Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I follow Penn State more than I do the Redskins. It is pretty much an accepted fact that O'Brien has told Hackenberg he will remain at PSU throughout his entire PSU career. O'Brien has also been all over the Northeast recruiting over the past few week. His wife also reportedly loves State College. That plus his cushy multi-million dollar salary and job security, I doubt he leaves early.

I'm a huge Penn State fan as well, and I think that if O'Brien didn't leave last year, that he's going to stick around to at least see Hackenberg through school (as you stated).  They're halfway through the bowl ban -- which I think will end up being lifted one or two years early -- and they have already had their scholarships increased.  He has complete job security, in one of the optimum college coaching jobs, so I think he might stick around for a while.

Then again, money talks, and these coaches can never say never.

It's weird...if he were to leave Penn State for the Redskins, I would be really bummed...I think he is the perfect fit for the Nittany Lions.

Starting Kirk is just going to make things worse for the coaching search.

I mean, what if he plays great?

Is Snyder going to dictate that the new coach has to start RG3 no matter what? I love RG3, and hope he is the guy we gave up all those picks for, but I'm not sure I what Snyder or Allen telling the new coach who the QB should be no matter what.

GD Shanny.

Even though he he looked bad in Indy because Peyton Manning and Bill Polian pretty much decided everything I would take a look at Jim Caldwell. He's a QB coach and Offensive coordinator and he was one of the key people who got the Ravens on their Super Bowl run last year once he took over as OC. I also think he might have a demeanor to work well with a developing young QB like Griffin as opposed to another Shanahan styled hard a-- 

19 more days until Shanahan is gone.

I actually think I have a damn good answer here.

RG3 wants to be a more athletic Aaron Rodgers, right? Okay, well, who better to make that happen than the guy who made Aaron Rodgers happen? Ladies and gentlemen, I submit for your approval:

Clements_Tom.jpg

- Packers offensive coordinator since 2012

- Packers quarterbacks coach since 2006

- Played quarterback himself in the CFL for 12 seasons, winning two Grey Cups in the process

- Not flashy

- Not a big name

- Not a retread

- Not a college coach

- Comes from a phenomenal organization

- It's actually conceivable that he'd agree to take over this Hindenburg for the right price

Your thoughts?

I actually think I have a damn good answer here.

RG3 wants to be a more athletic Aaron Rodgers, right? Okay, well, who better to make that happen than the guy who made Aaron Rodgers happen? Ladies and gentlemen, I submit for your approval:

..Your thoughts?

Great minds...

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374346-who-is-the-best-potential-head-coach-that-is-available/?p=9661255

We're never going to get a decent head coach. This organization is the pits.  Only coaches who will come here are tired retreads like Shanny and idiots who desperately want to be in charge like Zorn.  This franchise, ladies and gentlemen, is a ****ING JOKE.

My list in no particular order:

HC:

Josh McDaniels (Pats)

Darrell Bevell (Seattle Seahawks)

Pete Carmichael, Jr. (New Orleans Saints)

Tom Clements (Green Bay Packers)

Jay Gruden (Cincinnati Bengals)

Greg Roman (San Francisco 49ers)

OC/DC maybe HC:

Either of the Ryan IF paired with a proven OC

Mike Zimmer (Bengals)"

Lovie Smith

Hugh Jackson (Bengals)

Rick Dennison (Houston Texans) must be paired with a young OC

DC/OC only:

Eric Mangini

Wade Phillips

Gary Kubiac

Key hires: OC or QB coach that comes from a proven passing scheme and has either (a) developed a young QB before ( B) has played QB before © or has called plays before (even though they will most likely NOT be the primary playcaller here

QB Coach Ken Dorsey, OC/QB coach Phillip Montgomery, QB Coach-Jake Spavital (Texas A&M)

Want to add Kurt Roper OC from Duke and James Coley OC from Florida State to my list for QB coach or WR Coach or OC IF we have a HC that calls their own plays

Proven WR coach-tired of seeing our WRs under developed

What about defense?  If I totally discount the roster and just talk x's and o's, I'm perfectly happy with our offense, I HATE our defense.  I like this choice offensively, D help please.

I have always thought this at the end of Spurrier, Gibbs, and Zorn.  But with each new organizational move I have renewed vigor as a fan.  No end makes me damper a new beginning, and we do have a franchise QB for once.

Even though he he looked bad in Indy because Peyton Manning and Bill Polian pretty much decided everything I would take a look at Jim Caldwell. He's a QB coach and Offensive coordinator and he was one of the key people who got the Ravens on their Super Bowl run last year once he took over as OC. I also think he might have a demeanor to work well with a developing young QB like Griffin as opposed to another Shanahan styled hard a-- 

19 more days until Shanahan is gone.

I thought of him too and I put that he could maybe bring in Frank Reich as his O. Coordinator but no one really replied to what I said. He worked alongside and under Caldwell in Indy. He was QB coach with Manning then WR coach with Garcon. Went to Arizona as a WR coach with Fitzgerald. Now he's the QB coach in SD working with Rivers.

As regards Briles the coach I couldn't agree more.

