Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I'm working on a piece on Briles being as there's SO many misconceptions that he just runs 'another shotgun spread O that will fall flat on its face in the pros'; but I suck at adding diagrams to screenshots/ breaking down video to screenshots etc. 

So if this fly's with anyone and they don't mind adding those to the finished piece, hollar at me and we'll do a conjunction. 

This man would blow the status quo apart in the NFL. If you think Chip Kelly's been innovative, that's NOTHING to the simplistic yet nigh on unstoppable work that's going on down in Waco. 

Hail. 

Tied at the hip. If Montgomery comes, Briles comes. Which is where I wish I had the ol' DJ Party smiley. 

Hail. 

I mentioned this before and will say again just for those that have not seen it.

Kendal Briles is in his sixth season at Baylor and his second serving as the passing game coordinator. Briles coaches the receiving corps and is the Bears' offensive recruiting coordinator.

Yes, that is Art Briles son. He is on the sideline, signals plays in that are called down from Montgomery in the booth.

In regard to Montgomery, he has been with Briles for over 15 years, I cant see him leaving.

As for Briles himself, he is not saying much, he is concentrating on the bowl game. One of his best friends, Ken Bailey still says he doesnt see Briles leaving Texas.

Which is kinda interesting in that some are trying to link him to the Houston Texans HC gig. Maybe because he used to coach in Houston.  Might be a good spot for him to try his offensive philosophy in the NFL. They have a good defense in place with a good DC. They have a heck of a #1 receiver, but have some questions at QB. Case Keenum was once coached by Briles so he might work out.

I am still going to pull for Bill O'Brien as our HC.

Air raid has certainly developed since Leach's 90% pass plays version, but that Oregon team looked quite a bit different from how the Baylor offense runs (does baylor even have a tight end?).  Old school Oregon loved the outside zone-read, which I just don't see as being key for Baylor's offense; and Baylor will air it out, whereas Oregon is typically more conservative on passes.  Some air raid concepts have been incorporated into nfl offenses as well, so obviously there are bound to be some similarities, especially among spread offenses. 

I missed this post earlier. I think the 2 offenses are more similar then you think. Does Baylor have a TE? Yes.

Does Baylor run outside zone read? Yes, a lot. Bryce Petty and Mariota both have ~80 attempts.

Does Oregon air it out? Yes, a ton. Mariota 3,400 yards Petty 3,800

Don't want to side track the thread too much, but for a quick and dirty reference check out Mariota highlight reel and compare it to a Betty/Florence/Griffin highlight reel. Or better yet watch a game cut-up from each team.

I would agree that Baylor is more air raid and more aggressive in general then Oregon but they do quite a bit of air raid concepts themselves.

But we digress to much.....

I know I am going to be lambasted for even bringing up his name but if he was hired by the head coach(who was hired by the gm ;)) how would people feel about Jason Garrett as OC?  He brought Romo sits to pee along from undrafted free agent to where he is now.  He is probably on his way out in Dallas, especially if they miss the playoffs this year.  Like I said, if he was hired by the head coach, what would you guys think?  I could see RG3, Morris, and Garcon thriving in the type of offense that they run, provided that we put some real resources into the oline and incorporated some boots and rollouts to take advantage of RG3's athleticism.

After reading through this thread it is for me:

1) Clements(I want him because of his work developing Rodgers)

2) O'Brien(but a very close 2nd)

3) Bevell(comes from a winning organization and runs a good offense)

I'm very intrigued by Briles, but I wonder if it would cause a problem in the locker room or if it would cause Briles to have trouble keeping the locker room if things went south with the whole RG3 angle.  Not saying I believe one side or another, just stating an outsider's perspective.

Tied at the hip. If Montgomery comes, Briles comes. Which is where I wish I had the ol' DJ Party smiley. 

Hail. 

No doubt they have been tied to each other forever (sandlot forever).

Will they stay together forever? Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure he doesn't plan to coach under Briles forever and I'm sure Briles doesn't expect him to.*shrugs*

Think you are severely misreading Griffin here and how he would respond to a tough coach. That's not his issue with the Shanahan. The issue is the level of trust. O'Brien seems like a transparent, no bull**** guy. Mike Shanahan is cryptic and so full of bull**** he's often been mistaken for a barn (the redness also contributes to this). I think Griffin would respond very well to anyone who he believes is on his side and shares mutual trust/respect with him. Whether that guy is laid back or hard-nosed wouldn't matter.

Maybe. But what I'm getting at is, I feel he's somewhat of a diva. I think O'Brien would have no problem putting him in his place, if need be. With 10's ego, you have to wonder if those two could co-exist.

Don't get me wrong, I like O'Brien. Just unsure if it's a good marriage.

