Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quinn Versus Kerrigan

Capsman

I think we are judging Kerrigan based not on what he was drafted for.

When Kerrigan was drafted, he was thought to be a pure pass rusher that would take advantage of Orakpo demanding all sorts of attention.  What has happened is Orakpo has not elevated his game to the point where Kerrigan is constantly left one on one.

See the problem here is we have basically two of the same guy in Rak/Kerrigan as far as rushing the passer goes.  I believe both are solid but unspectacular. 

Where Kerrigan has the edge is he seems to make a lot more non-pass rush plays.  His awareness and ability to be in positions to play the ball are better than Orakpo's.

What the pass rush needs is someone who is DOMINANT.  Who the opposing O-line is going to have to put an extra guy against every passing down.

The 49ers have a Justin Smith who is always double-teamed, leaving a lane open for Aldon Smith and/or a LB to have a free run at the QB.

When was the last time you saw a guy on our defense have an open path to the QB?  It seems rare as there always seems to be enough free blockers to take on the blitz.

One year later this post seems still quite relevant.

I do like what I've seen from Kerrigan this year though. Kid plays hard.

Would not been able to draft Quinn anyway. He was taken 2 spots ahead of us. Draft do over we should have stayed at #10 and pick J.J. Watt. Would have picked Brooks Reed over Jarvis Jenkins in the 2nd rd. But we all have 20/20.

I like Ryan and Brain. It is the coaches I have a problem with.

Archived