Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

12 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Edit..pls i hope no one thinks I'm being ungrateful..I just wish I could choose a career that has meaning and doesn't fill me with boredom and dread every day. It gives me too much time to be angry about the US. 

You don't sound ungrateful at all.  What do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Ugh, your situation does sound like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  with 17 years in, it'd be difficult to leave at this point, tossing our your 17 years towards pension.  I don't know what to tell you, brother.  Hang in there and you'll be 55 and can retire and enjoy the rest of your life.  Sounds like you're pumping quite a bit into retirement so you should be able to chill and enjoy your third act. 

Are you bored to the point where you'd actually consider tossing out 17 years of State service if the right opportunity and pay came around?

21 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'll be 44 in January. Hate my dead end job but only staying because I have to financially and I've already got 17 years of state service. Actively been trying to go to another agency but I'm capped out salary wise at my position (have been for 8+ years) so I'm at a disadvantage for lateral moves. Done about 6 interviews in the last 18 months but no offers. The only pay raise I see these days is when the union gets new contracts every 3-4 years and then it's only been 3% jumps (and I think that's happened twice since I've been capped out). I'm looking at another 11 years before I can smell a pension (that I'm paying 9% of my salary into) and even then it's disadvantageous to retire until I'm 63. So...another 19 years. **** me. Btw, Captain Planet sucked. 

Edit..pls i hope no one thinks I'm being ungrateful..I just wish I could choose a career that has meaning and doesn't fill me with boredom and dread every day. It gives me too much time to be angry about the US. 

Become a welder...

9 minutes ago, Chew said:

**** me, I just turned 36:rofl89:

Hey now, he did say too early. 36 is still early, but understandable :(

16 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'll be 44 in January. Hate my dead end job but only staying because I have to financially and I've already got 17 years of state service. Actively been trying to go to another agency but I'm capped out salary wise at my position (have been for 8+ years) so I'm at a disadvantage for lateral moves. Done about 6 interviews in the last 18 months but no offers. The only pay raise I see these days is when the union gets new contracts every 3-4 years and then it's only been 3% jumps (and I think that's happened twice since I've been capped out). I'm looking at another 11 years before I can smell a pension (that I'm paying 9% of my salary into) and even then it's disadvantageous to retire until I'm 63. So...another 19 years. **** me. Btw, Captain Planet sucked. 

Sounds like you need a stiff drink and some bluesy guitar riffs 

My mom worked at the world bank. She hated it segments of it and when I asked her why she stayed, she said it was because of earning years toward her pension. I used to shake my head. But now that she's retired, she has security that I will never have through that pension (and lifetime health care coverage). 

But I like a certain story that may not have much sway on you and possibly condescending. 

A man walked by 3 laborers building a wall for a church. The man asked all 3 what they were doing. The first one said, "I lay bricks". This man had a job. The second said, "I build churches". He has a career. The last man said, "I'm building the house of God." This man had a calling. They're all doing the same task—but it's a matter of how we look at our tasks.

I've had to do the same in my role. My company makes bottle and container testing equipment. Bo-ring. But since I'm in marketing and advertising we have to make promo videos and had to get at the root of why we exist. I found, ultimately, we are about making life fun. Our company makes bottles better so they don't fail. Beer bottles, liquor bottles, wine bottles, water bottles this is the stuff people use when they're gathering with friends and family, when exercising. Pharma bottles for when they're sick so product isn't contaminated. Make containers for chemicals and cleaners etc so they don't leak all over your house or work place and make people sick. The work we do matters. 

And most paid activity exists because it matters. 

As a very cynical person ground down by years in the advertising game, this was a big step. 

One thing is for damn sure, with the way things are these days, we all deserve happiness/peace of mind, and the chance to go after it.

Got a couple more security interviews lined up. Hard field to crack where you want to crack, if you have a civilian resume like mines, even with a year of extensive firearm training at this point. If things dont shake up I have a standing offer from my mom at her real estate office in Miami. Then I could do that, work some odd jobs (may even get back into crime scene cleanup) probably get a low level security gig Downtown somewhere, then come back here in 3-5 years.

25 minutes ago, Chew said:

You don't sound ungrateful at all.  What do you do, if you don't mind me asking?

Ugh, your situation does sound like you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.  with 17 years in, it'd be difficult to leave at this point, tossing our your 17 years towards pension.  I don't know what to tell you, brother.  Hang in there and you'll be 55 and can retire and enjoy the rest of your life.  Sounds like you're pumping quite a bit into retirement so you should be able to chill and enjoy your third act. 

Are you bored to the point where you'd actually consider tossing out 17 years of State service if the right opportunity and pay came around?

I use to be a Transportation Planner but these days I sit at a cubicle and literally try to find contract work and other dumbass papers to push. I mistakenly gave up the other job so that I could be closer to our new home. Luckily I'm a kept man but we cant afford to only be a solo income. Plus the wife would kill me anyways. ?

23 minutes ago, China said:

Become a welder...

I think a major regret I had was that I never learned from my Dad how to build ****. I'm clueless mostly with tools, have no artistic or engineering skill and yet I still feel that the best work anyone does is with their hands. Maybe it's the instant payoff from when you complete a small job in the yard or whatever.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Sounds like you need a stiff drink and some bluesy guitar riffs 

Ha thx. I've spent 20 years getting over the everclear ice luge days of WVU so my drinking is severely limited to one drink every few days (if that). Plus give me Tupac, Metallica, or Chris Stapleton over the blues. I mean..I've been to Memphis and New Orleans and listened to some good blues being played but it's not for me.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

True, some days just call for some dark trippy **** like Immortal Technique

I'm woefully ignorant to underground and/or lesser known rap. I'm not even sure it's my thing. TBH...I think I'm still more into trip hop (Portishead, Massive Attack) than rap..but even that takes a back seat to modern alternative these days for me.

Ok, I have an issue.

I absolutely hate pens that have rubber grippy things, but I've discovered a grooming tool that NEEDS them: toenail clippers.

I had a hot flash and had to just let them fall, and they scraped the toes of my other foot...I almost screamed in fear...with my job, foot/hand injuries are a no-no. 

26 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Ok, I have an issue.

I absolutely hate pens that have rubber grippy things, but I've discovered a grooming tool that NEEDS them: toenail clippers.

I had a hot flash and had to just let them fall, and they scraped the toes of my other foot...I almost screamed in fear...with my job, foot/hand injuries are a no-no. 

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/rubber-grip-nail-clipper.html

or

https://www.amazon.com/WalterDrake-EZ-Grip-Nail-Clipper/dp/B00OI6MLFO

On 9/18/2018 at 5:22 PM, Warhead36 said:

Anyone ever cater an event for a large group before? Like, 50-60 people? If so, what would you recommend for food? I was looking into Subway but individual go to box meals per person ends up running a total of $400. Platters would be cheaper but I'm not sure how many people one platter can feed.

What foods do you want? We always do indian places, bajafresh, and mission 

4 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

30-35? Dawned on me a few weeks ago when discussing Captain Planet in random conversation with this 19-21 year old awhile back, that I just can't relate to these youngins anymore, and then blinked to people standing over my grave on a cold, cloudy day. Then I realized I'm lunching, and shouldn't start thi king like this at least for another 10 years

Define "relate"?  I don't find gen z alien, age is a broad brush anyway.

20 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I handled a million dollars today. That was cool. 

You a mafia enforcer while job searching now?

Archived