Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who is the best potential head coach that is available?

MK25toLife

Russ Grimm, because nobody else knows what the **** the Redskins are supposed to be about.

I'm sure whoever is hired as HC would want to bring in his own guys, but it would at least be nice to see him as an O Line coach. He did a good job for us back in the Norval days in developing Jansen and Samuels. He's also coached for a couple SB teams with the Steelers and Cardinals. 

Briles would bomb so hard in the NFL.

If you want a college coach go David Shaw. His style and age translate much better to the pros.

Not here. Snyder would eat him alive, he's too nice. It would be like Zorn again, with better coaching but the same disfunction. Might as well attach strings to Shaw the moment he lands in DC.

GM Bill Polian

HC Ken Whisenhunt

OC Gary Kubiak  "In his 11 seasons with the team, the Broncos amassed 66,501 total yards and 465 touchdowns, the most in the NFL during that span"

DC Lovie Smith

ST Bring back Danny Smith

Cherry on the cheesecake would be a new owner who knows football.

I'm sold on Bill O'Brien (certainly inherited tougher circumstances in Penn State!) or Darrell Bevell. All the other talk about dream assistants should stay right there... the new coach should work with a GM in selecting the staff. Any chance a GM could take the reigns and lead a coach search? If I am Snyder, I give Allen a new title and I offer Scott Pioli a lot of money to come serve as GM. Before you cringe, look at what a lot of guys he selected did to us yesterday!

Tom Clements:

tom-clements-300x242.jpg

• Joined Packers on Jan. 29, 2006. Promoted to offensive coordinator on Feb. 2, 2012.
  • Possesses 20 years of coaching experience, including three seasons as an NFL offensive coordinator.
  • Has been instrumental in the development of QB Aaron Rodgers, who ranks No. 1 in NFL history with a 104.9 career passer rating and earned NFL Most Valuable Player honors in 2011.
  • Prior to Green Bay, spent 10 seasons coaching quarterbacks under some of the game’s most successful coaches, including Bill Cowher, Mike Ditka and Lou Holtz.
  • Played 12 years in the Canadian Football League at quarterback and was a seven-time divisional all-star and two-time Grey Cup champion; was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame in 1994.
  • An All-American at Notre Dame in 1974, he finished fourth in Heisman Trophy balloting that year.

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

--

Interviwed last year for the Bears HC position and Penn State HC

Why I like him:

Maintain some continuity because of similar offensive scheme: WCO, ZBS, verbiage

Former QB can relate to Griffin on a QB to QB level

As OC for the Packer's he puts their gameplans together and brings a in depth understanding of their offense and passing game specifically.

The Packers’ offensive system will remain the same. Head Coach Mike McCarthy will call the plays on game day; Clements will assume all of the other duties, which culminate each week in the creation of the Packers’ offensive game plan.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article_ketchman/article-1/Clements-makes-short-move-to-coordinators-office/a84f03ab-0be1-48c9-a81a-4930d7a8f906

Has developed QBs from Tolzien, Matt Flynn, Aaron Rodgers, Kordell Steward, Tommy Maddox, Elvis Grabac in fact:

under Clements’s tutelage, the Chiefs’ Elvis Grbac (in 2000) and the Steelers’ Kordell Stewart (in 2001) and Tommy Maddox (in 2002) each reached the Pro Bowl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clements

Cons:

Only been an OC for 1 season and does not call plays for the Packers.

But in a WCO team it is not uncommon for QB coaches/nonplaycallers to be hired as HC (e.g. Andy Reid QB coach-nonplaycaller/Philbin non-playcaller).

From 1:30--3:00 McCarthy's QB camp

Darrell Bevell:

131010wilson600a.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrell_Bevell

Under Bevell’s direction in 2011, Seattle’s offense found its identity: running the football. Over the last-half of the season, the Seahawks running game ranked fifth in the NFL with 1,212 rush yards, posting 100-plus team rushing yards in eight of its last nine games, including a six-game streak that was its longest since the 2002-03 seasons.

He stepped into the Packers quarterbacks role in 2003 with solid results. Favre set a career high with a 65.4% completion rate, led the NFL with 32 touchdown passes and earned his eighth career berth in the Pro Bowl.

In 2005, Green Bay led the NFL in completions (383) and attempts (626) and set a team record in both categories. The 2004 Packers set a team record with 4,449 net passing yards, breaking an 11-year old franchise record en route to ranking third in the NFL in total offense. After setting a team record for rushing yards the season before, the Packers became the first NFL team since the 1988-89 San Francisco 49ers to set team marks in rushing and passing in back-to-back seasons.

