Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Well as we're currently in a worse state than what he left it would probably be a step up.

Hail.

Hahaha. Brother clean your inbox I need to send you a funny pic

I really like Art Briles, and it has nothing to do with his prior connection to RG3, but I understand the chaos that it would create. Bevell out of Seattle is a solid choice as well. Baylor OC Montgomery would be awesome to have as well at OC.

Hail

Not more then one would expect more then YOU expect. Jay Gruden had 3 HC interviews last year.

Use your eyes to read, I like him as HC because he has developed a young QB. And in a QB driven league QB development is paramount. And very few coaches in the NFL know how to coach the QB position.

You're like a child that wanders into a room in the middle of a conversation and starts making assumptions. Tom Clements is my number 1 choice and I already listed Greg Roman on my list. So what are you talking about? You have spent more time talking about Jay Gruden then I have the fascination is yours.

Either read more of the thread or ask questions before making assumptions so you don't come across as.....well......you

Gruden was interviewed for 3 coaching positions after his very first year as an oc. If you don't think that has to do with his last name then I don't know what to tell you.

It's also cute that you assume the hc develops a qb. You must have been ecstatic about the zorn hiring. And, again, having one qb for 3 years is hardly a hc worthy career.

When a thread is about the BEST hc available it's just laughable when a guy mentions someone with such few credentials and then acts like he likes him for more than his last name.

Well as we're currently in a worse state than what he left it would probably be a step up.

Hail.

Hahaha. Brother clean your inbox I need to send you a funny pic

I really like Art Briles, and it has nothing to do with his prior connection to RG3, but I understand the chaos that it would create. Bevell out of Seattle is a solid choice as well. Baylor OC Montgomery would be awesome to have as well at OC.

Hail

On it man. Never realised it was full. I'll downsize by lunch time.

And I doubt you'd get Montgomery without Art. They have so much respect for each other and work so well together I doubt they ever split. Both guys are more than happy in their respective roles.

Gota' respect that. The OC thinking that highly of the HC and the scheme that he's more than happy to stay as OC and not look to take the whole gig.

Hail.

On it man. Never realised it was full. I'll downsize by lunch time.

And I doubt you'd get Montgomery without Art. They have so much respect for each other and work so well together I doubt they ever split. Both guys are more than happy in their respective roles.

Gota' respect that. The OC thinking that highly of the HC and the scheme that he's more than happy to stay as OC and not look to take the whole gig.

Hail.

Art Briles is the ultimate coach for adapting to what player strengths he has. I honestly feel like he is the best football coach in the world bar none. Seriously I will compile some information on the man, and share it on ES later today. Like I said previously a lot of folks will poo poo the idea of hiring him, because some people are scared what the media will say (silly). Or that RG3 is the GM and hired his friend (even more silly). 

Send me a pm when you got room for a pm please and thank you.

Hail

Art Briles is the ultimate coach for adapting to what player strengths he has. I honestly feel like he is the best football coach in the world bar none. Seriously I will compile some information on the man, and share it on ES later today. Like I said previously a lot of folks will poo poo the idea of hiring him, because some people are scared what the media will say (silly). Or that RG3 is the GM and hired his friend (even more silly).

Hail

As regards Briles the coach I couldn't agree more.

Many that flippantly dismiss his scheme as just another gimmicky collegiate offering that would fall flat on its face in the pros patently have neither seen it in action nor read up on it.

Which is fine. Nobody expects folk to watch college ball. But if your gona' diss something, at least research it first so your on safe ground to argue.

Hail.

As regards Briles the coach I couldn't agree more.

Many that flippantly dismiss his scheme as just another gimmicky collegiate offering that would fall flat on its face in the pros patently have neither seen it in action nor read up on it.

Which is fine. Nobody expects folk to watch college ball. But if your gona' diss something, at least research it first so your on safe ground to argue.

Hail.

"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." Mark Twain. One of

my favorite quotes from twain

My vote is for the next star college coach with an innovative, high powered offense that took his program to new heights.

But if Briles is the hire, we've got to get a real GM because Briles doesn't need to be in charge of player personnel.

And there you have the perfect scenario.

Briles and Montgomery (He'd come as their tied at the coaching hip), back with 10, doing JUST what their hired to do. TEACH and COACH.

With a proper football GM doing just what he's hired to do. The player personnel/ acquisition side.

Man my heart just skipped a beat at the prospect.

Hail.

My vote is for the next star college coach with an innovative, high powered offense that took his program to new heights.

But if Briles is the hire, we've got to get a real GM because Briles doesn't need to be in charge of player personnel.

Indeed. GM has to be the first step IMO. That has been one of the two missing pieces for the team of the last 22+ years. We got one now a franchise QB :) .

Hail

I totally agree we should get a real GM - but logically that hire has to come before the coaching hire. If the new GM thinks Briles is the guy thats cool but I would not want to hire a HC who has some say in who then gets hired as GM. Thats part of whats got us where we are right now.

I would just like to apologise to the board for believing that Shanny was actually a good and ernest person dedicated to his profession and this team. This woeful miscalculation on my part lead me to the now obvious erronious belief that he would return as the GM/Coach. Shame on me.

