Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

I think everyone understands your point.  We all saw the play, we know it might not be a 10 yd loss sack, regardless it was a great play.  There's no need to say it's not really a sack, doing so, appears subjective in my opinion.  I've enjoyed reading both sides of this discussion for quite some time, and appreciate a lot of the different points you've brought to the discussion, this is not one of them.

Totally, 100% disagree here.

Did you also see the numerous times I noted how good of a play it was? Or did you merely see that I said it wasn't a sack and thought it was a poor point?

Remember, you're talking to a guy that doesn't think sacks are as important as many believe. Saying it's not a sack isn;t a knock. And your response reiterates that you're not quite understanding where I'm coming from.

I stick by my point, regardless of if it's a recorded sack or not.

Great play, one that really helped us in that situation and was necessary.

*shrug*

And yes, I would have said the same if it was Rak.

It is what it is Coach. You can't argue against that. The rights and wrongs of it in your opinion by all means. But ultimately it is what it is. 

A sack. 

Hail. 

This is very frustrating. Isn't that what I'm doing? Stating my opinion?

And in doing so, haven't I made it clear by saying things like, "I think" in my statements?

Clearly, if it's a recorded sack in the stats book, then it's a recorded sack. But as I've said numerous times, there's context within statistics. I think I've been consistent in that statement. And I STILL stand by MY opinion that it wasn't a sack, but it was an outstanding play.

It's crazy how even when I give credit for the play, people think I'm naysaying him.

I know exactly how you feel there, buddy :)

But, fwiw... when you say that it was a good play (and on said play a sack is awarded to 50) and then you come in and annoint that it wasn't a sack... well... that is naysaying him.

Almost the textbook definition.

I know exactly how you feel there, buddy :)

But, fwiw... when you say that it was a good play (and on said play a sack is awarded to 50) and then you come in and annoint that it wasn't a sack... well... that is naysaying him.

Almost the textbook definition.

What?!?!

How?

This is ridiculous.

No it's not.

It was a great play that was not a sack. How is that naysaying him? It's saying that statistician was wrong. This is 100% absurd at this point.

What?!?!

How?

This is ridiculous.

No it's not.

It was a great play that was not a sack. How is that naysaying him? It's saying that statistician was wrong. This is 100% absurd at this point.

Come on pimp.  I love you like an internet brother.  Let's just move away from this crime scene and find something else to talk about.

Yeah, I'm done with this thread in general.

Man folk have been testy in here the past few weeks. 

Just let it go Coach and move on. Misunderstandings happen. It's the internet. The most ambiguous medium there is. Without seeing a face behind the comment. We don't always agree. Just let it go. 

Hail. 

I'll play this game :)

What's one of the biggest knocks on Orakpo? That two of his sacks came against Oakland? I agree, that is fairly damning, and I agree that Rak has not had his best year rushing the passer, and quite frankly, we need him to. I'm also leaning towards the, "Kerrigan is going to cost a bunch to pay, and of the two he's the overall better, so if we had to choose, I'd go with the more consistent Kerrigan" theory.

I agree that Kerrigan is the more consistent OLB.  As you've noted the stat totals don't necessarily tell the entire story.  One yard can make the difference between being credited with a sack or just a good tackle.  For Kerrigan versus Orakpo it definitely looks though that Kerrigan is being consistently productive:

Philly - Kerrigan 1 sack and 1 FF    Orakpo - zip

GB    - Kerrigan 2 sacks                  Orakpo - 1 sack

Det   - Kerrigan 1 Pass Deflected    Orakpo - zip

Oak - Kerrigan 2 sacks 1 FF            Orakpo - 2 sacks, 2 PDEF

Dal - Kerrigan zip                           Orakpo - zip

Chi - Kerrigan 1/2 sack                    Orakpo 1 PDEF, 1 INT

Den   Kerrigan 1 sack, 1 FF              Orakpo  1 PDEF

SD   Kerrigan zip                             Orakpo - zip

The Dallas and San Diego OLs shut down both OLB but Orakpo had no pass rush/defense stats also against Detroit or Philly.  If Kerrigan keeps it up he'll be at 10+ sacks for the year. That's not considered elite but Haslett would be content if both he and Orakpo were up in that range.  Since it looks like Orakpo will never get to the elite sack levels I don't think he's worth a top contract.  There will be some interesting discussions in the offseason with free agent possibilities and draft needs/wants.   

