Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Bill Parcells and Bill Belicheck (among others) would like to disagree with you on that one. It can work either way but with our defense being the side of the ball which needs the most work I think having a defensive minded HC would not be the worst idea if he has a very good OC to balance things.

So would Pete Caroll.  That being said, I'm onboard for an OC as head coach.  It would be much better for continuity wiht RG3.

Interim? Bobby Turner IF he would do it. Then Haslett IF he would do it. Morris would do it in a heartbeat.

Even though I don't like AJ Smith we need to go ahead and name either him or Bruce Allen GM.

Its time to move on and up.

I'd love it if the next coach kept Bobby Turner as the RB coach.  He's a heck of a coach.

No "who's the next head coach?" talk until a REAL GM is hired.  I WANT A REAL GM FOR F SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ding ding ding ding ding.

Art Briles is the right man for the job. He's proven he can win without RG3. He built a great program at Baylor. And he obviously gets along well with our "franchise" QB.

Art Briles is never moving away from Texas IMO.   He's Texas through and through.  He's succesful because he came up through the Texas State HS level and knows every HS coach in the State.  He's a terrible Defensive Coach and his offense, while good in the Big 12 is not an NFL level offense IMO.   I think it would be a big mistake to hire Briles but it doesn't matter.  Even if Skins Nation wanted to, I doubt you could ever convince him to leave Texas for DC. 

What is the upside for Briles?   There is none IMO.

Obviously, Danny needs to get the FO in shape first. 

Then hire Mike Zimmer. 

This does not need to be all about RG3. If he is the franchise QB we all hope he is, he will grow and excel with a bunch of different OC's out there. I mean, Cam Newton is progressing nicely under a defensive-minded coach.

Bill O'Brien would be a smart hire as well.

The notion that an aspiring HC would turn down a chance to coach any NFL franchise is crazy to me.

Every NFL HC spot is a coveted position.

You don't recall the scenarios in the pre Zorn era? We were hearing that practically every other coach (Schwartz and McDaniels in particular) wouldn't even come for an interview. So we were left choosing between Zorn and Fassell.

I don't think its unreasonable, especially if they're taking the advice of their peers. Listen to what Dungy said. Look at Zorn's reputation. Look at what Shanny's going through. And what Marty went through. Its just like signing a free agent. Some are only interested in the money, but some are interested in protecting their legacy, and going to a stable franchise where they (at least) think they have a chance of winning.

Then hire Mike Zimmer. 

This does not need to be all about RG3. If he is the franchise QB we all hope he is, he will grow and excel with a bunch of different OC's out there. I mean, Cam Newton is progressing nicely under a defensive-minded coach.

I have a strong feeling that Bill O'Brien will be a coach next year. I wish it would be here, but I feel like he's too smart to come here. And honestly for his sake I kinda don't want him to come here.

Unless we hear something to the contrary in the next 24 hours, it is looking to me like Shanny will finish out the season.

Redskins.com has a story about Shanny looking ahead to the next three games. Also, without Shanny and son, we will not have anybody to call plays.

Snyder is pissed, but I think we will have to wait a few weeks before the heads roll.

If Snyder fired Shanny early, he could probably erase any stories about him turning over a new leaf. It'd be the mike nolan and vanilla ice cream all over again. Especially with Shanny's reputation and his contacts throughout the league. He would not speak even moderately of his former boss so he would advise all his friends against coming here. I don't necessarily think he'll be somebody to strongly endorse Danny, but lets remember that he was hired because he was Danny's friend. So for it to do a 180 like this means that there are already some stories, and firing him early would just be the icing on the cake.

You don't recall the scenarios in the pre Zorn era? We were hearing that practically every other coach (Schwartz and McDaniels in particular) wouldn't even come for an interview. So we were left choosing between Zorn and Fassell.

I don't think its unreasonable, especially if they're taking the advice of their peers. Listen to what Dungy said. Look at Zorn's reputation. Look at what Shanny's going through. And what Marty went through. Its just like signing a free agent. Some are only interested in the money, but some are interested in protecting their legacy, and going to a stable franchise where they (at least) think they have a chance of winning.

