Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Just now, MartinC said:

Of that list Smith is the only one who I would have been interested in. Zero interest in Nagy personally. The rest need more experience as OCs IMO.

Yeah me too.  Smith intrigued me, said so months back.  Nagy ended up a punchline in Chicago, maybe it wasn't deserved but I wasn't pining for him.

I get the criticism though of why not more offensive play callers.

Having said that when Peters said in his opener presser than he cared utmost about leadership in the HC versus what side of the ball they are on, they meant it.  

If I had to take a guess, judging by Keim.  They liked the profile of Johnson from the jump and dug Quinn from the jump and felt they'd end up with one of them.  And some of the other coaches like Macdonald emerged in the interview process. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sinews said:

And for whatever reason, and to my knowledge, not one team came asking about him or for an interview. Not this offseason. Sounds like there's something there that we don't know, and not necessarily negative. We'll see, maybe he ends up somewhere next year. 

He interviewed with Seattle and Carolina and was reported to have interest from the Raiders, but they moved ahead with Pierce. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There are no credible reports they made an offer to EITHER Johnson or Macdonald (and let's please spell the guy's name correctly.)

Do you know why there would be no credible reports of this? 

1. Because absolutely NOBODY would let that information out, whether true or not.  

2. There is NO WAY you're hiring a head coach BEFORE you have an in-person interview.  You're not making an offer based on an hour long zoom call for a contract probably worth $50 million dollars and 5-6 years of commitment.  It's not going to happen.

3.  Johnson canceled the interview while they were flying to see him, so they hadn't met in person.

4. Ergo, they never made an offer to Johnson

5. They wanted to interview Johnson and Aaron Glenn on Tuesday.  They can't have made an offer to Macdonald until after that.  However, Macdonald could have gotten an offer from Seattle, because he talked to them and they didn't have any other interviews lined up, they talked to Johnson on Monday.

You're talking yourself into a situation that didn't exist because you didn't like the candidate they ended up with.  

Not liking the candidate is fine.

Coming up with or believing categorically false stories is dangerous.  

They offered the job to both. Multiple sources have stated that. 

Believing stories that make you feel better about it is far more dangerous.

They botched the process but ended up with a competent coach. If they hit on the QB the hire will look like it was smart. If they miss it won’t. But let’s not pretend Quinn was the choice all along. That’s laughable. 

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He interviewed with Seattle and Carolina and was reported to have interest from the Raiders, but they moved ahead with Pierce. 

I stand corrected. Still, the noise being made about him as a great teacher and everything, I would have expected more interest. Perhaps one thing holding him back was never being a playcaller? I thought I read that somewhere, could be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I kinda call bunk that Dan's scouting staff has to be retained for the draft in 4 months.

Do their scouting notes belong to them or the team? 

Regardless any and all GMs should have detailed files at this point.

giphy.gif.520220cda02264aa3851524f5ba77c25.gif

Sure, you can fire people whenever you want, but what’s the point?  If no other teams are firing their scouts, which they won’t be, then you won’t be able to replace them with anyone you want.  You would just be making yourself short staffed for no reason.  Scouts still do plenty of work leading up to the draft, video scouting and gathering background info on prospects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sinews said:

And for whatever reason, and to my knowledge, not one team came asking about him or for an interview. Not this offseason. Sounds like there's something there that we don't know, and not necessarily negative. We'll see, maybe he ends up somewhere next year. 

He interviewed with the Panthers I think. Probably just a zoom interview though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

The San Fran connection would make more sense for a HC hire.

If Quinn’s your guy… you shouldn’t be filling in his coaching staff as a GM with your guys.

Actually, wasn’t Quinn interviewed before GMAP was even hired?

Not sure about when Quinn was interviewed but that is a good question. 

I am telling myself that this all new leadership group thought it prudent to find someone with a wealth of experience so they could leave him alone to do the thing, while they work on all the other parts of this organization that atrophied over the last 30 years. That's my current cope. We will see. 

But with that in mind, it makes sense to have a guy like Quinn, who is widely known as a good leader and teacher, to lead a group of plucky young upstarts with potential under him. In hopes to build a pipeline of young talent. Specifically young talent from SF offensive staff that our GM could introduce him to. And maybe those are the back channels and inner workings we will see develop after the Superbowl. Quinn joining forces with the young apprentices of old Buddy Shannahan who almost got him there. With a GM who knows how to find players for that system as well as anyone. Find us a Kubiac or three??

Again this is my current coping mechanism. If it doesn't play out ill find a new one. I am hoping this Jim Kelly thing is make believe cause then it all comes crumbling down pretty fast. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

They botched the process but ended up with a competent coach. If they hit on the QB the hire will look like it was smart. If they miss it won’t. But let’s not pretend Quinn was the choice all along. That’s laughable. 

They did offer the job to both?  Could you show a credible source reporting that?  I don’t believe that there are any.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Frank Smith might have been interesting buts he’s only been an OC for two years and McDaniels calls plays. Panthers interviews him I think. 

I am somewhat surprised they didn't interview Frank Smith, though. None of the "off the McVay/Kyle" candidates called plays, and some of them are pretty gosh darned good coaches.  Same with Pederson and others from the Reid tree.

It shouldn't be disqualifying.  

I would have talked to him, especially since the Dolphins went out after the Wild Card round, and they could have had an in-person interview with him last week while waiting for Johnson/Macdonald/Glenn/Weaver.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Sure, you can fire people whenever you want, but what’s the point?  If no other teams are firing their scouts, which they won’t be, then you won’t be able to replace them with anyone you want.  You would just be making yourself short staffed for no reason.  Scouts still do plenty of work leading up to the draft, video scouting and gathering background info on prospects.