I heard it.. But I also hear people closer to Briles say the opposite.. His coaches aren't even 100% sure if Briles will be in waco next season. I'm not saying he is coming or going to leave, but I have enough info that I'm not ruling out the possibility of Briles leaving Texas for a job. 

It's pretty funny to hear the pundits mention Briles as a good fit for the Texans but then they bristle at the him coming to the Redskins because RG3 is hear..You hire a guy that you think will win games and be successful so the fact RG3 is here really doesn't matter at the end of the day. Can't go thru a hiring process thinking "What happens if it fails", just have to cross that bridge when you cross it.

I'm in no position to rule or include anyone. I am purely talking about which coaches I like and which coaches I don't and why.

You cannot ignore the current perceptions about Griffin and Dan. And regardless of whether or not they're accurate (we know they're not) the perception exsists.

Hiring Briles instantly reinforces that negative perception which creates an immediate obstacle for Briles that doesn't exsist for other coaches. You kinda have to be tone deaf not to see this.

They will pair Art Briles with a strong defensive coach IF he's the guy to ease the transition..Some of the names that have been mentioned include G.Williams & W.Phillips. Art and Wade are pretty close so that would be interesting I guess. 

I'm far more concerned about the OC. Briles would be hired for his offense, but like Kelly, he will need an experienced NFL offensive coach to help him transition/translate his concepts.

Not sure who the 'they' is nor who has been 'mentioning names'?

Art is far from a lock to get the job but you can't rule him out.. Not a lot of options out there because the Skins aren't looking at Clements or Carmichael.. B.O'Brian and Art are the names you hear the most right now but it's that time of year for smoke as well.

There should be a ton of options out there.

The staff should guard their possibly coaching hires even more closely then draft information. And they guard draft information tightly.

How can they have already leaked which coaches they are/aren't interested in.

Either way I would rather just discuss the coaches.

They are gonna hire whomever they are gonna hire any way. But we can still have a good debate about the candidates.

I would like to add that Jay Gruden doesn't appear to be interested in the Redskins job and is letting people know thru back channels

If true kinda odd/ arrogant of him not to be interested in any NFL HC job. Especially since going on 3 interviews last year.

One drawback to Carmichael is that he may just be the product of having an all-pro qb. Outside of his time with brees, does he have any notable accomplishments? It's one reason I've hated Sean payton being labeled as some offensive genius. He used to get way too cute with his playcalling and brees would bail him out. I'd like to see his offense be able to run the ball, especially when you draft two first round rb's and neither of them can produce in your system.

True Carmichael has only worked with Brees. But O'Brien's time in the NFL was with Tom Brady. While it would be nice if the HC has developed a young QB before but it doesn't mean they're not good coaches. Spending time in a well run system should give them knowledge to install that same system or that is the general thought process when you hire a coach from a particular staff/scheme.

So I guess the question becomes is it a deal breaker if they haven't developed a young NFL QB?

I'm working on a piece on Briles being as there's SO many misconceptions that he just runs 'another shotgun spread O that will fall flat on its face in the pros'; but I suck at adding diagrams to screenshots/ breaking down video to screenshots etc. 

So if this fly's with anyone and they don't mind adding those to the finished piece, hollar at me and we'll do a conjunction. 

This man would blow the status quo apart in the NFL. If you think Chip Kelly's been innovative, that's NOTHING to the simplistic yet nigh on unstoppable work that's going on down in Waco. 

Hail. 

That would be dumb. Briles will never make it the NFL. Chip Kelly sucks. Those concepts won't translate.

what kind of stuff were you looking for shoot me a pm or we could discuss it here

I wouldn't add anything to Campbell hater's posts, EVER!!!

I know I am going to be lambasted for even bringing up his name but if he was hired by the head coach(who was hired by the gm ;)) how would people feel about Jason Garrett as OC?

Jason Garrett as OC, too pass happy for my taste but I love his work with the passing game/QBs.

Passing game coordinator/QB coach? In a heartbeat.

You cannot ignore the current perceptions about Griffin and Dan. And regardless of whether or not they're accurate (we know they're not) the perception exsists. Hiring Briles instantly reinforces that negative perception which creates an immediate obstacle for Briles that doesn't exsist for other coaches. You kinda have to be tone deaf not to see this.

Perceptions are going to be what they're going to be regardless of if they are true or false. You can't and they won't set the course for the franchise being worried about those perceptions. 

As far as the " Immediate obstacle". I understand the situation but it depends on how you view it like I posted earlier. Some will see it as catering to the QB until proven otherwise, and some will see it as putting Robert in a situation to max out as a player. Even the pundits are split on this topic. I think it would look worse IF Briles wasn't having success on his own after RG3 left Baylor. 

