Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

What about the Eagles defensive coordinator Billy Davis? He's been around the league for a while, and has turned the Eagles horrific defense into an elite one.

I wouldn't call them elite. The model of an elite defense is consistency. Let's see how they perform the rest of the year before we put them down as one of the best.

Two less HC candidate for NFL: Just as Kevin Sumlin plans to stay at Texas A & M, David Shaw plans to do the same at Stanford, per sources.

Mike Shanahan will not resign from his job and would like to return to Washington next season as long as he can run team the way he wants.

Redskins will not attempt to fire Mike Shanahan for cause and withhold $7 million due for 2014. Contract is “ironclad", per legal source.

Not a Head Coach candidate but an offensive coaching staff candidate:

Phillip Montgomery OC, Baylor:

Following Baylor's record-breaking 2011 season, Montgomery was named the national Offensive Coordinator of the Year by Rivals.com as well as the Quarterback Coach of the Year by SpeedTracs/FootballScoop.com.

Gary Kubiak is much better then Mike and Kyle Shanahan and the Texans problems sure wasn't because of him. They had many teams beat this season, including the Seahawks before Matt Schaub threw that late interception that was returned for a TD. His play calling decisions are as good as any in the NFL and he works very good with his players. 

He did everything he could to keep a team together that was destined to fall apart because of the bad attitudes of some of his star players. He never quit or gave up like our coaches did and if any of you had the chance to watch some of their games, they played some good games, they just had some big mistakes made by Schaub. Kubiak would sure do much beeter than Mike Shanahan from the very start, I would not be upset if they hired him.

So JLC dropped Skins have some interest in Bill O'Brien. He also dropped there is mutual interest between Briles & Skins. Briles/Skins is not a surprise, info has been coming out of Baylor fro almost 3 months about the Skins job.That being said, I don't know if it happens, a few hurdles to get over. 

Anyone who rules Briles out isn't very smart... I still don't know how that would work.But Briles,O'Brien, & Jay Gruden are the guys i'm most interested in.

I am one of Baylor's and Art Briles biggest fans but I in light of all the drama surrounding Griffin. It would create a bad perception which would be an instant hurdle.

And hiring Briles makes assembling the coaching staff more difficult because of Briles lack of NFL experience.

The Eagles were lucky to failed a smart but failed WCO HC in Pat Shurmur to be the OC. The FO would need to find a similar type of OC to give it a chance of success.

So JLC dropped Skins have some interest in Bill O'Brien. He also dropped there is mutual interest between Briles & Skins. Briles/Skins is not a surprise, info has been coming out of Baylor fro almost 3 months about the Skins job.That being said, I don't know if it happens, a few hurdles to get over. 

Anyone who rules Briles out isn't very smart... I still don't know how that would work.But Briles,O'Brien, & Jay Gruden are the guys i'm most interested in.

But as you probably know, JLC doesn't have too strong a rep on this board. Are you saying that we should hold his word in higher light?

I am one of Baylor's and Art Briles biggest fans but I in light of all the drama surrounding Griffin. It would create a bad perception which would be an instant hurdle.

And hiring Briles makes assembling the coaching staff more difficult because of Briles lack of NFL experience.

The Eagles were lucky to failed a smart but failed WCO HC in Pat Shurmur to be the OC. The FO would need to find a similar type of OC to give it a chance of success.

I hear you but they would have a solid plan.

But as you probably know, JLC doesn't have too strong a rep on this board. Are you saying that we should hold his word in higher light?

Well a few of us have heard a lot of Briles/Skins talk weeks before JLC put his info out.But his info is almost dead on to what I was hearing back in October. That tells me it has legs..

JLC doesn't have the greatest rep on this board but he has been pretty damn accurate with his Skins info the last few years. 

All I'm saying is there is talk from both directions about Briles...I'm not sure what happens with it or where it goes at this point tho. But I can't rule him out at this point.

I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing shanahan come back for a 5th season, with all new coordinators.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be mad if we got a new coach either. Mike Zimmer,Adam Gase, Darrell Bevill. Bill O'brien would be the only coach from the college ranks I would consider bringing in.

I know I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't mind seeing shanahan come back for a 5th season, with all new coordinators.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be mad if we got a new coach either. Mike Zimmer,Adam Gase, Darrell Bevill. Bill O'brien would be the only coach from the college ranks I would consider bringing in.