I remember but I don't think you rememeber. Gibb retired in January around the 8th. Which is late in the game for the interviewing and hiring process. The FO (if you want to call them that was behind the 8-ball). McDaniels was named the Broncos HC around the same time as Gibbs retired he couldn't have even been a candidate. And the Skins weren't backed into choosing Zorn, they actually liked him.

There were other candidates like Mora, Caldwell, Double G Williams, Saunders etc.

I think you are confusing media reports for truth.

And Shanny isn't going through anything. Lets not forget we have historically bad special teams lead by a coach he picked.

League worst defense lead by a guy he picked.

Offense just scored its first scoing drive of the season in Week 13.

Lets not be blind to the facts. Shanny is going through anything except an S storm of his own creation through media leaks designed to deflect attention from the truth.

Shanny is playing 3 card monte and he's moving the cards really, really fast.

I want a coaching/position assistant that has at least 5 years continual NFL experience ... someone int he vain of John Harbaugh or Mike Smith. No DC's or OC's ... no retreads.  Has to come from a well run team though.  

That some one is currently a Dallas Cowboy. Has ties to Bruce Allen in Tampa.

Rich Bisacci

Head Coach - Ken Whisenhunt

OC - Frank Reich

DC - Not sure yet.

Whisenhunt is the OC for the Chargers and Reich is the Chargers QB coach. Rivers has turned it around this year from the last couple seasons. Reich was the QB coach for the Colts in 2009 and 2010 and got to work with Peyton Manning. He then became their WR coach the next year and got to work with our #1 WR Pierre Garcon. In 2012 he worked with Larry Fitzgerald as the Cardinals WR coach.

Good discussion in this thread, but shouldn't the big thread about who our next GM should be precede this one? Isn't that what the Skins actually need? A qualified GM with authority?

Sounds like our next GM is already on staff. Just have to get the circus out of town first and then Secret Squirrel's partner can step up into the role. 

Then hire Mike Zimmer. 

I like this line of thinking as well. Build an elite defense. RG3 is smart and has very strong work ethic. He doesn't need an offensive mastermind to succeed, he just needs someone competent. An elite D keeps pressure low on RG3, allowing him to grow better. RG3 can lead an offense to a 21 point average and that will win a lot of games with an elite D in place.

GM Scott Pioli

HC Josh McDaniels/Tom Clements/Pete Carmichael Jr

OC Brian Dabol/Ken Dorsey

QB Coach: Phillip Montgomery Baylor

DC Romeo Crenel

If a good OC is available: Philbin/Kubiac/Rick Dennison then you can consider a defensive HC Lovie Smith

I keep hearing people mention GM Scott Pioli. Why? He was a failure with the Chiefs and got fired. Prior to that his best part of his resume shows up with the Patriots. Prior to that Jets... they have always sucked. Prior to that Ravens...not sure what the Pro Personel Coordinator does but that was in 96...were the Ravens even good in 96? Prior to that he was with the Browns... the Browns have always sucked. and prior to that a couple of BS college gigs. You can't come up with someone better more proven? 

Isn't Josh McDaniels just a couple years removed from being a bad HC and fired from the Bronco's? Pass. 

I only like one out of your batch and that's the QB coach who currently holds the QB coach position at Baylor. 

What's right with him?  His offenses are entirely average.  I don't get the love for him besides his last name, and if we're playing the last name game, in all honesty, Kyle Shanahan is a better OC.

His offense looks good to me. Being held back by Dalton and still pretty productive.

I keep hearing people mention GM Scott Pioli. Why? He was a failure with the Chiefs and got fired. Prior to that his best part of his resume shows up with the Patriots. Prior to that Jets... they have always sucked. Prior to that Ravens...not sure what the Pro Personel Coordinator does but that was in 96...were the Ravens even good in 96? Prior to that he was with the Browns... the Browns have always sucked. and prior to that a couple of BS college gigs. You can't come up with someone better more proven? 

Isn't Josh McDaniels just a couple years removed from being a bad HC and fired from the Bronco's? Pass. 

I only like one out of your batch and that's the QB coach who currently holds the QB coach position at Baylor.

Pioli built most of this current Chiefs squad. He invested in the lines and brought in lots of talent.

Archived