Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

I'm afraid a Defensive Coach would just want Griffin to handoff and be a game manager. That's basically what Rivera has done with Cam Newton in Carolina. It probably would be the easiest transition personnel on Offense because all we would really need is an O-Line overhaul. Running a Spread Offense would require a more serious upgrade at WR as well as the O-Line but maybe Hankerson and Robinson would flourish in a more wide open attack instead of the standard WCO we've been running.

http://www.footballnation.com/content/tom-clements-the-best-kept-secret-the-nfl/20557/

Rodgers: "I have an incredible quarterback coach. Tom Clements is a guy I pray I get to work with my entire career because he's an incredible teacher of the game, he understands how to coach quarterbacks. He played quarterback in the CFL for 13 years. Him and I just really have a good connection. He knows how to push my buttons and get the most out of me and he never lets me be complacent."

That's not all.

Rodgers: "Tom understands the position and knows how to coach it." He added, "I think his best quality is his game-day style. I've been around different coaches and he is very calm on game day and very simple. Because he is so simple and calm, he doesn't get you rattled."

When Tom Clements was being interviewed for the Penn State coaching job, Rodgers had something to say about that.

Rodgers: “I don’t want to see him leave, but if you look at that situation it’s going to take a man with integrity to step in there and lead. Tom has a great pedigree as a player, as a coach, as a teacher, as human. He's a first-class individual."

Would love either him or bevell for OC or HC.

Are you talking Clements for OC or head coach ???

If head coach, who do you like for OC ??

I was thinking more OC but if we get a proper GM in here, its almost a moot point.

I am not sure about his HC potential, but imagine if he were and got a DC that had near full control, it may work.

Otherwise, I am lost at candidates.

We simply need a proper GM. Allen is useless and since Mike is going no where, Allen should be the first to go so someone can properly assist Dan at this point.

I would like Mike stripped of GM duties. I do not trust him AT ALL with any financial moves, draft choices, nor trades, at this point.

Defense is important, but I think a decent DC can fix a defense completely.

The thing with the new age NFL is, offense wins games. If we can find a coach that really is an offensive and QB mastermind, we will win games, plain and simple. For example, lets look at the Cardinals, Bruce ARians is a genius coach, and even more of a genius with QBs, Couch(who was actually pretty good with Arians), Big Ben, Peyton, Luck, all had Arians, and Arians made them look like starts. Look at that Colt offense without Arians. With Arians, Luck threw for 4500 yards, this year he isnt even going to throw for 3500. Even the running game was better last year with Arians, if you can believe that. Arians was a guy I wish we could have gotten, the Cards struck gold with him. The Cardinals are all of a sudden a playoff contender and Carson Palmer actually looks good again, because of Arians.

Point is you need to find a coach that can make any QB look good. Hate to say this again but what Bill O brien did with Matt McGloin is just ridiculous. Matt McGloin was a joke, terrible qb, no arm strength, not accurate, and just didnt understand the game. Bill O Brien worked with McGloin for ONE YEAR!! ONE YEAR! and now hes an NFL starter, and hes actually not doing that bad!!!! He will tell you that a huge part of his success is Bill O Brien. What O Brien has done with Hacckenberg in just 12 games is also amazing.

Bill O'Brien is the coach Id want. But, I would settle for a guy like Carmichael from the Saints, who I think doesnt get enough credit.

Clements I think would be a decent pick as well.

And by the way, LOL @ whoever said Josh McDaniels. You have got to be kidding me right?!?!?

Please! 

Do not hire and offensive minded head coach. IMO this will tie the head coach much much too tightly with Griffin. I'm thinking that creates more of a problem then it really helps. Every bad stretch we go through Griffin and the man in charge of the team will be pinned against eachother. We need a coach that can have a healthy relationship with Griffin and delegate. Jon Grudens little Brother would not make it with the DC media the guy was clowinsh on hard knocks and is getting credit for and offense that has A LOT more talent than we do. Art Briels... PLEASE no! Griffin has been humbled this year and it may be a good thing. You put a healthy chip on his shoulder bring in a guy like Lovie Smith who has his players backs but keeps a calm around the orginazation. A serious figure that this orginazation desperatly needs. For those that want all these Cordinators who are making noise lets find just that a Cordinator for Lovie that can make some noise.

