Points and 12th in Yards.

He lost me at Briles.

Bevel. McDaniels. Clements. Carmichael. O'Brien. I'd take any of those guys. Although I could see O'Brien being too hard-nosed for RG3. If O'Brien didn't take any **** from Brady, you know he wouldn't from Griffin.

Think you are severely misreading Griffin here and how he would respond to a tough coach. That's not his issue with the Shanahan. The issue is the level of trust. O'Brien seems like a transparent, no bull**** guy. Mike Shanahan is cryptic and so full of bull**** he's often been mistaken for a barn (the redness also contributes to this). I think Griffin would respond very well to anyone who he believes is on his side and shares mutual trust/respect with him. Whether that guy is laid back or hard-nosed wouldn't matter.

If Briles was hired it would create/further the perception that Griffin is a diva/coach killer with Mike Shanahan's blood on his hands, that Dan Snyder is a meddlesome owner. It could create an instant obstacle/stigma that Briles would have to overcome from day 1. There would be no wiggle room for growth. If Briles comes here he loses the benefit of the doubt that every other coach would have. The media and lemming fans would be on him as fraud or Griffin/Dan's stooge the second there is adversity.

What do you think of Carmichael?

RE:Bevell

Bevell is one of the OC that I like as a HC candidate. He's a long time OC from a WCO offense so there is some scheme continuity.. He has a QB with a similar skillset to Griffin and is using the zone-read and spread concepts and he loves to run the ball (which I like alot). And the Seahawks offense doesn't have a lot of talent outside of the QB and the RB yet their offense is ranked: 5th in Points and 12th in Yards.

Ok, I believe I got myself straightened out now.

Pete Carmichael: Heck yeah I would love to have some of that Saint's offense. I would rather have him over Bevell, but I would hope for Carmichael to be a little more balanced in the pass/run ratio if we were able to land him.

Pete Carmichael is in his fifth season as the Saints’ offensive coordinator after tutoring the club’s quarterbacks the previous three years. Throughout this time, he has been a key figure in the planning and preparations of an offensive attack that has been ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, while leading the league in scoring in 2008 and 2009.

'nuff said? Yes sir and a Super Bowl ring to go with it. He definitely would be right up there with Clements.

Like I said earlier about Carmichael, if we could land either Clements or Carmichael: I would really like to see some more balance in the pass/run ratio.

The more studying I do on these guys really has me thinking that the Spread Option or variations of it are a huge part of the future NFL offenses.

Who else do you got on your list DG?

He lost me at Briles.

Bevel. McDaniels. Clements. Carmichael. O'Brien. I'd take any of those guys. Although I could see O'Brien being too hard-nosed for RG3. If O'Brien didn't take any **** from Brady, you know he wouldn't from Griffin.

Briles is hard-nosed too. Maybe actually look him up instead of just going off assumptions that being RG3's coach is the only reason he is mentioned.

My list in no particular order:

HC:
Josh McDaniels (Pats)
Darrell Bevell (Seattle Seahawks)
Pete Carmichael, Jr. (New Orleans Saints)
Tom Clements (Green Bay Packers)
Jay Gruden (Cincinnati Bengals)
Greg Roman (San Francisco 49ers)

OC/DC maybe HC:
Either of the Ryan IF paired with a proven OC
Mike Zimmer (Bengals)"
Lovie Smith
Hugh Jackson (Bengals)
Rick Dennison (Houston Texans) must be paired with a young OC
Dick LeBeau
Jim Caldwell (paired with an college influence)

DC/OC only:
Eric Mangini
Wade Phillips
Gary Kubiac

Key hires: OC or QB coach that comes from a proven passing scheme and has either (a) developed a young QB before ( has played QB before or has called plays before (even though they will most likely NOT be the primary playcaller here)
Staff:
QB Coach Ken Dorsey (Panthers)
OC/QB coach
Phillip Montgomery (Baylor)
QB Coach-Jake Spavital (Texas A&M)
Kurt Roper OC from Duke
James Coley OC from Miami
OC/QB coach Scott Frost (Oregon State)

