Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

My ES brother. The opinion of a few doesn't equal the "fanbase" as you put it in another post.

I totally agree, as you know.

But the point is, pages and pages ago, I stated "next, some of our fans will turn on Kerrigan". I was scoffed at. Now it's happening.

My point is more general. It's that by and large (and I'm not necessarily referring to anyone within this debate, as much as I disagree with many, and I think they're missing some things, the points here have largely been well formulated by most involved. Even in disagreement, I respect that)

I just wish people would understand that it takes a team to function, and right now our team isn't playing like one. So a lot of the individual pieces look worse than they are. Those are the ropes, I guess. And I'm not offended in the least. It's just saddening that people can't see the forest through the trees.

It is what it is I guess.

Well Dawg. I've come to the conclusion that the Achilles of our defense is our defensive line. Haven't seen the film, but my guess is that they are not eating up space, getting a push, containing gaps, etc. which coincides with the lack of an outside pass rush, which coincides with our poor linebacking play. It would help if the line would flush the QB's out of the pocket to allow 'Rak, Kerrigan, Jackson etc. to apply more pressure.

I've never considered Cofield a NT and Bowen has been as pedestrian as they come. They get paid to do the dirty work so the others can get the glory and it's just not happening.

Not to hit and run again, but that Kerrigan thread is picking up steam. The fan base is turning on him, and it's proof that the majority of fans (not necessarily you guys in this thread) will throw stones at anyone.

Glad DG, Art and Riggo played in a different time...

Anyone who wins a ring for this franchise is welcome in my house.

The only concern I have with letting orakpo walk is the lack of quality depth at LB in Free agency. Rob Jackson is okay, but he isn't anymore dominant then orakpo is, and that's why he's not starting over him.

I don't feel Orakpo is going to break the bank, but if he gets to his head, let him walk. Otherwise, l wouldn't be against keeping him to a reasonable contract just so we don't lose anymore depth at linebacker that we don't have. Who knows, maybe he'll figure it out one day, but he hasn't figured it out yet. Very disappointing...

The only concern I have with letting orakpo walk is the lack of quality depth at LB in Free agency. Rob Jackson is okay, but he isn't anymore dominant then orakpo is, and that's why he's not starting over him.

I don't feel Orakpo is going to break the bank, but if he gets to his head, let him walk. Otherwise, l wouldn't be against keeping him to a reasonable contract just so we don't lose anymore depth at linebacker that we don't have. Who knows, maybe he'll figure it out one day, but he hasn't figured it out yet. Very disappointing...

If you let Orakpo go, that clearly would have to be addressed in the draft. Whoever is the new DC would take point on that.  A lot of it would depend on whether the Skins are sticking with the 3-4. But regardless, the Redskins need to draft someone who can play the linebacker position.

Orakpo as a edge rusher is good. Not great, but he consistently gets upfield and collapses the back of the pocket. Put him on a team with a good push from the interior line and he'd be a great match.

What he has failed to do as a Redskin is learn the linebacker position. He still struggles in screen recognition and run defense. He is still woefully inept in pass coverage. In all honesty, his best use would be in pass rush situations only. He has a high motor and would benefit from the rest.

Looks like Jason Peters will be out for the Eagles. ANOTHER backup LT for Orakpo... 

Sundays game might possibly come down to that matchup. Rak has to get pressure on Foles often. Foles plays like **** when pressured.

This is the perfect opportunity for Rak to demonstrate he has the ability to disrupt an offensive game plan. This is a must win game. Shows us what you got Rak.

HTTR

Get the Eagles to wear silver and black Sunday, and Foles to stand like a statue utterly clueless under center; and you may be onto something.

Hail.

Eagles fans are getting too much joy outta Foles' play. I want to see him knocked down a peg... then their fans can go back to their booing ways :)

I can't believe we resigned him because we felt like he deserved to be paid in spite of his play becoming worse

For all that we could've just hired him as a coach and paid him. We wouldn't miss his leadership because he would've been in a leadership role on the sideline

We re-signed Fletch to a 2 year deal before the 2012 season and at that point his play had not become worse. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/1680/london-fletcher

2012 the first half of the season he wasn't that good, but the 2nd half he was great and earned his contract. This season the wheels have completely fell off. If it weren't for the cap penalty the team probably would have let him retire after 2011 instead of continually contacting him, trying to coax him to come back for a couple more seasons. 

