Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

You'd be called 74OHER74 from that '09 draft if I were.  ;)

Hail. 

I think I would rather regurgitate than have that SN.

fwiw, we tried to include him in the package to the Rams for Robert Griffin, III and they wouldn't give us 1st or 2nd round credit for him.

Which is why we had to spend all picks in the trade.

As hard as that may be for some to believe in here.

I know that isn't true, the Rams already had Chris Long and Robert Quinn.

I'm at the point now where I wouldn't offer him anything. 

Why keep on paying and persisting with a 5 year vet who doesn't produce?

Hail. 

Ide give him Vet minimum + incentives until a real pass rusher is acquired.

Sorry 98, 

Touching Rodgers after he falls and a good game against the Raiders is not production.  No sacks in the last 4 games.  

Rivers did not get rid of it too quick. SEVERAL times he stepped through traffic and made plays beyond 5 seconds with the ball.

I can't remember the last time Orakpo got to a quarterback for a sack in under 4 seconds.  Anyone want to point out the last time that happened?  Or how many times he has done it in his career.  I only remember one against Cam Newton in 2011 i believe.....he was left unblocked.

2014 prediction - Kerrigan starts first four weeks with just one sack and gets a thread just like this. 

God, this response AGAIN.  Listen, Kerrigan has made plays throughout his career.  In 2 years he has about the same amount of forced fumbles, ints, and pass deflections as Orakpo has had in 5.  We aren't jumping on Orakpo for having just one bad season.  He has been rather average for his entire career.  And then throw on the injuries on top of it, why should we sign this guy longterm again?

I dont want to raise it again but KDawg really has never dogged or Naysayed Rob Jackson it was an interesting and valid point that the sack Jackson had on sunday was questionalble - from a statistics point of view - His comments IMO took nothing away from the play on the field and I am sure to be honest with you the only people who would be upset if it was called a sack or a tackle reside within the small confines of this message board . It was a good play - it contributed to us winning - an interesting aside - I think the page and half of labasting the guy for mentioning it was a little over the top ...

The other thing I wanted to say (well there was another - seriously GHH given the way Oher has played since 2010 and flip flopping from right to left then right tackle again and (most probably to FA fairly soon) the fact he has struggled mightily you would still take him - AT 13 over anyone else - weird) Sorry the other thing I wanted to say was in reponse to this

Laron Burgandy said "He has been rather average for his entire career."

2009 - 3rd In the DROY voting made the 2009 all rookie team, selected to his first Probowl NFC defensive player of the week

2010 - Second Pro Bowl (as an alternate - played when Mathews dropped out)

2011 - NFC Defensive player of the week selected as an alternate for the Probowl but did not play becasue of injury

2012 - Injured in week 2

2013 - This

Throughout his carear statistically when he has been healthy (in 2010 and 2011) he has been comparable to the Pittsburgh LB (which is kind of understandable given we play a version of that defense .

In 2012 he was playing real well (in the 2 games) and Kerrigan disappeared for large stretch as he kind of went through a mini sophmore slump after Orakpo went down to the point he was getting versions of this very thread in the stadium ..

The NFL is very much what have you done for me today - and the last couple of pages of comments were based on the perceived poor game against San Deigo but stop making **** up - it makes you look stupid ...

Orakpo will finish the season with double digit sacks, not to mention adding more stats like passes defensed etc. He's making an impact this season just by being on the field, a true upgrade over #50 that is for sure.

I didn't see this past game sadly because I was attending a family reunion, but from what I gather, Orakpo didn't have much time to get to the QB because Rivers was getting rid of the ball quick, as well as being shifty in the pocket. Rak is still, along with Kerrigan, our best defensive player, although Hall is making a case this season as well.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000277009/Orakpo-We-re-in-a-good-spot-right-now

Upgrade over Rob Jackson???? IMHO they are equal Jackson makes plays in the backfield and theres no way Orakpo picks off Romo in the last game of the season last year just face reality Orakpos only good skill is getting to the quarterback and that ones iffy at best all I ever see him do is try to bull rush the tackle into the qb..

I can't remember the last time Orakpo got to a quarterback for a sack in under 4 seconds.  Anyone want to point out the last time that happened?  Or how many times he has done it in his career.  I only remember one against Cam Newton in 2011 i believe.....he was left unblocked.

I believe he was unblocked and sacked Cam Newton back in 2011 (Newton's rookie year).  Ironic that you brought this up... because this was THE moment where I was like... "Orakpo just went unblocked and blindsided a rookie QB and didn't force a fumble."  That was the clincher for me.

And to be fair, I know Cam is an animal, my brother is an Auburn alum and I watched every game with him the season before and knew all about Cam and how strong he is.  But Newton should've been blowing snot bubbles on a play like that.  I believe the next play went for a TD.

Even if we did try to do that, it should be no surprise a team with two above average DEs didn't place a high value on acquiring another one.