Steal Rod Merinelli from Dallas to be defensive cord after they go 8-8 and their coaching staff gets fired.  Lovie,Ken Dorsey and Rod Merinellie = a chance

.... where to even begin? Jack Del Rio is going to leave the best offense in football and a stable organization to come... here?

Kyle Shanahan is going to look the other way on his father going down in flames here and surely having a bitter falling out with the organization?

London Fletcher knows Special Teams enough to coach them?

Please! 

Do not hire and offensive minded head coach. IMO this will tie the head coach much much too tightly with Griffin. I'm thinking that creates more of a problem then it really helps. Every bad stretch we go through Griffin and the man in charge of the team will be pinned against eachother. We need a coach that can have a healthy relationship with Griffin and delegate. Jon Grudens little Brother would not make it with the DC media the guy was clowinsh on hard knocks and is getting credit for and offense that has A LOT more talent than we do. Art Briels... PLEASE no! Griffin has been humbled this year and it may be a good thing. You put a healthy chip on his shoulder bring in a guy like Lovie Smith who has his players backs but keeps a calm around the orginazation. A serious figure that this orginazation desperatly needs. For those that want all these Cordinators who are making noise lets find just that a Cordinator for Lovie that can make some noise.

Steal Rod Merinelli from Dallas to be defensive cord after they go 8-8 and their coaching staff gets fired.  Lovie,Ken Dorsey and Rod Merinellie = a chance

If this is your reasoning for not hiring an offensive minded head coach, then Im sorry but you are feeding way to much into the Shanny saga.

That is not an issue anywhere else in this league man.

List of amazing offensive minded head coachs:

Jim Harbaugh

BRuce Arians

Sean Payton

Mike McCarthy

Marc Tressman(making Luke McCown look like Manning)

Chip Kelly(not amazing yet but looking great so far)

Rob Chudzinski(Browns lost their top QB in Hoyer, but are still unreal at offense this year, hes made Jason Campbell look amazing)

Gary Kubiak

Andy Reid

Mike McCoy

Honestly, all the guys I just named run football teams that have incredible offenses.

Shanny Griffin Saga.... Griffin has some blame.  Robert was caught up in the hype and acted bigger then the orginazation. He needs to be Managed very carefully. 

My argument is not that offensive minded coaches do not work in the NFL. My argument it that it would not be ideal HERE in Washington with our unique situation. The media and History and Hype that this team creates needs to be handled very delicate.

Shanny Griffin Saga.... Griffin has some blame.  Robert was caught up in the hype and acted bigger then the orginazation. He needs to be Managed very carefully. 

My argument is not that offensive minded coaches do not work in the NFL. My argument it that it would not be ideal HERE in Washington with our unique situation. The media and History and Hype that this team creates needs to be handled very delicate.

I see what your saying I just think thats the last thing to think about whenever your choosing a coach.

HC - Art Bryles or David Shaw.. 

The 49ers Eagles and Seahawks have both shown the way in the new NFL. Players are coming out of college and starting right away. You need passionate leaders who are used to coaching them and can get the most out of young talent. They have something to prove because they havent won a national title, but they can pursue a Super Bowl..

883-Baylor-Coach-Art-Briles-Gets-New-10-

stanford-david-shaw-081013.jpg

Shanny Griffin Saga.... Griffin has some blame. Robert was caught up in the hype and acted bigger then the orginazation. He needs to be Managed very carefully.

You pick the best coach to lead your team regardless of if they are an offensive, defensive, or special teams coach.

Coaching changes are not always the answer... Our Defense was top 5 and we changed to Haslett and the 34 scheme.... Our Defense hasn't been the same. We got rid of the 43 Defense and reworked our roster to adjust... Kerrigan is a stud! But, I'd have rather just kept the 43 and not fixed up something that wasn't broken to begin with.

Hail, we might as well trade RG3 and go with Cousins! We could use the draft picks and RG3 for all the hype hasn't proved to be all that...(I know trading RG3 will be popular) lol

I posted this in the other coaching thread...