Comes down to this If Dan Snyder sits in his office and is 100% sold that Art Briles is the coach to lead this team going forward then he should hire him regardless of what the perception is. You can't pass on a guy that you are completely sold on because you're scared of perception because perception changes quickly in the NFL. 

I don't want Dan to sit in the office and think " I really want Art but it's going to look bad so i'll go and get someone else", That's how we ended up with Jim Zorn. 

I'm far more concerned about the OC. Briles would be hired for his offense, but like Kelly, he will need an experienced NFL offensive coach to help him transition/translate his concepts.

Not sure who the 'they' is nor who has been 'mentioning names'?

"They" is upper management.. 

The staff should guard their possibly coaching hires even more closely then draft information. And they guard draft information tightly.

How can they have already leaked which coaches they are/aren't interested in.

It's not leaked to the public, it's information from inside the building. But they have been working on targets for a few weeks. Talk is that Dan has already felt out one HC possibility a few weeks ago. 

You're beginning to scare me mentioning Dan this much. I know Dan should play an key role.

But I hope that comes in the interview process not the selection of whom to interview.

I hoped you would say Bruce or AJ. But that's neither here nor there I guess.

I wouldn't want them to pass on a coach they were completely sold on and I do like Briles a lot as a coach. I view hiring Briles the same way I would view hiring Chip Kelly. Except Kelly had expressed more interest in the NFL before he was hired then Briles has. I was one of the few on this forum that thought Kelly's offense could transition to the NFL. And yet one of my biggest worries with Kelly and now with Briles who is there offensive coordinator going to be? I feel college coaches new to the NFL are very reliant upon their staff more so then any other coach. Imho they need some that knows NFL offense intimately and that can serve as a translator/expeditor/operations officer. I feel like it takes more to make hiring Briles work then it does for a coach with NFL experience that won't create a new organizational feeling of nepotism. And for me that precludes him from being at the top of my list.

Its gonna be very interesting come new years.

I wish/can't wait til they just chitcan this dude already so we can move forward as a franchise.

Comes down to this If Dan Snyder sits in his office and is 100% sold that Art Briles is the coach to lead this team going forward then he should hire him regardless of what the perception is. You can't pass on a guy that you are completely sold on because you're scared of perception because perception changes quickly in the NFL. 

I don't want Dan to sit in the office and think " I really want Art but it's going to look bad so i'll go and get someone else", That's how we ended up with Jim Zorn. 

LL much props, but therein lies the problem with Dan.  He always gets the coach he wants without concern for perception with the exception of Zorn.  In that case, the perceived coach he wanted instead of Zorn was yet another loser.  Rinse, wash repeat.

It will sadden me to watch Briles fail here, fortunately that ain't happening.  He wont be our next coach.

I missed this post earlier. I think the 2 offenses are more similar then you think. Does Baylor have a TE? Yes.

Does Baylor run outside zone read? Yes, a lot. Bryce Petty and Mariota both have ~80 attempts.

Does Oregon air it out? Yes, a ton. Mariota 3,400 yards Petty 3,800

Don't want to side track the thread too much, but for a quick and dirty reference check out Mariota highlight reel and compare it to a Betty/Florence/Griffin highlight reel. Or better yet watch a game cut-up from each team.

I would agree that Baylor is more air raid and more aggressive in general then Oregon but they do quite a bit of air raid concepts themselves.

But we digress to much.....

Yeah, we probably do digress too much.  I don't mean air it out as in just passing, as Baylor has recently become much more of a run oriented team than previously, but rather the routes ran.  Baylor throws to go routes pretty dang often, whereas you almost never see that at Oregon, at least in my experience watching both of their games.  Oregon loves to beat you with shifty runningbacks and YAC whereas Baylor loves deep threat wr along with bruising runningbacks.

And as far as the outside zone read, I wasn't referring to the qb running but rather the handoff to the rb on an outside run rather than inside.  Oregon used to love stretching defenses horizontally with that play.  Seemed like their bread and butter.

i wish people would (a) quote who they are talking about to avoid (b ) creating a strawman/false argument. © Chip Kelly is not the GM

It's not really necessary or relevant for me to single out or call anyone out. Besides, I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just the sentiment that I'm seeing around the league right now. I have seen a few posts regarding chip Kelly's offense but like I said, I'm interested to see if he can build a team and adjust as teams adjust to him.

Also, say, hypothetically we got chip Kelly as our coach instead of shanahan when we hired him... Does anyone really think he would have the same success with this team that he's had with the eagles? You have to think of the situation a coach falls into as well. I think you still need a level of functionality in order for a coach to have success. You can't expect a coach or GM to come into a train wreck and turn it around it 1-2 seasons... There has to be a level of continuity, if not, you will keep having the same issue year after year.. I honestly believe that's our worst issue. Bash me all you want, but this is just my personal opinion.