Interesting article from John Keim on espn today regarding Orakpo ---  http://t.co/F7soURGkDE  basically the article talks about Orakpo and his lack of production. How teams do double team or chip him at times but there are plenty of times for Orakpo to make plays when blocked by one man. How Orakpo hasn't even had a QB hurry in the last two games and 2 of his 3 sacks this year were against the awful Raiders.

OF COURSE Orakpo says in the article that he isn't concerned about his lack of sacks and/or his contract status because he has had such minimal production in most statistical categories this season.

But you can bet if Orakpo had 8 sacks through 8 games this season he would be touting how his hard work in the offseason paid off, how this proves he is a dominant pass rusher and worthy of being considered one of the best in the NFL at his position.

Everyone remembers how before the season Orakpo openly talked about 'being in the running for both NFL Comeback Player of the Year AND Defensive Player of the Year' ---

Even the biggest Orakpo fans couldn't come up with a scenario where Orakpo has put himself anywhere in the stratosphere for being considered as a candidate for either of those awards. In fact it would be completely laughable to even think of Orakpo as a DPOY candidate given his play so far this season.

The good news is there is still half a season to go and plenty of time for Orakpo to pick up his play, make a significant impact on the defense and help turn this disappointing season around for himself and the team. A second half of the season with a few sacks, turnovers forced, tackles for loss and being a consistently disruptive force should do the trick.  Even slightly above average production will likely receive over the top praise even if it is what should be expected of a player with Orakpo's draft position, ability and wish to be considered great.

You never know what will happen.  It's possible Orakpo will go out looking for contracts and find that a modest contract is all that's available.  With a modest contract and no expectations of being a pass rush star Orakpo could easily fit in as a platoon OLB.  I think it will be very difficult though to meet expectations. He's coming from the era of expensive rookie contracts but he doesn't have the track record to support anything close to his current contract.

I still want to know from those debating in this thread what you all would give Orakpo to stay?  What would be fair?  I think there is a lot of agreements between both sides but one side is overvaluing when both sides may actually think he is worth the same price.

Too bad we didnt trade him when we had the chance to this year to gain maybe a 1 or a 2nd from him 

A matter of facif Ryans contract was up, I would rather give kerrigan the long term if I had to choose to.

I don't think we ever could have gotten a 1 or 2. I thought maybe a 3 if we traded him a few weeks ago, which I would have tried to do.

Orakpo will finish the season with double digit sacks, not to mention adding more stats like passes defensed etc. He's making an impact this season just by being on the field, a true upgrade over #50 that is for sure.

I didn't see this past game sadly because I was attending a family reunion, but from what I gather, Orakpo didn't have much time to get to the QB because Rivers was getting rid of the ball quick, as well as being shifty in the pocket. Rak is still, along with Kerrigan, our best defensive player, although Hall is making a case this season as well.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000277009/Orakpo-We-re-in-a-good-spot-right-now

I still want to know from those debating in this thread what you all would give Orakpo to stay?  What would be fair?  I think there is a lot of agreements between both sides but one side is overvaluing when both sides may actually think he is worth the same price.

I'm at the point now where I wouldn't offer him anything. 

Why keep on paying and persisting with a 5 year vet who doesn't produce?

Hail. 

Too bad we didnt trade him when we had the chance to this year to gain maybe a 1 or a 2nd from him 

A matter of facif Ryans contract was up, I would rather give kerrigan the long term if I had to choose to.

fwiw, we tried to include him in the package to the Rams for Robert Griffin, III and they wouldn't give us 1st or 2nd round credit for him.

Which is why we had to spend all picks in the trade.

As hard as that may be for some to believe in here.

Archived