Many that flippantly dismiss his scheme as just another gimmicky collegiate offering that would fall flat on its face in the pros patently have neither seen it in action nor read up on it.

Which is fine. Nobody expects folk to watch college ball. But if your gona' diss something, at least research it first so your on safe ground to argue.

Hail.

Not to mention, didn't they use a fair share of it last year, and it worked well.  Apparently its the NFL stuff that Kyle calls that's not working.  I'm not actually a big fan of hiring Briles, or any college HC, but I won't go so far as to say "won't work".

My list in no particular order:...

The only ones I can't agree with you on are Josh McDaniels and Hugh Jackson.

I would have nightmares every night if McDaniels were HC, and I've never been a fan of Jackson, after he was with the Skins.

I don't think McDaniels learned anything during his first year in Denver, and he's Belichick's understudy and they fair well.

As far as Hugh goes, I've just never been impressed with him, but I will be honest in saying I've never looked at him since he left the Skins.

I thought of him too and I put that he could maybe bring in Frank Reich as his O. Coordinator but no one really replied to what I said. He worked alongside and under Caldwell in Indy. He was QB coach with Manning then WR coach with Garcon. Went to Arizona as a WR coach with Fitzgerald. Now he's the QB coach in SD working with Rivers.

Frank Reich fits the bill for the type of coach I want on this staff going forward.

I wouldn't mind a guy like Reich being on the staff. Both he and Caldwell have a history with up tempo no huddle Offenses which should be a no brainer in an Offense with RG3. I don't know why Kyle acted like it was pulling teeth to run a no huddle.

I don't have the time to go thru 18 pages of this thread, but I have always liked John Gruden as a head coach. Don't know if he would be a good fit, but I personally feel with Snyder as owner this franchise will NEVER be good. Sorry. Just my 2 cents. I hope I can be proven wrong. It sounds negative because it is. I'm down. This franchise let us all down. I was watching ESPN the other day. This Redskins organization has made the playoffs 4 times in the last 20 years. That has me thinking the Redskins are similar to the Bengals, Lions maybe  the Browns. I don't know. Thats what pops into my head when I hear how awful this organization is.

As regards Briles the coach I couldn't agree more.

Many that flippantly dismiss his scheme as just another gimmicky collegiate offering that would fall flat on its face in the pros patently have neither seen it in action nor read up on it.

Which is fine. Nobody expects folk to watch college ball. But if your gona' diss something, at least research it first so your on safe ground to argue.

Hail.

One thing to keep in mind about Briles, is he has his son on the staff also.

Kendall is the QB/ receiver coach who sends in the plays.

Montgomery is up in the press box and relays them down to Kendall.

But the Skins have more of a chance of Snyder selling the team, then getting Briles.

. This Redskins organization has made the playoffs 4 times in the last 20 years. That has me thinking the Redskins are similar to the Bengals, Lions maybe  the Browns. I don't know. Thats what pops into my head when I hear how awful this organization is.

Surprisingly the Bengals have been in the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years. 

Do we need to have a coach with an offensive background to develop a QB?  Especially with the drama around the team it seems like a head coach coming into this situation could benefit from having a little bit of distance and hire some good people at offensive coordinator and QB coach.  

There's a lot of good QBs who developed/are developing under head coaches with defensive backgrounds.  Belichick and Brady.  Pagano and Luck.  John Fox/Ron Rivera and Cam Newton.  Mike Smith and Matt Ryan.  

I don't know.  I'm not convinced that looking for a good QB developer to come in here as head coach to develop RG3 is the right way to go.  There's too much that's wrong here from top to bottom.  I'd want to be sure there's at least one guy on the staff to spend every waking moment worrying about RG3's development.  But the head coach has got a lot of other problems to worry about on this team, too.

Even more so, I'd hate for the team to pigeonhole itself into thinking it needs to hire X type of coach because of RG3.  The really crucial quality, and the quality I miss so much in Gibbs first time around, was the ability to hire, develop, and motivate a staff of coaches which in turn means those guys develop and motivate the players.  Those staffs out-worked and out-thought other teams.  I want a guy who will put a staff together to do that from top to bottom in every facet.  If that guy is an OC, so be it.  But it doesn't have to be.

We're never going to get a decent head coach. This organization is the pits. Only coaches who will come here are tired retreads like Shanny and idiots who desperately want to be in charge like Zorn. This franchise, ladies and gentlemen, is a ****ING JOKE.

While you have a point, one thing to keep in mind is the lack of pressure (to a degree) a coach would have coming into this organization. If they fail to turn it around, all they need to say in later job interviews is that it was a circus and he didn't have Ringmaster training. Not to mention the list of previous coaches that also couldn't handle it - not much of a black mark.

One thing to keep in mind about Briles, is he has his son on the staff also.

Kendall is the QB/ receiver coach who sends in the plays.

Montgomery is up in the press box and relays them down to Kendall.

But the Skins have more of a chance of Snyder selling the team, then getting Briles.

Ooh, maybe Montgomery could take over as HC of Baylor and we could have a father/son combo as HC/OC!! Yay! J/K of course. I have no problem with Briles/Montgomery and little Briles... aside from the difficulty in getting them to leave Baylor.

Archived