Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

On 2/1/2024 at 8:35 AM, SkinsFanPA said:

I want to put this out there, just as a comparison.  To be clear, I'm not excited about the prospect of Dan Quinn, and I hear all of the "retread" talk, and how he couldn't get it done in Atlanta...

Look at Pete Carroll.  The guy was 33-31 in 4 years with the Jets & Patriots.  Nothing exciting.  He goes to Seattle after having success at USC, and goes to the playoffs 10 times in 14 seasons, appearing in 2 Super Bowls and winning one of them.  What if Seattle had passed on him, because he was just so-so in his previous HC stints in the NFL?

I'm not saying Quinn is our guy, or that he would have the same success that Carroll had (which we would have KILLED for over the last 14 years here)...but to dismiss him out of hand simply because he was "ok" his first time around would be lazy, IMO...

Heck, Belichick was 8 games under .500 in Cleveland over 5 seasons, yet the Patriots gave him a shot...how'd that turn out?

Here are the best discussions of accepting DQ as our new HC as I've found yet. One of them is with Logan Paulsen. Both are very clear headed discussions and I feel a lot better about the move now after having watched them.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Who knows...

There is another benefit of having Chip as OC. We might get a young, hotshot OC with all kinds of pedigree and if he works wonders with whomever is the QB, teams will be coming after him from everywhere at the end of next season to poach him for their teams....just as we were trying to do with Ben Johnson.

With Chip Kelly, we wouldn't have that problem. If he hits on our QB and turns him into another Stroud, for example, other teams wouldn't be coming after Chip to make him a HC the way they would with other OC's.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Until we hear from coach Dan, we can just speculate.

Want to hear on what he’s looking for in an OC and QB coach, to key coaches.

What he thinks of the roster and why he pursued this job.

What has he learned from his tenure in Atlanta and what he will do differently.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

7 hours ago, HeHateMe75 said:

No, we can't all get along when you're suggesting we give up two future 1st round picks for Parsons...........

Lol. Man hit a nerve with that one huh? You keep coming back to it. Okay cool. You wouldn’t give up two 1st round picks next year for one of if not the best defensive player in the league. I would.

Can we get along now?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This makes me happy. Selling Jon Allen on what we're doing here was a test for the new regime, and it looks like they passed it.  I hate the idea of trading Allen, and was hoping he wouldn't ask to be dealt.  And even if he did request a trade, I would have tried to keep him anyway, like the Bears did with Jaylon Johnson.

Getting Allen and McLaurin on board with the new direction is crucial.  They're our best players, and the heart of the team.  You don't trade guys like them.  Hopefully Daron is on board too, because I'm excited to see what Quinn can do with him.  The Cowboys wanted to sign him when his FA came up and never got the chance.  I think Quinn has big plans for him.

• Like 17

10 hours ago, MrJL said:

the guy who's being drafted number 1 is the same height as Sam

And there is one thing Sam showed last year that doesnt get much discussion - he showed he can throw on the run. Make difficult throws. His first TD pass of the year to BRob running out of bounds twisting his body sidearming it was all the proof I needed that he had indeed studied Mahomes after we brought in EB and practiced what he saw. He was stepping out of bounds when the catch was made. Watch the link. Logan still thinks that pass was to him. This the QB thread??

This is what the short QBs HAVE to ace. Call it Mahomianisming.

image.png.1214b8c7a9303ca18d8ee1d56f0e281c.png

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This makes me happy. Selling Jon Allen on what we're doing here was a test for the new regime, and it looks like they passed it.  I hate the idea of trading Allen, and was hoping he wouldn't ask to be dealt.  And even if he did request a trade, I would have tried to keep him anyway, like the Bears did with Jaylon Johnson.

Getting Allen and McLaurin on board with the new direction is crucial.  They're our best players, and the heart of the team.  You don't trade guys like them.  Hopefully Daron is on board too, because I'm excited to see what Quinn can do with him.  The Cowboys wanted to sign him when his FA came up and never got the chance.  I think Quinn has big plans for him.

I gather Peters must have reassured him this isn't some long rebuild.  I know that was Jon Allen's concern voiced to the Junkies.

I know some here say we need 5 years or this is going to take a lot of time.   But these days rebuilds don't take forever.  They have 5 picks in the top 100.  The most cap space in the league.  If teams like the texans can do it in one year, Lions in 2, etc, why not this team?

We all thought the defense would be great before last season after finishing 3rd the year before and they did it then with no Chase Young.  And then after drafting 2 players for the secondary in the draft.  We expected a good year from them.  Now some think it will take quite some time for the defense to be even half way viable.