There's no doubt that had something to do with it, man.  And they have two freaks at DE both of whom are better than ours (to an extent, I actually think Kerrigan has some of the better ball skills in the NFL as an OLB).

It's just more to the overvaluing aspect that we are all guilty of, including me.

Like the reason we lost out on Cutler was because Denver liked Orton better than Campbell and that whole bit. 

I will say it is interesting that a guy like Fisher didn't see any value in Orakpo though, especially when he could line a guy like long up inside in that wide 9 and put Quinn and Orakpo outside.  But your point is spot on.

I agree that Kerrigan is the more consistent OLB.  As you've noted the stat totals don't necessarily tell the entire story.  One yard can make the difference between being credited with a sack or just a good tackle.  For Kerrigan versus Orakpo it definitely looks though that Kerrigan is being consistently productive:

Philly - Kerrigan 1 sack and 1 FF    Orakpo - zip

GB    - Kerrigan 2 sacks                  Orakpo - 1 sack

Det   - Kerrigan 1 Pass Deflected    Orakpo - zip

Oak - Kerrigan 2 sacks 1 FF            Orakpo - 2 sacks, 2 PDEF

Dal - Kerrigan zip                           Orakpo - zip

Chi - Kerrigan 1/2 sack                    Orakpo 1 PDEF, 1 INT

Den   Kerrigan 1 sack, 1 FF              Orakpo  1 PDEF

SD   Kerrigan zip                             Orakpo - zip

The Dallas and San Diego OLs shut down both OLB but Orakpo had no pass rush/defense stats also against Detroit or Philly.  If Kerrigan keeps it up he'll be at 10+ sacks for the year. That's not considered elite but Haslett would be content if both he and Orakpo were up in that range.  Since it looks like Orakpo will never get to the elite sack levels I don't think he's worth a top contract.  There will be some interesting discussions in the offseason with free agent possibilities and draft needs/wants.   

Thankfully the internets were not around during the Mann/Manley debates, wait, there were no debates, just celebrates,lol. 

Call it extreme, call it a knee jerk reaction, call it what you will, but if I was GM, I would trade Orakpo and try to get a 1st rounder immediately before he keeps dropping off the radar. We are fine with just Kerrigan as our primary rusher. Rob Jackson Perry Riley are honestly playing just as good as Rak. The pass rusher DE/OLB is the most overrated position in football. Unless your Suh, or Aldon Smith, or someone of their caliber, its a waste of a 1st round pick. Trade the pick, get a skill position or a safety.

Call it extreme, call it a knee jerk reaction, call it what you will, but if I was GM, I would trade Orakpo and try to get a 1st rounder immediately before he keeps dropping off the radar. We are fine with just Kerrigan as our primary rusher. Rob Jackson Perry Riley are honestly playing just as good as Rak. The pass rusher DE/OLB is the most overrated position in football. Unless your Suh, or Aldon Smith, or someone of their caliber, its a waste of a 1st round pick. Trade the pick, get a skill position or a safety.

No one is going to trade a 1st for a guy that isn't playing up to his own draft pick status.  Be lucky for a 2nd, I could see a 3rd at best right now.

No one is going to trade a 1st for a guy that isn't playing up to his own draft pick status.  Be lucky for a 2nd, I could see a 3rd at best right now.

Probably the best you would get but that ship has sailed anyway. We can't trade him now. I just hope we don't sign him to a big contract this offseason. I'm actually pretty nervous about that happening. 

Probably the best you would get but that ship has sailed anyway. We can't trade him now. I just hope we don't sign him to a big contract this offseason. I'm actually pretty nervous about that happening. 

Oh yeah, forgot deadline already passed - this season is flying by. 

Yeah I hope they don't overspend.  He hasn't been able to prove anything since coming back from the 2 pec injuries.  I would be ok with a 1 or 2 year prove it contract in the range of 5-6M per.

For those who think the expectations of Orakpo are unrealistic by many,
here is what Jim Haslett said about Orakpo a couple weeks ago versus
when the season started. It's startling to hear how far even Orakpo's biggest backer
in Haslett has changed his expectations.

After the Denver game when asked about Orakpo's lack of production, Haslett brushed
it off by saying he was playing well, getting double teamed and that he
wasn't concerned by the lack of sacks.

Haslett said "“Last week he got chipped 22 times. The tight end was
there 22 times. So that’ll tell you something about who everybody
thinks … has the ability to get a lot of sacks. They were trying to
take Brian out of the game. So he got chipped a lot. He got hit a lot.
That kind of happens."

So Haslett says that defenses pay extra attention to Brian Orakpo what
a revelation! Other supposedly elite pass rushers get double teamed or
chipped all the time and still manage to get sacks and be a
consistently disruptive force.

Jim Haslett is backing up his player which is what a coach is supposed
to do. Trying to explain why his star pass rusher isn't producing.

Unfortunately it was just a few months ago before the season where
Haslett was singing a completely different tune. Haslett is obviously
smart enough to realize Orakpo would get double teamed, held, chipped
and all the other things that all the top pass rushers in the NFL have
to fight through yet he predicted greatness.

