Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Orakpo: Current most over hyped Redskin? Or as good as advertised?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

The point is, he's played well all year long as far as Haslett has utilized him. The media now notices because he's been set loose.

Is Haslett really so bad of a coach that he's misused him to this degree for almost 3 years? I don't think it's all on Haslett. He's not a good coach by any stretch, but that's insane levels of ineptitude.

Is Haslett really so bad of a coach that he's misused him to this degree for almost 3 years? I don't think it's all on Haslett. He's not a good coach by any stretch, but that's insane levels of ineptitude.

Stop with this three years stuff. He was hurt last year.

In 2011 he had a good season as well. 9 sacks, 50 tackles. He wasn't as good against the run or pass but I think he was slightly better as a pass rusher within the scheme. His game has rounded out since then.

I have seen Rak the last few weeks with him having a two way go... I gotta tell ya... It's possible it's a schematic issue.

From interviews Orakpo has given, he's said it was a scheme thing.  He's now being allowed to attack his blocker in different ways.  So Haslett has switched from dialing up pressure, to trying to put his better players in positions to succeed.  I find it a little ridiculous it took him until 3 or so games ago to do this.

you mean 4 or so YEARS to do so.

that part highlighted in red is a travesty. That should have been the case FROM DAY ONE!!

hazbeen is a joke. dude has 2 dynamic pass rushers and they spend just as much time covering running backs as they do rushing the passer because of his "scheme" which hasn't amounted to jack **** since he's been here... and half the time when they do rush the passer it looks like they're trying to stay in their lanes instead of wreaking havoc.

I was on the let 'Rak walk bandwagon this year, and if he wants a ton of money I still am.. but I would also love to see him paired with a COMPETENT DC for once to really see what he can do.

Haslet seems very static his in approach, at least compared to other DC's I see.   We see the rare exotic blitz, the rare stunt etc. It is more than Orakpo being static in his approach. Bull rush or bust. Hell, even I can do spin moves. 

I watch other games and feel like Rak would be better in other systems. For instance, I saw a Dallas game where an LB was engaged with a RT, and then another LB blitzed and instead of blindly and predictably going straight to the QB, went and clobbered the engaged RT. The LB became free. My mind was blown.

I see stunts, moving guys around. Look no further than last week moving Tuck inside.

Haslet has started moving guys around some, but its one and done and never works.

I am not convinced Haslet is doing what is best for Rak, but it may well be Mike telling Haslet what to do, so I do not blindly blame Jim nor Rak. This is all Mike now in year 4.

Rak may irritate fans with his words but he is also a product of his environment.

Haslet seems very static his in approach, at least compared to other DC's I see.   We see the rare exotic blitz, the rare stunt etc. It is more than Orakpo being static in his approach. Bull rush or bust. Hell, even I can do spin moves. 

I watch other games and feel like Rak would be better in other systems. For instance, I saw a Dallas game where an LB was engaged with a RT, and then another LB blitzed and instead of blindly and predictably going straight to the QB, went and clobbered the engaged RT. The LB became free. My mind was blown.

I see stunts, moving guys around. Look no further than last week moving Tuck inside.

Haslet has started moving guys around some, but its one and done and never works.

I am not convinced Haslet is doing what is best for Rak, but it may well be Mike telling Haslet what to do, so I do not blindly blame Jim nor Rak. This is all Mike now in year 4.

Rak may irritate fans with his words but he is also a product of his environment.

Maybe that's why Rak runs into the chokehold every time, maybe he's being coached to run around the tackle and "contain" the outside so the qb can't escape laterally... although it would normally leave a gap between the NT/DE for the qb to step up into, but someone else is supposed to cover that I guess.

maybe haztard is the reason you never see him try to blaze upfield around the tackle by going low, instead he stays upright so he see whats going on around him? (more responsibilities)

Dude has the speed to jet upfield and turn the corner under the tackle, he just never does it for some reason.

I would wager that Haslet would counter, in doing so, that the defense is (somehow) exposed more than it already is.

