Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

The issue with this teams pass rush is not on the outside, there's zero interior push.  Rak had a good game.

And we might as well stop using fletch/riley in coverage, they get killed.  Blitz em and go back to cover-0 looks, or get some different personnel on the field, I wouldn't mind Reed/Riley as our LBs in obvious passing situations.  Blitz riley much of the time and put Reed in man.

Agree whole heartidly.  And that's been the defenses issue for weeks.  I bought Cofield's fools gold in the preseason publicly but I did stay reserved privately... it's not just him, but he just isn't that good.

But, it's no coincidence that on 98's sack, Cofield was almost the whole way up the field also.

Orakpo had a good game.  They weren't running all over him, they were attacking the middle and they were attacking London....

This one is on the defense (cough - and the refs) but it's not on 98.

Agree whole heartidly.  And that's been the defenses issue for weeks.  I bought Cofield's fools gold in the preseason publicly but I did stay reserved privately... it's not just him, but he just isn't that good.

But, it's no coincidence that on 98's sack, Cofield was almost the whole way up the field also.

Orakpo had a good game.  They weren't running all over him, they were attacking the middle and they were attacking London....

This one is on the defense (cough - and the refs) but it's not on 98.

pretty spot on.  There was so much about Cofield really turning the corner into one of the better NT's but that's not happening.  My guess is that Carriker would help as he would command the double teams that Golston and Jenkins are not.  It sucks when 1 link is missing that directly effects every other position on the defense from run stopping to pass rushing to coverage. 

That and London has got to be done after this year.  Hopefully Keenan is recovering and doing a lot of work with film.

pretty spot on.  There was so much about Cofield really turning the corner into one of the better NT's but that's not happening.  My guess is that Carriker would help as he would command the double teams that Golston and Jenkins are not.  It sucks when 1 link is missing that directly effects every other position on the defense from run stopping to pass rushing to coverage. 

That and London has got to be done after this year.  Hopefully Keenan is recovering and doing a lot of work with film.

Keenan has all of the potential in the world.  Health seems to be his nemesis. 

We need to become more understanding as a fan base about getting rid of players a year early vs a year late.  I know London is unique because of the money garunteed and what he's meant to this defense, but we really need to become a fan base that supports this team vs players.

Since this is basically our generic pass rushing thread, or should be.  I think we've got talent in our pass rushers, but we just do not scheme them at all.  Every pass rush seems to be the same thing.  Teams like the 49ers, Packers, and Broncos do a bevy of stunts and line them up their rushers in favorable positions.

I'm wondering if our pass rushing "goal" isn't to get at the QB at all costs, rather it's to just contain them in the pocket.

Anyways, here's the sack/hit numbers for our defense:

Sacks:

Kerrigan - 6.5

Orakpo - 4

Cofield - 2.5

Riley - 2

Jackson - 2

Wilson - 1

Rambo - 1

Tapp - 1

Fletcher - 1

Baker - 1

QB Hits:

Orakpo - 10

Cofield - 9

Riley - 8

Kerrigan - 6

Wilson - 4

Baker - 2

Jackson - 2

Bowen - 2

Tapp - 1

Rambo - 1

Fletcher - 1

Amerson - 1

Our pash rush without rack is abbysmal. He is a great pass rusher.

Keenan hasn't proved anything. at all.

My only thoughts.

---------- Post added March-30th-2013 at 11:37 AM ----------

Trade him and get what?

A marginal player and a 2/3rd round pick. What are the chances that pick/player can have both the potential production and actual production that rack does? The trade argument is stupid. Guy is 3 years into the league and when healthy has been as advertised.

Our pass rush with Rak is the same without him still terrible...he does nothing he hasnt refined his game at all all he can do is a bullrush and one that rarely gets to the qb within 3 seconds time if he wants big money id rather let him go and let Jackson take over, ive seen him have a tackle for loss one time ALL season thats not what an "all pro" player should be doing...

Everytime I see or hear that Orakpo Fios commercial I puke in my mouth.

"Brian Orakpo can get to the QB in less than 2 seconds."

And Blue moons occur on a regular basis.

What hogwash. No pun intended.

I was actually just thinking about that earlier. Whenever I'm watching highlights, etc on the skins site and I see that I'm like "ehh...not really, no". He had an ok game yesterday but the entire front 7, especially our pass rush, stunk the joint up so yeah...not much to be proud of. 

Can't agree Orakpo had a good game.

NONE of the front 7 had any kind of game. Let alone 'good.' The fact he did more than others is saying VERY little.

Hail.

He had an okay game.  Not a superstar game, but he wasn't horrible either.  It's still not a dominating performance, and against these poor viking qb's we really needed one.

