Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

On 9/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, The Evil Genius said:

I'll be 44 in January. Hate my dead end job but only staying because I have to financially and I've already got 17 years of state service. Actively been trying to go to another agency but I'm capped out salary wise at my position (have been for 8+ years) so I'm at a disadvantage for lateral moves. Done about 6 interviews in the last 18 months but no offers. The only pay raise I see these days is when the union gets new contracts every 3-4 years and then it's only been 3% jumps (and I think that's happened twice since I've been capped out). I'm looking at another 11 years before I can smell a pension (that I'm paying 9% of my salary into) and even then it's disadvantageous to retire until I'm 63. So...another 19 years. **** me. Btw, Captain Planet sucked. 

Edit..pls i hope no one thinks I'm being ungrateful..I just wish I could choose a career that has meaning and doesn't fill me with boredom and dread every day. It gives me too much time to be angry about the US. 

Does your union dictate that you have to pay 9% into your pension? 

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Huh?  Please explain, and if you can in comparison to neutron stars. 

I dunno why it’s not dense. black holes become black holes depending on circumference and mass ratio. I forgot what it is but it’s called something. They don’t depend on their volumes. I’m like 95% sure on that. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I dunno why it’s not dense. black holes become black holes depending on circumference and mass ratio. I forgot what it is but it’s called something. They don’t depend on their volumes. I’m like 95% sure on that. 

I can see this more I think about it.  Neutron Stars are typically the size of large cities, Super Massive Black Holes, like the one at the center of our galaxy - Sagittarrius A, is far more massive (we think that one is size of the orbit of Mercury).  It's not the density that gives you the gravity, its the mass.  Teaspoon of Neutron star can be something like a million tons.

Looks like it's a rather misleading statement that simply uses the event horizon to denote the volume of the black hole and simply using the mass and event horizon to come up with a density.  The center of a blackhole would theoretically be a singularity; infinite density.

Seems that judging the density of a black hole by its Schwarzchild radius is about as arbitrary and misleading as measuring the density of the sun using the radius of the Kuiper belt.  Like the Sun's gravitational pull has resulted in the objects in the Kuiper belt orbiting around it, the gravity of the black hole has caused the space-time curiosity that is the event horizon.  The difference is that we can't really observe beyond the event horizon, so that's what we have to work with.

Or I'm talking out my ass and somebody will put my in my taxonomical place.

23 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Looks like it's a rather misleading statement that simply uses the event horizon to denote the volume of the black hole and simply using the mass and event horizon to come up with a density.  The center of a blackhole would theoretically be a singularity; infinite density.

Seems that judging the density of a black hole by its Schwarzchild radius is about as arbitrary and misleading as measuring the density of the sun using the radius of the Kuiper belt.  Like the Sun's gravitational pull has resulted in the objects in the Kuiper belt orbiting around it, the gravity of the black hole has caused the space-time curiosity that is the event horizon.  The difference is that we can't really observe beyond the event horizon, so that's what we have to work with.

Or I'm talking out my ass and somebody will put my in my taxonomical place.

I hope I time stamped it. If not oh well go to 8:37

I don’t think using the event horizon is abritary since that’s where the black hole begins to “exist” 

13 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

The local team winning makes football so much more enjoyable. If they had lost I would have been in emotional despair with the lights off and ignored football for the rest of the day. 

Preach.  A Redskins win or loss makes or breaks my entire weekend and following week. 

instant euphoria after a win that usually lasts 24 hours, instant depression that usually lasts all week after an L.  I realize that's is a problem and I shouldn't care about football THAT much to where it greatly impacts my daily life......but......Redskins.  :wub:

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Got to meet and hang out with the one and only @Destinoyesterday.  A hell of a guy.

That was the moonshine talking. 

Also, if you guys haven't checked out Spaceman's pictures you should because the man takes some amazing shots.  The black and white stuff he keeps for himself are especially cool. 

He even did me a favor and took a picture of me on the field, which I will treasure forever:

Zv7wKPb.png

56 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Thank you sir!

Happy Birthday!  You should have told me, I would have gotten you a diet pepsi. 

3 hours ago, Jumbo said:

@Destino  nice write-up on the game, Des, and happy to see you take a turn at coverage--do more :)

Thanks.  It was an awesome experience (largely because @Spaceman Spiff was kind enough to babysit me as I walked around starry eyed and hopeless lost)  I've sat pretty much everywhere in the stadium, but that was my first time in the press box. 

12 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I hope I time stamped it. If not oh well go to 8:37

I don’t think using the event horizon is abritary since that’s where the black hole begins to “exist” 

Thats awesome.  I don't know if either you or @PokerPacker watch "how the universe works", but first episode of season 6 is about if black holes even exist.  It's not on demand yet, but I bet even more mind blowing then that video.   

I agree that it's an interesting idea on what the size of a black hole actually is, begining of event horizon would make sense to me give how much of the rules of physics we see in other celestial objects don't apply here.

Whole thing reminds of the joke that Saturn can float in your bathtub, but itd leave a ring in it : )

Archived