Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Think about it, 3 of RR's top picks on defense will be in dogfights for playing time this year with 2 of them possibly on the roster bubble (Mathis, Forbes). Not to mention Ron's prize pick, Chase Young is already gone as is Sweat. What a testament to his time in DC. 

Forbes isn't gone unless he's traded.

Mathis is disappointing though

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Think about it, 3 of RR's top picks on defense will be in dogfights for playing time this year with 2 of them possibly on the roster bubble (Mathis, Forbes). Not to mention Ron's prize pick, Chase Young is already gone as is Sweat. What a testament to his time in DC. 

Rivera is a laughingstock. Knew it would get even worse once Kyle Smith was let go. At least Smith seemed to be hitting pretty regularly on the high picks. I wonder if he'd have drafted Herbert or Tua if he was the one in charge.

If asked today, Rivera would double-down on the Jamin Davis pick just like he does with Young. Dude is a buffoon.

• Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Rivera is a laughingstock. Knew it would get even worse once Kyle Smith was let go. At least Smith seemed to be hitting pretty regularly on the high picks. I wonder if he'd have drafted Herbert or Tua if he was the one in charge.

If asked today, Rivera would double-down on the Jamin Davis pick just like he does with Young. Dude is a buffoon.

five or six months before the draft, before we named Rivera coach we played against the Giants in the next to the last game of the 2019 season

the announcers called it the Chase Young Bowl

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MrJL said:

five or six months before the draft, before we named Rivera coach we played against the Giants in the next to the last game of the 2019 season

And even back then some people seemed to be aware that Chase Young took plays off and disappeared vs elite competition. It was never the slam dunk pick that people make it out to be.

16 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

And even back then some people seemed to be aware that Chase Young took plays off and disappeared vs elite competition. It was never the slam dunk pick that people make it out to be.

mabye a few guys around here. As far as the national media that was a slam dunk generational once in a lifetime player. The hype was too strong to fault ron for chase being  lazy bum

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dunfer said:

mabye a few guys around here. As far as the national media that was a slam dunk generational once in a lifetime player. The hype was too strong to fault ron for chase being  lazy bum

The national media make 0 draft picks every year. Yet even with that being a fact they were still about as successful drafting players as Ron Rivera.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, MrJL said:

And then we were penalized four years of draft picks.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

The national media make 0 draft picks every year. Yet even with that being a fact they were still about as successful drafting players as Ron Rivera.

hopefully they got it right this year for us

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, MrJL said:

Forbes isn't gone unless traded.

I wouldn’t count on that, and Forbes definitely better not.

IF after multiple mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season games, Quinn, and his defensive staff, feel that Forbes is broken beyond repair, and he will never hack it in the NFL and AP tries to trade him, but gets no takers-- they will keep a more promising player on the roster and cut him without remorse.

Message sent...

No free, on the job, remedial training rides for anyone, under this regime.

This aint Rivera, and his bumbling buffoon show, making decisions anymore.

There's  a new sheriff in town, and he's running a meritocracy.

Spots will be earned-- without deference given to when, or even whether, players were drafted.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Thumb up 1

20 hours ago, MrJL said:

Forbes isn't gone unless he's traded.

Nah.

They will certainly cut Forbes if he doesn't show advancement in the offseason, training camp and preseason workouts.

Keep in mind, this new regime didn't choose him or hire him. So they have no attachment to him.

Mathis better start looking over his shoulder, as Newton is coming in with a lot of hype.

If that hype turns out to be reality,  Mathis may be changing his address too.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Emmanuel Forbes is too good to cut.   He was a three year player in college and a three year starter (meaning he started as a true freshman).  He played in the SEC the best conference in college football. He was second team all SEC as a true sophomore and first team all SEC as a junior.  He set the D1 record for most interception return for a TD.  The odds that a college player that good completely busts in the NFL is low.  He may not live up to his 1st round draft pick status but he is definitely roster worthy.  Even his very disappointing rookie season, he had a 51 PFF grade.  The same grade as fellow first rounder NY Giants corner Deonte Banks had last season and higher than Derek Stingley's (3rd overall pick in 2022 draft) rookie season grade in 2022  who had a 49 PFF grade in 2022.  You don't give up on that type of talent after a year.  Derek Stingley is a perfect example why.  After getting a 49 PFF grade as a rookie he bounced back with an 81 last year and played his part in the Houston Texans turnaround.  

