Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread ~ The Commanders vs. The Giants - A Giant Opportunity!

zCommander

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Trashy Giant fans are everywhere. They Suck

He was right, Rivera is a punch line...sad and tough to see him run this team until the end of the season.

Ron and his ill-prepared staff/team are making a mockery of this team.

That's what bugs me the most as to making a mockery of this team.  

The dude has complained nonstop about wanting the fans back, then he was given an amazing opportunity to capitalize on helping restore the franchise.  And instead of jumping on that he in my book did the reverse with one of the oddest most uninspiring off season's this team ever had.  Then he caps it off by praising Dan well past a period where he had to.   Has zero sense of urgency.  Makes a series of dumb and delusional statements.  And all that crap spilled right into the season.

I am though an optimistic about this team and its future.  I think Ron is likely organically setting us up for the future even though he didn't intend to do it.  His bad start helped make this team sellers for a change.   And now we are on a fast track for a top 10 pick in maybe the best draft to have a top 10 pick than any draft I can recall.   

I don't think this is a crappy roster.  I think its mediocre but with crap coaching.  If Howell ends up the goods, this team IMO will be good as soon as 2024.  I don't think this is a long rebuild.  And judging by what Keim and Russini said weeks back I get the vibe that they plan to have an aggressive off season for a change.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I did not take it as him trolling Ron as much as comisrating with him. It's not exactly a secret Ron is gone at the end of the year, and he should be./ But while he has certainly made it easier, the organizational structure and being Dan.s team has made it way worse. 

Normally I'd agree but considering context I think its him trolling.  He taking his share of shots in his podcast appearances aimed at Ron.  

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's what bugs me the most as to making a mockery of this team.  

The dude has complained nonstop about wanting the fans back, then he was given an amazing opportunity to capitalize on helping restore the franchise.  And instead of jumping on that he in my book did the reverse with one of the oddest most uninspiring off season's this team ever had.  Then he caps it off by praising Dan well past a period where he had to.   Has zero sense of urgency.  Makes a series of dumb and delusional statements.  And all that crap spilled right into the season.

I am though an optimism about this team and its future.  I think Ron is likely organically setting us up for the future.  His bad start helped make this team sellers for a change.   And now we are on a fast track for a top 10 pick in maybe the best draft to have a top 10 pick that I can ever recall.   

I don't think this is a crappy roster.  I think its mediocre but with crap coaching.  If Howell ends up the goods, this team IMO will be good as soon as 2024.  I don't think this is a long rebuild.  And judging by what Keim and Russini said weeks back I get the vibe that they plan to have an aggressive off season for a change.

I too think the team has a number of solid pieces so not a crappy roster in general. I do see some of the players as being overvalued by staff and fans. There a few others that may have a better opportunity to flourish with a new regime. Heck these guys have not experienced good coaching which amazes me with the experience and resume of the staff leaders.

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The way Daniels and Penix and heck even Nix are playing, it wouldn't shock me if 4 out of the 5 first round picks are QBs.  I didn't feel that way weeks back.

As much as we need a LT, if Marvin Harrison JR. is starring at us at our pick, its incredibly tempting especially considering the top 2nd round picks would be high picks in a draft that's looking deep at tackle or you can package them to trade up.

I love Bowers, too.  But Harrison in particular is a rare can't miss WR. 

Evaluations of people much more qualified than me will matter and what I think plus $5 will get you a caramel latte at the Starbucks of your choice.

That said I don’t think Nix is a plus NFL prospect. I wouldn’t take him first round let alone top 5. Penix is a first round prospect but neither he, Williams or Mayes are absolute blue chip Andrew Luck type guys IMO. I do think Williams and Maye will be going in the first 3 picks though.

If Harrison somehow made it to our pick I’d run the pick in before someone finds out there’s been a mistake. But I can’t see it.

It might come down to Bowers or one of the LT prospects. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe he doubles down this week about send him his SB ring next year.

I actually think he's leapfogged I noticed with some Jay as a punchline HC.  Jay for his faults has some endearing qualities -- he's funny and self effacing.  Ron comes off cartoonish to me this off season through the season where he has made himself a walking-talking punchline.  Feels almost Bruce Allenish.   I didn't expect Ron to nosedive like this but he's nosediving IMO big time.

He does not care and it shows.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Normally I'd agree but considering context I think its him trolling.  He taking his share of shots in his podcast appearances aimed at Ron.  

You listen to a lot more of that than I do so I will cede to your interpretation. But maybe it was a bit of both. Anyway, Ron has earned it. He had a good chance this year to give a glimpse of what a non-Dan RR team could look like. But he has regressed IMO from past year and seems to be 100% ubnaplogetic. It's a bit frustrating, esepcially for someone like me who really was glad when he was hired. 

Oh well. it will be moot by black Monday 🙂  

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, ultravin said:

this isn't the worst.  they still have the thanksgiving self destruction of the defense game against the cowboys and the return of Chase young game against the 9ers.  

What sucks is they will prob play a good game against Dallass but still lose 24-20. They play up or down to their opponents every week.

