Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Igbinoghene, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas

CapsSkins

Reading between the lines, it looks like Leno's hip injury, combined with his age, might be career threatening and we had no choice but to cut him prior to his surgery next week.

I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, MrJL said:

we have Ridgeway, who was a solid enough player Dallas tried to play games with the QB position to keep him(and so Quinn would be his coach), and Mathis as backups.  They have less pedigree but decent potential

Mathis cant stay on the field and Ridge is a role player, not pro bowler like Allen. 

Id be shocked if Allen leaves. I have to think he is excited about the staff. Joe Whitt is a stud!

52 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

That’s nice that he avoided jail time, but I’m still left with serious doubts about him as a person/player. When Ron made that dumb ass pick, he pitched us on Davis being raw but someone who could be molded into a great player due to the maturity and discipline that comes from growing up in a military family. A character guy if you will, but seems like it’s just the opposite. He’s a good enough stopgap for now while we focus on other positions, but he’ll need to be replaced as well sooner than later. I don’t see any chance of him ever living up to his first round draft status.

driving recklessl is stupid but it's not the most reckless thing out there

• Thumb down 1

19 minutes ago, MrJL said:

It’s kind of stupid when he’s doing it after watch his buddy’s girlfriend die from reckless driving. I’m glad his case is behind him, but it’s still disturbing.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MrJL said:

No, but when character is supposed to be one of your calling cards as a player it’s certainly a bad look

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, MrJL said:

It’s one of the more dangerous things you can do around other people without having to be a total sociopath. It’s very bad, and extremely immature for a guy his age. Shows a complete lack of care for your fellow human when you’re driving a 3,000 pound death machine that fast for ****s. Over 100mph? He’s an actual menace to society for that, any other person or kid in another car can die due to stupidity like that, in the blink of an eye. Happens every day, ruins lives. Pure selfishness. People get far too comfortable driving vehicles in their lives until something crazy happens. Statistically it’s one of the most dangerous things you can do even when you’re doing it correctly. People brush off driving-related crimes too easily. 

It’s a shame he’s not getting jail time. His teammates’ girlfriend died that way, as someone else said. It’s ****ing stupid and brings into a question his character and reliability for sure, when you’re talking about a potential second contract. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tyson Smith: 33 years old, injury prone but still very capable when healthy.

This is probably his last bite of the apple given his health, so he's probably amenable to a team offering a big payday.

I could see us giving him a two or three year contract that we can get out of easily after this year or the next, if needed.

A rookie right handed qbs best friend is a veteran left tackle.

XXXXXXX

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tyron-smith-unlikely-to-return-to-cowboys-per-report-landing-spots-for-all-pro-left-tackle/

The Dallas Cowboys have several big-name free agents the franchise will have to make decisions on, but no name is bigger than left tackle Tyron Smith.

The 33-year-old would attract interest on the open market, and it does appear he will be playing elsewhere for the first time in his NFL career. 

According to NFL Media, Smith is unlikely to return to Dallas in 2024.

This is a notable development, as Cowboys EVP Stephen Jones said earlier this week that the franchise wanted to keep Smith, calling him a Hall of Famer. However, Dallas will apparently be reallocating its financial resources elsewhere. 

The Dallas Morning News reported that it became clear at the NFL Combine that the two sides stand drastically apart in regards to financial framework.

player headshot
team logo
Tyron Smith
DAL • OT • #77
View Profile

Smith is a five-time All-Pro and eight-time Pro Bowler who was selected by Dallas with the No. 9 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft out of USC. He has started in all 161 career games played for the Cowboys, but has not played a full season since 2015.

Smith was held to four games played in 2022 due to a torn hamstring, and a neck issue in 2020 cost him all but two games. Still, when in the lineup, Smith has been an effective blind-side blocker.

In 2023, PFF gave Smith an 88.6 pass-blocking grade, the highest in the entire league among offensive linemen to play 100 or more snaps.

According to Spotrac's market value tool, Smith could fetch a one-year, $7,481,509 deal. That contract would make him the No. 18 highest-paid left tackle in the NFL for 2024.

However, Smith's price tag could be higher depending on how many teams are interested in a veteran left tackle. There should be several. 

Who are a couple of teams that could be interested in Smith? Let's take a look. 

1. Kansas City Chiefs

If the Chiefs are serious about the three-peat, Smith would be a good addition. Left tackle Donovan Smith is a free agent, so there's a "help wanted" sign for Patrick Mahomes' blind-side blocker. The Chiefs offensive line play is a reason this squad has become a dynasty, but there's no doubt the tackles can be upgraded. If Smith wants to chase a ring, Kansas City would be the best option. Granted, the Chiefs aren't exactly flush with cash (just $3,462,361), so Smith likely would find more money elsewhere. But, who wouldn't want to block for Mahomes and compete for a Super Bowl?