I was on the resign rak bandwagon, but after how his season has panned out, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him walk this offseason. I don't know if its him or the d line to blame, but he hasn't brought much to the table this year.

The defense as a whole seemed to play better last year with rjax in.. maybe raks money would be better spent on another position.

Doesn't help that fletch has completely fallen off a cliff either :(

In any event, maybe its time for a change. Dude is a good player, just doesn't live up to his draft status by making impact plays.. they are few and far between.

I would like to see continuity and keep Orakpo with the team. He has done much better in the run game and finding other ways to impact the game when not recording sacks. The part I get lost is what to pay him next year. 

Does anyone have comparable players to Orakpo and their price tags over the past few years?? I really just know but 7 million a year sounds about right off the top of my head. 

I actually think 98 has a great game today.  Call it a hunch because that's all I have, lol.

I think he normally gets in the backfield against Peters or whoever he faces, but he never finished because of the QBs mobility.  Hopefully Foles is the remedy for this.

I have the FA thread ready to drop right after the game if it goes the wrong way.

I actually think 98 has a great game today.  Call it a hunch because that's all I have, lol.

I think he normally gets in the backfield against Peters or whoever he faces, but he never finished because of the QBs mobility.  Hopefully Foles is the remedy for this.

I have the FA thread ready to drop right after the game if it goes the wrong way.

OT Jason Peters is expected to get the start.

Source: Footballguys.com

Tough loss today, this year is a learning experience, I'm not too bummed.

At least Orakpo shut the haters up today with 5 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 1 stuff, and 2 QB hits. And some nice work against the run game.

The tackle and sack gap between him and Kerrigan is closing fast. Will they suddenly both be the most overrated redskin?

I think both are good players but neither is great. Wouldn't mind seeing Orapko back for the right price if only to see what he can do with a defensive coordinator that isn't garbage. We saw him get a sack on a stunt today in which he and Kerrigan lined up on the same side. I didn't think Jimmy Hasnot had it in him.

GHH's Top 10 Redskins Pass Rushers (Liberty taking with 'rushers' per se in some cases.):

All Time::                         Players I've Watched in my 31 years as a fan. 

1.   Dexter Manley.           1.   Dexter Manley.  

2.   CHarles Mann,           2.   Charles Mann,

3.   Chris Hamburger.      3.   Bruce Smith. . 

4.   Gene Brito.                4.   Ken Harvey.

5.   Dave Butz.                 5.   Dave Butz.. 

6.   Ken Harvey.               6.   Andre Carter.  

7.   Diron Talbert..           7.    Brian Orakpo. 

8    Monte Coleman.         8.   Ryan Kerrigan. 

9    Bruce Smith.              9.    Dan Wilkinson.

10  Wilber Marshall.        10.   Wilber Marshall. 

Both lists subject to change as I think on them more. 

Hail. 

That's a reasonable list.  But I kinda think the legend of Ken Harvey has grown over time.  And I love Ken Harvey, don't get me wrong, but I think when it's all said and done, Orakpo will have a mirror image career.  They'll pretty much be the same guy.  Orakpo supposedly only has one move and he gets to the QB about as much as Harvey, who talks like he's the man of 1000 pass rush moves.  Strictly as a Redskin, I don't think he got to the QB any more than Orakpo does.  In terms of sacks, their Redskin sack totals will probably be almost identical. 

That's a reasonable list.  But I kinda think the legend of Ken Harvey has grown over time.  And I love Ken Harvey, don't get me wrong, but I think when it's all said and done, Orakpo will have a mirror image career.  They'll pretty much be the same guy.  Orakpo supposedly only has one move and he gets to the QB about as much as Harvey, who talks like he's the man of 1000 pass rush moves.  Strictly as a Redskin, I don't think he got to the QB any more than Orakpo does.  In terms of sacks, their Redskin sack totals will probably be almost identical. 

I agree.  I would say Harvey was better in coverage than Orakpo currently.

Archived