It would be so ironic to see Howell running and diving for the endzone pylon with Chase young inches from tackling him. 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

You listen to a lot more of that than I do so I will cede to your interpretation. But maybe it was a bit of both. Anyway, Ron has earned it. He had a good chance this year to give a glimpse of what a non-Dan RR team could look like. But he has regressed IMO from past year and seems to be 100% ubnaplogetic. It's a bit frustrating, esepcially for someone like me who really was glad when he was hired. 

Oh swell. it will be moot by black Monday 🙂  

It's hard to miss that Jay is salty about Ron. Especially as to how much Ron has stressed that he's changing the culture -- Jay took that as aimed some at him.  So Jay has taken some snipes with his vintage sarcastic quips.

Knowing Jay some, I bet if Ron is canned he won't celebrate it at first because he thinks it sucks for all the assistant coaches to lose jobs, etc.  But I bet ultimately (as he typically does when he doesn't care for someone) he will take some shots at Ron again once time passes. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Evaluations of people much more qualified than me will matter and what I think plus $5 will get you a caramel latte at the Starbucks of your choice.

That said I don’t think Nix is a plus NFL prospect. I wouldn’t take him first round let alone top 5. Penix is a first round prospect but neither he, Williams or Mayes are absolute blue chip Andrew Luck type guys IMO. I do think Williams and Maye will be going in the first 3 picks though.

If Harrison somehow made it to our pick I’d run the pick in before someone finds out there’s been a mistake. But I can’t see it.

It might come down to Bowers or one of the LT prospects. 

I just had a Starbucks Latte, not carmel though, cost me $6 at the hotel, maybe its a sign for Harrison?

Daniels I think is emerging from a 2nd round guy to a top 10 if he keeps playing like this.  Penix I think has a shot, too.  Agree Nix unlikely makes it. 

I love Bowers but it would be tough for me to pass over a LT.  Tough call.  As for Harrison because of the QBs, I think there is a fighting chance he's there at 4 or 5.

Of the remaining games, its a tough run of games aside from the Rams game.  So I think we have a shot at being in the top 5

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I too think the team has a number of solid pieces so not a crappy roster in general. I do see some of the players as being overvalued by staff and fans. There a few others that may have a better opportunity to flourish with a new regime. Heck these guys have not experienced good coaching which amazes me with the experience and resume of the staff leaders.

I keep hearing everywhere, from fans at the stadium, to podcasts, to here on this board that this team has solid pieces and players, but please … outside of McLaurin, Dotson, Allen and maybe Payne there isn’t anyone 1 player outside of those 4 that can’t be replaced and improved imho… this team is not talented, specially in skilled positions 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I keep hearing everywhere, from fans at the stadium, to podcasts, to here on this board that this team has solid pieces and players, but please … outside of McLaurin, Dotson, Allen and maybe Payne there isn’t anyone 1 player outside of those 4 that can’t be replaced and improved imho… this team is not talented, specially in skilled positions 

It will be interesting to see how the players on the team respond to better coaching. I am not one who believes in miracles. But we do have some pretty telented players. They are just not being set up for success. On offense the main culprit is the oline but TE is also a major problem. On D it's the DC who still thinks it's 1960. 

Not saying most if not all couldn't be improved on but as a team I think they can be much more competitive than they have shown. They show glimpses. Get a HC that can reach these guys then lets see what we have. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

No most could be replaced for better players, but you have little opportunity to improve the full roster. That said, there are a bunch that have talent and with the correct usage and coaching can be good players, in particular a number of the last couple years draft selections which so far have not done much. The coaching has been so horrendous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Command The 414 said:

We absolutely lack real All Pro type blue chip talents. We have Allen, Payne and Terry as fringe Pro Bowl types. But not a single guy would be in the perennial All Pro conversation.

But those guys I list are building block type guys. They are studs - Terry doesn’t destroy games but he’s so dependable and consistent, even this season when he looks like he’s playing through that turf toe.

You need a blue chipper at QB, LT,

WR, Edge/pass rusher and CB.

The only position we have a blue chip player at from that list is WR. Howell has shown enough IMO to get another year to show he can lock down the QB spot.

That means we need to find dudes at LT, Edge and CB. Hard - and hideously expensive - to find those guys in free agency. The draft is absolutely key.

• Like 1

I can't believe that we committed so many turnovers. We also settled for FGs while they (of all teams) scored TDs. Leave it to Washington to cartoonishly beat themselves and wind up losing to a crap opponent. Yet another game when we outgain our opponent by around 100 yards and lose anyway. I hadn't thrown in the towel regarding making the playoffs yet, but now I have.

During Rivera's tenure here, his defenses have been shaky early on but came on strong in the later portion of the season. My gut is telling me that no such thing will happen this year. If the D doesn't come alive and if we fall short of the playoffs (both of which look likely IMO), it'll be time to fire Ron.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's hard to miss that Jay is salty about Ron. Especially as to how much Ron has stressed that he's changing the culture -- Jay took that as aimed some at him.  So Jay has taken some snipes with his vintage sarcastic quips.

Knowing Jay some, I bet if Ron is canned he won't celebrate it at first because he thinks it sucks for all the assistant coaches to lose jobs, etc.  But I bet ultimately (as he typically does when he doesn't care for someone) he will take some shots at Ron again once time passes. 

Not just the culture piece but he also implied or stated that he and his staff saw opportunities to “coach these guys up” taking a stab at Gruden’s aptitude

• Like 2