Ok. You have Shanahan back with all new coordinators. 

Now, how do you propose to mend this rift with your franchise QB he's just sat for the year that's looking more and more irreparable by the day?

Hail. 

My wish list:

1.) Bill O'Brien- this guys has done a great job at Penn State under very difficult circumstances. I think this guy would do an amazing job at developing Robert.

2.) Jay Gruden- Again excellent job coaching up a young quarterback and I like the way that Cinncinati has build a pretty solid oline there.

3.) Derrelle Bevell- Great job developing Russell Wilson and has built a great offense in Seattle. I heard he is a bit more reserved and would prefer our coach to have a bit more fire, but he is a great offensive mind.

I'd love to include David Shaw in this list but I don't think there is anyway he leaves Stanford. I would list him #2 on this list if I thought he would come out.

Anybody got a good dark horse candidate that no one is mentioning? I feel like we all have been naming similar people.

Should be an interesting offseason and hopefully the dawning of a new era for us.

Ok. You have Shanahan back with all new coordinators.

Now, how do you propose to mend this rift with your franchise QB he's just sat for the year that's looking more and more irreparable by the day?

Hail.

Supposedly, IF, and that's a big IF, shanahan does come back, he wants to be able to play who gives the team the best chance to win. I'm not really sure what that means, but Im thinking Robert needs to suck it up and just bust his butt and prove he can be the Robert we saw his rookie year. I'm willing to ride this wave out until cooler heads prevail and when next season is over(hopefully not like this one) we can decide if we want to part ways or not. Robert understands the chain of command and respects it. He doesn't always have to like it, but as long as he respects it that's what really matters. That speaks volumes to how he was raised. I think Robert will be fine, regardless

Anybody got a good dark horse candidate that no one is mentioning? I feel like we all have been naming similar people.

Should be an interesting offseason and hopefully the dawning of a new era for us.

My list in no particular order:

HC:

Josh McDaniels (Pats)

Darrell Bevell (Seattle Seahawks)

Pete Carmichael, Jr. (New Orleans Saints)

Tom Clements (Green Bay Packers)

Jay Gruden (Cincinnati Bengals)

Greg Roman (San Francisco 49ers)

OC/DC maybe HC:

Either of the Ryan IF paired with a proven OC

Mike Zimmer (Bengals)"

Lovie Smith

Hugh Jackson (Bengals)

Rick Dennison (Houston Texans) must be paired with a young OC

Dick LeBeau

DC/OC only:

Eric Mangini

Wade Phillips

Gary Kubiac

Key hires: OC or QB coach that comes from a proven passing scheme and has either (a) developed a young QB before ( has played QB before or has called plays before (even though they will most likely NOT be the primary playcaller here)

Staff:

QB Coach Ken Dorsey (Panthers) 

OC/QB coach Phillip Montgomery (Baylor)

QB Coach-Jake Spavital (Texas A&M)

Kurt Roper OC from Duke

James Coley OC from Miami

OC/QB coach Scott Frost (Oregon State)

Jay Gruden (O coordinator, Bengals)

Dan Quinn (D coordinator, Seahawks)

Darrell Bevell (O coordinator, Seahawks)

The edge obviously goes to the offensive coaches.  Bevell is ideal because the Seahawks run a similar offense to us.  Gruden knows how to coach an offense and has NFL experience, which is a big plus.  Quinn can build a solid defense, which is a current weakness for our team.  

Hire Bill Polian and let him hire the coach. This is the right way to build a team. They have pieces on Offense but the Defense is gonna need serious work. Special Teams is like null an void.

Just for those who may not know who Bill Polian is. He built the Buffalo Bills who went to 4 straight Super Bowls, and the Indianapolis Colts. We should beg him to come here and back up a Brinks truck to his house. PLEASE MR. SNYDER THIS IS THE OBVIOUS MOVE.

Yes, make the obvious move and hire the 71 year old who has been out of football for three years.

I hate these discussions because the average fan only knows - like - three names. We are going to see 25 people suggest Russ Grimm as a head coach in January and it's going to make me put a gun in my mouth.

I just keep coming back to the idea of stealing from the Bengals - Duke Tobin as GM and Jay Gruden as HC. If you can be somewhat successful working for Scrooge McDuck, you can be successful anywhere.

Archived