Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

This cracks me up. They didn't do much pass rush wise, but they were certainly overall better than "meh".

There was plenty of cleavage, but no titties. Everyone notices the titties. They're hard to miss...

I think Rak's played better, but I'm starting to wonder... This line is bad. Bad bad bad. I would honestly prefer we found a way (if possible) of allocating some of that Rak money to the d-line. I want Haslett strapped to a rocket and sent into outer space, but with whoever the 3-4 DC is that replaces him, push come to shove, I would rather suck at ROLB than suck at D-Line. That's where everything starts.

I'm honestly not so sure that Rak would even want t stay at this point. I sure as hell wouldn't.

A good interview from Keim in which Rak touches on the run and pass coverage duties he has.

Haslet is all about stopping the run first and foremost. Contain rush is a priority for Rak.

That likely kills spin moves or some of the other things we all want to see from him.

That all said, I do think even in obvious passing downs, Haslet could have him doing more.

Yeah, I've notice that both Orakpo and Kerrigan drop MUCH more into coverage than the OLBs on other 3-4 teams. I've kinda been down on Kerrigan but is it possible that his individual impact on the game is being hampered by a scheme that neutralizes their pass rushing talents? It doesn't help that we are starting possibly the worst 3-4 ends in the NFL and keep forcing Barry Cofield to play 2-gap nose tackle. Since we're gonna play guys that they don't have the skillset for, why don't we play RGIII at wide reci...oh wait.

It is criminal how we have refused to scheme according to our players skillsets. Our first round highly drafted pass rushers are at their best rushing the passer, and we have them dropping back 25% more than the average 3-4 OLB? Seriously?

Also when are we going to try Rob Jackson at MLB? He's a solid tackler and imo our best coverage linebacker, and our 3rd best linebacker in general?

A good interview from Keim in which Rak touches on the run and pass coverage duties he has.

Haslet is all about stopping the run first and foremost. Contain rush is a priority for Rak.

That likely kills spin moves or some of the other things we all want to see from him.

That all said, I do think even in obvious passing downs, Haslet could have him doing more.

As much flak as this D gets, they've been pretty darn good at stopping the run since... GB? Well, they've limited Peterson, McCoy and Gore at least.

With the exception of Wilson vs SF, I'm not sure the problem is the secondary as much as the front 7 playing run first (actually front 8 with Doughty often manning the box), the linebackers lacking coverage skills and the pass rush struggling to get home.

As much flak as this D gets, they've been pretty darn good at stopping the run since... GB? Well, they've limited Peterson, McCoy and Gore at least.

With the exception of Wilson vs SF, I'm not sure the problem is the secondary as much as the front 7 playing run first (actually front 8 with Doughty often manning the box), the linebackers lacking coverage skills and the pass rush struggling to get home.

It doesn't get much press but I have heard many say it, Haslet's defense is predicated on stopping the run first, and then forcing Os into a 3rd and long, where his presumed strength comes to light. Exotic blitzes and coverages, and INTs. Does he get credit for all the DTDs this year, who knows. And for all I know, all Ds key to stop the run first too.

But as soft as our front 3 has been, LBs slow stiff or missing tackles, teams are foolish not to run on us. If true, naturally he has to load up to stop that - viola - a gameplan! Or, survival of the fittest. We do well against the stud backs, the backups seem to gash us though. Overall, a decent run D sans no big nose.

We are stuffing runs, but then our pass D when not forcing INTs hasn't done much. The pressure from the front 3 is laughable and hurts Rak and Kerrigan.  One thing I believe we have not seen, is the deep deep balls. I was worried to no end that Rambo was going to get torched deep, but Haslet is taking that away. In all likelihood, by not covering the middle center of the field and inviting passes into a trap or lord knows what.

Bah, circling back on topic, Rak has been exposed in contain run responsibilities in the past, and seems to have shored that up some. I am curious though, do the other 3-4 elite he likes himself to, have no such responsibilities?

Again, Kerrigan and Orakpo play coverage and run contain a lot more than other 3-4 OLBs who rush the passer. I believe there were stats that backed it up and it supports what I see watching the games.

I wonder how much of that is a product of our terrible middle linebacker corps and league-worst 3-4 ends? Fletcher is old and Riley is a backup on 70% of teams. So we have to give our rush backers far more run stop and cover responsibilities to compensate.

