Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quinn Versus Kerrigan

Capsman

I like Kerrigan's all around game, but he disappears a lot in the flow of the game. I think Haslett isn't utilizing the personnel the best way, but Quinn is an absolute monster. I'd take him in a heartbeat over anyone on our defense. He's also 2 years younger then Kerrigan, he probably has more untapped potential. 

We were targeting Quinn but the Rams took him before we could pick so at that pick we didn't even have the option of taking Quinn. We traded down from 10th pick. I would still choose to trade down and have extra picks and Kerrigan over taking Quinn 10th overall. Kerrigan isn't the problem on defense, he's one of the bright spots.

Quinn went two picks ahead of us, so I'm not sure the point of this. It seems like asking if people regret us not taking Andrew Luck instead of Griffin.

If you mean that we should have stayed put at 10, then JJ Watt is the obvious choice.

Are you sure JJ Watt is the obvious choice? Not sure how you can say that when he has one of the best D Coordinators in football and we have haslett who has shown to be inept. I supported this guy the first few years but his time is up IMO.

With better coaching and a better overall team there is no telling how good kerrigan could be. I have said since the beginning Orakpo is barely average. he had one good year and that's it. As far as Kerrigan disappearing in games, it could be because all the double and triple teams are going his way since no one else on the team accept maybe Jackson scares anyone.

Anyway, this is a moot point. Quinn was gone at 16. The only comparison you can draw is not Quinn to Kerrigan but Quinn to Kerrigan plus all the extra draft picks we got like the one we used to Pick Roy Helu.

Are you sure JJ Watt is the obvious choice? Not sure how you can say that when he has one of the best D Coordinators in football and we have haslett who has shown to be inept. I supported this guy the first few years but his time is up IMO.

With better coaching and a better overall team there is no telling how good kerrigan could be. I have said since the beginning Orakpo is barely average. he had one good year and that's it. As far as Kerrigan disappearing in games, it could be because all the double and triple teams are going his way since no one else on the team accept maybe Jackson scares anyone.

Anyway, this is a moot point. Quinn was gone at 16. The only comparison you can draw is not Quinn to Kerrigan but Quinn to Kerrigan plus all the extra draft picks we got like the one we used to Pick Roy Helu.

Yes, it's obvious. Watt is a better player than Quinn or Kerrigan and it's not really close.

It's the '09 draft you need to ask this question on and just who we passed on for Orakpo.

Hail. 

This is the right conversation. Some of the names available:  Jeremy Maclin - Percy Harvin - Micheal Oher - Vontae Davis - Clay Matthews - Donald Brown  - Hakeem Nicks

Over 18% of raks total sacks have come in 2 games against Oakland. He finished the last 2 seasons on IR for the same injury. Finally, from what I see, Rob Jackson is a much better all around player the Orakpo. Rak might be stronger, but he is one dimensional and in the end just plain does not produce.

Just think if we had Trent Williams on the LT and Micheal Oher at RT (a much better position for him despite the movie). Talk about book ends!!  How about Clay Matthews across from Kerrigan????  Vontae Davis has not played too bad.

Yes, it's obvious. Watt is a better player than Quinn or Kerrigan and it's not really close.

No it's not obvious considering they are on different teams with different support and a different coaching. Saying it's not really close is not realistic either. That would saying Kerrigan is a bust. Is that what you are saying? Both are good players. Watt may be a little better, but he went 11th not 16th. But to say its not really close??  That's a huge exaggeration.

They put Watt in much better situations to succeed with much better players around him and a much better DC! Switch places and see what happens. BTW: Ask people in Houston, Watt tends to disappear in big games. How about last years playoffs? in 2 games 1.5 sacks? 9 tackles?   Not exactly pro-bowl stuff.

No it's not obvious considering they are on different teams with different support and a different coaching. Saying it's not really close is not realistic either. That would saying Kerrigan is a bust. Is that what you are saying? Both are good players. Watt may be a little better, but he went 11th not 16th. But to say its not really close??  That's a huge exaggeration.

They put Watt in much better situations to succeed with much better players around him and a much better DC! Switch places and see what happens. BTW: Ask people in Houston, Watt tends to disappear in big games. How about last years playoffs? in 2 games 1.5 sacks? 9 tackles?   Not exactly pro-bowl stuff.

So many ridiculous things in one post....

-Never said Kerrigan was a bust . That's a straw man and pure nonsense.

-Watt draws constant double teams. The scheme or talent around him has nothing to do with his production. Look at the talent on that front 7, it's really mediocre once Cushing goes down as he has two years in a row.

-Watt's better because of his Coordinator? That's beyond silly.

-Watt's the Defensive Player of the Year, Kerrigan made the Pro Bowl after others had to drop out. No, it is not close.

-Watt's a choker because he had "only 1.5 sacks in 2 playoff games? You can not be serious. He has 5 sacks in 4 career playoff games, btw. Kerrigan had 4 tackles, no sacks, no TFL in his one playoff game for the record. 

Never quite understood the love affair with Kerrigan. He's extremely mediocre in all facets of the game. I don't feel like D-coordinaotrs "game plan" for him like they do for Orakpo- at least from what we've heard with Haslett mentioning in press conferences that Brian is chipped quite frequently. That right there says it all. 

to be quite frank, I'm sick of looking at our bad players and wishing for what we might have had in that position, so that should really say what I feel about our looking at our good players and doing the same.

We need a thumbs down option for posts here.

This forum really hurts my head. Our fan base turns on pretty much all of our players when things get bad, but when things are good we sing their praises.

It's a what have you done for me lately world.

Orakpo, Griffin, and now Kerrigan.

Losing sucks.

Never quite understood the love affair with Kerrigan. He's extremely mediocre in all facets of the game. I don't feel like D-coordinaotrs "game plan" for him like they do for Orakpo- at least from what we've heard with Haslett mentioning in press conferences that Brian is chipped quite frequently. That right there says it all. 

....really dude? All he does is make plays. 

This post is nuts.

This forum really hurts my head. Our fan base turns on pretty much all of our players when things get bad, but when things are good we sing their praises.

It's a what have you done for me lately world.

Orakpo, Griffin, and now Kerrigan.

Losing sucks.

So true, KDawg - the top two posts the last few days: Keep Shanahan and Fire Everyone Please Danny! 

This board cracks me up sometimes - it's no wonder why I stay away from this board for a while after a loss.  Too many people on the ledge.  Go get some fresh air...

I don't regret the kerrigan pick anymore then I regret the orakpo pick.  At the time, picking Orakpo was a no-brainer, it just didn't work.  And let's face it, Kerrigan's production in the sack department can be directly attributed to his bookend not getting it done either.  Having said that, dude does need to be more productive anyway, but the only guy on the roster with more pick-6 plays the last couple years then him is DHall, and he's a corner back.

Archived