I am not going to lie, if given a redo with that pick, if I was the GM I probably wouldn't draft Forbes, but even if he was picked too high, he is still super talented and it would be foolish to give up on him after one season.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Emmanuel Forbes is too good to cut.   He was a three year player in college and a three year starter (meaning he started as a true freshman).  He played in the SEC the best conference in college football. He was second team all SEC as a true sophomore and first team all SEC as a junior.  He set the D1 record for most interception return for a TD.  The odds that a college player that good completely busts in the NFL is low.  He may not live up to his 1st round draft pick status but he is definitely roster worthy.  Even his very disappointing rookie season, he had a 51 PFF grade.  The same grade as fellow first rounder NY Giants corner Deonte Banks had last season and higher than Derek Stingley's (3rd overall pick in 2022 draft) rookie season grade in 2022  who had a 49 PFF grade in 2022.  You don't give up on that type of talent after a year.  Derek Stingley is a perfect example why.  After getting a 49 PFF grade as a rookie he bounced back with an 81 last year and played his part in the Houston Texans turnaround.  

I am not going to lie, if given a redo with that pick, if I was the GM I probably wouldn't draft Forbes, but even if he was picked too high, he is still super talented and it would be foolish to give up on him after one season.

This is true, but you can be an average NFL player that doesn’t fit in a new coach’s scheme.

I don’t think he will be cut but when Whitt and DQ talk about “run and hit” players, physical tacklers, etc. does any of that sound like Forbes. Yes, he has ball skills. If the new scheme requires him to play more press man, can he do that?

Unless he really commits to playing in the hard nosed style that they are asking of their players I would not be surprised if he gets traded at some point.

But he is talented and maybe he shows them enough that he sticks around until we build up the roster more.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Nah.

They will certainly cut Forbes if he doesn't show advancement in the offseason, training camp and preseason workouts.

Keep in mind, this new regime didn't choose him or hire him. So they have no attachment to him.

Mathis better start looking over his shoulder, as Newton is coming in with a lot of hype.

They won’t cut Forbes. He’s get traded at worst.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

This is true, but you can be an average NFL player that doesn’t fit in a new coach’s scheme.

I don’t think he will be cut but when Whitt and DQ talk about “run and hit” players, physical tacklers, etc. does any of that sound like Forbes. Yes, he has ball skills. If the new scheme requires him to play more press man, can he do that?

Unless he really commits to playing in the hard nosed style that they are asking of their players I would not be surprised if he gets traded at some point.

But he is talented and maybe he shows them enough that he sticks around until we build up the roster more.

Good coaches adapt scheme to player, and I don't think they're going to leave Forbes in island single coverages in press.  If they wanted to play a lot of that, they wouldn't have drafted Sainristil either.  Sainristil is a pretty similar player to Forbes in skill set.  That suggests to me that guys like Forbes are in the plans.

Forbes has some trouble getting off run blocks, but he's actually a hard hitter.  He got thrown out of the Seahawks game last season for hitting Tyler Lockett too hard.  It was a bang bang play that ended up being helmet to helmet because Lockett fell as he tried to complete the catch and his head unexpectedly dropped, but it showed that Forbes is physical at the catch point.  His first real highlight play was also blowing up a screen or swing pass in the first preseason game, which is a trait that pops from his college cut ups.  He closes hard when he reads these flat throws fast.

Davis is the only traditional press man DB they added to the roster this off-season.  I think they're going to play most of the secondary in off coverages, press and reroute the few big match ups to slow down timing, and try and generate a lot of turnovers off of zone match and zone, and I think those will be paired really well with creative pressure schemes.  We've finally got the linebackers to diversify our coverages and pressures, and still play the run well even if we get super aggressive with our IDLs.

• Like 11

Nobody has any idea idea how good Forbes can be.  He was put in the worst possible situation with the worst possible coaching in a terrible scheme. 