Keeping track of the "how much sacks does Orakpo add to this defense" index, we're now on pace for 39 sacks (35 if you average out the oakland anomaly).  We had 32 last year and didn't get to face Oakland's backups.

I will agree that our defensive ends are mostly invisible.  We could definitely use talent there and at ILB.  For as much hate as this secondary gets, I'd rather upgrade those two spots next year.

Just got to rewatch it.  Orakpo had a fantastic sack, but after that was nearly invisible.  Saw a hit on the play action, and another pressure where he pushed Kalil almost into Ponder.  But in between those he was mostly stonewalled by Kalil.  He got a few cleanup tackles from the middle of our defense closing running lanes on Peterson.

Vikings rarely ran left, so didn't really get a good view of his effort in run defense.  Some may jump on that and think it was to avoid Orakpo, but the reason is more because of Minny.  They rank 27th and 31st in left end and left tackle runs (even with peterson!) but 4th and 2nd on right end and right tackle runs.  Their offense has the fewest runs to the left of any offense in the nfl.

Exactly my point LB. To say he, or indeed ANY of our more or less completely invisible pass rush played well is taking artistic license to the extreme. 

The fact he got a good sack and was more involved than the rest is saying VERY little and more to their detriment than his own play. 

The WHOLE pass rush (STOP laughing at the back) sucked ass. Kerrigan, who I love, included. All against a decimated line and both CHRISTIAN ****** PONDER and then MATT ******* CASSE!

Disgracefully bad. The job lot of them. No other way to dress that up into something they weren't. 

Hail. 

Here is the issue,.  If he is getting Chipped and Double teamed.  Two things are happening.  The chipper is not in the pattern or will be late in the pattern and if he is Getting Doubled team.  Where the heck is everyone else...   We are not getting any push or production on sacks up the middle.  I do think we should stunt more as well.

On second and Long and third and long, why not Bring in Rob jackson as well.  Bascially let Rac be the End.  They can stunt blitz and even drop Rac off the Line and send jackson.

To me they should do the same on the other side as well with Kerrigan getting on the line and the other Rookie Linebacker doing the same, he has showed some great speed and progress.  if you send both Jackson and THe Rookie along with Kerrigan and Rac you cannot tell me you cannot get some pressure there.  Specially running stunts and keeping Cofield to plug the Middle with Fletcher and Riley looking for the gaps and releases out of the backfield... 

I just think Haslett does not scheme and mix it up enough..

I agree that 'Rak should be utilized as a DE more often.

And then, my next question as a whole is WHY our defensive line and linebacker play is so poor. I thought that we'd be excellent this year up front and sucky in the secondary with our rookies. Poor Deangelo is having to play the whole backfield by himself. All I know is that this is the common themse every year since Haslett got here, and I think he should get his walking papers .. oh .. about yesterday.

I would like to see how Rak plays when haslett get's fired. Then I'll make my assessment on him. Way too many players disappearing in this scheme to start throwing out blame. Where is Jarvis Jenkins? Where is Bowen? What is Perry Riley doing? 

You already know what's going to happen, right?

STEP ONE: Orakpo will be let go, Extremeskins will cheer

STEP TWO: Orakpo will be picked up by perennial powerhouse such as (PICK ONE) A) Ravens B) Seahawks C) Patriots

STEP THREE: Orakpo will have multiple, multiple-sack games, be voted all-league, all-world, Pro-Bowl MVP

STEP FOUR: Extremeskins users wonder, how did we let another one go???

STEP SIX: Brian Orakpo wins multiple Defensive Player of the Year Awards and shows Redskins Nation just how valuable a player he is.

On a serious note, I really don't see how some are saying Orakpo didn't have a great game against the Viqueens. He played very well, too bad his inept defensive coordinator likes to drop him back into coverage far too often though.

On another note, yes Orakpo could easily get up to 265 lbs. as could Kerrigan and play as hand in the dirt defensive ends, they played it in college and would be like Chris Long and Robert Quinn, or DeMarcus Ware and Cameron Wake, who are all defensive ends of similar size.

I realize I said I was done with this thread, and I still am, but I saw this post and figured I'd post it here... As I surmised earlier in this thread, the fan base is now turning on Kerrigan... It's not to mutiny levels yet, but it exists.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/373626-quinn-versus-kerrigan/

It's not funny, either. We are, as a whole in the football world, the most fickle group of people out there. It's really easy to forget the good times when you're mired in the bad.

Kerrigan is a very good football player. Threads like that make me want to yank my hair out of my head. And most that criticize likely don't even know the different between an assignment on a spill technique and a force technique.

Archived