All of this is stuff I've touched on in this thread... It's so true that scheme is part of the issue.

It doesn't get much press but I have heard many say it, Haslet's defense is predicated on stopping the run first, and then forcing Os into a 3rd and long, where his presumed strength comes to light. Exotic blitzes and coverages, and INTs. Does he get credit for all the DTDs this year, who knows. And for all I know, all Ds key to stop the run first too.

But as soft as our front 3 has been, LBs slow stiff or missing tackles, teams are foolish not to run on us. If true, naturally he has to load up to stop that - viola - a gameplan! Or, survival of the fittest. We do well against the stud backs, the backups seem to gash us though. Overall, a decent run D sans no big nose.

We are stuffing runs, but then our pass D when not forcing INTs hasn't done much. The pressure from the front 3 is laughable and hurts Rak and Kerrigan. One thing I believe we have not seen, is the deep deep balls. I was worried to no end that Rambo was going to get torched deep, but Haslet is taking that away. In all likelihood, by not covering the middle center of the field and inviting passes into a trap or lord knows what.

I feel like a rangy ILB that can help against backs and TEs would do wonders for this D - K. Robinson may or may not be that guy. Would have been nice to give him more seasoning playing certain downs/packages.

A big guy to push the pocket and a coverage ILB and I think this could could be a decent defense. A collapsing pocket would make a big difference for our pass rush and secondary. Perhaps we even have one or two of those guys on the roster (between Robinson, Jenkins and Baker), but I sort of doubt it. An early pick (to groom) and good FA at each position would be ideal in my mind.

Has our defense ever been good with Orakpo on the team?  No.  JJ Watt looks half of the player he was last year simply because his defense as a whole isn't as good as last year.  It's different evaluating a player on defense vs. offense.  For instance, you look at Garcon and even though the offense sucks in every aspect, you know he's a good player by doing alot once he gets the ball thrown his way.  

On defense it's a big more difficult as if you have a  weak secondary (which we have for atleast 5 years now, and Orakpo plays a pass rushing OLB position.  If you were a NFL GM and had the group of statisticians to breakdown every play in the NFL each season for each team, and see the top 5 teams who lead the league in Sacks, they either a) are able to stick to the WRs and giving their pass rush more time to get to the QB or b ) have a dominant nose tackle/DT who can hold his own, clog the middle and also get pressure on the QB.  

WHEN has Orakpo had that on this team?  I believe when a NFL GM looks at the tapes and break it down, they can see Orakpo has the skills to be an elite (yeah, i said it) pass rusher given appropriate help on his side of the ball. Thanks to Haslett, Orakpo is going up each week against the best pass protector on the OL.  The one position on the OL that makes as much as alot of skill position players do to keep the DE/LB from sacking the QB.

So please, next time you're thinking Rak is overrated, consider his teammates and the Defensive coordinator.  The offense only has to worry about blocking Rak, and someone chipping Kerrigan.  If you can do those two things, you can have 4-6 seconds in the pocket for one of your WRs to get seperation from Josh Wilson, Rambo, Doubty, or hell, outrun an aging London Fletcher.

I want Rak to be my starting ROLB for the next 3 seasons at least.

He's played much better these past 3 games, I'll give him that.

How about just admitting he's a good football player. I'm still not sure he's an elite pass rusher, but the way he's played the run this year has been outstanding. He's doing a good job rushing despite schematic difficulties, but he's not showing elite rushing talent. He's a damn good OLB, though.

I'd still monitor how much he wants and get a feel for market value. He's not worth a HUGE contract (read this as: We can't afford to pay him a huge contract). But he's worth some cash.

How about just admitting he's a good football player. I'm still not sure he's an elite pass rusher, but the way he's played the run this year has been outstanding. He's doing a good job rushing despite schematic difficulties, but he's not showing elite rushing talent. He's a damn good OLB, though.

I'd still monitor how much he wants and get a feel for market value. He's not worth a HUGE contract (read this as: We can't afford to pay him a huge contract). But he's worth some cash.

I'm not going to say he played well early in the season because he didn't. If he played all season like these last 3 games I would have been backing up 98orakpo all season.

Because I'm admitting he's playing well now that he finally is? Orakpo has made more plays in this first quarter than some entire games earlier in the year.

He's played the run like this ALL season. The difference lately is his sack numbers. That's really all.

Archived