Along with Favre in his first year in 2000, Bevell worked with Matt Hasselbeck before his trade from Green Bay to Seattle.

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/darrell-bevell/aa003c1d-a3a9-49fe-a252-058db004a066

--Their website bio is not very in depth.

Bevell was key in the development of Russell Wilson and Seattle's offense:

Well, Coach Bevell was a tremendous coach and he does a tremendous job of just leading our football team in terms of our offense," Wilson said during his new conference this week, via the Chicago Tribune.

"His knowledge of the game, his enthusiasm that he brings, his work ethic, he's always here early, always leaving late, he obviously has a love for the game, and he's young. Not too many people can do that at a high level the way he does it. He's coached a lot of great players in his time.

Obviously, I pray that Coach Bevell stays here, but I also pray for the best for him as well. Whatever is best for him and his family, but at the same time he really helped me develop.

What about our interim head coach, to get through the day.

I figure it has to be Haslet or Morris.  I will go with Morris.

Odds that we do the unthinkable and name Kyle.... pays 100:1

It sure as hell is not going to be Burns.

Long term, I don't know but do want a proper GM as the priority.

Russ Grimm, because nobody else knows what the **** the Redskins are supposed to be about.

To me, it seems like going for Grimm is simply driven by Redskins nostalgia.  We need to move on from the 80s.  Grimm might be a fine HC one day, but going for someone like him reminds me of when NC State hired Sidney Lowe to try to recapture Wolfpack pride.  Grimm needs some OC experience.  Hasn't he mainly been an OL coach?

Of the names being thrown around regularly, I would be most content with:

HC - Bevell (has something to prove, knows how to groom young QBs, makes the most of talent)

OC - Kubiak (we have the talent to make use of his system)

DC - Spanos (UCLA, come on)

Kubiak ain't coming here. He's good friends with Mike.

The people saying Briles are so wrong, do NOT bring in a college coach that plays in that conference, it will never work here.

What we need is either a QB guru, or a young up and coming hungry OC. The Browns hired, in my opinion, the best OC on the market in Chud. Hes making Jason Campbell look like Tom Brady. We need a guy like that, not a college gimmick coach. Just because Briles was RG3s coach doesnt mean he is going to be a great coach with him in the NFL. Honestly, I wish we could get Bill O Brien from PSU. He can make RG3 flourish (or even Cousins, I dont care who QBs anymore as long as we start winning). Guys like Bruce Arians and Chud would have been great pick ups, its a shame they are now gone. With that being said, theres not a whole lot of options, the OC from Seattle is impressive to me, but Bill O'Brien would be my #1.

By the way, you hire an offensive HC, and then get the DC. We dont need a DC head coach. Teams that hire great DCs usually have great defenses, Wade Phillips, went to the TExans and turned that D around in 1 year. Carolina DC made that Defense insanely good etc;

By the way, you hire an offensive HC, and then get the DC. We dont need a DC head coach. 

Bill Parcells and Bill Belicheck (among others) would like to disagree with you on that one. It can work either way but with our defense being the side of the ball which needs the most work I think having a defensive minded HC would not be the worst idea if he has a very good OC to balance things.

What about our interim head coach, to get through the day.

I figure it has to be Haslet or Morris.  I will go with Morris.

Odds that we do the unthinkable and name Kyle.... pays 100:1

It sure as hell is not going to be Burns.

Long term, I don't know but do want a proper GM as the priority.

Interim? Bobby Turner IF he would do it. Then Haslett IF he would do it. Morris would do it in a heartbeat.

Even though I don't like AJ Smith we need to go ahead and name either him or Bruce Allen GM.

Its time to move on and up.

@BurgundyBlog: Right now my #1 preference for Shanny's replacement is PSU head coach Bill O'Brien. A good argument for him: http://t.co/nEYqlX1CZs

Nice article about O'Brien.  After reading it, and now knowing much about him myself, he sounds like he'd be a great fit for us!  Just wonder if he has any desire to be at PSU, considering he's only been there a couple of years.

carmichael_bio_card.jpg

Pete Carmichael is in his fifth season as the Saints’ offensive coordinator after tutoring the club’s quarterbacks the previous three years. Throughout this time, he has been a key figure in the planning and preparations of an offensive attack that has been ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, while leading the league in scoring in 2008 and 2009.

'nuff said?

carmichael_bio_card.jpg

Pete Carmichael is in his fifth season as the Saints’ offensive coordinator after tutoring the club’s quarterbacks the previous three years. Throughout this time, he has been a key figure in the planning and preparations of an offensive attack that has been ranked first in the NFL in yardage in four of the last seven seasons, while leading the league in scoring in 2008 and 2009.

'nuff said?

Where do I sign?

Archived