Personally I think that's silly.  It's a good FA crop for defense.  It was a poorly coached unit.  Even Rex Ryan made fun of that point as did ironically Jay Gruden.

I was listening to a Seattle fan blogger talk about Quinn on 980, he talked about on defense he is a wiz in particular as to the D line and how he's made lemonade out of lemons in some cases as to players.   Logan Paulsen well before this hire was made used to say Parsons is a great player but he suspected he wouldn't have been great here because Quinn moves him around and creates mismatches, coupled with so much stunts and movement on that Dallas D line, that they are tough to stop.   Versus Washington who doesn't really do much to create mismatches, they are more of a just line up and beat your guy kind of scheme.

It became a joke here the season before that Heinicke opted out playing that last game against Dallas because he didn't want to get abused anymore.  He basically said at some point that the Dallas defense is too much.  I recall it well because we used the line against him at the time.:ols:

While the Giants offense for whatever odd reason is too much for our defense under Ron and others.  Dallas defense destroyed them just about always.    As the Seattle blogger said and I read elsewhere Quinn likes to add a secondary maestro to his staff.  In Dallas they had one in Whitt who might be coming here.  Dallas knew who to groom corners.  So maybe they can turn Forbes and St. Juste around?

My point is for those expecting its going to take a long time to turn this defense around, I'd bet against them.  I bet its good as soon as this season.

Screen Shot 2024-02-03 at 6.51.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-02-03 at 6.51.35 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Damn. Today’s the 2 year anniversary of our crappy name announcement.

Happy Dan **** stain day!  It still boggles the mind that the crappy mascot was not unveiled for our first home game. He was unveiled at our last home game of 2022.  Unthinkable terrible PR and marketing efforts all within the most popular entertainment field where you gotta really be a failure to fail as bad as we did.

We gotta do something about that name and mascot.

eb369c4a-330c-4fff-a4ee-807819ab0c51_text.gif.76945a6b2ed393f87be1e8e310ed51dc.gif

44 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

Lol. Man hit a nerve with that one huh? You keep coming back to it. Okay cool. You wouldn’t give up two 1st round picks next year for one of if not the best defensive player in the league. I would.

Can we get along now?

It's a choice, Washington has done it before helped win a SB. Not the worst thing that could happen. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RWJ said:

I don't know much about Brian Fleury other than being a TE coach.  I'll have to check his profile out.  Hopefully, it's Brian Griese.  

Is Brian Griese really ready to be an OC though.  I know he was a long time NFL QB, but his entire coaching experience is just 2 years as a QB coach.  Maybe he is but I just have to question it.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Is Brian Griese really ready to be an OC though.  I know he was a long time NFL QB, but his entire coaching experience is just 2 years as a QB coach.  Maybe he is but I just have to question it.

Probably as much as Fleury who's a TE coach is.  Most here are not enamored with Kelly.  As I mentioned in Fowler's tweet at the end it says that "we are considering talking to him" That's somewhat of a big if he does become our OC.  I hope that we at least approach Klint Kubiak even though the Saints already have, or it's been reported and we offer him the same position as OC but maybe Quinn prefers Darrell Bevell from Miami.  I like a lot of others would like to see some young blood on this team.  We will see. 

Edited by RWJ

4 hours ago, FrFan said:

The reason I liked the article was he started by going through the coaches hired 2 and 3 years ago and saying who would have guessed which ones would still be coaching and generally “day after” grades are wrong.

Then he did them anyway. 

At least he acknowledged the exercise is essentially entertainment. 

• Thumb up 1

We’ll have more on the Washington Commanders’ hire of Dan Quinn on Monday.

For now, I’d just say that, yes, UCLA’s Chip Kelly is a name to consider for offensive coordinator. I also wouldn’t ignore Kyle Shanahan’s potential influence in the process. Shanahan was Quinn’s OC in Atlanta, and Peters and Shanahan, of course, worked together for the last seven seasons in San Francisco.

• Like 2

Brock Purdy’s development aided by 49ers coach Brian Griese, study habits – NBC Sports Bay Area & California

Lance and Garoppolo both suffered season-ending injuries, leaving the keys to the talented 49ers offense to "Mr. Irrelevant." But the rookie was ready for the moment, thanks to his lifelong obsession of studying the playbook and being under 49ers quarterbacks coach Brian Griese's tutelage .

