Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Anyone ever cater an event for a large group before? Like, 50-60 people? If so, what would you recommend for food? I was looking into Subway but individual go to box meals per person ends up running a total of $400. Platters would be cheaper but I'm not sure how many people one platter can feed.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Anyone ever cater an event for a large group before? Like, 50-60 people? If so, what would you recommend for food? I was looking into Subway but individual go to box meals per person ends up running a total of $400. Platters would be cheaper but I'm not sure how many people one platter can feed.

Yes, all the time. Edit: why not just ask me directly? ?

Get a bunch of $5 footlongs, cut them up finger-size yourself. BOOM. Condiments on the side (are you doing it picnic style?)

Doritos/Lays have variety bags. 

I had to feed 7 on a boat every weekend for a couple years...figured it out easy peasy. I still do it this way, no matter the headcount. 10-12 footlongs should feed 50...you could do this for under $100 if everyone brings their own drinks. 

Hope that helps. 

2nd edit: you didn't say what type of event...even 15 footlongs would have you covered if it's just food and not for everyone to gorge on.?

Pizza is my go-to for that budget.  Have gotten Chipotle catering, but that's like $10 per person.  

Never disappoints!

https://popeyes.com/menu/catering/

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Id rather not do this here, but the post disaster relief in Katrina and Maria were an abomination and preparation wasn't much better. We are better then that.

I agree.  I only mentioned it because you spoke about us getting people out of an area then mention Haiti and the Tsunami.  Pre vs post.

My office has huge-fly-on-the wall factor. I hear conversations in detail.

Today 2 coworkers are talking about this other coworker about how he's lost 30 lbs since he started being more active. Which is awesome. Then they started talking about his girl prospects. 

-he makes good money (pro)

-smokes and drinks heavily (con)

-he needs a skinny, gym rat girlfriend to keep the fitness trend going

-girls try to change guys, a "project" (see second point about smoking and drinking heavily)

I kinda think people are more complex than that. One of the people in this convo is mid-50s bachelor, never been married. Straight, as far as we can tell. 

1 hour ago, abdcskins said:

I've got this new temp job but it's confusing as hell ? They use multiple systems and databases and all their processes use hella numbers. I'm a people person. Bleh.

3MzWxof.gif

15 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Work got Firehouse Subs. Expecting about 20 people from a certain customer. 3 showed up. They had a lot of extra food but made no announcement to give it away—didn't want to broadcast the ****-up.

15 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Yes, all the time. Edit: why not just ask me directly? ?

Get a bunch of $5 footlongs, cut them up finger-size yourself. BOOM. Condiments on the side (are you doing it picnic style?)

Doritos/Lays have variety bags. 

I had to feed 7 on a boat every weekend for a couple years...figured it out easy peasy. I still do it this way, no matter the headcount. 10-12 footlongs should feed 50...you could do this for under $100 if everyone brings their own drinks. 

Hope that helps. 

2nd edit: you didn't say what type of event...even 15 footlongs would have you covered if it's just food and not for everyone to gorge on.?

I'm too lazy to do any of that actual cutting up stuff...lolol. I was looking into Subway though but seemed a little pricy.

I’m a big fan of good business strategy/marketing even though I’d like to think I’m immune to it.

Returned a pair of socks to dicks at lunch. After the return, They spit out a coupon for 15% off in the next 3 hours only. That’s creative-never seen that before and it makes sense. They probably gathered some data point to trigger this. Even more impressive if they gathered a data point about MY shopping habits specifically.

7 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

yeah, but last time I got it there was barely any brisket inside the bread. soo disappointing.

Yeah sub places are notorious for that, unfortunately. Big ass bread and sauce sandwiches. I remember getting a tuna from Subway (the worst culprit) and this chick put like a teardrop of tuna on there (by that point I had ordered the tuna for lunch at various Sunday's to know exactly what was normal, wbo wanted to be nice to me or new, and who was on strict orders to guard the meat with their lives). Sometimes I'm forced to ask for extra, which is why I go sparingly (to Subway), unless I get something like a meatball/pastrami, where they have no choice.

Jersey Mike's seems to be pretty fair, but there aren't that many Jersey Mike's out here compared to Subway or Firehouse.

30-35? Dawned on me a few weeks ago when discussing Captain Planet in random conversation with this 19-21 year old awhile back, that I just can't relate to these youngins anymore, and then blinked to people standing over my grave on a cold, cloudy day. Then I realized I'm lunching, and shouldn't start thi king like this at least for another 10 years

16 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

30-35? Dawned on me a few weeks ago when discussing Captain Planet in random conversation with this 19-21 year old awhile back, that I just can't relate to these youngins anymore, and then blinked to people standing over my grave on a cold, cloudy day. Then I realized I'm lunching, and shouldn't start thi king like this at least for another 10 years

I'll be 44 in January. Hate my dead end job but only staying because I have to financially and I've already got 17 years of state service. Actively been trying to go to another agency but I'm capped out salary wise at my position (have been for 8+ years) so I'm at a disadvantage for lateral moves. Done about 6 interviews in the last 18 months but no offers. The only pay raise I see these days is when the union gets new contracts every 3-4 years and then it's only been 3% jumps (and I think that's happened twice since I've been capped out). I'm looking at another 11 years before I can smell a pension (that I'm paying 9% of my salary into) and even then it's disadvantageous to retire until I'm 63. So...another 19 years. **** me. Btw, Captain Planet sucked. 

Edit..pls i hope no one thinks I'm being ungrateful..I just wish I could choose a career that has meaning and doesn't fill me with boredom and dread every day. It gives me too much time to be angry about the US. 

Archived