And there may be some truth to it. I do not recall many great 3-4s with a NT built more like a 3-4 end. The Ratliff Factor.  Being Barry Cofield is not easy.

But I feel like 4 games ago, months ago, years ago, Haslet should have rolled the dice and lets his playmakers try and be game changers for us. When the offense cannot carry the load, the defense has to try.

Dare I think on the verge of Rak walking for nothing, the season tanked, there is NO reason not to try and see what life is like with Rak the uncaged beast.

We need something to look forward to on Sundays going forward.

So, Cooley talked to someone in the know and spoke about monies for Orakpo's contract on the radio last night.

He said Orakpo will get anywhere from $8 mil - $12 mil per year with between $20 and $30 mil of that gauranteed.

Who's buying?

So, Cooley talked to someone in the know and spoke about monies for Orakpo's contract on the radio last night.

He said Orakpo will get anywhere from $8 mil - $12 mil per year with between $20 and $30 mil of that gauranteed.

Who's buying?

This is an if-then scenario.  If we get a new DC, I'm definitely buying.  He'll be able to utilize guys like Orakpo and Kerrigan in more beneficial ways.  If Haslett stays...Orakpo's unfortunately replaceable.

There are a lot of teams that could turn Orakpo into a stat gathering monster.  Add in the bevy of teams with struggling pass rushes (somehow worse than ours) that should have money to spend and he'd get a lot of suitors.

Edit:  This is a situation where if he hits the open market, teams will be bidding heavily and his price will rise.

Who's buying?

He needs to round out the season like the last two games or else I'm letting him hit the open market. 

That's a HECK of big gamble on his career to date. And with Jackson to re-sign and Jenkins,and Kerrigan going nowhere, that makes a whopping outlay on the OLB's. 

Hail. 

This is an if-then scenario.  If we get a new DC, I'm definitely buying.  He'll be able to utilize guys like Orakpo and Kerrigan in more beneficial ways.  If Haslett stays...Orakpo's unfortunately replaceable.

There are a lot of teams that could turn Orakpo into a stat gathering monster.  Add in the bevy of teams with struggling pass rushes (somehow worse than ours) that should have money to spend and he'd get a lot of suitors.

Edit:  This is a situation where if he hits the open market, teams will be bidding heavily and his price will rise.

I am on the low end of that.  The very low end.  I just can't give him more than $8 mil.

This defense had their best year in 2011, and it's because Spanos had Rak and Kerrigan.  Now at UCLA, Spanos has this kid Barr coming out who has shot up the draft boards and is expected to be a top 3 pick.

I think if the price reaches $9 mil and over $24 mil gauranteed I have to step away.  That's just way too much money.

He needs to round out the season like the last two games or else I'm letting him hit the open market. 

That's a HECK of big gamble on his career to date. And with Jackson to re-sign and Jenkins,and Kerrigan going nowhere, that makes a whopping outlay on the OLB's. 

Hail. 

I think Spanos would make Jackson and Jenkins into monsters.  I really do.

Last week may have been Raks first sack(s) of Eli Manning. Can't recall him doing that in any of the previous years. Unless he gets absolutely stonewalled these next 4 weeks, he is going to hit the 10-11 sack mark again. I'm glad that he's starting to get after it a little more, making plays in the backfield.

He's sacked Eli once before in 2011.  http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201112180nyg.htm

This defense had their best year in 2011, and it's because Spanos had Rak and Kerrigan.  Now at UCLA, Spanos has this kid Barr coming out who has shot up the draft boards and is expected to be a top 3 pick.

If Barr left UCLA for the 2013 draft, he probably would have been drafted in the late 1st round.  Going into this college season he was projected as a 1st rounder again.  He hasn't really shot up draft boards in the sense that he's always been highly thought of, but I totally agree with what you're saying.  The loss of Spanos was terrible for our D.

I think Spanos would make Jackson and Jenkins into monsters.  I really do.