Here is what Haslett said about what he thought about Orakpo and his
ability in an SI article before the season ----

Washington defensive coordinator Jim Haslett believes the guy everyone
calls "Rak'' has the potential to rack up a 17- or 18-sack season.
"If he puts his mind to it, he could get that easily,'' Haslett said.

"He had 11 sacks as a rookie in 2009, and he probably missed six or
seven others that were there for the taking. He's looked great so far.
All I know is we had 41 sacks in 2011, and 32 sacks last year, and
there's a reason for that.''

So, again Jim Haslett believes Orakpo could EASILY get 17 or 18 sacks
"if he puts his mind to it"

Well halfway through the season Orakpo is on pace for 6 sacks, or 1/3
of the number his coach feels is easily attainable.

Orakpo has not missed any games and his effort by all accounts is
consistent. Have not heard any teammates, coaches or fans say that
Orakpo doesn't try hard and play with full effort to help the team win.

So all that leaves is that Orakpo is significantly underachieving to
what his own defensive coordinator feels is "easily" attainable. It's
not just unreasonable fans expecting too much from Orakpo. Haslett has
gone from boldy stating Orakpo could easily get 17-18 sacks to making
excuses and trying to rationalize his glaring lack of production.

It's Orakpo's own words about being a DPOY candidate and his own
defensive coach saying that he could easily be having a 17-18 sack
season that set the barometer for Orakpo's expectations.

Not much else to say other than Orakpo needs to seriously step it up
starting Thursday night against Minnesota.

"He had 11 sacks as a rookie in 2009, and he probably missed six or

seven others that were there for the taking. He's looked great so far.

All I know is we had 41 sacks in 2011, and 32 sacks last year, and

there's a reason for that.''

The reason for that is the dude in my avi is coaching at UCLA right now...

But great write-up there jadams

I dont want to raise it again but KDawg really has never dogged or Naysayed Rob Jackson it was an interesting and valid point that the sack Jackson had on sunday was questionalble - from a statistics point of view - His comments IMO took nothing away from the play on the field and I am sure to be honest with you the only people who would be upset if it was called a sack or a tackle reside within the small confines of this message board . It was a good play - it contributed to us winning - an interesting aside - I think the page and half of labasting the guy for mentioning it was a little over the top ...

The other thing I wanted to say (well there was another - seriously GHH given the way Oher has played since 2010 and flip flopping from right to left then right tackle again and (most probably to FA fairly soon) the fact he has struggled mightily you would still take him - AT 13 over anyone else - weird) Sorry the other thing I wanted to say was in reponse to this

Laron Burgandy said "He has been rather average for his entire career."

2009 - 3rd In the DROY voting made the 2009 all rookie team, selected to his first Probowl NFC defensive player of the week

2010 - Second Pro Bowl (as an alternate - played when Mathews dropped out)

2011 - NFC Defensive player of the week selected as an alternate for the Probowl but did not play becasue of injury

2012 - Injured in week 2

2013 - This

Throughout his carear statistically when he has been healthy (in 2010 and 2011) he has been comparable to the Pittsburgh LB (which is kind of understandable given we play a version of that defense .

In 2012 he was playing real well (in the 2 games) and Kerrigan disappeared for large stretch as he kind of went through a mini sophmore slump after Orakpo went down to the point he was getting versions of this very thread in the stadium ..

The NFL is very much what have you done for me today - and the last couple of pages of comments were based on the perceived poor game against San Deigo but stop making **** up - it makes you look stupid ...

Stupid is pointing to pro bowls as if they aren't glorified popularity contests. How bout Richard Sherman last year? No pro bowl, he clearly wasn't the absolute best at his position. How about the pro bowls Roy Williams went to? That guy was a great safety for sure!

Lesson to be learned: don't use a popularity contest for an idiotic argument on someone's career.

I think Haslett can take a piece of the blame on the Rak struggles.  What other teams do is plan for those doubles/chips/etc. - it doesn't seem like we do.  You never see stunts or moving our rushers around, when the offense knows where Rak is going to be every time, the light bulb needs to go off and say "hey, how can I get Rak to the QB?  Where can I move him?  What stunts can we run to get him the best chance?"

I think Haslett can take a piece of the blame on the Rak struggles.  What other teams do is plan for those doubles/chips/etc. - it doesn't seem like we do.  You never see stunts or moving our rushers around, when the offense knows where Rak is going to be every time, the light bulb needs to go off and say "hey, how can I get Rak to the QB?  Where can I move him?  What stunts can we run to get him the best chance?"

Great point. Offenses know three things about the Redskins defense: 1) Safety help over the top is questionable at best  2) Fletcher is slower than a one-legged elephant shot with a tranquilizer dart so exploit the middle and 3) Rak and Kerrigan are going to rush straight upfield on the tackles outside shoulder on every single passing down. 

Pretty easy to draw up a gameplan around that. 

Archived