Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Also to have a highly rated defense you need good players.  In Atlanta the players were not as good as the players for the Cowboys.

Sometimes the players can make the coach look real smart and effective.  We will find out how smart Quinn is when he has to work

with the team we have now or with the new players we draft this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

People are focused on the wrong metrics.  DVOA is a wholistic metric that takes everything you can think of into account.  Quinn ranked 1st, 1st, 4th, 4th and 5th in his 5 years as a DC in Seattle and Dallas.  That's incredible.

His defenses didn't do so hot in his stint as Atlanta HC though, which I'm sure was an interview question for him.  I do know his defense was inundated with injuries his last couple of years there.

As far as Atlanta, Logan Paulsen said Quinn spent some time after his HC stint as to things he'd do differently the 2nd time around -- it was either Logan or someone else said this forgetting whom that Quinn regrets not staying hands on with the defense in Atlanta.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

News comes out after hours after parsons publicly blasts Dan Quinn for a bad scheme and misplaying him and others in their playoff loss. This ****ing blows.

Good, means he'll have a grudge whenever he plays Dallas now.

• Like 3

It just seems specious reasoning, at best, to compare two different people (Quinn and Ron) as if all else were equal. But I get it, these kinds of lazy comparisons and analysis are part of the fan discourse and we need to immediately have a take before anything even happens on the field.

We'll know a lot more about this hire next offseason. For now, I'm agnostic. Go prove it, one way or the other we'll find out the truth. But much too early for sweeping condemnations. Give me the OC/QB coach hires and we'll reassess. 

And one playoff loss does not a head coach make. It's just recency bias. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, veteranskinsfan said:

Also to have a highly rated defense you need good players.  In Atlanta the players were not as good as the players for the Cowboys.

Sometimes the players can make the coach look real smart and effective.  We will find out how smart Quinn is when he has to work

with the team we have now or with the new players we draft this year.

Dallas's defense was bad before Quinn got there.  But agree you need the horses, too.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

As far as the Ron comps.  They both coached defensive and had previous HC stints and made it to the SB.

But listening to Logan Paulsen who of course knows Ron and Quinn.  He played under Quinn.  Quinn is a miles sharper defensive coordinator.

And we've gone from the dude who watches games with his arms folded who rarely shows emotion to one of the most emotional coaches in the league.

It doesn't take much to see Quinn > Rivera as a DC. Lets hope he much greater than him as a HC....so far his record doesn't show but here's to fiath!

• Like 1

I'm not feeling anything about this hire, good or bad. Feels like the safe pick to me. I'm just going to try to keep a open mind and hope for the best.  I'm certainly behind the man and hope he succeeds. With that said it's VITAL we hire the right offensive coaches and draft the right QB........Great assistants and QBs can make any coach look good

• Like 1

A defensive head coach in a league where offense is the most important it’s ever been with the game being so catered to offense is just mind numbing. This team spent the better part of the last 5 years trying to rebuild the defense thinking they would channel the magic of Alabama and it got us no where :Lol: This team can’t do anything right. 

• Thumb down 2

1 minute ago, UK_HOG said:

This will be decent appointment if he gets the OC appointment right.

If he gets the OC right, we'll be looking for a new one quickly. Which is the main problem with a defensive HC. Let's hope we'll have that problem.

Overall I'm fairly unimpressed with the hire. All these reporters tweeting about his defensive metrics as a DC are also not adding any real value. That he is a great DC is out of the question (even though he has only worked with absolutely stacked rosters both time). But it is what it is. Hopefully they got it right but it kind of feels like they are settling.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I wanted Johnson. But to quote Garth Brook. 

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
And just because He doesn't answer, doesn't mean He don't care
'Cause some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Seems like Quinn was probably the 3rd choice.

He is ok.  Not exciting, but maybe he will exceed expectations.  A lot will depend on the roster and coaching staff, of course.

I'm not sure he was 3rd. Maybe 4th. I think Johnson and MacDonald were 1A and 1B. Morris was choice 2 but got picked up quick by Atlanta.

2 minutes ago, CTskin said:

News comes out after hours after parsons publicly blasts Dan Quinn for a bad scheme and misplaying him and others in their playoff loss. This ****ing blows.

Would have much rather tried with biennemy but actually given him some sort of talent to work with.

Or maybe Parsons "blasted him" because he got word that Quinn was leaving Dallas, and this is his childish reaction to it.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Belichick and Carrol (someone floated his name a few pages ago) are fossils. Fossils aren't the people I'd want to organize a rebuild that can take several years. They could very well retire before they achieve something more than a warm and fuzzy short playoff run and leaving us in the hands of a Todd Bowles coach who is holding the bag when the players move on.

True but you can also offer him a 3 or 4 year deal. The fossil gets to try and win another SB the whole while he's developing OC and DC to take over when he retires. BB wants to take Don Shula's record regarding coaching and number of games I hear. I'm ok with that. As long as he brings in young OC and DC for development. 

I wonder if Josh Harris could sweet talk Goodell and Gruden and work out some deal they drop their differences and we hire Jon Gruden. We could keep EB as OC for his last contracted year and let them combine their West Coast offensive skills and pick any young DC available. 

As to the Parson's stuff, I've read multiple times the two were close.  This was two weeks ago. 

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/micah-parsons-speaks-on-potential-dan-quinn-exit#:~:text="He means a lot to,to go around the game."

Micah Parsons speaks on potential Dan Quinn exit

Since then, Parsons and Quinn have grown close and each of their careers have found success with the Cowboys. Off the field, their connection has blossomed into something that Parsons will cherish whether Quinn is in Dallas for the future or not

"That's like my OG, for real," Parsons said on Thursday. "He means a lot to me, not only because it's just about football. We were talking today…and I said, 'You're just such a great mentor.' I think he does a great job of finding ways for you to love the game and finding ways to go around the game."

The coaching rumors is not something that Parsons is deaf to, as he has seen his defensive coordinator's name get brought up in openings. For him, it's an opportunity to make potentially their last season together one to remember.

"It's the nature of the business," he said. "It could possibly be my last ride with Q, and if it is, we're gonna make sure it's a damn good one."

• Thanks 1