Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

3 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Folks can get mad if they want, I believe this.

Maybe the rest of the NFL world will hold the way he went about this against him, Detroit won't.

Folks rooting for Lions demise is whack, they've been through enough, give them this FFS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Maybe the rest of the NFL world will hold the way he went about this against him, Detroit won't.

Folks rooting for Lions demise is whack, they've been through enough, give them this FFS.

I like the Lions. I do not like Ben Johnson. Because of this and Harris/Peters not doing that great of a job with this search despite having a fairly long time to prep, we're going to end up with a head coach who lost in the Super Bowl in historic fashion. 

• Thanks 1

Boy I picked a bad day to be off site for work yesterday and today. Wish I could have seen the breakdown here live. 

Quinn is underwhelming given expectations going in but he’s also not a bad hire. I think he’d work out just fine. Would be curious to see who he’d bring in to run the offense. 

Personally I hope it’s Macdonald. But we’ll see. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Mike Macdonald really is the last big one left for me, the rest of the names we've been linked to are for me at least underwhelming.

Aaron Glenn - For me a pre requisite of getting this job should be that the candidate is at least absolutely nailing their current coordinator role. Glenns Defence ranked 19th overall on the season. I'm sure everything we read about his leadership qualities are true but if he's going to trot out mediocre defence he will be on the hot seat sooner rather than later.

Antony Weaver - Again everything we hear is great from a leadership standpoint, for me this one feels a bit of a stretch though which is perhaps reflected by him taking DC interviews.

Dan Quinn - Just no.

Outsiders - Of all the other names, I'd prefer Mike Vrabel over the 3 above, but its slim pickings. Maybe an outside chance that if they can't get Macdonald, they just go heavy on the trust the process stuff, bring in a filler HC on a year long contract like Bienemy and trade down from 2 overall for a host of picks.

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I do agree, they've been through 30+ years of bad records, it's good to see them on the winning side. BJ disrespect towards our FO must not overshadow what the Lions are building.

I wish he had the guts and respect to tell his decision to Peters and Harris face to face.

Getting mad at Johnson is a waste of energy, time to move on, he's history.

Edited by FrFan
  • Thumb up 1

Quinn's Defence in Dallas has studs all over, which makes his job a hell of a lot easier.

Soon as it came to prime time in the play offs, they were garbage.

I've just sat through 4 years of the most .500 mediocre HC you can imagine, why the hell anyone would want the same again is beyond me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ugh, so much for my offensive minded head coach. Now, whenever our OC leaves, we have to start everything on that side of the ball over again when the OC eventually leaves. I'd rather have a strong, offensive mind connected to our QB and not go the DC promoted to HC route.

That being said, MacDonald seems ok, most people seem to think he would be a great hire. Also, why fly across the country to fix an aging, falling apart Seahawks team, when you don't have to unpack anything and you can fully build a team with with all the cap space, draft picks and new owner money? I think we would be a hard destination for ANYONE who is serious about the job to pass up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Yeah that ain't on him. People are making their own choices.

Choices, that's what I keep saying, we have.  I have not laughed this hard in quite a while some really good lines posted yesterday. 

8 hours ago, bearrock said:

This is good practice for draft night.  Team Macdonald.  Team Quinn.  Team Maye.  Team Daniels.  Team OMG WE SUCK!!!!  I think we really cover all basis here.

You missed a few, Team 100%ers  Team we have Choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

That quote was from last year. 

6 hours ago, spjunkies said:

You're kidding yourself if you think this strange pattern from him doesn't matter to anyone outside of Washington.

People aren't going to part with $15 + million per year for someone who could possibly taint their franchise. He'll get more looks for sure, but this 100% is a terrible look for him.

The owners aren't going to look kindly on someone pulling stuff like this two years in a row.

And next year it's highly unlikely anybody is going to sit around and wait for him.

If the lions are in the superbowl and there are no other highly touted candidates there with him he may find himself left out because teams couldn't trust his intentions and all the slots were filled.

That's been a problem for several candidates in the past and it could certainly be one for him if the situation arises.

Listening to Keim's podcast post Johnson news.

His guest was Kevin Sheehan, who imo is a bit of a plank but I'll attempt to play the ball and not the man here. Sheehan spoke rather patronisingly on the fan base and declared several times words to the effect of Harris and Co shouldn't care one bit what the fanbase thinks, referring to a seeming distaste towards hiring Quinn.