2. Los Angeles Rams

The Cali boy headed back to Cali. Smith played his high school ball in Moreno Valley and played his college football at Southern Cal. The Rams need a new left tackle, and general manager Les Snead could decide to invest in Smith and use his first-round pick elsewhere. Smith's injury history is a red flag, but what we know about the Rams is that they want to win now. 

3. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS

Who says Smith even has to leave the division? He could potentially join forces with Dan Quinn in Washington. The Commanders seem like a logical landing spot for two reasons. One, Washington can afford to pay Smith whatever he wants, as the Commanders have $91,542,471 in cap space, which trails just the New England Patriots.

Second, the Commanders now have a need at left tackle after cutting veteran Charles Leno earlier this week. Washington is revamping the offensive line, and that could include adding a veteran left tackle to protect rookie QBs Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels. 

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Nearly posted about him earlier. Injuries a concern, durability. One story I read suggested he’d take a discount for Jerry. Lot of love still there.

In terms of us, does the Quinn factor play a part. Do we offer him 2 years 25-30mil  fully guaranteed to tide us over ? 

43 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s one of the more dangerous things you can do around other people without having to be a total sociopath. It’s very bad, and extremely immature for a guy his age. Shows a complete lack of care for your fellow human when you’re driving a 3,000 pound death machine that fast for ****s. Over 100mph? He’s an actual menace to society for that, any other person or kid in another car can die due to stupidity like that, in the blink of an eye. Happens every day, ruins lives. Pure selfishness. People get far too comfortable driving vehicles in their lives until something crazy happens. Statistically it’s one of the most dangerous things you can do even when you’re doing it correctly. People brush off driving-related crimes too easily. 

It’s a shame he’s not getting jail time. His teammates’ girlfriend died that way, as someone else said. It’s ****ing stupid and brings into a question his character and reliability for sure, when you’re talking about a potential second contract. 

And it wasn’t on the highway it was in a residential area. Could have easily killed someone.

**** him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

Has a chronic back condition and has not played a full season since 2015. Over the last 4 seasons he’s missed 37 games.

Still a top 5 OT when he is healthy, but he’s never healthy.

• Like 7

I could be way off but reading the Tea Leaves tells me that we are either going to roll with Howell another year at Qb or we're going to grab a Veteran FA QB. I think we will trade down a few spots and draft a stud LT like Joe Alt and pick up a few more picks to add to the roster. It seems inevitable. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Thumb down 3

4 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

I could be way off but reading the Tea Leaves tells me that we are either going to roll with Howell another year at Qb or we're going to grab a Veteran FA QB. I think we will trade down a few spots and draft a stud LT like Joe Alt and pick up a few more picks to add to the roster. It seems inevitable. 

I’m kinda feeling that opinion too, but mine is that they will trade out of the 2 and get more picks and depending on where that comes from and if possible will grab a JJ McCarthy or Bo Nix type and let Howell start the season as the starter and that at anytime he could be replaced by said draft pick…. just my opinion though ..

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, illone said:

Mathis cant stay on the field and Ridge is a role player, not pro bowler like Allen. 

Id be shocked if Allen leaves. I have to think he is excited about the staff. Joe Whitt is a stud!

I mentioned on here a few days ago that I would get Calais Campbell on a 1 year deal, I know he's 37 but he had similar stats to Jonathan Allen last year. 

10 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

You’re way off.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

Trusting the new front office.  The Gates cut is hilarious.  We saved jack **** salary cap wise cutting him  The brass must have finished their internal evaluations, saw Gates’ film, and been Awww Hell No ! 😊

Peters after looking at just one game of his...

giphy.gif

• Haha 8

Tyron Smith to me is kind of like the SF and Trent Williams situation (Trent was 31 when traded).  I'll bet he is on Peters/Quinn's radar.

Edited by HigSkin

30 minutes ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Yeah, not happening. You pick up a vet qb with no blue chip prospect behind him and we’re right back in this spot in a few years

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Tyson Smith: 33 years old, injury prone but still very capable when healthy.

This is probably his last bite of the apple given his health, so he's probably amenable to a team offering a big payday.

I could see us giving him a two or three year contract that we can get out of easily after this year or the next, if needed.

A rookie right handed qbs best friend is a veteran left tackle

giphy.gif

• Haha 5