Before we can pass judgement on him, he has to have an opportunity to play in a better situation with better coaching.  

I look at this as his rookie year. 

• Like 10
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nobody has any idea idea how good Forbes can be.  He was put in the worst possible situation with the worst possible coaching in a terrible scheme. 

Before we can pass judgement on him, he has to have an opportunity to play in a better situation with better coaching.  

I look at this as his rookie year. 

I sure hope this to be true but I’m not counting on him to ever become the CB we drafted him so/too high to become, coaching or not… 

1 hour ago, SkinsGuy said:

Nah.

It doesn’t matter if a high pick was used to get them; if they fail to make the cut in training camp; there gone.

It doesn’t matter what they did in college or where they were drafted at. The will have to earn to keep their roster spot and if they get beaten out in camp; they are gone.

It’s a new regime. It’s a complete reset. The questionable holdovers have to earn a spot.  I think only Terry, Jarod and Jonathan are the only holdovers that are locks to make it. Everyone else  has a chance to be beaten out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

think only Terry, Jarod and Jonathan are the only holdovers that are locks to make it. Everyone else  has a chance to be beaten out.

I can only assume you meant to say daron maybe jahan and not Jarod but this is absurd.

There are plenty of other locks on this roster.

Sam cosmi is a no brainer.

There is absolutely no reason to believe quan Martin isn't a roster lock, he was a high pick last year and came on strong at the end of the year.

Forbes is virtually a lock, teams very rarely let first round picks go after a bad rookie season even if it is a totally new regime, unless he comes in totally out of shape and looks hopelessly lost or does something stupid off the field I'd be extremely surprised if he didn't make the team

Either daron or jahan whichever isn't the one you meant to refer to is a lock.

Brian robinson is a lock, we didn't do anywhere near enough at the position to think he might not get a roster spot.

Tress way is a lock.

Then there's the guys who could get beat out for starter positions but are almost certain to earn a spot on this roster like st juste and jamin davis and a few more who are possible cuts but still above 50 percent of making the roster.

We had plenty of turnover this year but no way we only have 3 roster locks from last year

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Keep Forbes. He fits in with what we are trying to build here. When they pass that new rule where you can have as many players on the field as you want as long as their total weight does not exceed 2500 pounds, we are going to destroy EVERYBODY!!!.

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I wouldn’t count on that, and Forbes definitely better not.

IF after multiple mini-camps, training camp, and pre-season games, Quinn, and his defensive staff, feel that Forbes is broken beyond repair, and he will never hack it in the NFL and AP tries to trade him, but gets no takers-- they will keep a more promising player on the roster and cut him without remorse.

Message sent...

No free, on the job, remedial training rides for anyone, under this regime.

This aint Rivera, and his bumbling buffoon show, making decisions anymore.

There's  a new sheriff in town, and he's running a meritocracy.

Spots will be earned-- without deference given to when, or even whether, players were drafted.

I agree, and we have more physical corners who can run that we've added. I think he's in a dogfight for his roster spot.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 2:46 PM, MrJL said:

That's hilarious in hindsight.  Giants fans were probably crushed they missed out on the great chase young.  

I was so pumped when the Patriots kicked a last minute field goal against the broncos late in the year.  We leaped them into the 2 spot.  My first thought was how much the pats were going to regret hitting that meaningless kick to win that game, but who knows how it will play out.

I found it interesting the team basically sidestepped addressing outside corner in the draft or free agency. Maybe that's partly the way things just fell and they made some attempts. But I'm not sure that's true or not. They did sign someone Michael Davis, but he's a low end dart throw type. Didn't try to retain Fuller. Didn't really seem in on another other starter level CB guys. And they certainly could have used draft picks on an outside guy. Particularly at 40, where there were some big names still out there (DeJean and McKinstry in particular). For better or worse, I get the feel this staff likes the guys on the roster at least decently.

I have no idea if Forbes will ever be a reliable starting CB, but I feel pretty confident with the new staff/scheme alone that he will get burnt less while also having a few big plays (game clinching or pick 6) this year.  What could have been early struggles for an undersized rookie were exacerbated by an incompetent staff.  

• Like 4