Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

You're right, would've happened to Gibbs here if he didn't exit when he did his first time.

What?  He was one year removed from winning the Super Bowl, and had just won a game in the postseason.  People weren't going to be clamoring for a change any time soon.

I would think (OK, maybe "hope") that the new regime is looking for a renewed energy, the type you won't find in a .500 coach. A rising star who can not only inspire the fanbase but instill confidence in his players. For that reason, I'm thinking Weaver is being given a strong consideration. I'm sure Shen has run the numbers on that approach but sometimes numbers only tell half of the tale.

Losing BJ hurt and definitely set us back, but the sour grapes part of that story tells me that maybe BJ wasn't what we thought he was. Perhaps more prone to stay in his comfort zone than we imagined.So since I am now on the Weaver bandwagon, that probably won't work out either. But this is the type of stuff that keeps us on this site incessantly.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

If we hire Belichek, then it isn't settling.  It would be a huge upgrade over Quinn.  Belichek destroyed him in clock management alone in the Super Bowl.  Heck, McCarthy has been chastised by the Cowboys fans about his clock management issues.  Quinn didn't help there.

Agreed, same as if we were to hire Vrabel, although both could appear as settling because they weren't in the first wave of interviews. But, in the end, they could both be better than any candidate hired by every team who hired a HC this offseason. 

20 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

Not true.  Interviewed 7 people.  Pretty normal.

But that's 7 SECOND interviews, there were other preliminary interviews. Including Bieniemy. Most the other NFL teams stopped doing interviews last week

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Losing BJ hurt and definitely set us back, but the sour grapes part of that story tells me that maybe BJ wasn't what we thought he was.

Losing out on a BJ is definitely a setback and sure can leave the grapes a bit nonplussed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Belichick and Carrol (someone floated his name a few pages ago) are fossils. Fossils aren't the people I'd want to organize a rebuild that can take several years. They could very well retire before they achieve something more than a warm and fuzzy short playoff run and leaving us in the hands of a Todd Bowles coach who is holding the bag when the players move on.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s in his thread. They had a deal principal in place on a 5 year deal. After Tepper gave a 6 year deal with the panthers,  Ben’s side asked for 6 years and also asked for roster control of offensive players. Meaning Peters was not the decision make on who made the 53 on offense. They hit an impasse and Johnson subsequently cancelled when they were in the air to meet with him in person. 

Similarly they tried to put a deal together for Macdonald and he turned them down and told them he’s taking the Seattle job.

All these guys have egos and most don’t want to be second choice if they have other options. With Seattle going up for sale in a year it doesn’t seem like it will be as stable as here but Macdonald preferred them.

Jonson seemingly overplayed his leverage and Peters was unwilling to cede power so early into his tenure. They placed too many eggs in that basket. It is what it is at this point but it’s a cluster and no one on the Commanders side looks good. 

I’m going to need this from a legitimate source.  

• Thumb up 2

24 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

I don't feel it's an overreaction or over-emotional to say that at all. They got caught out in a numbers game with a much higher number of HC openings than you normally see and weren't adequately prepared. Whether Peters just hadn't been around long enough or whatever... the reasons don't matter. If they come out and say "Quinn (or whomever) was the guy we wanted all this time," I find it exceptionally difficult to believe that.

The average number of head-coaching jobs opening per year is seven (citation: https://theathletic.com/5209339/2024/01/18/nfl-coaching-openings-rankings-chargers-falcons-titans-panthers/

This year had eight. Though one (Patriots) did not do a search. So it's a pretty average year

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Jericho said:

The average number of head-coaching jobs opening per year is seven (citation: https://theathletic.com/5209339/2024/01/18/nfl-coaching-openings-rankings-chargers-falcons-titans-panthers/

This year had eight. Though one (Patriots) did not do a search. So it's a pretty average year

Then I was wrong and it makes the FO look potentially worse for not anticipating it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

This is my position as well. He was and is still a very strong HC candidate - but the way he handled his decision to stay in Detroit was clumsy at best and that will be something that hangs with him on the next go around.

Josh McDaniels literally accepted the Indianapolis job. Was getting on a plane to go there and have a press conference and backed out. Didn’t cost him a thing. He got the Raiders job after that. 

I don’t think anything hangs on these guys. It’s a small pool and most know each other and the interviews tend to serve as a confirmation bias. He will simply say “I didn’t want a rookie GM having roster control of my players on offense. You however are a seasoned GM unlike that guy and I can trust your decision making. Plus I did not want to take any job I wanted the right one like this one” You're hired is the response. 

Belichick would be a hail mary from Harris and reek of desperation. Vrabel less so but I still don't see him coming here unless he commits to staying in his lane as HC and let Peters do his job. These guys just seem like a power struggle waiting to happen. 

That said, considering the current situation I guess anything could happen at this point. 

29 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We disagree. 

I think the narrative changed because he turned us down (him turning down Seattle didn't make a difference for this convo.)

Had he accepted an offer here no one would be saying a negative word about the guy. But now, because he turned us down (and was unprofessional about it) he's a bad candidate? He decided he wanted to stay in Detroit. No harm in my eyes. Could have been handled better. But none of that makes him a lame duck. 

Of course nobody would be saying anything bad about him, because we’d have no reason to…yet.  But choosing to do what he did in the manner in which he did it, absolutely provides a glimpse into the side of him that was in question- the personal side.  Everyone wanted him because he appears sharp as a whip and a great offensive mind.  But that doesn’t always translate to being a great head coach.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FrFan said:

Micah is taking a jab at McCarthy and Quinn.

Those in the know in Dallas have said Parsons is a diva. I wouldn't take stuff he says too seriously. The issues have been on the down low so far, but are quickly emerging. 

• Like 1

As I was saying yesterday, if they are settling, and it may be a 1 contract coach, do you waste #2 on a young QB that the 1 contract coach is not going to be invested in, but want to have success right away?  Is there any FA QB that could lead this team and not cost 40 mil?

Remember when Joe Gibbs returned, we went after Brunell.  WIth Zorn, was it Geof George, and John Beck?

no idea.  not having  a history of this FO on football makes it such a mystery for good or bad.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Busch1724 said:

Those in the know in Dallas have said Parsons is a diva. I wouldn't take stuff he says too seriously. The issues have been on the down low so far, but are quickly emerging. 

Really ? from the few comments I have read over the last couple of years from him he seemed to be blunt and candid.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Of course nobody would be saying anything bad about him, because we’d have no reason to…yet.  But choosing to do what he did in the manner in which he did it, absolutely provides a glimpse into the side of him that was in question- the personal side.  Everyone wanted him because he appears sharp as a whip and a great offensive mind.  But that doesn’t always translate to being a great head coach.

I disagree.

He made a mistake.

We all do that kind of thing. He'll pay for it, too. But I'm not going to pretend that his decision to stay when he made it was the end all be all and he has showed some dark side of his demeanor. Maybe he did. But I'm not going to make an assumption on the matter based on the fact he decided to stay with Detroit when he did.

I'd think less of him if he went through the motions of the interview with no intent to come here.