Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Rams - The One Where One Gets Rammed

zCommander

I feel for Cheese. Terrific guy who has struggled massively all year. But he's quite literally saying he's surprised Rivera stood by him all year. Amazing.

Oh **** him. I don't care if Cheese Man is the nicest person in the history of the entire universe. He can't snap a football for **** so he's an asshole imo. 🤣

-CraHi24hirpxvYVX3OZXjPrcus=.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Sam being a promising starter was one of those chips we needed to secure a good coach and GM. Makes it that much harder to lure quality personnel or players when we don’t have that position already figured out.

#3 overall pick would essentially function as the same

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

#3 overall pick would essentially function as the same

not really when we still need top 10 selections in other positions. Our roster isnt a positive...our facilities arent a positive. I cant think of anything thats a positive except its a job in the nfl...but as far as longevity its got to be bottom of the barrel

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, dunfer said:

not really when we still need top 10 selections in other positions. Our roster isnt a positive...our facilities arent a positive. I cant think of anything thats a positive except its a job in the nfl...but as far as longevity its got to be bottom of the barrel

New & well-regarded ownership group, big media market, top-5 pick in a strong QB class, two 2nd round picks, $90M of cap space, incoming GM can pick his coach. There are warts for sure but it's not a bad gig.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

48 minutes ago, Conn said:

You’re spiraling for no reason, basically. 

Fair!

Maybe I jus need to step away for a second and see how things play out. You have the right to reiterate how you told me so and what I'm feeling is pointless because of it. My Dad jus tried the same thing. I got other things on my mind and this isnt a distraction right now.

42 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

Sam being a promising starter was one of those chips we needed to secure a good coach and GM. Makes it that much harder to lure quality personnel or players when we don’t have that position already figured out.

The best GM and HC candidates probably already have well-formed opinions about Sam. I don't think today changed anything.

Chargers are probably the most attractive job based on the roster, but ultimately ownership support and stability may matter the most.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

This right here. Next years class is not good. Yes someone will rise during the season. But none of them are going to be close to the top 5 qb's in this class. Hell if the new GM likes Sam I would still be tempted to use the high second rounder on Nix or Penix over any of next years QB's. And yes this years QB's have flaws. ALL OF THEM DO every year. It is the GM and coaches job to work around their flaws. I still think Sam can be a good starter in this league. What this season has proven to me is he most likely will never be a game changing superstar. 

As I said earlier in the thread I am fine with trading up for one of the top 2, sitting pat and picking whats left at 4 or picking a guy to compete against Sam in the second or a trade up late into round 1 for the 5th year option. But we MUST come away with one of the top 5 guys in this draft IMO.

I’m with all this apart from taking a QB in the 2nd round. That does not make sense to me.

If I’m the new GM (obviously I won’t be - couldn’t take the pay cut) I’m evaluating Sam and the top QBs in the draft. Sam’s shown he can play, but he’s also shown there are flaws and he’s far from a sure thing. If I like one of Williams, Mayes or maybe Daniel’s over Howell than I’m doing what I need to do to get one of them.

In that scenario I come back 2\3rd round and look to get that QB help - O’line/WR/3rd down back/TE.

if I don’t rate the top QBs or I can’t get into a position to pick a guy I rate much higher than Sam then I’m going to build around Sam and see how he progresses next season. I’m using those 2nd and 3rd round picks for that and maybe taking another QB later as a possible developmental backup.

Im not using a 2nd round pick on a QB who I’m

not sure has a much higher ceiling than Sam.

8 minutes ago, profusion said:

The best GM and HC candidates probably already have well-formed opinions about Sam. I don't think today changed anything.

Chargers are probably the most attractive job based on the roster, but ultimately ownership support and stability may matter the most.

Chargers have a really ****ty cap position and some players on big deals that will be hard to move. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Count me as wanting to stick with Sam for the time being. Draft OL this offseason and fill holes, build up the offense. Then, if Sam is not the answer after another year, you have a stable OL/offense ready for a drafted QB to step in. 

QB is not the greatest need or biggest hole on offense (or defense) right now.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I’m with all this apart from taking a QB in the 2nd round. That does not make sense to me.

If I’m the new GM (obviously I won’t be - couldn’t take the pay cut) I’m evaluating Sam and the top QBs in the draft. Sam’s shown he can play, but he’s also shown there are flaws and he’s far from a sure thing. If I like one of Williams, Mayes or maybe Daniel’s over Howell than I’m doing what I need to do to get one of them.

In that scenario I come back 2\3rd round and look to get that QB help - O’line/WR/3rd down back/TE.

if I don’t rate the top QBs or I can’t get into a position to pick a guy I rate much higher than Sam then I’m going to build around Sam and see how he progresses next season. I’m using those 2nd and 3rd round picks for that and maybe taking another QB later as a possible developmental backup.

Im not using a 2nd round pick on a QB who I’m

not sure has a much higher ceiling than Sam.

Chargers have a really ****ty cap position and some players on big deals that will be hard to move. 

Yep. Where I am at is, whether it is Sam or a new QB, I am hard pressed to use any more than one of the top 5 picks on defense. I would also primarily focus my FA dollars on offense. Success next year would be a middling record but with a top 10 and promising offense where whoever is at the QB helm looks like the guy

1 minute ago, Metalhead said:

Count me as wanting to stick with Sam for the time being. Draft OL this offseason and fill holes, build up the offense. Then, if Sam is not the answer after another year, you have a stable OL/offense ready for a drafted QB to step in. 

QB is not the greatest need or biggest hole on offense (or defense) right now.

You can do both if you want to. We have the cap $ and draft resources to fill most of the holes on offense if we truly want to. 

5 minutes ago, method man said:

You can do both if you want to. We have the cap $ and draft resources to fill most of the holes on offense if we truly want to. 

Maybe. With the draft you control who you select. Free agency can be an even greater crapshoot due to other variables - offers from contending teams, front office upheavel, poor culture, current loser environment.

I still look at drafting a QB with our first as a waste. It's all about opportunity cost. The available talent to fill the OL hole would then drop a round in quality.