I actually retracted from my post: UNLESS there is agreement among all teams to NEVER fire scouts until after the draft.

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Literally not one credible source has reported it. When I asked you to link them, you just said "in this thread."  

Not ONE credible source has reported it.  And they won't.  Because it didn't happen.  

You DO NOT make an offer to a candidate you haven't spoken to in person.  The timeline doesn't jive either.  

You're getting yourslef into a pretzel based on fake news.  I wouldn't do that if I were you.  

EDIT: I will drop this if you can link a credible source.  Which, I don't think you can.  Until then, I'm going to continue to say I haven't seen one, and I'm going to continue to push the truthful and accurate narrative it didn't happen.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I mean, there were two offensive guys who got HC jobs this offseason we never asked about. 

I've said plenty of times that Frank Smith and Mike Kafka would have been near the top of my list. 

Wouldn't have minded at least talking to guys like Joe Brady, Adam Stenaavich or Press Taylor either. 

Since we obviously didn't have a problem with retreads, why not Nagy?

Also you are assuming that all those OC's wanted to move to HC and were available. Some simply are not interested or let it be known through their agents. Other than Kafka, I haven't heard of anyone of them being interviewed by any other team. Maybe they simply weren't available. 

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am somewhat surprised they didn't interview Frank Smith, though. None of the "off the McVay/Kyle" candidates called plays, and some of them are pretty gosh darned good coaches.  Same with Pederson and others from the Reid tree.

It shouldn't be disqualifying.  

I would have talked to him, especially since the Dolphins went out after the Wild Card round, and they could have had an in-person interview with him last week while waiting for Johnson/Macdonald/Glenn/Weaver.

I agree. He’s probably the only guy we didn’t at least talk to I wish we had. But I think his inexperience and lack of play calling would have been a big hill to climb. 

Just now, MartinC said:

I agree. He’s probably the only guy we didn’t at least talk to I wish we had. But I think his inexperience and lack of play calling would have been a big hill to climb. 

I wish we had talked to him but he wasn't getting the job.  Neither was the Tampa guy.  Too much inexperience for all three of those guys...

I believe the reporting (from Rappaport and Schefter) they probably wanted either Johnson or somebody with some experience to pair with a first time GM.  Johnson has 2 years as OC + passing game coordinator, and that probably scratched the itch on experience.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dckey said:

Has Washington put out any press release announcing Dan Quinn as Head Coach 🤔

There is not even a story about it on the team website. Which is … weird. 

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If they hit on the QB logic would be applicable even if they hired HC like Ben Johnson. Not like he would be successful without a QB. Don't get the point there. 

Just now, Die Hard said:

Don't be so binary. How about start with somebody/anybody? From a staff that just went 4-13 and hasn’t made the playoffs in 3 years.

Well, they did fire the GM, so there's that. And Wright is on the business side, so he likely had nothing to do with the record. Calling it a red flag is pretty reactionary. He's worked with Mayhew before, so Peters knows what he's capable of. Keeping him on is in no way a red flag. Likewise, we have no idea what their roles are behind the scenes.

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

There is not even a story about it on the team website. Which is … weird. 

It will come.  My theory (until proven otherwise) is Quinn is figuring out the staff he can announce now, the departing staff, and it's all going to be wrapped up in one announcement.  

And if that's the case, then they probably need some time to fire people, to put it bluntly, before they announce that they have fired them.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Just hypothetical.  Let's say Klint Kubiak becomes our OC and we trade our 2nd 2nd round pick and our 2nd 3rd round or 4th round pick for Justin Fields and redo his contract with escalators and something like a 3-year $45 million dollar deal with it back loaded the last year with 1/2 the monies.  How would people feel about that.  He would be 25 yrs. old and his stats aren't bad. Kubiak with Minnestoa did wonders there with all the QBs he worked with.  Just a thought.  We could trade down a bit and still get one of the best OTs in the draft and Peters could trade down a bit with our other 2nd/3rd rounders.  

I personally have no issue w/for Fields being our QB… plus we could draft MHJ…I think he could definitely improve on his throwing skills no doubt.  I wouldn’t trade anything lower then a 3rd though .. just trying to save my quality as best I could 

Edited by Command The 414

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Literally not one credible source has reported it. When I asked you to link them, you just said "in this thread."  

Not ONE credible source has reported it.  And they won't.  Because it didn't happen.  

You DO NOT make an offer to a candidate you haven't spoken to in person.  The timeline doesn't jive either.  

You're getting yourslef into a pretzel based on fake news.  I wouldn't do that if I were you.  

EDIT: I will drop this if you can link a credible source.  Which, I don't think you can.  Until then, I'm going to continue to say I haven't seen one, and I'm going to continue to push the truthful and accurate narrative it didn't happen.  

I'd add the clownshow would be if they actually offered Ben Johnson the job after a bad zoom interview and before they interviewed him in person.    That would be wild.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39416878/washington-commanders-hire-dan-quinn-head-coach-biggest-questions

John Keim, ESPN Staff WriterFeb 1, 2024, 12:16 PM ET

While Johnson's withdrawal from consideration Tuesday surprised the team, it did not result in panic, one source said. Washington had not yet settled on one person, even if Johnson was considered a top target. Nobody had been offered the job. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

They did offer the job to both?  Could you show a credible source reporting that?  I don’t believe that there are any.

There isn't.  

My guess is this won't get a reply or the reply will be "it's in this thread go look it up."

Which translates to "no credible source."

As someone insightfully pointed out a page or two back, there is a world of difference between discussing potential numbers through the back channels and outright offering someone the job. If any developments happened, they were of the former variety. 

The unsubstantiated posts shared here saying the job was offered to BJ or Macdonald are almost certainly conflating the two, or outright spreading misinfo for some other reason. 

• Like 1