Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I am not convinced that Jamin Davis makes this roster.

He might for 2024 anyway.

We already have a 60% roster turnover. I expect more as some of the holdovers won’t make out of training camp. Then even some more won’t perform this season and will be gone next offseason.

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

He might for 2024 anyway.

We already have a 60% roster turnover. I expect more as some of the holdovers won’t make out of training camp. Then even some more won’t perform this season and will be gone next offseason.

DL and secondary are packed.

Walker, Wagner, Luvu, Magee and I guess Davis. Not sure if I'm missing anyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Wow. What a waste it would be if Jamin Davis gets cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

It’s not out of the question. But clearly this organization values athleticism and Jamin is one heck of an athlete. I’m hopeful they can bring the best out of him this year but if they can’t then I’m happy to see him go. 

Not sure in what world Jamin Davis gets cut. I get that people view him as a disappointment given his draft position, but he's a competent player and this team basically had no LBs besides him until March. Sure, it signed a few guys and drafted a Day 3 guy. But he's still one of their top 3 LBs and a bona fide NFL player. At worst, you trade a guy like that for a late round pick. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, moondog said:

It’s not out of the question. But clearly this organization values athleticism and Jamin is one heck of an athlete. I’m hopeful they can bring the best out of him this year but if they can’t then I’m happy to see him go. 

He is a great athlete and this regime definitely places a high  value on athleticism.

However, I think they value character, ethical behavior,  being forthright, transparent, and fully accountable for your actions, even more, and there are significant indications that Jamin may well be critically deficient in those qualities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Same, could see him getting shipped out for a late day 3 pick towards the end of the summer. Heck, maybe we find an OT on a team needing LB help.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Pittman,

Looking at Walker's history I think I can see him being one of those vets signed to the practice squad

Posted (edited)

Jamin davis has been an adequate starter most of his career who's gotten incrementally better every year, mykal walker has bounced around rosters and practice squads.

I wouldn't put him ahead of davis quite yet.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Jamin davis has been an adequate starter most of his career who's gotten incrementally better every year, mykal walker has bounced around rosters and practice squads.

I wouldn't put him ahead of davis quite yet.

Yes, let's see how he does this year with some likely better coaching and influence from players like Wagner. 

I think we’re stuck with Davis at least for this year, but I will be happy to see him go. He’s a daily reminder that Ron Rivera, while a man of character himself, was a poor judge of character in others. As has been stated, he’s not worthless as a player, so until we can upgrade he stays. But honestly, I’d rather not have him around our young players if possible. Just an awful draft pick by Rivera. Ron is a good coach, and a good man, but he simply did not have what it takes to be a GM, not even close. We would’ve been better off with Snidley and Vinny making the picks off Kuipers big board the last four years. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

He’s at least a solid starter who only costs about $4M on the cap. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t make the roster. How he is used will be interesting though - I’d like to see him used more in pass rush. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

He’s at least a solid starter who only costs about $4M on the cap. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t make the roster. How he is used will be interesting though - I’d like to see him used more in pass rush. 

I agree, but that is definite starter money and we have two starters in place. 

If it comes down to a roster spot and you can add an OL and replace Davis with a cheap ST player, it's not the worst move.

Also, I just want to add. I did not say the Davis is not making this roster. Just that I don't think it's a 100% lock. I don't know his personality in the lockerroom either.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

agree, but that is definite starter money and we have two starters in place

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't first round rookie contracts fully guaranteed?

Would we save anything by cutting him?

Edited by redskinss

51 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree, but that is definite starter money and we have two starters in place. 

If it comes down to a roster spot and you can add an OL and replace Davis with a cheap ST player, it's not the worst move.

Also, I just want to add. I did not say the Davis is not making this roster. Just that I don't think it's a 100% lock. I don't know his personality in the lockerroom either.

He will have to earn his spot for sure. But his film and play is good enough that he justifies his place. I wouldn’t be surprised if we use some 3-4 looks in base - we kind of have the personnel for it. 

• Like 2

Jamin might still get suspended for his street racing this year.. i wouldn't count on him contributing much before he gets cut or traded. Just another reminder of the atrocious job Rivera did as a HC and GM. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb down 1

17 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't first round rookie contracts fully guaranteed?

Would we save anything by cutting him?

Correct - the whole of Davis four year deal was guaranteed. The 5th year option is a team option and we declined that (to no great surprise).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

49 minutes ago, Commander Chaaarmnder said:

I’m hoping that Bobby Wagner has more gas in the tank than everyone thinks, and can turn into a London Fletcher 2.0.

Wishful thinking?  Probably, but damn that would be cool.

Lead the league in tackles last year, so I’m optimistic about ‘24.  Beyond that?  Who knows… hopefully he’s able to mentor up Davis and/or Magee.

If Charles Leno is in good condition following his hip surgery, I'm wondering what the level of interest would be in him rejoining the team. Would the team be interested? Would Leno be interested? If we still wanted to sign a veteran OT, would he be the choice over Donovan Smith or Andrus Peat (the other two names that I've heard most often in this regard)?

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 9:35 PM, Koolblue13 said:

He was one of those picks where Ron thought he was smarter than everyone else, same with Forbes. When we drafted both of them, both times I thought to myself, what the heck was Ron thinking. He probably makes the roster, but I don’t expect much out of him, and wouldn’t mind if he gets cut. Hopefully for us, he will have a pretty good year, and shows great improvement and gets extended, or signs a decent enough deal next year elsewhere that he qualifies us for a comp pick. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

He was one of those picks where Ron thought he was smarter than everyone else, same with Forbes. When we drafted both of them, both times I thought to myself, what the heck was Ron thinking. He probably makes the roster, but I don’t expect much out of him, and wouldn’t mind if he gets cut. Hopefully for us, he will have a pretty good year, and shows great improvement and gets extended, or signs a decent enough deal next year elsewhere that he qualifies us for a comp pick. 

Think about it, 3 of RR's top picks on defense will be in dogfights for playing time this year with 2 of them possibly on the roster bubble (Mathis, Forbes). Not to mention Ron's prize pick, Chase Young is already gone as is Sweat. What a testament to his time in DC. 

• Like 2