QB Coach Zac Taylor (Dolphins)

Any time.

doing the other thread helped me figure out some of what i'm looking for:

-i want an HC/OC that can take Griffin from where he is now and help him reach his full potential as a passer

from a 'butcher to a surgeon' if you will. Any coach that has a back ground developing young QBs will have + in my book

-i want an offense that has:

zone-read concepts

spread formations

I would prefer an offense that features or has some all-go/verticals concepts to take advantage of Griffin's deep ball

edit: uses the back shoulder throws or throw to body position concepts

uptempo/hurry-up (although its no a deal breaker if they don't)

throws to the RBs and makes use of the screen game

uses multiple concepts and can adapt week to week or half to half

traditional rhythm drop back passing concepts but with quick timing

a variety in the running game and a commitment to the running game i.e. not just ZBS but some power, some traps etc.

On defense I would prefer a coach that knows how to run a 34 front

Or DC that hands down knows how to put together a defense

After all of what? I hope your not referring to the bogus media driven stories about Kyle being a bully and acting like a rebellious teenager around daddy? :rolleyes:

More talking about how he interacts with Griffin... There have been mentions that his relationship is the source of tension with Griffin, not Mikes, for months now.

David Smoak was on this week and basically said that opposite that Briles loves Baylor and loves the state of Texas and he couldn't see Briles leaving for the NFL. Made Briles sound like a true old school Texas, thru and thru (which makes me wonder why he wouldn't be interested in the Longhorns job). Called him a "Good ole Texas guy...(Smoak) doesn't think will ever leave the state of Texas". Said that he talked to Briles and gets the feeling that "that (NFL) isn't something on his(Briles) radar"

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=425&f=2228253

I'm sure Briles will be talked about, I question whether the interest will be mutual is all I'm saying. I think Briles can coach his tail off and available or not to coach in the NFL; I think he would be a bad fit here.

I heard it.. But I also hear people closer to Briles say the opposite.. His coaches aren't even 100% sure if Briles will be in waco next season. I'm not saying he is coming or going to leave, but I have enough info that I'm not ruling out the possibility of Briles leaving Texas for a job. 

It's pretty funny to hear the pundits mention Briles as a good fit for the Texans but then they bristle at the him coming to the Redskins because RG3 is hear..You hire a guy that you think will win games and be successful so the fact RG3 is here really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Can't go thru a hiring process thinking "What happens if it fails", just have to cross that bridge when you cross it. 

They will pair Art Briles with a strong defensive coach IF he's the guy to ease the transition..Some of the names that have been mentioned include G.Williams & W.Phillips. Art and Wade are pretty close so that would be interesting I guess. 

Art is far from a lock to get the job but you can't rule him out.. Not a lot of options out there because the Skins aren't looking at Clements or Carmichael.. B.O'Brian and Art are the names you hear the most right now but it's that time of year for smoke as well. 

I would like to add that Jay Gruden doesn't appear to be interested in the Redskins job and is letting people know thru back channels. David Shaw is staying at Stanford as we all know, but he has used the Redskins situation as an example for why he isn't in a hurry to come back to the NFL in private conversations. He wants no part of it. 

Would love to poach Phillip Montgomery off that staff with or without Briles

You get him on the staff as an OC or QB coach you gain the major benefits of Briles and still get a HC with NFL experience

Best of both worlds

Tied at the hip. If Montgomery comes, Briles comes. Which is where I wish I had the ol' DJ Party smiley. 

Hail. 

One drawback to Carmichael is that he may just be the product of having an all-pro qb. Outside of his time with brees, does he have any notable accomplishments? It's one reason I've hated Sean payton being labeled as some offensive genius. He used to get way too cute with his playcalling and brees would bail him out. I'd like to see his offense be able to run the ball, especially when you draft two first round rb's and neither of them can produce in your system.

Archived