You have to think of the situation a coach falls into as well. I think you still need a level of functionality in order for a coach to have success. You can't expect a coach or GM to come into a train wreck and turn it around it 1-2 seasons... There has to be a level of continuity, if not, you will keep having the same issue year after year.. I honestly believe that's our worst issue. Bash me all you want, but this is just my personal opinion.

Great post, the Eagles roster blows ours away.

Seems like a lot of people on here want OC's on top offenses and that makes sense but it doesn't always continue like that when they move up to a head coaching job. Things might not work out with the next team, they might not actually do the play calling as a coach for the next team, or they might not be the ones truly responsible for that previous team's offense. Before current Bills HC Doug Marrone was in Syracuse, from 2006 to 2008, he was the OC for the Saints. During those three years their offense was ranked 1st, 4th, and 1st again. The Bills offense is run by Nate Hackett (Marrone's OC in Syracuse). It is a bland offense and nothing like what the Saints ran.

True Carmichael has only worked with Brees. But O'Brien's time in the NFL was with Tom Brady. While it would be nice if the HC has developed a young QB before but it doesn't mean they're not good coaches. Spending time in a well run system should give them knowledge to install that same system or that is the general thought process when you hire a coach from a particular staff/scheme.

So I guess the question becomes is it a deal breaker if they haven't developed a young NFL QB?

That's why I'm somewhat down on O'Brien as well though he's done well developing at the college ranks.  It just makes me wonder if these systems even function without an elite qb.  We saw McDaniels run an excellent offense with Cassel and even Orton, so we know his offenses don't require elite talent, and the running game functioned with Moreno and Buckhalter.  I know some people are strongly against him, but if retreads, especially young ones, are such an awful thing, Seattle and New England wouldn't have Carroll and Belichick.

I guess what really rubs me wrong about the new orleans offense is their running game.  You have an elite qb and o line and 1st round rbs and yet you can't run the ball.  I could accept that maybe the rbs are busts, but reggie has looked much better in detroit AND miami.  Yes, still has injury issues so I don't blame them on not resigning him, but how does a supposed genius offensive coach get away with wasting a #2 overall pick like that?  Maybe Bush needed to be a free agent to get his act together, I don't know, but that new orleans staff used him very poorly.

We have better QB. We have better WRs. They have a better OL. TEs push. They have a better RB.

I agree with you at QB, but personally, I would say receivers is a wash.. One of their receivers(maclin) is on injured reserve.

TE is close but I would give them the advantage there. Their special teams and defense blows ours away as well.

You can't count people that aren't playing as part of their group.

Jordan Reed would be the second leading receiver on the Eagles roster right now and we still have Fred Davis and Paulsen.

Special teams I can't evaluate there is a lot to suggest it might be coaching problem as much as personnel.

Defenses imo is more of a coaching problem then personnel.

You're beginning to scare me mentioning Dan this much. I know Dan should play an key role.

But I hope that comes in the interview process not the selection of whom to interview.

I hoped you would say Bruce or AJ. But that's neither here nor there I guess.

Everyone will play a key role in the process. I'm not 100% sure of what role AJ will play honestly.Some talk of him having a voice in the process but haven't heard if that is concrete or not. He may be a 1 and done as a consultant.

As you know Dan will have to approve and be on board before he strokes a check. 

I wouldn't want them to pass on a coach they were completely sold on and I do like Briles a lot as a coach. I view hiring Briles the same way I would view hiring Chip Kelly. Except Kelly had expressed more interest in the NFL before he was hired then Briles has. I was one of the few on this forum that thought Kelly's offense could transition to the NFL. And yet one of my biggest worries with Kelly and now with Briles who is there offensive coordinator going to be? I feel college coaches new to the NFL are very reliant upon their staff more so then any other coach. Imho they need some that knows NFL offense intimately and that can serve as a translator/expeditor/operations officer. I feel like it takes more to make hiring Briles work then it does for a coach with NFL experience that won't create a new organizational feeling of nepotism. And for me that precludes him from being at the top of my list.

Its gonna be very interesting come new years.

I wish/can't wait til they just chitcan this dude already so we can move forward as a franchise.

`I feel you and agree.. One thing we do know about Briles is he has family on his staff as you said, Son is the WR coach & Son In-law coaches the Running Backs. We also know that Briles attributes their offensive success to continuity with the staff. Some of the guys have been with Briles since he was coaching High School ball.

I wouldn't expect him to take a NFL job and change up his offensive staff too much.I would expect to see the a majority of the guys he has now, maybe add some extra coaches with NFL experience at best. But who knows.. 

I'm torn on the idea of Briles because I think he's a great coach but Washington seems to ruin everything.. 

Archived