And I'd like to see someone hired that I know nothing about because I know nothing about how to judge a head football coach.

~argumentative nonsense

LB-You are more wrong with every word you write, even your very first response was misguided. You make false assumptions and never admit to making a mistake you instead ignore your mistakes and false assumptions then make up rhetorical arguments. You deny or dismiss obvious facts to suit your agenda.....are you MIke Shanahan? lol

Its been great having this conversation with you though.

-Cheers

Briles isnt ready for the NFL.

He runs a gimmick offense at Baylor, he wont know what to do in the nfl, in my opinion.

Jay Gruden is only a coach because of his name. Watch Hard Knocks, Jay Gruden isnt exactly an offensive genius in my mind. But, whatever, I can see how some people might want him.

We missed out, we should have snagged Bruce Arians, or even Chud from Cleveland. The only thing I can hope for now is Carmichael from NO, hes about the only OC I would want as HC.

But again, I just pray to God Snyder drives up to state college pa and offers Bill O Brien a handful of money and perks.

Hail.

What? Just...no GHH. Stop. You're emotional issues with what's going on right now is just completley clouding any kind of logical judgement.

Let's look at personnel.

On offense Shanahan was welcomed to Jason Campbell as his QB option. A broke down 28 y/o Clinton Portis at RB. Now out of the league Devin Thomas and a 30 y/o Santana Moss for WR. TE at least he was coming in with Fred Davis who frankly showed potential but wasn't proven (and still isn't). Stephon Heyer was your left Tackle I believe.

The next coach coming into a cast on offense consisting of Griffin and/or Cousins, Trent Williams, Alfred Morris, Darrell Young, Jordan Reed, and Piere Garcon are in a MUCH better state than we were coming out of 2009.

Defense...

You had Haynesworth, Orakpo, Fletcher, Hall, Carlos, and Landry. Haynesworth...well, I'm not even sure his talent makes him a "good" inheretences given all the crap along with him (and lets not fool ourselves into thinking that wasn't occuring pre-shanahan). The entire fan base was pretty close to ready to run Carlos "stonehands" out of town. Similarly, Landry spent nearly as much time injured for us as active and contributing.

Right now you'd be looking at Kerrigan, Riley, Orakpo, Amerson, an Older Hall, and perhaps Coefield as the possible good "inhereted" pieces.

Is it great? No, but I'd at LEAST say that it's comparable or slightly less than what Shanahan was getting when he took over.

So there's no way I can say we're worse off from a personnel/talent stand point then we were post Zorn. I also can't say we're worse off from an organizational stand point. Rather than being in cap hell, we're going into an off season with a HUGE amount of cap space. Rather than having a plethora of ridiculous horrilbe contracts on older players, a large amount of our core are on reasonable or even rookie contracts. I think organizationally we're better off as well.

I think you're just being emotional if you're honestly believing that the next guy is taking over a worse situation than what was left post Zorn.

ZR. Where it matters most, on the actual field of play, we are worse than what he inherited.

This regime has been worse than Zorns tenure.

Hail.

Well first...

On the actual field of play, I disagree. Best we managed under Jim Zorn was 8-8...on the "actual field of play" here, we won the NFC east for the first time since 1999. I know people like to ignore that or write it off or excuse it but wishing doesn't make reality. Reality is, like this regime or not, on the "actual field of play" they managed to secure a Division championship. That's two games better than Jim Zorn at his best and 3 spots in the division better than he ever achieved. So no, I can't agree with you that on "The actual field of play" that we're worse than in Zorn's tenure.

Second...

"On the actual field of play" isn't where it matters most in regards to talking about the "shape" of a franchise that's being taken over. Last I checked, new coaches don't inheret the old head coach and all of the old head coaches staff. They tend to inherit players. They tend to inherit organizational situations. But they don’t tend to inherit the “actual play on the field” in regards to the way you seem to be talking. In terms of “Shape” the franchise is left in for the next guy, it’s REMARKABLY better than it was post Zorn.

How anyone could seriously and sincerely honestly look at the entire scope of the situation coming into 2010 and suggest they’d prefer that over what they’d be coming into in 2014 is laughable.

The ONLY thing you have going in favor of choosing 2010 would be that you’d have a first round pick.

Instead, with 2014, you’re going in with a legitimate franchise potential QB, a franchise left tackle, a top 10 running back, a low end #1 WR at the start of his prime, and a pro-bowl caliber OLB. And that’s just the under contract guys and not counting some that the jury is still out on like Jordan Reed and Amerson. You have that on top of one of the best cap situations in the entire league for next year.

There’s no conceivable way that you can say that this franchise is in worse shape for the next guy coming in then it was when Shanahan took over.

Right here, right now, this franchise is in a worse situation than what it was 4 years back. 

Result wise. Performance wise. Discipline wise. Leadership wise. Every which way you want to cut it wise. As I type this, he's presiding over a worse situation than the one he inherited. 4 years removed from that. 

And this is a man with 20 years experience. Not a first time HC who never even came here for that position to start with and who had ZERO control compared to the TOTAL control this one has had to make his own mess. 

Hail. 

Archived