I think Snyder's been hiring the wrong type of coaches all along. Look at Snyder's personality. He loves hanging out with the star players, with movie stars, etc. He's not going to change. There is always a circus or drama going on around the Redskins. Why not hire a coach that loves all the drama and circus atmosphere, too. Maybe a coach that would thrive in this type of environment? Obviously, Schottenheimer, Gibbs, Zorn, and Shanahan don't fit that personality type. Maybe if the Jets fire Rex Ryan, we could get him? Maybe Rob Ryan? Maybe we could coax Jerry Glanville out of retirement?

Haven't read all 19 pgs of the thread but here is my proposal:

GM NICK CASERIO, Director of Player Personel:

Young and has been with the Patriots for 13 years. He has witnessed a successful program being built the right way; draft and a few key FA signings here and there. Has a good reputation around the league. Patriots seem to draft well and continue to play well even when key players go down. Let Bruce Allen handle the contracts and cap, let Nick choose his players.

HC- BIll O'Brien Head Coach PSU

If there is someone who can pry O'Brien out of Penn State, it would be Nick Caserio. Bill O'Brien served as offensive assistant and coordinator for New England before taking the job at PSU. He also knows what it like to be part of a successful organization. Caserio would have a great feel for the players that O'Brien needs to fit his system. They are also both relatively young, with something to prove. As far as the changeover from Shannahans offense to his, look what he did at Penn State. PSU couldn't throw to save their lives before O'Brien showed. In two years he's vastly improved that offense. With sanctions and in the face of adversity. He was able to give that program the turn around that the redskins desperately need. Ask any Penn State fan (Im not one), they'll tell you they would never want to see him go. Never heard one bad thing from a Penn State fan about him.

DC- Rex Ryan, Head Coach Jets

F it, why not? Say what you want about him as a head coach, but this man is a defensive mastermind. Look what he did with the Jets without many stars. He would know exactly how to use Rak and Kerrigan to improve the pass rush. He knows how to hide the weaknesses of his defense. High profile, yeah, but he's definitely the defensive coordinator on the market (assuming the Jets fire him).

OC- Whoever O'Brien appoints. Probably a position coach or an assistant that worked with him in NE or PSU. Whoever it is has to be able to develop trust with RG3.

It's a lot of hypotheticals, but what do you guys think?

If he doesnt get a HC job and doesnt want to sit out a year, this would be a great place for him for a season at least. Our defense is a joke, if he got them to the middle of the pack he'd look like a hero. If he showed that he could turn the Skins D around it would get him more HC looks later on.

Look what his brother did with the saints. Historically bad last year, much improved this year, and now Rob looks like a stud

I do like the idea of Bill Obrien.

After cleaning up the mess at PSU, taking over and cleaning up the Skins should be a cakewalk.

Bill O'Brien is 15-9 in two seasons at Penn Stateand has quickly developed a reputation as an offensive mastermind and developer of quarterbacks. Those are appealing qualities in today's NFL, where O'Brien said he would like to land at some point in his coaching career.

O'Brien, of course, has valuable NFL experience and has shown the type of coaching acumen and leadership ability to warrant NFL consideration. His job at Penn State required ingenuity and determination, with new and unforeseen challenges around every corner. He's done a masterful job of recruiting and working around severe roster limitations.

When the right time and situation arises, O'Brien can make an easier exit to the NFL after signing an amended contract last summer. The deal gave O'Brien a $1 million raise and lessened the buyout figure NFL franchises would have to pay in order to hire O'Brien. That buyout is approximately $6.7 million and drops to around $3.3 million if he leaves after the 2014 season.

For his part, O'Brien has never denied his interest in an NFL job, but he's also told players in the 2013 and '14 recruiting classes that he intends to stay at Penn State for the duration of their careers. Onetime linebacker recruit Jared Wangler and 2014 commitment Michael O'Connor both confirmed that fact to PennLive over the summer.

"My profession is coaching, and in my profession, the National Football League is the highest level of coaching," O'Brien said shortly after he announced he was staying at Penn State last winter.

Archived