You say this because of what?  I'm all aboard Jenkins seeing more time as a situational pass rusher, but my impression with him is that he's struggled against the run and lost contain.

As for Jackson, I see a dependable 3-4 OLB, but not a pass rusher.  I do not believe Jackson and Orakpo have been on the field together much, if at all.  I'd really like to see that combo.  I think Orakpo's been playing better than Kerrigan this season, and if one were more expandable than the other, it'd be Kerrigan.  But Kerrigan is on a rookie contract and Orakpo isn't.

We resign him next year for vet min plus incentives.  No more.  No less.

Then he's gone.  Even offering that would probably piss off the agent enough to end negotiations.

If Barr left UCLA for the 2013 draft, he probably would have been drafted in the late 1st round.  Going into this college season he was projected as a 1st rounder again.  He hasn't really shot up draft boards in the sense that he's always been highly thought of, but I totally agree with what you're saying.  The loss of Spanos was terrible for our D.

You say this because of what?  I'm all aboard Jenkins seeing more time as a situational pass rusher, but my impression with him is that he's struggled against the run and lost contain.

As for Jackson, I see a dependable 3-4 OLB, but not a pass rusher.  I do not believe Jackson and Orakpo have been on the field together much, if at all.  I'd really like to see that combo.  I think Orakpo's been playing better than Kerrigan this season, and if one were more expandable than the other, it'd be Kerrigan.  But Kerrigan is on a rookie contract and Orakpo isn't.

Then he's gone.  Even offering that would probably piss off the agent enough to end negotiations.

You think?  If the guy really wants to win a Super Bowl with us, he will understand.  Loyalty.  Honor.  Sacrifice.

Kiper said that if you are a 3-4 team you take Barr over Clowney.  That's high praise and the definition of shooting up.

Orakpo should be used primarily as a pass rusher. His speed on the edge is his greatest asset. He needs to be rushing the passer as much as possible and not out in coverage.

You're not advocating Kerrigan in coverage are you?  That leaves the ILBs, neither of whom are cover guys, unless you bring the safeties up, which means Doughty's not in.  Neither Rak nor Kerrigan should cover, unless it's something short to the flat or whatnot and they can see it coming, but our ILB situation is a mess.

I'm not even getting back into this argument.

I'd be interested to see how many snaps Rob Jackson has gotten this season and the stats he's been able to obtain during that.

3 sacks and pick in limited time is nothing to scoff at.

And what' s funny is that it looks like he didn't even get rewarded the sack of Eli that he had this past week.  ESPN says 2 sacks when he's sacked Rivers, Eli, and Peyton and picked off Romo.

Clowney is the prototype for a 4-3 end. He is not a 3-4 backer. If you take him in a 3-4 you should be fired immediately after the pick :)

As for offering Rak vet min + incentives? Troll much?

Oh no doubt.  But if I had that pick and ran a 3-4 I'd make adjustments for Clowney.

That said, we can't let one signing get in the way of improving our whole team.  $12 mil is a HUGE chunk of change to pay a guy who has never been a part of a winning season here.

Especially with the holes that we have.

If you want to pay him 10-12 mil, show me how you fill the rest of the spots we have with competant players with the remaining money.

Oh no doubt. But if I had that pick and ran a 3-4 I'd make adjustments for Clowney.

That said, we can't let one signing get in the way of improving our whole team. $12 mil is a HUGE chunk of change to pay a guy who has never been a part of a winning season here.

Especially with the holes that we have.

If you want to pay him 10-12 mil, show me how you fill the rest of the spots we have with competant players with the remaining money.

I'm sure there are ways. Although I didn't comment on the Rak money situation other than to allude that offering him vet min + incentives is 100% asinine.

I'm sure there are ways. Although I didn't comment on the Rak money situation other than to allude that offering him vet min + incentives is 100% asinine.

I know.  That was more to the folks behind you in comments.

I wouldn't offer him that either, that's rediculous.  But I am not in favor of offering him more than $8 mil as of this minute either.

Archived