I actually think this hiring at this time does warrant an element of fan consideration albeit a small consideration. 30 years of suffering under Snyder has come to an end and it feels like a new era is upon us, with new ownership, a new GM, 2nd overall pick, highest cap space in the NFL and an ownership group it feels can legitimately deliver a new stadium. I think the new HC has to not only lead the players and staff but he has to continue to unite the fan base and sometimes there are candidates for roles that perhaps have the credentials but it just doesn't feel like a fit. Quinn just does not feel like a fit here, and I don't see any scope for quick wins to turn what would be an underwhelmed fan base. Hiring an up and comer who will likely get more rope with the fan base on what will inevitable be a few lean years seems like the better fit and from what I can gauge from fan base reaction would be the preferred route.

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Beta, alpha whatever. Bottom line is he was extremely unprofessional with how he handled this and I hope it haunts him.

Agree.

I'll add I never looked at Beta as code word for being effeminate. I didn't use the word though regardless, not once.  But the word was used in response to my post so I responded to it then with the defintion of how I saw the word.  No I don't think he's effeminate.  I do think he lacks docurum and some guts though.   And a number of national reporters referenced that yesterday.  It's not about being disgruntled Washington fans.

Some like to focus that he's just rejected Washington and as battered fans we should accept that we are no prize.  That's the bottom line and we should forgive the poor dude for that.  But that's silly.  That's not what happened.  He did zooms for a number of teams, just about all of them.  None of those teams aside from two thought it was worthwhile to wait for Johnson. They hired other coaches.  Only 2 openings were left. 

And at a minimum he was far from slam dunk for either job.   It wasn't just Washington left.  I think its interesting that he bowed out after Seattle's interview.  Who knows how well that interview went.  And I've been consistent on this.  I wanted Johnson but said i was concerned how he would come across versus the others because he's not the most dynamic guy. 

So the working theory that seems plausible to me is he didn't want to get shut out ego wise and took himself out of that prospect or just decided it wasn't for him.  It's likely one or the other or both.  As some national observors have said, they can't recall a coach ever doing this 2 years in row.  Once yes.  But 2 years?  And again its not him about him doing it but its about him going through the process and then bailing,

With Johnson who I liked with red flags about his personality, those red flags were borne out in this process IMO.  It was Keim, not a flame thrower type who actually said the questions about Ben was can he command a room and also that Ben was working on improving his people skills.  This was BEFORE his decision not after.  As far as working on his people skills, how about putting out people so they fly out to see you and then... (This isn't Quinn flying to see them)  and then texting them on the plane, hey sorry no thanks.  Enjoy Detriot.  Tacky. 

This is the 2nd time Johnson bowed out while referencing Campbell's leadership and enjoying being part of that.  Breer mentioned he knows Johnson was insecure last year about whether he was ready to be a head coach and talked to the Lions brass about it and Breer wondered if Johnson still feels this way.  JLC on the air talked about how it looks to others like Ben likes to the security of Campbell being the dude and being in the shadows of that.

The bottom line is I agree there is no way to know what Ben's true thoughts are.  But his actions come off to me (and some others) as tacky and wimpy.  If some want to argue against wimpy, fine.  There is no argument IMO to defend him on not being tacky. 

Colin Cowherd who is a terd generally but was on point talking about the topic IMO once -- which is it takes courage to take on something before you feel you are fully ready. Because who is fully ready for a job they haven't done yet?   You need to be uncomfortable to take the next step in life for a job.   People aren't always "ready" from the jump.  But you jump in that pool.  Reading some of Johnson's comments its clear he likes to be comfortable.  But IMHO, leaders are willing to take a plunge when they aren't comfortable.  So in my book, I am glad this happened because for MY definition of leaders -- this dude doesn't fit it.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Stepping back for a moment and digesting what happened with Ben Johnson yesterday it obviously wasn't expected and through the process for a loop. But there is a process and HOG/Peters are much more prepared to deal with it than Snyder ever was. Harris did not get where he is by flying by the seat of his parts like Snyder. Harris has surrounded himself with very competent people and this HC decision is not going to be rushed or taken lightly.

We didn't land the perceived front runner, neither did anyone else, but who knows if he would have been the hire after the in person interview? Sounds like he may not have been the right guy after all?

The HC needs to be able to stand in front of a group of men and make them believe in the team and in themselves. He needs to be able to manage the development of the players and coaching staff. Have a vision that is shared with the front office and coaches. Take responsibility for the team but delegate to those he chooses as his staff. He doesn't need to be an offensive or defensive genius, he still needs to have a great understanding of that side of the ball and needs to share a vision with very good OCs and DC's. But the true responsibilities lie elsewhere.

Ben Johnson may be perfectly suited for the position of OC but may not have what it takes to be a HC. Others may be better HC than coordinators, different responsibilities, different skill sets. Extremely important that we find our Ben Johnson (coordinators) etc to lead and focus on the X's and O's. HC does not necessarily need to be the OC / DC guru.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 4