"Yeah, just like the baby steps, like the first level of it, and having Griese and [assistant quarterbacks coach] Klay Kubiak explain the playbook to me, I was like, man, this is so different from college, but I just kept chipping away at it," Purdy said Thursday regarding his first impression of 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan's playbook. "But I remember I was so excited back then to know it, get to that point, but there's definitely levels to it. You don't just learn it over a week or anything. It's been a whole process, and still, I'm not a 100 percent grounded in it yet. I definitely have a foundation, but there's still more that I can learn and grasp.

"From where I'm at now to where I was Day 1, it's crazy, but once you know the system, man, it's awesome playing in it."

Griese, who played 11 NFL seasons from 1998 to 2008, was hired in March to replace Rich Scangarello as the 49ers' quarterbacks coach. Griese had spent the previous 13 years as an NFL analyst for ESPN and never previously had held a coaching job.

"Griese just does a good job of keeping it real," Purdy said. "He doesn't try to tell us one thing just to make you feel good or anything. He wants to win, and he tells us the truth and he is hard on us, especially in the meeting rooms and everything. ... He does a great job of having the balance of being the discipline coach but also showing love and building you up, so he's done a great job with it.

"It's his first year, but I feel like he's been coaching for 20, so it's awesome."

Of course, a teacher's guidance is only effective if the student is willing to learn. Purdy always has been an obsessive learner, dating to high school and then his college days, when he took the reins of the Iowa State offense as a wide-eyed freshman.

"I think he's a guy who's probably always been counted out and he is always trying every day to prove people wrong, and so I think his urgency, I bet, has always been there," Shanahan said Friday. "I bet you that's why he has been a starter as freshman and one of the leaders of his team even as a young college player, and I think he came here with that exact attitude [to win a Super Bowl].

"But I bet it was the first time he felt it from everybody. You don't get that much in college, and I think you get that a lot in the NFL."

Purdy's attitude, confidence and eagerness to learn, combined with a former NFL quarterback showing him the ropes, has been the perfect recipe to allow an experienced 49ers roster to believe in the rookie and keep their Super Bowl plans intact.

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Probably as much as Fleury who's a TE coach is.  Most here are not enamored with Kelly.  As I mentioned in Fowler's tweet at the end it says that "we are considering talking to him" That's somewhat of a big if he does become our OC.  I hope that we at least approach Klint Kubiak even though the Saints already have, or it's been reported and we offer him the same position as OC but maybe Quinn prefers Darrell Bevell from Miami.  I like a lot of others would like to see some young blood on this team.  We will see. 

You can make a clear argument and see ties with Q for all the coaches mention as well as Chip. If it is about coaching experience Griese would be the least qualified but he has tom of experience in other areas. I could easily see one of these guys having the inside track. I like Smith but I don't think they can get him and Chipper is at the bottom of my wish list....hope that doesn't mean he is the choice. Figured with the delay in announcing the HC the OC would have been quickly named, like by yesterday...especially if they were coming from the Dolphins or college. 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

You can make a clear argument and see ties with Q for all the coaches mention as well as Chip. If it is about coaching experience Griese would be the least qualified but he has tom of experience in other areas. I could easily see one of these guys having the inside track. I like Smith but I don't think they can get him and Chipper is at the bottom of my wish list....hope that doesn't mean he is the choice. Figured with the delay in announcing the HC the OC would have been quickly named, like by yesterday...especially if they were coming from the Dolphins or college. 

Yes, nothing even up on the Commander's twitter page but we know it's a done deal and also think Joe Witt Jr. is a forgone conclusion as our next DC.  I think but that's just me. :) We shall see, DWinzit.  :) 

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Watching the PFF guys talk about Kelly.  They love him.  I don't have an opinion on it yet.  But lol it feels a bit like the Quinn hire if they go that directon, loved by some nationally, not so much with some fans.  I'll trust whomever they hire, am not presuming I know better.  Quinn hired Kyle when he wasn't cool, from what I read it wasn't popular at the time with Atlanta fans

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We wait.  Thank you for the input, SIP.  Good to know about Fleury.  Seems like others are a step ahead of us but again no formal announcement on Quinn as HC but we know it is coming and the DC and OC too.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Watching the PFF guys talk about Kelly.  They love him.  I don't have an opinion on it yet.  But lol it feels a bit like the Quinn hire if they go that directon, loved by some nationally, not so much with some fans.

Kelly just seems kind of, just kind of odd coming out of the blue and I still point to the "consider talking to him" to find those words more pessimistic than optimistic when it comes to it becoming a reality.  

• Like 1