Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s in his thread. They had a deal principal in place on a 5 year deal. After Tepper gave a 6 year deal with the panthers,  Ben’s side asked for 6 years and also asked for roster control of offensive players. Meaning Peters was not the decision make on who made the 53 on offense. They hit an impasse and Johnson subsequently cancelled when they were in the air to meet with him in person. 

Similarly they tried to put a deal together for Macdonald and he turned them down and told them he’s taking the Seattle job.

All these guys have egos and most don’t want to be second choice if they have other options. With Seattle going up for sale in a year it doesn’t seem like it will be as stable as here but Macdonald preferred them.

Jonson seemingly overplayed his leverage and Peters was unwilling to cede power so early into his tenure. They placed too many eggs in that basket. It is what it is at this point but it’s a cluster and no one on the Commanders side looks good. 

Even if this is true, then good for Peters for not getting bullied and caving to BJ's demands. I mean, who do these Coordinators think they are? BJ couldn't sleep the night after his interview with Seattle and called one of his players (Amon-Ra). That is the equivalent of calling Mommy when you have a boo boo. SO GLAD did not get him. He had Norv 2.0 written all over him. As for Macdonald, I'm slightly upset with him not choosing to be here. It was a risk on his end to choose Seattle, as eventually that new ownership team could want their own people in place. I'm still on team Weaver, but wouldn't be too upset with Quinn. Someone needs to get this Team pointed in the right direction again. That was supposed to be Ron's job...

Edited by Kalu44

2 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Keim sounds like he's trying to cover his bases here. "I don't know if the Commanders messed up... maybe Seattle did by hiring MacDonald."

Weak.

Yeah I think they were in deep on Mac. My only hope is they actually fell in like with Weaver, Glenn or Quinn and have an agreement of sorts with one of them. Otherwise pulling in new candidates at this point isn't a great look. That said, if they really didn't fall for one of them they need to bring in another option.

We will be fine imo. Many instances where a rebuild (which we are) takes a particular kind of coach to accomplish, then the wonder kid comes in and takes it over the hump. Not ideal but seems to happen a lot. No one saw Ryans killing it in Houston or Pierce winning in Oakland and getting the job, TBD on their success . Way too many instances where the hot candidate washes out anyway, like QBs it a crapshoot. Pretty sure any candidate we get is miles better than what we've had in some time, i know the front office will be at least lol. I do find Weaver pretty intriguing though,

• Like 2

Like the rest of these coaching candidates, Weaver is not going to wait around while Peters take his time. I believe he interviewed with Miami for their DC position. And you would think he is in line for the Ravens DC position too. He is supposedly a great interview, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was offered both jobs. If i was Weaver, I would politely say to Peters, "I would love to be your HC, but I need to do what is right for my Family and take this DC job, if you are not ready to hire me." 

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I disagree.

He made a mistake.

We all do that kind of thing. He'll pay for it, too. But I'm not going to pretend that his decision to stay when he made it was the end all be all and he has showed some dark side of his demeanor. Maybe he did. But I'm not going to make an assumption on the matter based on the fact he decided to stay with Detroit when he did.

I'd think less of him if he went through the motions of the interview with no intent to come here. 

I don’t even really think he pays for it.  If he goes out and leads a prolific offense again, folks will likely be interested again.  Likely not to the extent they were a few days ago, but interest none the less.  There’s only but so many guys to choose from.

For me though, his actions definitely make me question if he’s the alpha dog you want as a head coach.  We are likely to eventually find out.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1

I think these rejections have proven that we need to shift our focus to hiring a vet coach while we reset the structure.

My gut is telling me that our best decision would be to get Carroll or Belichick (if he's reasonable) and see if they can groom someone to take the reigns in 2-3 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s in his thread. They had a deal principal in place on a 5 year deal. After Tepper gave a 6 year deal with the panthers,  Ben’s side asked for 6 years and also asked for roster control of offensive players. Meaning Peters was not the decision make on who made the 53 on offense. They hit an impasse and Johnson subsequently cancelled when they were in the air to meet with him in person. 

Similarly they tried to put a deal together for Macdonald and he turned them down and told them he’s taking the Seattle job.

All these guys have egos and most don’t want to be second choice if they have other options. With Seattle going up for sale in a year it doesn’t seem like it will be as stable as here but Macdonald preferred them.

Jonson seemingly overplayed his leverage and Peters was unwilling to cede power so early into his tenure. They placed too many eggs in that basket. It is what it is at this point but it’s a cluster and no one on the Commanders side looks good. 

If Johnson did in fact ask for personel control on O, I couldn't be happier it didn't work out.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I think these rejections have proven that we need to shift our focus to hiring a vet coach while we reset the structure.

My gut is telling me that our best decision would be to get Carroll or Belichick (if he's reasonable) and see if they can groom someone to take the reigns in 2-3 years. 

Yup, my preference is BB or Pete.

Just now, actorguy1 said:

Ugh.  The worst.

• Like 1

Just now, actorguy1 said:

Well, I'm not enthused at all and I am pretty frustrated with this hire. I'm not a fan of his defenses falling apart or how they support high end offenses.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong to feel this way.

:cheers: 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 2

So has it been established whether Johnson did actually want a HC job (but his demands were too high), or was he always going to stay with the Lions all along?

Edit: Well, it's all moot now I suppose. There's a new Dan in town. Not my first choice but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Edited by London Kev

There it is. Hopefully now we can move on from the Ben Johnson talk. I don't know about others but I've been preparing myself for the Quinn announcement and so I'm past the disappointment phase. Nobody knows how this will work out. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, KDawg said:

Well, I'm not enthused at all and I am pretty frustrated with this hire. I'm not a fan of his defenses falling apart or how they support high end offenses.

Lets hope he / team can find really good OCs and assistants. Fine with him handling the "Leader of Men" thing and leave the Xs and Os to others.

• Like 1

Peters better hope Quinn is a leader of men.  At least this hire hurts the Cowgirls.  Not a fan of Quinn but will try to keep an open mind.

Do not want him to keep our offensive coordinator.  If he does then I will be extremely pissed off and will probably have to destroy my

television set.

• Like 2

Just now, KDawg said:

His defenses may to do well in the regular season,  but they got obliterated by GB in the playoffs.  Complete retread hire.  Would have much preferred Belichek.  

• Like 1