Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

You already know what's going to happen, right?

STEP ONE: Orakpo will be let go, Extremeskins will cheer

STEP TWO: Orakpo will be picked up by perennial powerhouse such as (PICK ONE) A) Ravens B) Seahawks C) Patriots

STEP THREE: Orakpo will have multiple, multiple-sack games, be voted all-league, all-world, Pro-Bowl MVP

STEP FOUR: Extremeskins users wonder, how did we let another one go???

Rocky McIntosh showed us, too.

I realize I said I was done with this thread, and I still am, but I saw this post and figured I'd post it here... As I surmised earlier in this thread, the fan base is now turning on Kerrigan... It's not to mutiny levels yet, but it exists.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373626-quinn-versus-kerrigan/

It's not funny, either. We are, as a whole in the football world, the most fickle group of people out there. It's really easy to forget the good times when you're mired in the bad.

Kerrigan is a very good football player. Threads like that make me want to yank my hair out of my head. And most that criticize likely don't even know the different between an assignment on a spill technique and a force technique.

I called it lol

Umm, that thread is hardly a bash on kerrigan, it's more praise for quinn. Yes, I'd rather we stuck at 10 and chose watt too. Nobody in that thread is saying we should get rid of kerrigan, or even that kerrigan is playing poorly! So let's tap the brakes a bit.

It would be like a thread about chris samuels vs tom brady at #2 overall in 2000. Loved samuels for our team, but only an absolute homer chooses him over brady.

"Never quite understood the love affair with Kerrigan. He's extremely mediocre in all facets of the game. I don't feel like D-coordinaotrs "game plan" for him like they do for Orakpo- at least from what we've heard with Haslett mentioning in press conferences that Brian is chipped quite frequently. That right there says it all. "

"Kerrigan is a good player, but not great. He's like a "B-" player at best. He never lines up against LT's and he has only a so-so bull rush as his best pass rush move. He does force turnovers, however, and that cannot be overlooked.          "

Yes there is, GHH. I said people would turn on Kerrigan, I got ridiculed for it, they're doing it, and now "Orakpo has earned it". Good lord.

Nevermind the fact Kerrigan hasn't had one season as productive as Rak's best yet. (And yes, I still think Kerrigan is the better OLB). And dammit, I'm posting about Rak in this damn thread again. Going to scurry away now before I get caught up again.

You lost me Coach with 'never had one season as productive as Raks best yet' line.

Hail.

I agree with him, though it's close. And I also agree that Kerringan is better though again it's close.

And I still think Orakpo leaving as a FA is the best plan for the team (though the better plan was to deal him for picks at the deadline.

"Never quite understood the love affair with Kerrigan. He's extremely mediocre in all facets of the game. I don't feel like D-coordinaotrs "game plan" for him like they do for Orakpo- at least from what we've heard with Haslett mentioning in press conferences that Brian is chipped quite frequently. That right there says it all. "

"Kerrigan is a good player, but not great. He's like a "B-" player at best. He never lines up against LT's and he has only a so-so bull rush as his best pass rush move. He does force turnovers, however, and that cannot be overlooked. "

Well, some people are dumb. The fact he thinks other teams fear orakpo more because of coach speak defending orakpo says all you need to know about that guy's perspective.

As to not having a season as productive as orakpo's best, I strongly disagree. Maybe not in sacks (orakpo did have a better d around him that year), but look at the number of impact plays he makes. I'd take fewer sacks from orakpo if he created more turnovers. Kerrigan has easily outplayed orakpo at this point in their careers.

Anybody watching Ware tonight? Holy cow. It's depressing to see what an elite pass rusher can do and realize that we have nothing close to it. And let's not talk about scheme or inside help or anything. Ware is just straight up jumping the snap and beating his man one on one, consistently, on almost half of the pass plays. Brees is getting crushed on simple 3 step drops where he doesn't hold the ball.

Anybody watching Ware tonight? Holy cow. It's depressing to see what an elite pass rusher can do and realize that we have nothing close to it. And let's not talk about scheme or inside help or anything. Ware is just straight up jumping the snap and beating his man one on one, consistently, on almost half of the pass plays. Brees is getting crushed on simple 3 step drops where he doesn't hold the ball.

Ware has 1 sack and is going up against a sorry excuse for a left tackle, hardly dominant. Albeit he is playing hurt and showing toughness in doing so.

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/2679/redskins-mailbag-2

@john_keim #redskinsmailbag Thought our front 7 was better (preseason). How does Rob Jackson not get on the field more. Fletch is done.
Nov. 9, 2013
  • Favorite
Keim: I thought so, too, about the front seven, that it would generate more pressure. Stephen Bowen has played well overall, but is not getting to the passer like I thought he would with the return of Orakpo and the improvement of Barry Cofield. But this isn’t about one person. As for Jackson, it’s because he’s not as good as the two in front of him and therefore if you put him in, you remove a better player and not every situation calls for three outside linebackers in the game (nor should it). Jackson does not command the same level of attention as others. But he can help and he does have value; I wonder if down the stretch we’ll see him more just because they could use more from the rush.

Rak may be the most self over hyping Redskin. Lets stay on topic for one day. Who is his competition? 

We hear about the "steal of the draft". Too many times to count. We had people implying Kory or Monty or both were the best at their positions in our division. We hear Shanahan talking up his TEs like they are in the Sharpe class. Sorry, but even Jordan has a little ways to go yet. RG3 gets plenty of hype, of course.  Kerrigan gets plenty of hype. Cofield. Hall. Jenkins. Robinson hyped up... dominating. Yeah, in practice, when he will not get hit. Morris gets a ton of hype, but he is a Shanahan back.

This thread may need to kind of.... get over Rak. He is what he is. 

Who are the 5 most over hyped players?   Is anyone willing to go out on a limb.

I called it lol

Oh but when I started calling out posters for being fickle in the D.Hall thread you and others came at my neck about it and now you're saying "You called it" ?

I'm glad were both in agreement people are wayyyyyyyyy too fickle on this board, 3 quiet games from kerrigan and now he's being turned on. 

I still can't believe some posters went from hating D.Hall to feeling it would be a smart decision to give Deangelo Hall a multi year $8 million a year deal....... hahahahaha 

On this team?

Orakpo, Cousins, Cofield, Montgomery and Robinson IMHO. With special mention to Perry Riley who just is regressing and nowhere near ready to fill Fletcher's boots. 

Hail. 

Damn I forgot Cousins. He can fetch 2 firsts, you know. 

Honorable Mention last year goes to Niles Paul. Shannon Sharpe was his ceiling, gunner on teams, dominating. Reality check. Blocking TE with stone hands. Does fill in well as a KR when needed.

Damn I forgot Cousins. He can fetch 2 firsts, you know.

Honorable Mention last year goes to Niles Paul. Shannon Sharpe was his ceiling, gunner on teams, dominating. Reality check. Blocking TE with stone hands. Does fill in well as a KR when needed.

I purposefully left off Swiss Army Niles as how can you overrate perfection?

Hail.

Archived