Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Who To Root For/Against Thread

kleese

Just nice to be able to realistically post one of these...

First of all, our main focus is simple... The NFC East. 9-7 could very well win it again. The key game of course is our Monday Nighter with the Giants... If that goes our way then the division is likely to be a tight race down the last quarter of the season.

In the race for the division, rooting interests are simple... Root against the Giants and Cowboys (shouldn't be too hard :)).

But I am not looking just at the division... That last wild card spot in the NFC is also wide open and I beleive 9-7 could also be good enough there.

The teams vying for that spot are the Saints, Bucs, Vikings, and Seahawks. There are other teams still technically alive, but the teams I listed are the ones I beleive are a treat to go 9-7 or better. We have a huge advantage in that we already hold the tie breaker with the Saints, Vikes, and Bucs.

Week 15

There are two glaringly obvious ones here:

1. Falcons over Giants

2. Packers over Bears

Either of those go our way and we officially control our own destiny. And if either of those go our way, it also gives us a little breathing room if we happen to lose on Sunday... The Giants could very well lose again next week at Baltimore and the Bears would be in full free fall mode and could lose either at Arizona or at Detroit. By far and away, as a fan, those are the two games you should be watching most closely.

3. Bills over Seahawks

4. Steelers over Cowboys

It would be nice for Seattle to drop this one, but we really need them to lose one of their last two against NFC teams. Similar situation for Cowboys... Losing to Pittsburgh only matters to us if they then also lose to New Orleans.

5. Patriots over 49ers

Catching the Niners is a longshot considering they need to lose out and end at home with Arizona, but might as well root against them just in case.

6. Rams/Vikings... That could go either way. I'd say root for the Rams because they would need to win out to pass us (and we'd have to lose again) but I really don't view either team as a threat.

7. Bucs/Saints is irrelevant to us.... Only ways Bucs pass us is if they win out and we go 8-8 and we all know we are out of it anyway if we go 8-8.

8. Depending on your perspective, maybe keep an eye on Broncos/Ravens. If Denver wins, Baltimore will be desperate when they play the Giants next week. I guess you could also argue they'd be collapsing and maybe not in a good frame to play the Giants. Either way, it probably bears watching a little bit.

The main focus is by far and away the Falcons and Packers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

This is fun to play with. I especially like simulation if the winners are picked by higher ranked offense.

When I went through each game one by one with my predictions I was surprised when I had the Bills making the playoffs.

For the record, my final standings are...

AFC

1. Houston 14-2

2. New England 13-3

3. Denver 13-3

4. Baltimore 12-4

5. Pittsburgh 11-5

6. Buffalo 9-7

NFC

1. Atlanta 13-3

2. Green Bay 12-4

3. San Francisco 11-4-1

4. NFC East Winner 8-8

5. Chicago 12-4

6. Seattle 11-5

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

This is fun to play with. I especially like simulation if the winners are picked by higher ranked offense.

When I went through each game one by one with my predictions I was surprised when I had the Bills making the playoffs.

For the record, my final standings are...

AFC

1. Houston 14-2

2. New England 13-3

3. Denver 13-3

4. Baltimore 12-4

5. Pittsburgh 11-5

6. Buffalo 9-7

NFC

1. Atlanta 13-3

2. Green Bay 12-4

3. San Francisco 11-4-1

4. NFC East Winner 8-8

5. Chicago 12-4

6. Seattle 11-5

haha i have us playing the bucs at FedEx Field. skins finishing the regular season at 10-6

We NEED the Packers to the win. Outside of that I'm not doing much scoreboard watching yet.

It would be nice, but is not essential. If the Giants win Sunday and then we beat them, they'd be 7-5, we'd be 6-6, but we'd be on track to win the tiebreaker...and the Giants still have the Saints, Falcons, and Ravens.

Love the enthusiasm I'm feeling about this team's potential; loved their victory on Thursday.

That said, we can't even beat the 2-8 Panthers or the 3-8 Rams, so what makes anyone think we can beat the Giants or even the Ravens?

Love the enthusiasm I'm feeling about this team's potential; loved their victory on Thursday.

That said, we can't even beat the 2-8 Panthers or the 3-8 Rams, so what makes anyone think we can beat the Giants or even the Ravens?

Because the man behind center gives us a chance every single game to win. We almost beat the Giants and were it not for a blown coverage, should have beat them a month ago plus they have struggled recently. The Ravens have also struggled and are not at full strength defensively. Those are our two toughest opponents so I feel like we have a shot to finish 4-1 in the last five games.

The transitive property means nothing in the NFL.

Why did the Jets fall one play short of winning in New Enland and then were absolutely humiliated by the same team on their home field a few weeks later?

It's a week to week league. The better teams manage to string the most good weeks together.

I've been operating under the assumption that no wildcard will come out of the East this year, and that if we wanted in, we needed to win. Seeing as the North has three teams above .500, the West has 2 teams, and the South has two teams there plus a rampaging 5-5 team, I don't know if we'll get lucky enough. Maybe if we hold all the tiebreakers, but I'm focused 100% on winning the east.

Luckily, GB should have a great shot at winning, and then we play them. If we pull off a win, suddenly we're tied for first and own the tiebreaker on account of us potentially having a 3-1 record in the East.

Then we just have to keep winning, no matter what. Just like DJ Khalid said.

Archived